Epilogue

Ángel de la Guarda

A month has passed and life has been going steadily for Yerin. It was more or less emptier than usual. What with Sinb not by her side, even the simplest things like walking to school, eating lunch and going places after classes felt different. The library was more silent and colder than usual, and everything just didn’t feel the same anymore.

 

It didn’t help that Hayoung and Joy would ask about Sinb once in a while a few days after she left, but upon seeing Yerin’s reaction everytime they brought up the topic, they made the decision to consider the mention of her name as a taboo.

 

The only comfort that Yerin got was her occassional visit to Sojung just so she could ask how Sinb was doing. The angel has been doing well as far as she was informed. It made her laugh when Sojung would complain about Sinb asking her for favors.

 

“I’m not your messenger.” Sojung pointed out.

 

Unfortunately, communication between angels and the human realm wasn’t allowed and so Yerin hasn’t heard from her ever since she left.

 

It was another boring morning for Yerin, grumbling under her breath at how she needed a new playlist to listen to during her walk to school, if only to help cope with the loneliness she felt walking alone. She headed to her locker, finding Hayoung and Joy hanging by the entrance seemingly waiting for her to arrive.

 

“Hey you two.” she greets, gaining their attention.

 

“Morning~” Joy greets back with a wave while Hayoung just smiles.

 

“What’s going on?” Yerin asked while slipping off her outdoor shoes.

 

“We’re planning on getting some food after classes today while we work on a project. Do you want to go?”

 

“I only have library committee duties for an hour, but I’m free after.” she replied, picking up her shoes, “So sure, I can go. But knowing you, you probably just want free help.”

 

“Aww, don’t be like that, you get free food.”

 

“Just know that I’m doing this for the food you dorks.”

 

Yerin then opens her locker, grabbing her school shoes only to pause upon seeing something that’s been placed underneath it. Brows furrowed, she reached forward and took it out finally realizing it was an envelope with nothing written on the back.

 

“What’s that?” Hayoung asked, looking over when Yerin fell silent before taking notice of the object in her hand.

 

“I’m not sure. It looks like a letter.”

 

“Oh! Is it a love letter?” Joy excitedly asks as she jumped on Yerin’s back and looked over her friend’s shoulder.

 

“People still do that nowadays?” Hayoung raises a brow.

 

“Open it! Open it!” Joy jumps up and down eagerly. Not knowing what else to do, she followed and took out a small single piece of paper, almost as small as a calling card with only a sentence written on it in small font.

 

I’ve been thinking a lot and I realized that I like you more than a friend.

 

“There’s still some more on the back.” Hayoung pointed out, and Yerin flipped the card, seeing a location and time written on it.

 

Library, after classes.

 

“Huh. He didn’t even make it attractive enough. It doesn’t even feel sincere.” Joy mumbles, a bit disappointed by the content, “I could do better than this.”

 

“Don’t be like that, maybe he’s just a man of a few words.”

 

Yerin tilts her head, “Why are you all assuming it’s a guy?”

 

Joy and Hayoung stared before nodding, “Of course the gay would assume it’s a woman first…”

 

“Hey, that’s not what I meant.”

 

“We’re just messing with you.” Joy laughs, “But are you going? Huh, they sure picked a weird location too.”

 

“Library? Do people do confessions there now?”

 

“Maybe they like books.”

 

“Do they like books more than Yerin?”

 

Yerin just stared at the two beginning to exchange guesses on who the mysterious secret admirer could be and she knew she had to stop them sometime soon or they would never let it go.

 

Besides, she’s already made her decision on what she should do.

 

“So? Are you going?” Joy asked as they head to their classes for that morning.

 

“They probably knew I had library committee duties today so they chose the library so I would go no matter what.” Yerin sighed.

 

“It’s an ambush.” Joy gasps exaggeratedly, earning eye rolls from the two.

 

“We’ll be heading over too just to make sure they don’t do anything funny.”

 

“Right! We got your back!” Joy shoved a thumbs up in her direction while Yerin just mirrored the move, bursting into laughs soon after.

 

Before Yerin even noticed, she was already packing up her things and heading to library as the bell signaling the end of classes for that day rung loudly across the school. To be honest, the thing about the love letter slipped her mind as the day progressed and if not for the two tailing her as she made her way to the library, she wouldn’t have remembered it in the first place.

 

Still, there was one thing that bothered her about the letter.

 

Like her more than a friend.

 

It’s as if the person considered them as friends, but her only friends are Hayoung and Joy, as well as Sojung and Eunha who she would hang out once in a while if time allowed her. All others she considers as acquiantances or classmates, and perhaps there are some that she’s engaged in leisure conversations here and there. Maybe they already thought they were friends just from it?

 

Still, regardless if she knows the person or not, she already has an answer prepared. And it was an answer she was sure to be repeating in any future confessions.

 

Unless, of course it’s Sinb herself that confessed, but what are the chances of that happening anyway?

 

Either way, though she thinks it would be rude to reject that person despite their efforts, it would be better to just tell it to them straight rather than give them false hope.

 

Having just finished exams, the library was pretty much barren that day, which was understandable since even Yerin didn’t want to glance at another formula after exams. The only presence were a few students working on a project, looking like they were rushing for a deadline, currently occupying the table near the window on the side and another student who was currently, most likely, asleep with her head buried in her arms and her backpack serving as a pillow.

 

The shade caused by one of the bookshelf made it unclear as to who it was but Yerin didn’t bother knowing. It wasn’t as if she was troubling someone else anyway so it would be best if she just left her alone.

 

She needs to focus on her work anyway.

 

Letting out a sigh, she thought back on how this would have felt more tolerable if Sinb was with her.

 

Shaking her mind out of reminiscing, she took her place behind the desk and began organizing the things she needed to do for that day.

 

Time particularly passed by quickly as Yerin set off to keep herself busy. She would scour the library for any sign of the person who sent her the letter but there hasn’t been anyone looking like that and so she just shrugged it off, thinking the person would just make themselves known if ever but came closing time and no one has come forward to claim responsibility for sending the letter.

 

Joy and Hayoung even came over to check on her but when she told them that the person hasn't appeared despite it being late, they went on ahead after telling her that he probably chickened out instead.

 

Has she just been pranked? But that wouldn’t really make sense now. If someone wanted to embarrass her, they would have called her out at a different location.

 

Not that she cares, if they refused to appear then that was their choice.

 

Yerin then went back to the front desk after finishing up and took one more look around to check if there wasn’t anything out of place. When there wasn’t any, she nodded in satisfaction before noticing something on a table not far from where she stood.

 

It wasn’t exactly a something, but someone. The same person that she found asleep when she first arrived an hour ago. The shelf’s shadow caused by the setting sun almost made Yerin miss her.

 

Approaching the woman whose face was hidden by her hair currently sprawled all over her frame, her footsteps slowed down as she found the figure vaguely familiar. In fact, she was sure she knew who it was but then there was no way it could be that person, could it?

 

Reaching out, she gently placed a hand on her shoulder and shook her awake. It didn’t even take her much, in a second the woman was stirring awake, letting out a silent groan as she lifted her head up slowly and try to make sense of her surroundings.

 

And when she finally faced Yerin’s direction, she felt herself freeze in place.

 

“Sinb.” Yerin gasped out, seeing the familiar face of the person she hasn’t seen for almost a month.

 

Said woman squinted her eyes slightly, before her lips broke out into a grin when she realized who it was.

 

“Yerin-unnie.” she greeted, “Ugh, I fell asleep. Sorry about that. I was s–OW!” Sinb’s loud voice pierced the silence of the room and her formerly groggy state quickly disappeared as she yelped in pain while holding the shoulder that Yerin just slapped, “What was that for?!”

 

“Sorry, I was trying to make sure you’re the real thing.” Yerin rapped, still dumbfounded at the sight before her. She was still having a hard time believing it.

 

She reached forward and grabbed Sinb’s arms, patting them down until she reached her hands, then proceeded up to her cheeks, her neck, her shoulders. Sinb just quirked a brow at Yerin’s actions.

 

“Careful. If you pat me down any more than that, you might be touching something you shouldn’t be touching just yet.” Sinb warned when Yerin’s hands were roaming somewhere dangerously close to her backside.

 

“S-sorry.” Yerin took a step back, cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

 

This was still all so surreal to her. Was she dreaming?

 

Pinching herself on the cheek, she yelped in pain before agreeing that she was indeed wide awake.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Trying to make sure I’m not dreaming.” Yerin felt around for a nearby chair before collapsing onto it. Sinb was by her side in a second.

 

“Yerin-unnie?” she asks in concern.

 

“I-I’m fine, I’m just… really surprised.” Yerin looked up at her, “Not that I don’t like it, but how? What is going on? Why are you back? What happened?”

 

Sinb chuckles, taking a nearby seat as well and scooting close, “Slow down.” she laughs, “It’s simple. I’m sent to guard you, as usual.”

 

“What? You mean there’s a devil–?”

 

“Oh, no. There’s no way they’ll be going after you after what happened with the high class one.” Sinb assures her, “Remember when Yuna-unnie said you have the potential to be an angel?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“They sent me over to keep an eye on you to make sure you join our ranks in the future and also to start teaching you how we do our jobs.” Sinb puffed her chest out proudly, “In short, from this day forth I’m your senior and you’re my junior.”

