never not

see you in your wedding dress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mind if I join you?” Wonyoung’s sweet voice pulls Minjoo out of a reverie of thoughts.

The spring nights were still fairly cool off the back of winter but tonight it was pleasant, even in her blouse and skirt. They’re standing on the balcony of the hotel, overlooking the city where people looked like ants below and where the moon looks bigger and she felt closer to the stars.

Minjoo nods and turns back to admire the skyline as Wonyoung takes a spot beside her, leaning into the ledge of the balcony. She clasps her hands together and takes in the sight in front of her. “It’s a beautiful night isn’t it?” she says.

Minjoo nods her head in agreement.

In a few hours Wonyoung and Yujin will be married. Tonight however, is the final rehearsal dinner before the festivities tomorrow. Contrary to the name, it has little to do with rehearsals but simply a gathering of all of their closest family and friends as a formal thank you. Minjoo’s been invite - but of course she is.

“I realised that we haven’t had a proper conversation between the two of us in a while…” Wonyoung says. “...Or ever.”

Wonyoung and Minjoo rarely ever had conversations without Yujin around. Their conversations thus far have been more shallow and surface level type conversations - how are you? How’s work? We should catch up for dinner...with Yujin - kind of conversations.

Except Minjoo suddenly thinks back to this morning when she was awoken by Chaewon, coaxing her out of her dream-like state and it makes her tense. She wasn’t sure what had happened but she remembers the tension in the atmosphere. It was the way Wonyoung had her back to her, barely acknowledging her in the room and how Yujin could only offer a wary smile.

Even Chaewon seemed tense. The way she spoke was more reminiscent of her customer service voice than the one that she had grown accustomed too over the past few days. Playful with a bit of teasing in her tone.

“I just wanted to say thank you for coming. I know how important you are to Yujin, even if I’ll never be able to understand it.”

To be honest, Minjoo barely understood their relationship as well - especially of late. She often went along with what Yujin always classified them as. They were best friends, known each other since college, stuck together through thick and thin - until Minjoo up-ed and left for another country.

“You know, she was having the worst day ever the day that you finally told me you’d come and play. When I told her it’s like all of her problems melted away in an instant…” Wonyoung’s gaze travels down the streets below as she twiddled with her fingers and gnawed at the bottom of her lip. “You made her so happy.”

Minjoo dwells on the thought and curls her finger around the empty champagne glass she had been nursing. “Actually, you did.”

She remembers the constant messages and emails from Wonyoung asking her to come. When she didn’t reply Wonyoung started sending her gifts from overseas, little trinkets, little gestures and acts of kindness to butter her up. It wasn’t until months later that Wonyoung called her directly to ask her. It was easy to ignore the messages and e-mails. Easier to dance around the topic through messages that she had spent hours writing and rewriting.

Hearing her voice on the phone however was different. On the phone Minjoo lost all her nerve and caved into Wonyoung’s request.

“You were the one who got me here, basically bugged me and buttered me up so that I couldn’t say no. You’ve done more for Yujin than I ever could. If it wasn’t for you - I’m not sure I would’ve had the courage to come…”

“Why not?”

“It’s a bit complicated…”

“Was it the reason why you moved overseas?” When Minjoo doesn’t give her an answer Wonyoung probes further. “Was it because of Yujin?”

Minjoo snorts, “You know that nothing ever happened between us right?” Minjoo turns her body to face Wonyoung.

But there’s something blooming in the darkest corner of Wonyoung’s mind and she doesn’t like it. It started this morning when she walked in on Yujin caressing Minjoo’s face. It’s something unpleasant and something that she shouldn’t be thinking about especially the day before their wedding.

It’s doubt.

“Nothing?” Wonyoung gulps. She’s looking for assurance in Minjoo’s eyes which Minjoo confirms with a slight nod of the head - bright eyes twinkling so brilliantly. “Why not?”

Minjoo throws her head back and lets out a loud laugh, “Did you want something to have happened between us?”

“No! That’s not what I meant. I’m just trying to understand how you guys are so close and yet nothing ever happened. You should hear about the way Yujin brings you up sometimes. Minjoo is a really good pianist, Minjoo and I used to visit this really good burger joint, Minjoo and I went on a hike once and almost got lost...”

Wonyoung had never thought much about it till now but Minjoo often lived like a fictional character in their relationship. Yujin would tell her so many stories about her and Minjoo and they sounded like the typical best friends who took on the world. Everything that Wonyoung knew about Minjoo was through Yujin and by the sounds of it there’s a lot that Wonyoung has to live up to.

Which begs the question as to why the seemingly most perfect girl in the world never dated someone like Yujin. Was there something wrong with Yujin? Was there something wrong with Minjoo?

Wonyoung knows that she shouldn’t let herself get carried away, but the idea had been festering all morning. Then again maybe Wonyoung had always suspected it and this morning’s incident was a trigger. Maybe that’s why it’s so hard for her to simply ignore the thoughts floating around in her mind.

Minjoo reaches for both of Wonyoung’s hands and cups them together in her hands. “Yujin is loyal. She’s like a giant puppy, not just in the way she looks like one but it’s her personality as well.” Minjoo can feel Wonyoung’s fingers looping around her own in search of support, “Yujin is loyal…” she says again, “She picked you, so trust her.”

+

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Yujin leans on the counter and draws Chaewon’s attention to the silhouette of the two women standing outside on the balcony.

She had been observing them for ten minutes, unable to clearly see the expressions on their faces from the way they had their backs against the room. It’s causing her to really worry.

“What else would they have to talk about?” Chaewon rolls her eyes.

“Should I go out there and explain?”

“Explain what, exactly?” Chaewon crosses her arms and taps her foot impatiently against the footrest of the chair. She wasn’t sure why she was so riled up at the image coming back into her head. The one of Yujin with her hand on Minjoo’s cheeks whilst she slept. Wonyoung had been polite enough, or naive enough to ignore it but Chaewon knows better, knows more about the history between them to let it slide so easily.

“Unnie…” Yujin looks at her squarely, noting how her eyes were avoiding her. When Chaewon doesn’t flinch at her reaction Yujin continues with her explanation, “You know I’m as blind as a bat, I thought it was Wonyoung. Sorry if my first natural instinct is to assume that the woman lying next to me is my fiancé.”

Chaewon wants to ask her why she couldn’t differentiate the two based on the proximity alone in a brightly lit room. Especially when they looked nothing alike. But the questions are inflammatory and have no tangible evidence to support. She would only have Yujin’s words to go on and the trust they have between each other and tonight isn’t the best night to test it.

Chaewon knows Yujin’s heart. She thinks.

“Sure,” Chaewon says, tone short.

“You don’t believe me?”

The notion hurts Yujin for a multitude of reasons but mostly because it’s simply just Chaewon. Chaewon who’s always protected her. Chaewon who she’s looked up to since she was a kid. Chaewon who’s meant to be standing by her side tomorrow as she married Wonyoung.

“What can I do to prove to you-”

“Do you love her?”

Chaewon asks, eyes slowly rising to meet Yujin’s gaze. Yujin’s seen this look a few times before. Whenever the barista gives her the wrong order, when some creep steps out of line, when people are being rude, or unpleasant towards her. Point is it’s not a look to be taken lightly.

Yujin pauses for a second to register the question, “Of course I love her…” Yujin leans into the bar, “Why would we be getting married if I didn’t?”

The answer catches her off-guard but the effect is instantaneous. Chaewon feels the tension melt out of her shoulders, the grip on her drink suddenly loosening, knuckles no longer white from holding on too tightly. She lets out a breath she hadn’t realised she had been holding and breaks out into a smile. “Of course,” she pats Yujin on the cheeks and squeezes her shoulder and finishes off her drink.

Chaewon had posed the question with Minjoo in her mind but Yujin answered with Wonyoung. Of course she did. Chaewon laughs to herself and shakes her head, feeling a little guilty suddenly. But Yujin finds herself breathing a little easier the moment Chaewon smiles, her legs trembling still however as she leaned against the bar for support.

