D-Day

First Dates… Don’t Always Go Wrong, Do They?

“You need to move your , Seungwan! You can’t just keep on lingering on your bed!” Seulgi tried to make her bestfriend get up. Seungwan still wrapped herself with the blanket. It was a cool Sunday afternoon. “What are you afraid of?”

 

“I’m not afraid of anything,” Seungwan said. She hid deeper under her pillow. “It’s just that… Am I worthy? She seems like a great person. I don’t know if I’m worthy.”

 

“What is wrong with you?” Seulgi sighed. “Seungwan, you’re the one who asked me to look for someone available right?”

 

“Yeah… But I myself don't even know.”

 

“Are you still afraid of opening your heart again?” Seungwan didn’t answer. After all, Seulgi was right. The short haired woman sunking on her bed was afraid to have another change.

 

“Do I really need to meet her?” Seungwan asked.

 

“Is this a rhetorical question?” Seulgi asked her back. "I know you're a renowned associate lawyer but don't pull this on me."

 

“Ugh…”

 

“You’re indeed a scaredy cat, Seungwan.” Seulgi’s phone vibrated. She got a chat. As she was opening the new chat, she giggled. “Oh, seems like she’s already on her way.”

 

Seungwan got up without hesitation. She ran to the bathroom to take a shower.

 

The power of little white lies will always work, Seulgi thought to herself.

 


 

“You ! She’s not here yet. It’s still 30 min before the meeting time, for chrissake!” Seungwan half-shouted as she sipped her grapefruit green tea ade. She was already seated in a teahouse.

Casual and comfortable, perfect to sooth the racing heartbeat before meeting the date. Her outfit was just the usual plaid shirt with black t-shirt, black pants, and sneakers. Her casual weekend attire.

 

Seulgi just laughed on the other line. “At least I got your moved.”

 

“Argh… Not like this you dumb,” Seungwan irked. “I can’t contain my heartbeat, it’s like running on my chest.”

 

“Here comes Son Seungwan our drama queen. Relax! It’s not like she’s gonna bite you or anything!”

 

“For the biting part… We’re going to find out…” Seungwan laughed.

 

“!”

 

“Excuse me…..” A soft voice interrupted Seungwan. Seungwan’s heartbeat got even faster by the smooth voice coming from the woman who called her. She counted one, two, three before turning her head to the voice’s source. Her low expectation tricked her.

 

She shouldn’t put her expectation so low. Now it was like going from the center of gravity to passing the earth atmosphere. In other words, she was mesmerized by the alluring face of the woman standing beside her. Her face looked firm but at the same time, tender. Seungwan tried to let that thought off. Although she admitted that the woman Seulgi wanted her to meet was mesmerizing by her looks, she wouldn’t let herself be deceived only by looks.

 

First impression was greater than great, but the aftermath was the most important thing. Hell, Seungwan didn’t even know if this indeed was her blind date today. Perhaps she was just lost?

 

“Yes ma’am…” Seungwan stood to answer her.

 

“Are you Son Seungwan? Seulgi’s friend?” the woman asked. 

 

“Oh yeah, right,” Seungwan answered. “You’re Bae Joohyun then?”

 

“I am. Nice to meet you too,” Joohyun smiled.

 

“Nice to meet you too,” Seungwan smiled back. “Please be seated.” Seungwan gestured to sit beside her.

 

“Thanks.” Joohyun said as she arranged her seat.

 

“You wanna order now?”

 

“I have,” Joohyun answered. “Still waiting for my order tho.”

 

“Right…” Seungwan said. “Anyway… How did you know it was me? I mean you haven’t seen me, have you? Or Seulgi was just playing dumb and sent you my photo?”

 

Joohyun laughed, “No… I just asked the waitress. Besides, you’re the only woman available here.”

 

Seungwan blushed a bit. The statement was harmless but she took it between the lines. Seungwan looked at the surrounding and Joohyun was right. There are other women but one was accompanying her child and one was with a man. So yeah, it was not that hard to find Son Seungwan.

 

“Sorry,” Seungwan said. “I thought Seulgi did something behind my back.”

 

“I asked for your photo though,” Joohyun said with a slight tint on her cheek. “But Seulgi didn’t allow it.”

