~FLOWERS OVER WORDS~

Listen to What the Flowers Tell (2kim ver)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Minju is a 2nd year student at ENOZI University. Some would say she’s one of the university’s princesses. Everyone seemed to like her and she appreciates the affection shown by her school mates. However, the greatest part of her student life isn’t the student body’s attention on her but the flowers she receives once a week from a person she doesn’t even know.

The first time she received them was a week after the new semester started. A single thornless red rose was placed inside her locker with a note attached to it saying:

A thornless rose means love at first sight.

As cliche as it sounds I fell in love with you

the first time I met you.

To Minju it was baffling. How can someone say they love her that quickly and then confess it like that. It wasn’t the first time she received a confession but this stranger confessed their love to her without even having the guts to say it personally. To think that the stranger didn’t even bother signing it with their initials or a nickname of some sort.

The second time her friend, Wonyoung, found it for her. 

"I saw this on top of your grand piano after the recital practice," Wonyoung said and handed her the flower. 

It's a Gardenia and again there's a letter with it. 

The Gardenia wants to tell you

That you are very lovely Minju. 

I watched you play the piano,

It was the most graceful act I’ve seen.

 

Minju took great pride in her skill of playing the piano. Seeing someone appreciate it even if it's not someone she personally knows, it mysteriously brings joy and relief to her heart. 

The third time Minju was given a yellow tulip. It was left on her desk on friday afternoon along with a note. 

 

There is sunshine in your smile.

That is what a yellow tulip tells.

 

The act was very random but it’s making Minju feel indifferent. As she reads the short letter, an unconscious smile forms on her lips. 

The sender was watching from afar and seeing the girl she’s been loving from afar smile brings so much light to her gloomy day. 

The fourth time she received a flower was just a week after the tulips. She got a bouquet of lavender colored heather. It was handed to her by a fellow sophomore student from the engineering building while she's having lunch with her best friends.

"Who are these from?" Minju asked the student

Minju thought that maybe her kind smile can make the student speak up but it didn’t.

"The sender didn't want to reveal their identity and simply told me to deliver these to you together with this letter," the student said as politely as he can. He then handed the flowers and the letter. 

 

Hi Minju!

A lavender colored Heather represents admiration.

I don’t know if I already stressed this enough,

 I really do admire everything about you.

 

"Wow you sure have an adorable admirer Minguri," Hyewon teased after she read the letter. 

"I think your admirer must be an engineering student since that guy is an engineering student civil engineering to be exact," Eunbi told her. "Want us to track him down?" she playfully adds.

"No need for that but I hope he introduces himself to me soon. I want to know what he looks like," Minju replied.

The fifth flower given to Minju was a balsamine. She found it on the hood of her car after class ended. 

 

Please don't be like a Balsamine.

Please be patient with me

I am not yet ready to introduce myself. 

 

"I understand if you are not ready yet I shall wait for you then." Minju then entered her car and left.

"Chae when will you tell her?" Yujin asked her best friend. 

Chaewon and Yujin are inside Chaewon's car, the two made sure that Minju will see the flower Chaewon left for her. 

"I don't know Yudaeng. You heard what she said last week during lunch time, she's expecting to see a guy and not some girl like me," Chaewon sighed.

"Chaewon you may not be a guy but you are better than most of the guys that exist. You are a very dedicated person. In fact, you go to a flower shop really early every week without fail to give her some flowers along with a very cheesy letter. I bet most guys only give their girlfriends flowers during valentines. Lastly, Chae you are a genius. You are very pretty and rich as hell. What more can a person wish for?" 

"Thanks for cheering me up Yudaeng. Now, I'll treat you chicken for dinner." 

The next flower Minju got is a bouquet of bells of Ireland. Yujin was the one to give it to her. "My friend wants me to give these to you. My friend is wishing you good luck for your upcoming piano recital," Yujin told her.

"Can you tell me who your friend is?" Minju asks.

"I'm sorry but my friend doesn't want to tell you just yet," Yujin apologized. 

"That's fine but tell him that I really appreciate the flowers he sends me," Minju said with a smile. 

"No problem, I'd make sure my friend will hear what you just said." 

Yujin informed Chaewon about the turn of events. Minju was really expecting a guy and it felt wrong to Chaewon if she wouldn't be honest to her. She decided that she has to tell a little bit of the truth about her.

The seventh flower given to Minju is a purple Violet. She received it after buying coffee from the cafe she usually visits. 

"A lady asked me to give it to you and she already paid for your drink along with your friends’ drinks," the girl behind the counter said.

 

Back in the 1900’s, 

Girls would give girls they like violets. 

It’d be wrong if I pretend someone I’m not.

I’m going to be honest with you, I’m a girl.

You can decide whether to keep the flowers or not,

I won’t be mad if you choose the latter.

 

After reading the flower Minju is beyond surprised. She didn't expect that her admirer was a girl.

"You alright?" Hyewon asked her after Minju arrived on her friends' table. 

"Oh you got yourself another flower!" 

Eunbi beamed after noticing the flower Minju's holding. 

"How come you're so pale?" Chaeyeonworriedly asked her. 

Minju didn't say anything and only gave the note to her friends.

"Wow, I didn't expect your admirer to be a girl," Hyewon said after she read the letter. 

"But damn that girl has some skills, she surely knows how to make a lady's heart flutter," Chaeyeon followed. 

"So what are you gonna do now?" Wonyoung asked.

"I don't know, Wonyoung. I don't know."

Minju can't deny that she's falling for the person who's been giving her flowers but now that she learned it's a girl she's having some doubts. She believes she’s not gay. She has never received a confession from a fellow lady that it’s really confusing her.

The following week she received another flower, a yellow Chrysanthemum together with a Borage. It was handed to her by Yujin again.

 

You are precious to me and I don't want to lose you.

I'm trying to be brave here,

I’ll let you know a little bit more of my identity.

 

"Chrysanthemum says that you're a precious one and a Borage represents courage." Yujin explained to her. 

"Tell your friend that she's not brave enough if she can't face me." Minju snapped. 

"Alright, I will tell her that." 

Yujin excused herself not really

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter