Our Little Lioness

Birth Of A Wheepup

"What are you up to?, oh, you got the photo album out again, I remember that day like it was yesterday and I would do it all over again because it was the best day of my life. The day I gave my life to you honey.". Yongsun was being soppy again and Moonbyul sighed and rolled her eyes as she grinned, closing the wedding album as her wife sat next to her and rested her legs across hers. "I certainly didn't expect to be the size of a house this soon after, but thank goodness I have you here and you didn't take that job offer in Japan. Where would I be without my little hamster huh?. Ooh, ouch!. I wish this little one would stop moving so much and find a comfortable way to sleep that let us both relax.". Moonbyul could do nothing but smile as Yongsun sipped her tea and massaged her swollen stomach, after a few seconds, she realised the one thing she could do and so she began to slowly massage Yongsun's feet like she did every day her wife took a second to sit down.

The phone rang and Moonbyul manouvred Yongsun's legs off of hers and lowered her feet onto her newly vacated spot on the sofa as she crossed the room to answer. It was the doctor calling to remind Yongsun of her 21 week scan. Moonbyul relayed all this to her wife who nodded as her eyes slowly closed and she fell asleep just as the phone was hung back in it's holder. Thinking it best that she didn't disturb Yongsun, she went on tiptoe to the bedroom and collected the big blanket to cover her in. No point in making her get in bed if she was comfortable on the sofa.

"Yes i'm comfortable honey, don't worry, just get in and drive ok?". Yongsun giggled at her wife's panicked face, for a sec she took her head in her hands and pcked her lips to calm her down a little, it worked for the time being and she let go so that Moonbyul could get inot the driver's seat and start thier journey to the hospital. The night before, she had done a check of the emergency hospital bag and put it in the back seat just in case, this too made Yongsun giggle, she loved how frantic and overly prepared her wife was now that they were on the final stages of the pregnancy. Yes her feet were swollen and a little painful and the baby felt as though it was break dancing inside her but she was relatively comfortable and knew that she should show a reassuring outward appearance to keep Moonbyul calm until she absolutely had to panic.

They arrived at the hospital 5 minutes early for the appointment and Yongsun let Moonbyul lead her to a row of seats in the waiting area as she talked to the receptionist to say they'd arrived. Minutes later, after Moonbyul had sat down and taking a long deep breath, they were called in and the slightly more comfortable paper covered bed was a welcome change to the stiff plastic chair in the waiting area, Moonbyul was unfortunately stuck with only a cushioned chair as she watched everything in amazement, her hand in Yongsun's firmly but gently. "Would you like to know the gender of your baby?", the sonographer asked, the hint of a smile on her voice. The couple looked at each other and both nodded in unison. "It's a girl, congratulations.", for a long moment, all Moonbyul could do was grin, Yongsun felt a tear roll down her cheek as she smiled and gripped Moonbyul's hand at the news. "Would you like a printout of your scan at all?", they both nodded again and watched her press a button to let the machine know to print it out. The sonographer passed the photo to Moonbyul who leaned across and held it out to Yongsun, tears streaming down her cheeks out of sheer happiness. They watched as the woman wiped the gel from Yongsun's stomach and the machine and turned it off as she moved it away. They thanked her and left shortly after, paying for the scan at the front desk before they left.

The drive back was uneventful and Yongsun was soon back snoozing on the couch, the blanket draped over her as she lazily scanned the tv channels. Moonbyul sat drifting off to sleep in the empty squishy armchair by the side of said couch and before long, her eyes had closed fully and her gentle snoring filled the room. Yongsun felt her hand drop and only just woke up enough to deny the remote control the opportunity of dropping onto the floor and banging loudly. She smiled as she stopped on a nature channel and her bump gave an approving kick. The african plains swept past Yongsun's eyelids as she fell asleep, muttering as she drifted off to the gentle roar of a lion: "Goodnight my little lioness cub, my little Hyejinie".