 

“Well…” Seungwan gulped. “Same. I asked for your photo too.”

 

Joohyun giggled, “It’s a normal thing to do, no?”

 

“Of course. But Seulgi did the right thing though…”

 

Joohyun smiled and put her hand below her chin, “And why is that?”

 

“I mean…” Seungwan hesitated and closed her eyes a bit because once she told the truth it might be all or nothing for her. “I love the surprise I’m having. I’m sorry if I’m being forward but you look mesmerizing, Joohyun. And I’m glad that the first time I saw you was not in photo. I know it sounded so corny, but I really mean it. You look charming.”

 

Joohyun’s smile got even wider. “Seulgi was right… You’re really flirty.”

 

“I’m not… I’m just saying the truth. I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.”

 

“No, don’t be… Thank you for saying that. You look charming too. And you made my day already.”

 

“Phew, I thought you were gonna kick me.”

 

“I was though!” The two women laughed.

 

Joohyun’s order came and they continued to talk. About their work life, their hobbies, their family, and past loves… Though for the latter, Joohyun hasn't said much. It was mostly Seungwan who talked on her past relationships.

 

“Yeah… In the end she decided to marry her ex-boyfriend. It was devastating to be honest because we spent two good years together. But Sooyoung wanted a kid and a husband. And I can’t give her that,” Seungwan said. She closed her eyes for a bit. Joohyun held her hand to sooth her.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to continue, Seungwan.” Joohyun looked so worried. Her deary eyes looked straight toward Seungwan’s eyes.

 

“I’m okay,” Seungwan smiled. She held Joohyun’s hand and patted it. “And I’ve been very much single since. Been a year I guess. Tried dating apps here and there but it’s just not my thing and the thought of Sooyoung kept on coming to my head. Seulgi was worried with my condition so she tried to match me with her friends. As much as I hate blind dating, I trust her and I realized that I need to move on as well. And here we are. Glad to know you, Joohyun. Thanks for listening.”

 

“You’re a great woman, Seungwan. I’m glad I meet you too.”

 

“Anyway, are you sure you have not been dating since 5 years ago?”

 

“I am,” Joohyun said. “I wanted to focus on work and there was no one that I took interest on. But just like you, I wanted a change. I know I couldn’t go on like this forever. So… Here we are. Thanks to Seulgi as well.”

 

“Should we take a walk in the park? Sunset’s coming and the weather’s nice too,” Seungwan asked.

 

“Good idea.”

 


 

The park was not crowded. Only some people jogged and seated on the bench playing their own phones, reading book, and talking with other people. Seungwan and Joohyun decided to stroll around the park. Continuing their talk, looking at the surrounding, as they enjoy the spring breeze.

 

"Joohyun..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Are you..." Seungwan asked with a little hesitation. "Well.. this question is a bit personal and maybe too sensitive."

 

Joohyun grinned and held Seungwan's hand, "Don't be. Chillax Seungwan, I won't bite."

 

"Seulgi said the same thing to me as well."

 

Joohyun laughed, "I definitely won't. What do you wanna ask? About my love life? About my life? About my ual orientation?"

 

"Kinda..." Seungwan answered. "To be honest, I'm still a bit traumatic about what happened to us— I mean... What happened between Sooyoung and me. We were really having a lot of good times. I know she wanted a kid. Me too. But the fact that she chose her ex-boyfriend over me.... I respect her decision though, after all it's her life. But I can't deny that I'm still bitter on what happened. I'm sorry Joohyun, I know I talk too much. But somehow I trust you. I know we just met not long ago. I feel like telling this to you. I want to make it clear. I want to open my heart again but perhaps... Slowly. The past still haunts me."

 

"I understand," Joohyun responded. "When I say thank you for telling me all you stories, I really mean it. So first of all, thank you for trusting me. And second, stop saying sorry. I won't bite. And I'm ready to listen to you. I'm ready to open my heart too so don't be afraid. Tell me anything. To be frank, I really envy you."

 

"Why would you envy me?" Seungwan laughed.

 

"You can tell your story easily, Seungwan. For me, it's a sign that you're ready to move on. Because you can let it out from your mind although I still sense some hesitations. However, it's good and I hope you can get over your problems as soon as possible."