“Unnie, once I’m married you know that it’s back on you since Eunbi and Hyewon are probably-definitely going to get married next right?” She quickly tries to change the atmosphere that was about to engulf them.

Chaewon groans and rolls her eyes, “Don’t be my mother...”

“I’m not, I’m just preparing you mentally for the attention,” Yujin teases and nudges her gently.

Chaewon loves her family, loves her mother, but sometimes they clash. It’s the reason why Chaewon is glad she isn’t at home - most of the time - because it’s also the reason why they argue. She should settle down, find someone nice, give her mother some grandkids because she’s not getting any younger.

Chaewon is happy being able to do what she does - travel the world, experience new cultures and meet new people. When she meets someone who she really likes, then she’ll consider settling. For now she’s going to continue to avoid her mother until she flies about again.

“You stopped travelling when you met Wonyoung, was it worth it?”

“I didn’t stop travelling, I just travelled less and it wasn’t because of Wonyoung it was just life. Regardless it’s even better now that I have Wonyoung to share those memories with and you can have someone too if you stopped being so picky.” Yujin pokes Chaewon’s shoulder causing her to shift sideways to dodge her.

“I am hardly picky.”

“Hmmm and your last relationship was when?”

“Relationship a few years ago, but the casual things…” Chaewon winks and Yujin fakes vomit.

“Don’t think I can look at the toilet of an airplane and not feel suspicious anymore.”

“I am a complete professional when I’m working,” Chaewon scoffs.

“But don’t you ever get lonely? Like having someone to talk to just about mundane things at the end of your day, or someone to look forward to when you get home?”

“You know that the problem isn’t me,” Chaewon rolls her eyes.

“Yes, that’s right, you’re never at fault,” Yujin nudges her and rolls her eyes.

“Having my job means that I can’t be with someone who doesn’t understand that I won’t always be there all the time. Weekends with friends and family, weeknight dinners, last minute change of plans - it’s all part of the sacrifice for being able to travel the world.”

“So what do you want? Someone who drops everything to follow you around the world?”

“Hardly. I just want someone who’ll...” she pauses trying to find the right words and Yujin leans in eagerly, waiting for an answer. “Someone who will trust me...” her voice trails off, finger tracing the rim of the glass.

Chaewon remembers the long phone calls at ungodly hours and the anxiety of the separation. She remembers the frustration in the way they were both unable to articulate how they felt through words so that everything just simply came out in the form of lashing out, yelling and crying. She remembers how tiring it was always having to pretend she was happy and ok just for the sake of others whilst her relationship was crumbling behind the scenes.

So Chaewon simply doesn’t date anymore. It’s easier on her and anyone she chooses to date even if she does feel the loneliness creep in sometimes. Like late at night when it’s cold, or when she’s had a bad day or even a good one. Sometimes it helps knowing that there’s always going to be someone in your corner regardless.

“You’re clearly asking for too much,” Yujin leans her weight into her and offers her a cheeky smile. “I know you’re going to meet someone one day who will give you that and more…Who knows maybe you’ll meet someone at the wedding? Maybe someone from Wonyoung’s side? I’m saying that because I wouldn’t trust most of my friends,” Yujin chuckles to herself.

“Have you been talking to my mother?” Chaewon shoots her a glare, eyes narrow and lips tugged into a thin line. The conversation felt reminiscent of what Eunbi had told her earlier about her mother asking for her to keep an eye out on single people at the wedding.

“I remembered something I wanted to ask…” Yujin deflects immediately, which makes Chaewon even more suspicious, “You and Minjoo…”

Chaewon gulps, “What about Minjoo?”

She never understood Minjoo’s hesitation when it came to telling Yujin exactly what happened between them and yet, time was enough to make her feel nervous about it all herself.

“She was telling me how she was on a flight and placed next to an unaccompanied minor and some stewardess helped her, and I was wondering if that was your flight… since I remember you both telling me you had the same landing time.”

