Chapter 4

Ángel de la Guarda

Fear gripped her heart like a vice and it was the only thing that made sense to her in that moment. She was about to pass out from it but miraculously stayed awake.

 

If this was a dream, she wanted to wake up, but it felt too real to be a dream. She’s had dreams of falling but it was nothing like this. It felt nothing like this and all she could think was the impact that was soon to occur any second now.

 

Help.

 

The one word resounded in her head loudly like a megaphone in her ear.

 

Someone, please help me.

 

Her ears were soon registering the sounds on the ground below and she knew that she didn’t have much time left. It was too late. She’s going to die and no one is coming to save her. Who could in the first place?

 

All she could do was shut her eyes and wait for the inevitable. She could only pray for it to be painless.

 

A split second later she felt something crash into her side, nearly knocking the wind out of her, but unlike what she expected it was a lot less force than she thought. Through closed lids, what seemingly felt like arms had wrapped around her and pulled her into towards something soft before suddenly being spun around and then her entire body felt as if it’s being pressed down by so much force as she hears the sound of someone grunting in pain, something hitting the pavement hard and the sound of something skidding against the ground until everything was silent sans the sound of her heavy breathing and her heart pounding loudly in her ears.

 

“Damn, kinetic force is a .” she hears someone squeaking out, to her surprise given that it wasn’t her voice that was speaking. That voice though… she would know that voice anywhere.

 

Opening her eyes slowly, the first thing that came to her mind was that she was alive and safe, though she could feel her wrist slightly sore, but she was otherwise in one piece.

 

And the second was that her sight was overcome by the familiar sight of her school’s logo.

 

Another groan sounded from underneath her.

 

“Hey, if you can stand can you maybe get off of me sometime soon…?” the person spoke, causing her eyes to widen. She pushed herself up, finding it difficult as she was still shaking uncontrollably, until she finally got a better look of what, or rather, who saved her.

 

“Sinb…?” Yerin gasped out, her eyes taking in the sight of the woman underneath her in disbelief.

 

Sinb manages a pained smile and wave to her in reply before trying to sit up with a lot of cursing and groaning and complaining in the process.

 

“Damn Isaac Newton for discovering gravity.” she was grumbling.

 

“To be fair, gravity existed before Newton discovered it.” a new voice joined them, “I could have handled that a bit better though.”

 

“No one asked you.” Sinb snapped at the other person, Yerin looking up momentarily to see Sojung walking over to them, “I’m sure your idea isn’t all that better anyway.”

 

“At least it wouldn’t break your arm.”

 

“Well too late for that because we did it my way anyway.” Sinb stuck her tongue out at her, “And my arm’s fine. Just grazed, but not broken.”

 

Meanwhile Yerin just sat there, watching the two blankly. Her brain was still trying to understand what was going on but was failing miserably.

 

At that point, she thought it was just better to pass out and forget everything but her body was a little bit stubborn this time. She doesn’t even remember drinking any coffee to keep her this awake despite what happened.

 

“Yerin. Yerin-unnie.” Sinb called, waving a hand in front of her face, but she was unresponsive.

 

“Did you break her?”

 

“Of course I didn’t.” Sinb glared, “I think she’s just shocked and confused.”

 

“An understatement.” Sojung replied, completely unfazed by the glare sent her way.

 

“Yerin-unnie.” Sinb grabbed her arms gently and shook her, “Yerin-unnie, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?”

 

Yerin finally managed to gather her thoughts a bit and managed a nod, her body still shaking uncontrollably from the horrifying experience. Sinb’s gaze softened at this and adjusted a bit until she could wrap her arms properly around the woman and bring her in a hug. It was then that the dam broke and the first sob escaped Yerin’s lips.

 

Reaching forward, she wrapped her arms around Sinb almost desperately as she cried, the whole ordeal finally crashing onto her. Yerin couldn’t even close her eyes as the action would cause her to remember what she just experienced and relive the terror that came along with it.

 

“You’re okay. I’m here.” Sinb’s soft, comforting voice was the only thing keeping her sanity intact.

 

It felt like a hours before Yerin finally managed to calm down, her sobs reduced to sniffles and her shaking lessened, but her grip around Sinb refused to budge so they decided to keep it that way.

