Chapter 1

Us.

"Hand in your answer sheet then you're free to go. And class, don't forgot to submit your second individual assignment by email." Madam Lee announced. ''Okay''s and ''Noted''s were heard throughout the lecture hall.

She finished up the last question of their quiz, checked her answers and heaved a sigh. "Done", she thought and smiled, satisfied.

"Jiyeon, you done? Let's go." Minjae, one of her closest coursemates said from the seat in front of her.

She looked up. "Yeah, all done. Come, give me yours. I'll go and hand it in for you." Minjae passed me her answer sheet. "Thanks! I'll wait for you outside."

Jiyeon took her bag and walked to the front. On her way, she was stopped by Anna, her other closest friend in class. "Anna! You sat at the back didn't you? Why were you so late?"
They continued walking. "Overslept and the bus took forever to come." Anna said.
They reached the lecturer's desk and put their papers on the pile.
"Thought so. Glad you made it though."
"Right, thank god. Is Minjae waiting outside?"
"Yep. Let's go eat, I'm starving."

The three of them reached their faculty's cafeteria. It was slightly after 12pm and as usual the place was packed with students. Anna went to look for an empty table while Jiyeon and Minjae went to line up for food.

Waiting for their turn, Jiyeon saw Kihyun entering the cafeteria. Kihyun saw her too and raised his arm to wave. Once he got closer, he said "Yo, Pres said we're having a meeting at 4pm later. You got class?" Kihyun is the Vice President of the Student Council.
Jiyeon sighed. "Last minute notice again. No, no more classes for today. But seriously though, when I was just happily thinking about how I can get some sleep after this."
Kihyun laughed. "Responsibilities. Gotta sacrifice. See you later, okay?"
Jiyeon waved at him. "See ya."
Minjae who was queueing behind Jiyeon, sighed and shook her head.

Minjae and Jiyeon, with their food trays, looked for Anna. "Anna, your turn. There's fried chicken today, your favourite." Minjae said as the both of them took their seats. Anna cheered, "Oh yeah! Be right back."

Minjae turned to Jiyeon. "You have like 3 hours before your meeting. Take a nap in the lab, you look bloody exhausted." Minjae said with a worried look on her face.
Jiyeon nodded, munching on her food. "Will do that."
Minjae stared hard at Jiyeon. Feeling sorry and frustrated for her friend, she said with a slightly raised voice, "Why do you have to involve yourself in every single committee there is here? Cut yourself some slack. We just started our final year and you already look dead inside."

Anna returned with her food. "Woah woah take it easy there, buddy. People are staring."
Minjae side-eyed Anna, "Let them! I just...I just feel bad for Jiyeon, okay. Ever since first year, she's been busying herself with her student council task. She's struggling and she keeps saying she's fine." Minjae panted as she said all that in one breath, fuming.

Jiyeon put down her spoon and fork and looked at Minjae, "I'm not struggling. I'm fi--" Minjae rolled her eyes, "See?"
Jiyeon continued, "I'm fine. Really. Don't worry, I can manage. Please, let's drop this and enjoy our lunch, kay? You haven't even taken a single bite."

Anna looked back and forth towards Jiyeon and Minjae, clapped her hands once and laughed awkwardly, "Hahaha haa. Okay okay. Come on now, let's eat."

Minjae released a heavy sigh then started eating. The three of them were silently eating. Jiyeon looked at Anna then at Minjae, she started "Hey, i know you guys are worried. But I'm really, really, really okay. You know I wouldn't dare to let Sir Park down, he entrusted me with the position. Just give me your support, okay? That's what I need the most. Your support." Jiyeon smiled weakly at her friends.

Anna smiled back, "Of course you have our support! You know you have us whenever you need help."
Minjae joined in, "We're here for you, all the way."
Jiyeon swallowed the lump in , "Thanks guys. I appreciate it, I really do." She leaned her back on the chair and started to stretch her neck to ease the stiffness she's feeling. Stretch to the right and to the left-- Jiyeon froze as she caught the eyes of a guy sitting diagonally from her, at the table next to theirs. He was staring at her.
About two seconds later, Jiyeon looked away slowly and tilted her head to the right, "Strange." She thought.

Kibum, who just returned from taking a call outside, sat back at the table he shared with his friend. "My mom told me to come back home this weekend. Guess we have to cancel our futsal plan." He didn't get a respond from his friend, "Earth to Minho. Hey! Minho?" Kibum turned to look at the direction where Minho was looking, "What are you looking at?"
Back to his senses, Minho snapped his head to his friend, "Huh? Oh, nothing." He had heard everything from the next table. It's hard not to overhear the girls' talking as their tables weren't that much apart. So, he had been listening since the very beginning. Minho stole a glance at the girl next to their table again.

Kibum noticed it and looked at the girl he was sure Minho is staring at, "What is it? Her? Why, you know her?"
Surprised, Minho said "Who? What? No. Why, you know her?"
Kibum narrowed his eyes at his friend, "No. Why are you so weird today?"
Minho scoffed, "Am not."
Kibum scoffed back, "Sure are. Whatever. Come on, let's chill in the library. I want to download some movies."
"Alright. Lemme finish my drink first."
Shortly after, the both of them stood up but before leaving, Minho stole another quick glance at the girl.