 

"I'm so glad I met you," Seungwan said. Seungwan looked around to see if there's a lot of people around to see them, not a lot of people there and they seemed to mind their own business. As Seungwan made it clear that no one were looking at them, she brought Joohyun's hand near her lips and kissed the palm. It was a slow and tender kiss. Seungwan, still holding Joohyun's hand, smiled and looked intently toward Joohyun's doe eyes. "Thank you..."

 

"No. Thank you, Seungwan." Joohyun returned the smile.

 

"Anyway... I still haven't asked my question."

 

Joohyun giggled, "It's getting dark. Wanna come to my apartment for dinner? We can continue our talk there."

 

"You sure? It's a great idea. You bring your car?"

 

"Nope, I went here by taxi." 

 

"Very well! Let's go then with my car." The two smiled, walk hand-in-hand toward Seungwan's car that was parked not too far from the park. They just walked in silence, enjoying the calm wind and the fresh air. The car ride was also serene and the traffic wasn't that bad.

 

"Say," Joohyun said. "What do you want to eat?"

 

"Anything. I'm literally the guest, Joohyun."

 

"Well... To tell you the truth," Joohyun said. "I can't cook very well. I only cook simple things like soup, seaweed soup."

 

"Let's then eat seaweed soup, shall we?"

 

Joohyun smiled and nodded.

 

"Anyway," Seungwan asked. "You haven't answered my question. Well practically, I haven't asked but you haven't told me about your stories."

 

"Which one? I've told you that I worked in an advertising agency. I think I've also told you a bit about my family. And also how I left Daegu for work and all, haven't I?" Joohyun smirked and she patted Seungwan's shoulder. She knew exactly what Seungwan wanted to ask but she decided to play it a bit.

 

"Not that..." Seungwan stratched her head and looked confused. "Forget it, let's talk when we arrived."

 

"Sure," Joohyun giggled. "You're really cute, Seungwan."

 

Seungwan's eyes widened, her cheeks were flushed. "Pardon me? Say that again?"

 

"No waay," Joohyun shook her head and she hummed a melody.

 

"Geez. I hate you, Joohyun." Seungwan couldn't hide her smile.

 

"I hate you too, Seungwan."

 


 

Making a seaweed soup shouldn't be a chore for Joohyun, but this time was different. She felt nervous. She was really afraid that Seungwan didn't like the meal.

 

"Joohyun, do you need some help?" Seungwan said after she went out from the toilet.

 

"No, I'm fine." Joohyun said as she stirred the broth.

 

"You sure?"

 

Joohyun bit her nail. "I'm fine, Seungwan."

 

"Don't be shy, Joohyun." Seungwan asked. "If there's anything I can help just tell me, okay?"

 

"Actually..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I... am very afraid this won't turn out well," Joohyun said. "I love making seaweed soup, but mostly it's only me who eats. I don't usually invite people to come to my home and... there's you."

 

"And...? What does that mean?" Seungwan smirked.

 

"Geez... I mean what if the soup turns out bad? What if it's too salty for your taste?"

 

Seungwan laughed, "Joohyun, you're just being overthinking. Be confident. I know I'll love your soup. The broth even smells good."

 

"Don't say that, you're making me nervous already." Joohyun pouted.

 

"Relax Joohyun. Okay I'm just gonna watch the TV because it seems like my presence has pressured you much," Seungwan continued to laugh. "It's funny to see you being like this."

 

"Go, now."

 

"As you wish ma'am," Seungwan giggled. It didn't take long before Joohyun finally finished making the soup. She then brought the soup to the dining table and called Seungwan. They were seated beside each other on the dining table.

 

"How is it?" Joohyun asked Seungwan who just sipped the soup.

 

"You want me to say the truth?" Seungwan teased.

 

"Of course, I hate you instantly if I found you lying."

 

"Whoa whoa, it's cute to see the aggresive side of yours."

 

"STOP FLIRTING," Joohyun snapped as she didn't want her soup to disappoint. "How is it Son?"

 

"It's freakin' good. Gosh! I'm not lying but I definitely can eat this everyday."

 

"You blabber mouth."

 

"Tsk, here. Try this yourself." Seungwan took a spoonful of the soup and tried to feed Joohyun. "Here... How's it?"