 

“I-I don’t understand what happened,” she sniffles, “One minute I was on the couch back home and then… and then I’m hundreds of feet up…”

 

Sojung hummed, looking up at the tower, “It must have been pretty bad if he was able to transport you all the way there.”

 

“What is going on anyway?” Yerin questioned, “And I want to hear the whole truth.”

 

“I’m afraid we have to save that for later.” Sojung informed her, “That devil’s out wrecking havoc and we’ve wasted too much time standing here.”

 

“There’s no way we can deal with him ourselves.” Sinb points out, “He’s too powerful for us.”

 

“True, but we can buy some time.” she answered, “Yewon managed to send for help.”

 

“Yewon? Is she okay?” Sinb asked worriedly.

 

“She’s okay and her charge too.” Sojung smiled a bit, “That devil made the wrong move to anger our little Yewon like that, she’s now going all out as we speak. Yerin-ssi, did that devil say anything to you?”

 

“Devil?” Yerin questioned.

 

“Sojeun.” Sinb clarifies.

 

“He…” Yerin didn’t even bother questioning why they call him that and searches her brain to remember to answer their question, “He said something about purity and tainting with sin and getting rid of me instead.”

 

The two were silent for a while, letting her words sink in when Sojung sighs.

 

“Figures why he’d go through lengths to get to you.” Sojung mumbles, combing her hair back, “The last thing he wants is another enemy angel.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Sinb, stay with her. She’s going to be someone important in the long run. I’ll go buy our backup some time.” Sojung ordered, stretching her shoulders a bit before a pair of snow white wings explode behind her. Yerin yelps in surprise at the sudden appearance, her eyes widening like dinner plates as if making sure that she wasn’t seeing things.

 

Those are wings. Those are definitely wings, but last she checked Sojung wasn’t a bird so why… what in the world is this? What the ?

 

She turns to Sinb but found the woman unfazed by the sight before her, as if she’s already seen it a hundred times.

 

“By the way, did Yewon mention who is coming to help?” Sinb asks.

 

“She didn’t. But given it’s her that’s requesting, I wouldn’t be surprised if Yuna came herself.”

 

Sinb nods, “High Angel for High Class Devil. Makes sense.” she turns to Sojung again, “Are you sure you don’t need help?”

 

Sojung returns the look before shifting her gaze to Yerin, “I think she needs you more than I do.”

 

Flapping her wings once, Sojung spread them out widely, giving the amazed Yerin a good view of her wings and with another resounding flap, Yerin nearly snapped her neck upwards with how Sojung quickly rose to the air like a rocket, not even minding the sudden burst of wind that slapped her face at the motion. Blinking repeatedly as she tried to register the sight of something flying in the air that wasn’t a plane or a bird, she has almost completely forgotten the traumatic experience she’s gone through not a few moments ago only to comprehend everything she was seeing.

 

“You look like this is your first time seeing wings.” Sinb remarked, noticing the expression on her face.

 

Yerin turned to her, face incredulous, “It’s not, but it’s my first time seeing ones that big. But nevermind that, I think it’s high time I deserve an explanation.”

 

Sinb sighed, looking like she’s been dreading this moment and began to tell her everything she knows, starting from the angels.

 

“So when you said you’ve been sent to protect me, you mean you’re a guardian angel?”

 

Sinb nods.

 

Yerin just stares.

 

“Why do you look like you don’t believe me?”

 

“You don’t really look like angel material.” she answered bluntly, laughing at the offended look on Sinb’s face, “Joking. So does that mean everyone in school has one?”

 

“Not really, we only get assigned when there’s a threat.” Sinb explained, “Hence, the devils. When a human is a possible target of a devil, it’s then we’re sent to deal with it. We’re more or less assigned to low-class ones, like your first two friends.”

 

Yerin’s eyes widened at the information, “No wonder they always got me into trouble.”

 

“Their job is to tempt and taint you with sin.” she explained further, “By tempting you to make bad decisions and ruining your life in the long run, we’re sent to help out the ones who are pure, hence the one who can resist temptations more than the average human can.”

 

“Why can’t you just tell me you’re an angel and get rid of the devils?”

 

Sinb stared at her blankly, “Are you even going to believe me if I did that?”

 

“…Fair point.”

 

Sinb just chuckled, “Anyway, we have a lot of reasons why we can’t reveal ourselves to anyone besides the fact no one really believes we exist.”