 

Yerin tilts her head to the side in confusion.

 

“You’re an angel-in-training.” she clarifies.

 

Sinb continues to watch as Yerin fell silent, her gaze slightly focused on the space before her as she let everything sink in.

 

“D-does that mean you’ll be staying for real now…?”

 

Sinb paused at that, gazing back into Yerin’s hopeful look. Smiling gently, she nods, reaching forward and grasping her hand in hers.

 

“I’m not going anywhere. Not anymore.” Sinb replies earning a wide smile from Yerin. Mirroring the grin, she let the upperclassman stand from her seat and suddenly pull her into a hug that she reciprocated just as much.

 

“I missed you.” Yerin mumbles into her neck.

 

“I missed you too.” Sinb replies, a content smile on her face, “Did you like my letter by the way?”

 

“That was you?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Then no, I didn’t like the letter.” Yerin answers teasingly, earning a playful slap on the arm from Sinb while Yerin just chuckles happily, “But I do like the one who sent it.”

 

Another slap, this time weaker and was more on Sinb reacting in embarassment.

 

“I like you.” Sinb mumbles while burying her head in the woman’s neck, “I’m sorry it took so long for me to realize that.”

 

“Hey, it’s okay.” Yerin pulled away for a bit to gaze into Sinb’s eyes, “Actually, I prefer hearing it now that you’re sure.”

 

Sinb humms, allowing herself to enjoy Yerin’s warmth for a few more minutes before hesitatingly pulling away so she could better look at Yerin who was looking back at her with so much adoration in her gaze that it was hard to stare back without her face burning.

 

“What now?” she asks.

 

“I’m not sure.” Yerin replies, “But I’m fine with doing things our pace until we figure everything out.”

 

“I can work with that.” Sinb nods with a smile before reaching forward and grasping her hand in hers, Yerin squeezing back affectionately, “Do you want to go out?”

 

“Unfortunately, I promised Joy and Hayoung I’ll be helping them out with a project of theirs.” Yerin pouted. If only she knew that she’d reunite with Sinb today, she’d have cleared her entire schedule so they could spend more time together, “Do you want to go with me?”

 

“I don’t see why not.” Sinb shrugs.

 

The two then make their way out of the library, Sinb waiting patiently for Yerin to finish locking up then heading to the teacher’s lounge to drop off the keys before finally making their way out of the school and heading towards the café where Joy and Hayoung were.

 

Yerin happily hugs Sinb’s arm close as the two walk side by side, realizing they actually missed the feeling of walking home together. It seems like a simple thing, but held a lot of meaning for the two.

 

“Are angels allowed to fall in love even?”

 

“Of course they are.” Sinb stared, “Why do you ask?”

 

“I don’t know, I always thought it’s been considered a taboo I guess?” Yerin tilts her head as she explains further, “Like a lot of people think love is a sin.”

 

“Love isn’t a sin.” Sinb quickly objects, “What happened to love thy neighbor as yourself?”

 

“I think that’s a different kind of love.”

 

Sinb sighs, “Love isn’t a sin.” she repeats, “I guess it’s only thought to be that because humans point it as the reason to everything. That: I did it out of love, thing. No, love is a pure thing not meant to hurt anyone, they just end up mistaking it for something else. Husbands cheat on their wives just because they love another person? That’s not love, it’s lust. It’s dishonesty? Humans should stop using love to justify everything.” she huffs as she folds her arms across her chest, “If they actually took time to look closely, then love wouldn’t be this misconceived.”

 

Yerin hummed, “Now that you mention it, I never really thought of it that way.”

 

“You have to learn these things. You’re going to be an angel too.”

 

“Yes ma’m. Make sure to teach me a lot sunbaenim.” Yerin teased, “No, I should be calling you my angel teacher.”

 

“Stop that.” Sinb whines while Yerin just laughs.

 

“I’m just joking.” she chuckles, “You’ll always be my guardian angel, nothing will change that.”

 

The underclassman nods her head in agreement.

 

“Though, if anyone were to ask me…”

 

Yerin stares as she listens to Sinb’s next words.

 

“I think you’re my angel.”


 

of COURSE it's a happy ending 〜(꒪꒳꒪)〜

And so ADLG has finally come to an end~ *clap* *clap* I honestly think this ending's the one I'm most satisfied with haha. I actually chose between two endings, but the story came up with a third one which I ended up using because the two were a bit too tragic for my taste, I hope the ending's to your liking as well. ^_____^ 

 

Thank you all for reading and I certainly enjoyed reading the comments and reactions everyone had for this fic though it may not be much of a long story, but I am thankful and grateful and I certainly did enjoy writing this. See you all in the next fic ^_^ Stay healthy and safe everyone ~  Cheers!