 

Joohyun's eyes widened. "WOW. How could this taste different than I usually make."

 

"I think it's the power of Son Seungwan, don't you think?" Seungwan giggled and laughed at herself.

 

"Ew... Corny."

 

"Sorry can't help it. But it tastes fresh. Best dinner of the month indeed."

 

"STOP BEING CORNY!" Joohyun couldn't handle Seungwan's sugary words and pinched Seungwan's chubby cheeks.

 

"OUCHHH."

 

"That's the price for making me giddy with your corny statements." It was now Joohyun who laughed louder.

 

Both Seungwan and Joohyun wanted to continue the conversation they paused before, but they wanted to enjoy the present moment. They were glad that the blind date turned out fun and not pressing. Great start to know each other.

 

As they finished the dinner, Seungwan insisted on cleaning the dishes and she didn't want to argue. As much as Joohyun wanted to stop Seungwan from cleaning the dishes, she couldn't do it as the latter already brought the dirty bowls and other dishes. Joohyun then went to the kitchen drawers to look for refreshments.

 

"You want to drink?" Joohyun asked.

 

"Sure, what do you have?"

 

"I have soju, red wine, and whiskey. Oh wait, also some gin."

 

"Wow, I didn't know you were quite a drinker."

 

"Do'oh you want to drink or not? Besides, it's been stocked since months ago because I rarely drink."

 

"I thought you hate liars, Joohyun."

 

"Okay, no drinks for today."

 

"Wait wait, just kidding. I myself stocked even more types of alcohol. You're really fun to tease, Joohyun." Seungwan said as she dried her hands and walked toward the fridge. Joohyun rolled her eyes. "What do you want yourself?"

 

"I think the red wine's good for now. The seaweed soup makes my body feels warm so I think the red wine's aftermath would match," Joohyun said. 

 

Lies, the reason she chose red wine was because she was aware that she was going to tell her past love story. Not a dark story, not at all, but Joohyun was never the type to easily tell the romantic parts of her personal life to other people. Especially to the people she just knew. But this Seulgi's friend right here felt different.

 

Joohyun can feel relaxed—except when making the seaweed soup—and calm with Seungwan. It's possible that the fact that Seungwan's been her cousin's bestfriend since Junior High School intensified the trust. But frankly, Joohyun even forgot that she met Seungwan today was because she asked Seulgi, her beloved cousin, to match her with anyone Seulgi could think of. Or maybe it was just the power of Son Seungwan.

 

As a matter of fact, she didn't really know and she didn't want to find out the reason why... For now.

 

"Sure... I'm gonna go with red wine," Seungwan asked. Joohyun took the wine glasses, popped the cork up, and poured the wine.

 

"If you want to take another glass, feel free."

 

"Sure ma'am." Seungwan said. "So... Let's continue our conversation back then."

 

"Oh yeah, right." Joohyun said. "Do you mind if we sit or just do it here on the kitchen?"

 

"I'm too lazy to move. Your kitchen is cozy anyway."

 

Joohyun nodded and took a sip again. She loved the bittersweet taste of red wine, made her remember that life was always a mixed of bitter and sweet moments.

 

"Nothing really serious or dark with my life, especially my love life. As I said, I worked as an art director in an advertising agency. I never took love and relationship seriously. I dated men yes but no one really caught me long. It's also been 5 years since the last time I dated someone.

It was a man from my client's office. But it only lasted for five months? Or six? I don't know. And the reason for that is not surprising. Because..."

 

Joohyun rarely told this secret of hers because she thought it was so personal and she just didn't want to talk a lot of her love or ual life. She took a breath a bit.

 

"I realized that I was never into men. I had my first with him. But whenever we made love, I felt empty with no feelings. And turns out, I just didn't have that much interest to him. He was nice and quite good looking but nothing really special. So we parted ways... Amicably.

He's now married with one kid. I also know his wife, a kind-hearted woman. And me, just pouring my life with work and focusing on my career. It paid off indeed. I can have my own apartment, I can help my sister's college tuition.

Although it was hard, but life's good. I'm content with myself. But I realized that I want to have a life partner. One day, I watched a film called Up In The Air and there was one quote that struck me, 'if you think about it, your favorite memories, the most important moments in your life... were you alone? Life's better with company'.

I know I need to find someone to share the good moments. Someone who I wanted a family with. So I asked my cousin a.k.a your bestfriend to introduce me to any available female friends. Turns out you're the first. And here we are now."

 

Seungwan blinked her eyes. She listened to Joohyun's story intently. She realized that they had quite a different background of why they wanted to agree on the blind date. Joohyun was firm with her life, and she was still fragile.

 

"Good for you Joohyun, glad to hear about that. You're an exceptional woman indeed. Near perfect, I must say."

 

"Silly....."

 

"At least I can ask for your advice on how to move on. It seems like you can manage every single thing in your life neatly."

 

"Actually..." Joohyun said. She realized she only told the surface. "The reason why I was single for 5 years was not mere because of work. It was because I'm struggling with the fact that I don't want to be with a man. I was in big denial. I tried dating apps here and there to regain my love for men, but it doesn't work. It was just not there, you know, the feeling. I hated myself for that.

Because I just wanted to make my parents happy by giving offsprings and all that jazz, but turns out it's not for me. I can't do it. I was in the closet for three years before I finally told Seulgi, my sister, and eventually my parents. But thank goodness they accepted me the way I am, although I can feel the disappointments on my parents. That's also the reason why I drowned myself at work, I wanted to forget my problems.

And thankfully the agency that I'm working with never judged me based on my ual orientation. I'm very relieved."

 

"I'm so happy to hear about that. I really hope I have your strength. You're a wonder woman, Joohyun." Seungwan smiled, she moved nearer toward Joohyun whose back was facing the kitchen table.

 

As Seungwan moved nearer, Joohyun tucked her own hair behind her ear and she didn't look straight to Seungwan's face. Listening Joohyun's story along with three glasses of red wine made Seungwan felt serene and bolder. She caressed Joohyun's cheek.

 

Joohyun put her hands on Seungwan's shoulders. Seungwan then proceeded to put her hands around Joohyun's waist. Seungwan kept holding eye contact and stared at Joohyun's lips. Joohyun couldn't help to her lips as Seungwan kept staring at her lips. Heat rose from Joohyun's stomach to her chest.

 

Seungwan's lips were getting closer and Joohyun's heart decided to skip a beat, the smell of Seungwan hypnotic beyond reason.

 

As she closed her eyes, a phone rang. It's a call. From Seungwan's phone.

 

"GODDAMNIT. Not now..." Seungwan looked at the phone's screen and shook her head. "I'm really sorry Joohyun, I gotta take this. It's my boss. Sorry..."

 

Seungwan got out from the kitchen and continued talking with her boss. Meanwhile, Joohyun, couldn't say she wasn't disappointed, poured a full glass of wine and drank it in one go. She knew Seungwan's working at a law firm as an associate lawyer so phone calls on Sunday night was not an unusual thing, but she hated that today became anticlimactic.

 

After about five minutes, Seungwan went back to the kitchen. She realized so much that she disappointed Joohyun. She should've turned off the phone. The phone call was not a serious matter, her boss just wanted to tell that his favourite football team won and not even any work-related talk.

 

She condemned herself. The situation was awkward. No one wanted to utter a word, until Seungwan took the initiative.

 

"Joohyun, it's already 11 PM. I guess I gotta get back home."

 

"Okay Seungwan, sure. Early work tomorrow eh?" Joohyun said, she didn't look at Seungwan.

 

"Kind of..." As much as Seungwan wanted to say sorry, she knew it would be worthless. She just messed the possibility of a whole good day. It was like she lost all her build-up confidence and boldness in one go. Seungwan picked up her bag and she walked slowly toward the door. Joohyun followed her and unlocked the door.

 

"So... Thank you for today I guess?" Seungwan said as she stratched her head.  "It was nice talking and strolling with you."

 

"You too, Seungwan. Thanks for today."

 

"Yeah..." The two was so confused on continuing the conversation. Both of them wanted another ending of that day. They realized it was really close to a perfect ending.

 

For Joohyun, it almost became a perfect start for a possible serious relationship. Giant leap from her current life.