“Did she say anything about the stewardess?” Chaewon’s interest is suddenly piqued. “What she looked like? How she acted?”

There’s a growing grin on Chaewon’s face that makes Yujin a little suspicious. “She said she was short and a bit funny looking, talked a lot…” The indignant look on Chaewon’s expression confirms what Yujin was thinking so she continues, “But she said that she was nice, knew how to look after kids and even made her feel less scared.”

From across the room Chaewon sees Minjoo coming back in from the balcony with Wonyoung. She’s dressed in a purple blouse tucked into her white skirt, long wavy hair sitting perfectly over her shoulders. Yujin follows her eyeline across the room to her fiance and her best friend who have seemed to spot the two cousins standing side by side.

Wonyoung smiles, waves and grabs Minjoo by the hand, dragging her across the ballroom to where they were standing.

“So, Chaewon, do you know who that stewardess was?” Yujin leans in and whispers in her ear, a teasing lilt in her voice.

“Yah, Kim Minjoo, you said I was short and funny looking?” Chaewon places her hands on her hips and flares her nose.

“I said what?” Minjoo looks at her confused alongside Wonyoung. Beside her, Yujin is shaking from trying to suppress her laughter. When she fails she draws Chaewon’s attention and wrath towards her.

“Yah, Ahn Yujin!” Chaewon puffs her chest and raises her hand in the air, about to hit Yujin when the taller girl runs away laughing. She ducks behind Wonyoung, using the equally tall woman to protect her.

That’s the good thing about Wonyoung, her family adores her so much that Yujin pretty much has immunity for bringing her in. But Chaewon is ruthless when she wants to be and she chases Yujin around her so Yujin hides behind Minjoo who is still confused at the situation in front of her.

“You should’ve told me you met each other already,” Yujin sticks out her tongue and Chaewon does it back, her face extremely close to Minjoo without her realising.

“Wait, what did I say about you?” Minjoo looks at Chaewon, seemingly ignoring what Yujin was complaining about.

“Oh, I just told her you said she was short and funny looking and talked a lot.”

“Oh come on, that’s not even a way to talk about anyone…” Minjoo grabs Chaewon by the shoulders and steps towards her, moving away from Yujin to help create a gap between them. Chaewon looks over Minjoo’s shoulder to Yujin and draws a line between her eyes and points at Yujin who’s still in hysterics.

“So why didn’t you tell me that you met my best friend on the plane?”

“I don’t think it crossed either of our minds. It never really came up in conversation with you so we left it as was,” Minjoo speaks for the both of them which was a first. “I didn’t even realise that night when we were having drinks at the bar that she was your cousin till we met the next morning at the ceremony rehearsal.”

She’s still holding onto Chaewon’s shoulders, looking her in the eyes whilst reciting the story of the first time they met. A smile creeps on her lips at the warm memories.

“I don’t care, I just thought it was something that would’ve crossed your minds. Two of my favourite people in the world meeting like that,” Yujin slots between them and loops her arms around both of their shoulders. “Can you imagine if you went to college with us as well, we would’ve had so much fun…” Yujin looks down at Chaewon who only rolls her eyes.

“And for what it’s worth, I actually thought you were quite pretty the first time I met you,” Minjoo glances over at Chaewon who meets her eyes.

Yujin retracts her hands from around their shoulders and steps backwards, “Alright then… I guess we should get going…” she tries to inject a forced laugh into the atmosphere.

+

Minjoo’s at the bar again.

She promises that she won’t let herself get carried away like the first night. Aside from the threat of waking up with a blistering headache, Minjoo didn’t feel like it. She just wanted a drink to keep her warm and make her feel light before she headed off to bed. Plus they’ve just finished the rehearsal dinner so unlike last time she’s stuffed to the brim with quality korean beef.

“Mind if I join you?” the voice she had grown all too familiar with draws her from her sea of thoughts like she has been for the past few days.

“Sure,” Minjoo turns her body slightly to face her.