 

“What about that thing with Sojung-unnie before? The one before we–” Yerin stopped once she realized what she was asking.

 

The one before we fought. she continued in her head.

 

Sinb seems to have noticed as well and fell silent, mindlessly tapping her fingers against her knees.

 

“Ah that?” Sinb cleared , “Sojung found out that Yewon’s charge was being taken hostage and made her keep my eyes away from you for the past days.”

 

“That was the time that Yewon kept on calling you?”

 

She nods, “We were first informed that Sojeun was a mid-class devil but Sojung found out he was actually high-class. Those devils, unlike the lower tiers, can actually harm humans once they’re tainted with a capital sin.”

 

“What does that have to do with me?”

 

“Well…” Sinb paused, seemingly gathering her thoughts before replying, “Sojung said that he’s targeting everyone who is close to their guardian angel. High class devils have enough power to do that and I got mad at Sojung because I thought she was the reason why I got close to you in the first place, but then it turns out that it was Eunha.”

 

“Eunha is…?”

 

“She’s the one Sojung’s looking after.”

 

Yerin nods her head, finally getting a clearer picture of what was happening.

 

“So… Eunha has actually already been affected by Sojeun?”

 

Sinb nods, “Sojung says she’s okay now, but the effects are still there. She told me that Sojeun had Eunha do what she did to plant a seed.”

 

“Plant a seed?”

 

“It’s what we call the start of a capital sin.” Sinb explains, "You know; pride, sloth, gluttony and all that. They usually start small, like how people become successful once and then the devil strikes, manipulating their thoughts into wanting more and they get greedy for things?

 

Anyway, usually when that happens, it requires extra effort to get them back on track while undercover and stuff." she sighs, “He’s somehow planted something in you. I don’t know what it is just yet, but if he went to the extent of getting rid of you instead of going through with the process, he probably didn’t succeed so you can relax.”

 

Yerin was relieved. She was just glad that whatever weird thing that devil planted in her was gone, though she has a vague idea on what capital sin she might have.

 

“I’m sorry.” Sinb suddenly spoke in a soft voice making Yerin turn to her.

 

“For what?”

 

“For keeping things from you.” she replied, “Angels like us can’t really lie, so the only thing we can do is stay quiet.”

 

Yerin waved it off, smiling, “To be fair, it’s not something you can just share easily. In fact, I should be the one apologizing for doing all those things to you.”

 

“Hey, I won’t fault you for that.” Sinb answered, gaze softening as she continued to stare, “It’s only natural for you to doubt and be angry. It’s human nature after all.”

 

“Still…” Yerin rubbed her wrist gently, “I should have continued to have faith in you. You’ve done more good for me than I could remember and then comes one bad thing, all of a sudden I question everything.”

 

Sinb smiles, reaching over and grasping her good hand in hers, “At least you chose to believe, right? You called for me and I came. If anything it was because you believed that I was able to make it to you in time.”

 

“I haven’t thanked you for saving me yet.” Yerin suddenly realized. With everything that’s happened, common courtesy has slipped her mind.

 

“You don’t have to, I’m just more than relieved you’re okay.”

 

“Still, thank you.” Yerin says, causing Sinb’s smile to widen.

 

“Are we okay now?” Sinb asked.

 

“You don’t have to ask that, of course we’re okay.” she answers, mirroring the happy, ecstatic smile on Sinb’s face and finding herself staring fondly at how cute she looked, “I just want to know one thing though…”

 

Sinb paused her internal celebrating and once more gave Yerin her undivided attention.

 

“Do you regret being friends with me?”

 

Instead of a quick denial, Sinb just smiles and answers, “The only thing I regret right now is not being friends with you sooner. I won’t lie. I really don’t think I would have approached if you weren’t my charge, but then things happen for a reason and right now I’m thankful that it happened because I got to know you better. I really enjoyed every single time we spent together, even if it was just sitting in the library or just walking home from school and vice versa.” Sinb scratched her cheek shyly as she continued, and Yerin could tell that she wasn’t the type that was honest with her feelings since she was struggling a little in her words and sounded a bit shaky and shy and nervous, but it made her statement all the more important.

 

Yerin feels her cheeks burn a little and berates herself for doubting her for even a second. Sinb treasured their friendship, nothing in it was faked. Though she still questions her real feelings for the woman, she’s okay with this arrangement and besides, they have the time to figure it out.

 

 

 

A few minutes later, Sinb looks up to the skies, searching.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Sojung’s taking her time.” the angel pursed her lips as she looked on in worry. It was then that her phone suddenly rang and she didn’t waste time to pick it up. It was Yewon.

 

Putting it on loudspeaker, she spoke, “Yewon?”

 

“Get out of there now! He’s heading your way!”

 

Eyes wide, she was about to stand up when a figure swiftly landed in front of them before any of them even had time to react.

 

“You’re more stubborn that I thought.” Sinb instinctively placed herself between Yerin and Sojeun, looking menacingly at the figure before them.

 

“Sinb!” Sojung suddenly dropped down from above the same time Sojeun leapt back, just in time to avoid the drop kick aimed at him.

 

“What happened?”

 

“He’s good at running away.” she replied, bolting forward to attack again only to be dodged.

 

“Yerin-unnie, stay put.” Sinb grunted a bit as her wings exploded behind her, Yerin flinching in surprise. Sinb returned Yerin’s glare with a sheepish grin before refocusing on the two fighting right in front of her.

 

Stretching her arms, the familiar weight of her guns materialized themselves in her hands, ready to be used.

 

“I didn’t know angels also use guns.” Yerin couldn’t help but remark, momentarily distracted from her amazement of seeing Sinb’s wings.

 

“We have to keep up with times.” she just answered before rushing forward. Sojung took a cursory glance at the new presence and a grin overtook her features as she took a leap back from Sojeun, Sinb taking this as her cue to open fire. And she did.

 

Sojeun found himself being shot once before he growled, spreading his own bat-like wings and shielding himself from the bullets pelting on him.

 

Sinb frowned when she ran out of bullets, taking off from the ground just in time to avoid the spear about to pierce her wing.

 

“So it’s true they have a better resilience to holy items.” Sinb mumbled to herself, swiftly reloading her weapons meanwhile Sojung has gone back on the offensive, kicking and punching, trying to land a hit but her opponent was too swift for her as he successfully avoids every single one. Still, their initial goal was to buy time. They’d be lucky enough to actually incapacitate him, but it was a given that he was a powerful enemy and their abilities wouldn’t be enough.

 

Sinb breathed in, chanting a soft prayer under her breath before aiming her gun one more time, “Amen.”

 

She fired and this time, it actually did some damage as it burned a hole through the devil’s wing. A screech of pain could be heard as he stumbled.

 

Sojung took that as her chance, landing a solid right hook on his jaw which made him stumble further as he tried to recover from the pain.

 

“Can’t you do that again?” Yerin asked, removing her hands from her ears for a second, “And aim for the head this time.”

 

“Listen unnie, they’re not human so they don’t have a weak spot.” Sinb remarked as she fired again, “They just take the form of humans.”

 

“ENOUGH!” Sojeun suddenly yelled, swiftly countering Sojung’s kick with his own. He then spread his wings once more and sped towards where Sinb stood.

 

The angel was barely able to grab Yerin and move her out of they way before they got pierced by the spear he held.

 

“You should have just fell and stayed dead!” Sojeun exclaimed, rocketing towards them again but missed as Sojung flew towards him and redirected his aim with a swift kick.

 

“So you’re coming back for her to finish the job?” Sojung questions as she pants heavily. The power of a high class devil was definitely taking its toll on her, “Because she’s going to be an angel too?”

 

Yerin stiffened upon hearing those words, taking a minute to check if she heard right then turning quickly to Sinb for answers. Sinb just stares back, holds her hand and gives her a look that says “later”. Yerin just nods. She was curious, but her curiosity was the least of their problems right now.

 

“Looks like you still don’t know how important that woman is.” he grins before charging again. Sojung follows, putting herself between him and Sinb and anticipates the attack.

 

It was then that a shot of light appeared out of nowhere and hit the devil, stopping him in his tracks and successfully keeping him in place. Sojung and Sinb take a quick look at the source of the light and let out relieved sighs upon realizing who it is.

 

For Yerin, the figure was unfamiliar, but she could safely say that this person was the exact description of how she thought an angel looked like. Everything about her was just ethereal, her wings looked majestic, her entire aura screamed holiness and warmth. Her features were soft and there was a certain look in her eyes that depicted gentleness at the same time was unforgiving towards anyone that crossed her.

 

She didn’t wear a white garb, but she was well-dressed for battle, though it was more modern that she thought. She looked like the typical archer, except she was obviously more beautiful, and she had wings. Yerin noticed the golden bow in her left hand and the arrow lighting up like a fluorescent lamp on her right.

 

Before she could even blink, she had somehow managed to load that arrow into the bow and shot at the devil one more time when he tried to get up.

 

“Sinb! Sojung-unnie!” they heard another voice call out to them and saw the familiar figure of Yewon flying over to them.

 

“You took your time little one.” Sojung remarked, laughing at the tired glare Yewon gave her in reply.

 

“I had to teach Yuna-unnie on how to use the gps on her phone.” she replied, “Did you know she actually followed the roads and stop lights to get here when she could have just flown over?”

 

“That’s Yuna alright.” Sinb and Sojung chorus.

 

Yewon looked over, seeing Yerin, “Oh, Yerin-sunbaenim.” she bowed to her in greeting which she reciprocated, “I haven’t introduced myself properly yet, I’m Kim Yewon. I’m sorry for what I did back then–”

 

“It’s okay.” Yerin waved her apology off, “That’s all in the past now.”

 

Yewon does a small cheer at that.

 

That was a bit too cute in Yerin’s opinion.

 

“You weakened him enough to the point I didn’t have to do anything.” Yuna descended in front of them, turning to Sojung and Sinb, “But, he’s been dealt with.”

 

The group all turned to the direction of their enemy, only to see his figure slowly burning into nothing under the barrage of arrows that the high angel let loose on him.

 

“Thanks Yuna.” Sojung smiles in gratitude which the high angel returned. Her eyes then caught sight of Yerin and there was a moment of silence first as Yuna just stared. Yerin didn’t know what to make of her expression as it was basically a perfect poker face to her, but all of a sudden she hurriedly approaches, leaning forward and looking over at her interestedly.

 

“No wonder there’s a high class devil in here.” Yuna remarks, leaning back and turning to Yewon, “She has a lot of potential in her.”

 

“Potential?” Yerin repeats.

 

Yuna nods happily, “You’re actually quite eligible to be an angel. At your current state, you’re already similar to a guardian angel tier.”

 

“Wait,” Sojung steps forward in shock, “Even if she’s still a human?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Sinb blinks, turning to Yerin who was just as dumbfounded as she is. Feeling like she owes the upperclassman an explanation, she asks Yewon to tell her what was going on.

 

“Well, as you just heard you’re actually capable of being an angel, but that’s only after you’ve lived this lifetime.” Yewon began to say, “Your official employment as one starts when you’ve gone to heaven and just like any job, there are interviews and stuff, but it’s actually just the skill they take into consideration. In your case, I guess it’s the purity of your soul.”

 

“…You have to explain to me what that purity means because I think you have the wrong person.”

 

“Purity is how frequent one resists temptation.” Yewon explains, ignoring Sojung’s snicker from the side, “And you have a larger resistance than most. As a human, it’s nearly unavoidable to sin, but there are a select few who have that kind of resilience. We’re all innocent humans when we were children, it’s up to you on how much of that innocence you manage to keep as you grow older. I think Yuna-unnie can see it that yours is still purer than most.”

 

Yuna nodded eagerly, “There are black spots here and there but everything’s otherwise clean.”

 

“It actually had to take a high class devil to rough you around a bit, but even then you still managed to resist it.” Yewon quickly added, “I monitor all the devil activity in an area and the amount of devils you’ve resisted so far is huge. That’s amazing, you’ll do really well as angel. You might even surpass Sinb and Sojung-unnie.”

 

Sinb grumbles under her breath, “She hasn’t even gotten the job but she’s already promoted.”

 

The group chuckled.

 

“Anyway, with the threat gone, I guess it’s time for us to go.” Yuna told the group, turning to Yewon who nodded, “It was nice meeting you Yerin-ssi.”

 

“The pleasure should be mine Yuna-ssi. Thanks for helping out.” Yerin bowed a bit as she and Yewon rose to the air slowly.

 

Yuna huffed, “That devil had the nerve to actually make use of Yewon like that. He deserves what he had coming for him. Anyway, we’ll be off. See you up there soon you two.”

 

The group waves as the two flew off higher towards the skies, the group noticing how Yewon tightly clutched onto Yuna’s hand as they did.

 

“Yuna still has a bit of fear of flying.” Sojung explains when Yerin asks her about it, “So Yewon has to be there to help her out or else she can’t fly otherwise. It’s quite cute watching them to be honest.” she added with a fond smile, “Anyway, I should be heading back too. Eunha’s probably worried I’ve been gone for too long. There are still a few pesky devils lurking around Eunha and I have to deal with all of them.”

 

“Good luck.” Yerin cheered as Sojung spread her wings and rose up to the air, gesturing farewell with a wave of her hand. A few more wing flaps later and she was out of a sight, leaving the two alone.

 

A comfortable silence settles between the two, taking a moment for everything to settle in. Given everything that’s happened during the past hour, it was a lot to take in. The events had transpired so quickly that they ended up just going with the flow, being washed away into th series of events without stopping and now that they’ve finally found some time for a quick break, the two took a moment to calm themselves from the tensions of earlier and took a look back on everything that’s happened.

 

For Yerin, everything felt so surreal. She wouldn’t even be surprised if this all ended up as just a mere dream but if she was honest with herself, she wouldn’t want that. Sure, what happened to her on top of that tower was traumatic at most, but the worst didn’t happen and she was able to finally understand Sinb better because of this.

 

It’s still so hard to believe Sinb is actually an angel. Her guardian angel to be exact. It felt like a scene out of a fantasy movie, except she was part of the scene instead of just watching. In fact, she’s never stopped wondering if everything from the past hour actually happened. The only thing assuring her that she hasn’t been dreaming things was the hand grasping tightly onto hers, Sinb’s presence by her side and the fact she was alive and breathing.

 

“Are you okay?” Sinb’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts, finding the angel currently watching her in slight worry. Yerin squeezed her hand in assurance.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

Wait, when did they start holding hands again?

 

Not that she was complaining.

 

Sinb on the other hand let her gaze search Yerin’s expression for any hint of discomfort before nodding, satisfied, “We should head home.”

 

“Are we flying?”

 

Sinb chuckled, “You’ve had enough experience with heights.” she answered amusedly as Yerin sighed in relief, “Let’s just walk.”

 

She folded her wings in and hid them once more before leading the way, Yerin following her silently.

 

The two then takes a leisure stroll along the streets, a comfortable silence befalling the two as they just enjoyed the peace of the surroundings, a stark contrast to the chaos they experienced not too long ago.

 

Sinb kept her hold on Yerin’s hand firmly in hers, repeatedly reminding herself that her charge was right beside her, safe and sound. A part of her still remembers the fear when she saw Yerin falling from a hundred stories up, and to say that she has never felt so much fear in her entire life as both a human and an angel was an understatement. Not to mention the agony when she and Yerin parted ways back then after their fight.

 

The worry she had for her charge was unrivaled. She couldn’t sit still, a dozen scenarios going through her mind every minute until she couldn’t stand it any longer and flew off to Yerin’s home only to find the woman not there but the lights were on and her shoes were by the door which only made Sinb start panicking.

 

It was then that she heard the small cry for help. It was the innate ability that guardian angels had. In desperate situations, if the human’s connection with their guardians are strong, they’ll be able to hear their prayers and on rare occasions, even transport them straight to where they were.

 

That was what happened with Sinb. One second she was at Yerin’s home, the next second she was in the sky, watching Yerin falling with just a mere hundred feet from impact.

 

Sinb didn’t even know how she did it, but she managed to reach her in time albeit barely, the force of Yerin’s fall causing her to come crashing to the ground as well (she thanks her angelic self for not getting any worse injuries) but all that mattered was that they were both safe and sound.

 

And now that the threat has been dealt with and wouldn’t be bothering them any longer, she couldn’t ask for a better situation.

 

But then again, there was that one problem that came once her task was finished. Normally, it wasn’t a problem. It was in fact a relief when her missions finally reached their end but this time that wasn’t the case. She actually wanted to put it aside, wanting to leave it off for later, but she doesn’t know how much time she has and the least she could do for Yerin was to tell her the truth before it was too late for explanations.

 

But not yet, she wants to enjoy this peace with Yerin for a little bit longer. She already knows that she's overstayed with her duty as Yerin's guardian angel but can anyone blame her? This was the first time that she's gotten close to her charge on a personal level. It might have been the devil's doing, but something good has come out of it and that was her friendship with Yerin.