 

While for Seungwan, it almost became a perfect restart on loving someone again. On opening her heart toward someone new. Deep down they both condemned the phone call that drowned their projections down. 

 

"See you soon Joohyun," Seungwan continued. "Thank you for inviting me to your home, your apartment's nice. The seaweed's the best." She waved Joohyun goodbye.

 

"Thank you once again Seungwan. See you soon," Joohyun bid goodbye as well. And she closed the door.

 

That was it? Both of them thought. 

 

Deep down on Joohyun's heart, she didn't want to part with Seungwan. No. At least not with an awkward situation like this. She knew that she could arrange another meeting but when? They were both busy. And she didn't even have Seungwan's number.

 

Without thinking twice, she decided to open her apartment door and called Seungwan, who walked very slowly. "Seungwan wait!"

 

Seungwan turned to Joohyun, "Is there something I left, Joohyun?"

 

"No, but let me at least accompany you to your car."

 

"Na'ah it's okay don't bother. You just have a nice sleep, will you?"

 

Joohyun held Seungwan's hand, "It won't even take five minutes."

 

Seungwan was a bit surprised but she smiled and nodded. She was happy with the simple gesture that Joohyun did. She also didn't want to part with Joohyun as soon as possible. Especially as she was the one who ruined the moment. She wanted to make it up but she didn't know how.

 

She couldn't think straight so she thought it was best for her to leave. Turned out it was the worst choice, she hated herself for being so dense. But hands being intertwined again with Joohyun, walking together to her car, almost made her forgot the awkward thing that happened between them.

 

"Thank you so much for accompanying me to my car." Seungwan said as they stood beside her car.

 

"It's really the least I can do and thank you so much as well..."

 

"And Joohyun..." Seungwan said. She held Joohyun's hand and patted Joohyun's palm. "I was really sorry with what happened. I forgot to put the silent mode on. I was a mess."

 

"It's okay Seungwan, things happened." Joohyun put out a weak smile. Disappointment was still shown on her face, but at least Seungwan can looked at her on the eyes and see her smile again.

 

"Yeah..." Seungwan said. Her mind was conflicted. Once she got into her car then it was the end for today. But Seungwan wanted more. She didn't want that day to end badly just because a silly phonecall. "Anyway, can I have your number? We haven't exchanged our numbers."

 

"Of course yeah..." Joohyun put out her phone and they both changed their numbers. "Okay, got your number."

 

"Yeah, got your number too..." They both put their phones on their pocket.

 

"So I guess I'll see you later, Seungwan?" Joohyun said.

 

"See you later Joohyun, thank you so much once again." They both hugged each other. Not a long hug but they parted slowly. Joohyun's hands were on Seungwan's shoulders and Seungwan's hands were on her waist. It's like déjà vu. 

 

"Take care Seungwan..." Joohyun let go of her hands slowly from Seungwan's shoulders and patted Seungwan's cheek. "Tell me when you arrived home." Joohyun turned back and walked away from Seungwan.

 

Seungwan was even more conflicted, once again she wanted more. She just stood looking at Joohyun from the back. She actually didn't have the intention to go home. But, she didn't even know if Joohyun still wanted to continue to see her or not.

 

it... Seungwan muttered to herself. She didn't want to rationalize her thoughts again. She walked as fast as possible to reach Joohyun until she finally walked past Joohyun and stopped her.

 

"Seungwan? Is there something I left—"

 

Seungwan kissed Joohyun.

 

There wasn’t a moment of hesitation.  was on Joohyun's, and they both stopped breathing.  Little shivers of pleasure shot through Joohyun as Seungwan deepened the kiss. They both stopped thinking. Joohyun pressed herself against Seungwan, sealing the tiny space between them, digging her fingers into Seungwan's short hair. It was soft, silky, and pure.

 

"Joohyun, you hate liars don't you? To be frank, I don't want to go home tonight." Seungwan had enough of being dense and not blunt.

 

"I don't want you to leave either, but don't you have work tomorrow?"

 

"I can take a leave."

 

"Same..."

 

"So...?"

 

"Enough talking, just kiss me." And so Seungwan kissed her. They wete kissing like crazy. Like their lives depended on it. They were glad to take the bold steps. Took some hours but it was definitely worth it. After all, first dates… don’t always go wrong, do they?