She orders herself a drink from the bartender who served them a few days earlier.

“D-day is tomorrow,” Chaewon leans forward into the chair, “How are you feeling?”

“Good,” Minjoo says. She’s not sure if it’s a lie entirely and even if it was she wasn’t sure if she was lying to herself or to Chaewon.

“Really? We never really spoke about everything…” Chaewon says, running her finger up and down the glass, collecting the beads of condensation on her fingertips.

Minjoo takes a sharp breath and tenses. “What’s there to talk about?” her jaw tightens as she finishes the rest of her drink.

“You can’t honestly not think that it’s not in the slightest intriguing to me as to why you’ve come to my cousin’s wedding despite the fact that you’re in love with her? So maybe the story that they guilt tripped you is true, and that you’re a saint walking amongst us - or you have some ulterior motive… like do I need to know if I need to be prepared for when the minister asks if anyone objects the marriage?” Chaewon leans in, face stern like Minjoo has never seen before.

It makes her uncomfortable but it’s not long before a grin cracks across her face.

“Wow, you really believed that, huh?”

“You’re insane,” Minjoo snorts, trying to suppress a smile.

“You don’t know anything about me,” Chaewon winks in a joking manner. “So what happened?” Chaewon asks.

It’s become evident to Minjoo that Chaewon isn’t the type to let it go easily so she concedes. It wouldn’t matter, regardless. Tomorrow Yujin will get married, the day after they’ll all fly out, Yujin on her honeymoon with Wonyoung, Minjoo back to her home in Japan and Chaewon to Dubai and then wherever she wants after.

“That’s the thing. Nothing,” Minjoo laughs bitterly.

“Did you ever want something to?”

“No, clearly I just harboured all these feelings for her for years for fun…” Minjoo rolls her eyes but her sarcasm is met with Chaewon’s silence causing her to shift nervously in her seat. “I tried to a few years ago but I was too late…”

Minjoo remembers the Christmas where she had finally mustered up the courage to finally ask. They had promised to meet each other at the bar around the campus where those who didn’t have families to go home too or anyone special to celebrate with would often hang. She had an ugly knitted sweater wrapped up neatly in a box, one that would’ve matched the one she was wearing to meet her.

Except when she entered Yujin was already sitting at the bar with someone else.

“That was the day she met Wonyoung?” Chaewon asks, voice barely above a whisper.

Minjoo nods her head.

Chaewon knows the story of how they met. The short and the long version. You don’t become the maid of honour without knowing that. They were at a bar during Christmas and Wonyoung was being pestered by the seniors who wanted her to have a drink with them. In Yujin’s version she kicks the door down, slams a few heads together and stands on top of the bar with her cape flowing effortlessly (she won’t tell them where the wind was coming from). In Wonyoung’s version, also known as the actual version, Yujin had walked up to her, pretending that they were friends and pulled her away.

Yujin asked her to join her, they were stronger in number anyways and her friend would be coming soon. Chaewon realises now that the friend was Minjoo. Minjoo who put her heart on her sleeve for the first and seemingly last time.

“You should’ve heard her call me that night, she sounded so happy. Like so genuinely happy that I didn’t have the heart to tell her otherwise.”

“You could’ve told her. I doubt that your time together prior wasn’t worth more consideration than that one night.” Chaewon feels guilty for saying this. She loves and adores Wonyoung with all of her heart. After all she makes Yujin happy and for a family as tight knit as theirs that’s all she needs.

More so Wonyoung blended into the family so effortlessly, she’s kind, polite and always puts others before herself. Yujin was always lucky like that, blessed to have good people in her life but Chaewon figures it’s because she reaps what she sows.

“I found the one…” Minjoo says, “That’s what she told me.”

“Hard to compete with that, I guess…” Chaewon chuckles.

“I guess I just kept waiting instead of moving on…”

“So when you slept with me it felt like you were cheating on her?”

Minjoo laughs, wincing in her seat, “Why are you so casual with this?” Minjoo asks, sounding bemused, looking over her shoulder at Chaewon. She’s curious as to how she’s spent the last two days racked with guilt only for Chaewon to be so blasé about everything.

