Delicate

A Perfect Place for a Fresh Start
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yerim laid in the grass in front of Seungwan’s house. Her hands were behind her head and a baseball cap covered her face while Seungwan assembled the ramp so Yerim could get into her house.

It was a pleasant June morning. Not too humid, and with a light breeze. It was a good morning to build a ramp.

Seungwan wanted to buy a few pieces of wood from a hardware store and make that into a ramp, but Yerim wanted one from a kit. And since the ramp was for her, Seungwan caved. 

Assembling the ramp was not as easy as Seungwan had hoped. To make matters worse, halfway through reading the instructions the temperature rose so Seungwan took off her shirt, leaving her in a tank top. 

Joohyun came out of her house about an hour after she had started to put the ramp together. She was wearing a cute summer dress and looked perfectly put together compared to Seungwan, who was sweaty and only wearing shorts and a tank top. Joohyun also carried a pitcher of lemonade. “You guys look like you have been working hard.” She approached them with a smile. “So I thought I would bring you a little lemonade.”

“Uh thanks.” Seungwan accepted the glass and let Joohyun pour the lemonade, but Joohyun seemed distracted by something because at first the lemonade missed the glass. Joohyun blushed and apologized before taking a deep breath and pouring the glass again.

“Um a little help here.” Yeri whined, stuck lying on the ground. Joohyun and Seungwan each grabbed one of her arms and carefully sat her up. Once she was stable Joohyun handed her the glass of lemonade. She let out a little thank you in between sips.

They stared at each other. “So um I have stuff to do so uh bye!” Joohyun broke the silence.

“Bye.” She waved goodbye. Once Joohyun had already walked away Seungwan screamed after her, “Thanks again for the lemonade.”

Yerim chuckled.

++

A tall girl stood on her front porch, wearing an old t-shirt and jeans covered in paint. A large black backpack hung from her left shoulder. 

“I thought there were supposed to be two of you.”

“I work with my boyfriend. It’s an on and off kinda thing. Right now, it’s an off thing.” She walked into the house without Seungwan inviting her in. 

Seungwan had found the painter from a flyer at a coffee shop. They were college students who would paint for cheap and got paid by the room. She had wanted to paint herself, but after three minutes of painting her living room, she realized she had to hire someone. 

“I’m Seungwan.” She held out her hand. 

She reciprocated Seungwan’s handshake. “I’m Sooyoung.” 

Seungwan showed her around the house and introduced her to Yerim. The only room ready to be painted was the living room, so Sooyoung started there.

++

Seungwan couldn’t hear the doorbell over Sooyoung’s music, but she could hear the loud pounding on the door. 

She opened her front door to reveal Joohyun standing with her arms crossed. She frowned and stared at Seungwan. She said something, but it was drowned out by the music. 

“What?” Seungwan screamed.

Seungwan stepped outside and closed the door behind her. The music was still loud, but she could hear the car that drove past them, so it was better.

“Can you please turn the music down? I can not concentrate with

Please log in to read the full chapter