 

It's true that being a guardian angel was fulfilling work, seeing their charges going on their own ways and being successful people in the future is the best reward they can ask for, but there was also something bittersweet about it, having been part of their lives at some point.

 

So being this close, having actually been closest to Yerin's side when the past have been a memorable experience for her and something that she will forever treasure in her heart. And now that her mission is finally over and sooner or later, she will have to bid her farewell to finally let Yerin go on her own way she can't help but feel utterly saddened about it. Yerin has become a vital part of her life as an angel by actually letting her experience what it felt like to be human again. Sinb doesn't even remember how long it's been since she experienced human life without thinking of her duty as an angel.

 

Call her selfish, but she doesn't want to go just yet. She can't bring herself to say goodbye to this life just yet.

 

"Hey." Sinb turned to her companion who called her and was looking at her expectantly.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I'm in the mood for some pork belly again." Yerin grins, Sinb mirroring her expression upon feeling the happiness radiating off of her.

 

"Let's go grab some then?" Sinb raised a brow while Yerin nods eagerly to her invitation.

 

"I know a good place but let's stop by my house first. I'm still wearing my house slippers." Yerin playfully raised one foot and wiggled it in front of her earning a chuckle from Sinb.

 

"Let's take a cab." Sinb agrees, already taking out her phone to call one.

 

Not long after, the two were sitting right across each other at a restaurant as the staff arrived to bring their orders, the sound of sizzling when the meat touched the grill along with the delicious aroma wafting from the food made both their stomachs grumble in anticipation. The ordeal from earlier was forgotten and the only thing that mattered was finally having a taste of the delicious food before them.

 

"You're drooling." Sinb chuckled at Yerin while she watched her watching the meat being cooked. Yerin quickly leaned back and wiped the back of her hand on her chin only to find nothing there.

 

She glared at Sinb tiredly when the underclassman burst out into laughter at having fallen for her trick, "Very funny."

 

The staff left them for a moment after having placed all the meat on the grill, leaving the two to cook it for themselves.

 

Half an hour into eating, the two were fighting over the last piece of lettuce while the staff went off to get some more.

 

"Last I counted, you already took the one before this, it's mine." Sinb told her, pointing her chopsticks at the woman.

 

"I saw you sneakily taking one after the one I took! Don't think I didn't catch you back then." Yerin pointed her chopsticks as well and before anyone knew it, the two were having a swordfight with their chopsticks, that is, until the staff returned with more lettuce that put their fighting off for later.

 

Yerin carefully wrapped one piece of meat that was practically smothered it with hot chili paste and held it out while gesturing for Sinb to open to receive her offering. The angel absentmindedly did, and Yerin waited with anticipation for Sinb to violently react to the spiciness of the food but after a minute, it never came.

 

"Yah, do you have taste buds? How are you still alive?"

 

"What?" Sinb asked, looking up momentarily from grilling while vigorously chewing on the meat she just gave her.

 

Yerin sighs in disbelief, "I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed."

 

"What are you talking about? Anyway, here." Sinb wrapped one for her and held it out for her to eat, Yerin just opening to receive it while glaring at her at the same time.

 

"Thank you very much for the food!" the two chorused as they left the establishment with satisfied smiles on their faces.

 

"Should we head home?" Yerin asked, grabbing hold of her hand and interweaving their fingers as they walked.

 

"Hmm… how about ice cream?"

 

"You still want to eat?" Yerin raised a brow, "But then again, it's dessert. We have separate stomachs for that, let's go~"

 

Sinb just grins as Yerin pulls her forward, the former watching her back fondly. Heart beating wildly in her chest as she squeezed Yerin's hand in hers, she doesn't mind getting used to this feeling Yerin was giving her. She can almost safely say she was addicted to it.

 

Just a bit longer, please. Give me more time.


 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINB!! Hoping all your wishes come true ( ◜‿◝ )♡


And to my fellow Filipinos: everything is very hard on us right now, a lot of things are not looking good and we all understand how fcked up we all are. I sincerely hope and pray for everyone's health and safety and that I pray that everyone is doing well despite the situations surrounding all of us right now. Let's help out the best we can at the same time look after ourselves and each other as well. Everyone, stay safe. ( ◜‿◝ )♡​