“Why shouldn’t I be?” she asks, looking up at Minjoo indignantly. “We’ve done nothing wrong. As far as I’m aware we’re both two consenting adults who are currently not committed to anyone else but you’re the one who’s a bit weird about it...” Chaewon’s voice trails off.

Minjoo feels apologetic again. She remembers how she had accused her wrongfully at the start for lying to her like Chaewon had ill intentions when in fact she hadn’t. Then from every point on Chaewon, despite Minjoo’s reluctance, continued to chip away at her barriers which is a feat that not many can achieve. Chaewon had no real reason to be nice to her or to care enough for her like she did.

Minjoo wonders if it’s because that’s just part of the job for her. She must be so used to serving customers regularly that taking care of Minjoo was second nature to her. Or maybe it’s first. Maybe that’s just how Chaewon is. Full of warmth that radiates through her body - it’s familiar like in the way Yujin is but it’s also different. Yujin is flame burning bright and brilliant and can be all consuming, but Chaewon is constant and strong and inviting. It’s the kind of warmth that Minjoo can bask in without getting burnt.

“It’s normal to accidentally sleep with your friend’s cousin at her wedding even though you weren’t expecting to ever see them again?”

“Maybe this is all fate then, Miss Kim,” Chaewon says, voice low and sultry a smirk tugging on the corner of her lips like she’s joking. “I mean after all, we meet on a plane, end up in the same hotel, going to the same wedding and somehow this isn’t the world telling us that we’re meant to be?”

Chaewon looks at Minjoo square in the face and holds her breath for a moment before she breaks out into a giggle.

“I’m just kidding, you should’ve seen your face.”

“Do you really think it’s fate?” Minjoo asks, turning her body this time towards Chaewon who stiffens up.

She pauses for a moment to contemplate Minjoo’s question. She had originally intended for it to be a joke, not one to believe in this herself but maybe there was a truth to it.

There’s a long pause before Chaewon answers.

“I think it’s whatever we want it to be…”

“Are you free tonight then?” Minjoo raises an eyebrow and without hesitation Chaewon nods.

+

Minjoo leads her by the hand, the tip of their fingers holding onto each other as they walk back to Minjoo’s room. Chaewon can feel her ears burn, mind filling with dizzying thoughts as she follows Minjoo in silence. “After you,” Minjoo opens the door and lets Chaewon in first, closing the door behind her.

For the first time in a long time Chaewon doesn’t know what to do with herself. Usually this part is a blur for her. The alcohol usually drives her, makes her decisions for her. They’re usually thoughtless and without any feelings but it definitely makes it easier most of the time. But she’s so sober and so aware about how she wants Minjoo to kiss her right then and there that she doesn’t know what to do. It’s a good thing however, that Minjoo takes the burden off of her by making a move first.

“May I?” Minjoo asks, eyes trailing between her lips and her eyes. It’s so nice to have someone ask. Chaewon nods her head and closes her eyes as Minjoo’s hands cup her jaw, planting her lips right on Chaewon’s. She starts off slow, easing them into each other, developing a rhythm between the two of them.

Minjoo’s hand rests on her waist as Chaewon loops her arms around her neck like it’s the most natural thing in the world to be this close.

“Are you sure about this?” Chaewon asks as Minjoo leads her towards her bed, slowly.

Minjoo smiles against her lips and kisses her in answer to her question.

There’s no haste in the way they kiss each other tonight. They pace, moving slowly, savouring every bit of each other, delving deeper with each kiss like they wanted more, needed more. Chaewon straddles Minjoo’s hips, runs her fingers up the base of her neck and into her hair.

Minjoo is a lot more alert today, she feels every sensation on her body where Chaewon is touching her. She moves her hands around Chaewon’s body, fingers gliding over her soft skin, running up her neck and lacing themselves through her hair. “You’re not going to run off again are you?” Chaewon asks between kisses.

“No.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter