Begin

Derationalize
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

...

Now Playing: Every Kind of Way by H.E.R. 

Hopefully you can listen with the song while you read. Enjoy.

 

 


 

 

 


  derationalize

To deprive of the power of reason or of reasoning; convert from a rational into an irrational being.

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...

 

She had put down the book that she was reading. She was on page 15 out of 300 something pages. She placed the slim wooden bookmark with a rabbit's head carved on its edge, before finally closing it.

 

An admittance of defeat.

Defeat since she could no longer focus enough on what she was reading. It's not the book. The book is amazing in itself.

A fictional tale of two people running away from a love they do not want to experience, only to find each other in their act of cowardice. Both are magical beings for they have gifts beyond human capabilities. One has tears of the gods, tears that if of pure emotions evokes healing and worse bring those who have passed, back to life. While the other was touched by the gods, blessed with hands that could heal painful memories and forge false new ones. Hands that could make the weak of minds follow with just a touch. But all bows to the balance of life and the price to pay is to be revealed as she reads further.

Yet Sana could not. So it was not the book. It was her.

 

Or maybe books weren't for her at the moment. Who knows. But she won't force herself.

 

She craned her neck to look out the window and found the clouds losing its light, gray becoming the dominant color. She found comfort on that, of the rain that is about to come. Pulling the soft silk blanket up to her waist, she rolled onto her right side facing away from the book she had abandoned. She tried to close her eyes and relax on the soft sheets she's lying on. Fingers mildly clutching the edge of her pillows.

Dear rain come and lull me to sleep, her mind prays.

 

But her phone beside the book vibrated. She turned and reach for the device.

 

- Can we go out? 

Received: 4:15 PM

 

 

Sana typed a reply and went back to finding her once comfortable position a while ago. 

 

 

 

Soft knocks pulled her back to consciousness. The nap felt recharging for her. She  was having  difficulty sleeping on time lately.

She moved to a sitting position and shook the sleepiness away. Slipping onto her baby bink fluffy pair, she went and unlocked the door.

 

"Hey!" She greeted with voice still hoarse and let her visitor in.

 

"Sorry, were you sleeping unnie?" The new arrival asked as she took off her shoes and jacket.

 

"It's fine, I was just napping. Did it rain already? Your hair's a little wet" Sana asked as she shakes off the droplets of rain on the girl's locks.

 

"Yeah, I forgot my umbrella but I was close already when it rained so I made a run for it. I'm getting out of shape" The girl replied laughing at her own antics. She placed a paper bag on the table and brought out some takeout and drinks from it. 

 

"Don't dare come here when you become sick running in the rain like that. You'll infect me too. Here, please wipe your hair properly." Sana offered a freshly washed towel.

 

"Oh, thank you. I bought some food from the diner across the street. Are you hungry unnie?" The girl asked as she covered her hair with the towel. She couldn't help but inhale. 

"Lavender scent. Ahh, so nice" Dahyun commented making the older smile widely. She went and sat at the edge of the bed, pulling up her bare feet and crossing her legs.

Even Sana's room smelled so amazing with all her scented candles beside the shelf, Dahyun pondered.

 

"I'm not that hungry, maybe later on. Thank you though. I was too lazy to buy anything" Sana stated while looking for a shirt that her visitor can change into. 

 

"I know you don't have food much here so I came prepared. And don't bother with the clothes unnie. Only my jacket got rained on." The girl interjected knowing what the older girl is looking for.

 

But she doesn't listen.

 

"Here, go change Dahyun" Sana commented as if she didn't hear anything from the other girl.

 

The younger grumbled before taking the purple pastel cotton sweater. It even has a small elephant print on it. 

 

Waiting for the girl to proceed to the bathroom and change, Sana sat on her bed, with her back against the bed frame. But Dahyun didn't move from where she sat, and just pulled her shirt off. Her black bra became visible, same as some her back. Due to the cold, Dahyun shivered as her skin was exposed so she was quick to slip on the sweater. 

While Sana was quick to look away knowing Dahyun. She sipped on her coffee that she's glad is still warm enough to comfort her in this cold weather. Her cheeks began to blush though.

 

"If you're not sleepy anymore, can we watch a movie?"

Dahyun asked looking over to Sana as she gestured to Sana's laptop on the table.

 

"Sure, what movie?"

Sana wondered as she pulled the blanket to make space for Dahyun. Dahyun came and sat beside her after grabbing the laptop from the table. 


"Let's check what's new on Netflix. What would you like to watch?"

Dahyun directed at the girl before getting back up from the bed to get the soda drinks and chocopie she bought from the paper bag.

 

"I'm not sure. Something funny maybe?"

Dahyun settled once more beside Sana. Taking into consideration what Sana said, she began looking for a movie, in the comedy genre.
 

Suddenly, a satisfied hum was heard from Dahyun. She found one that's interesting.

 


"This one unnie, Booksmart? Read the plot"

Dahyun pointed the movie for the older to check out. Sana read and was intrigued at the girl's choice.

 

"Seems fun. Play it" Sana agreed. 

 

They moved closer and settled for a more comfortable position. Dahyun grabbed her box of happiness, chocopie, and opened for them to share. 

 

 

 

They went through the movie with Sana teasing the younger for leaving crumbs on the bed and had some bathroom breaks in between. They definitely had fun with the interesting movie. 

Soon it ended yet Sana continued to stare at the credits rolling that Dahyun had to snap her out of it. 

 

"Unnie it's done, want to watch some more?"

Dahyun asked while yawning. She stood to pat off the crumbs from her clothes. Feeling the cold floor, she is quick to return to the bed and lie down completely this time. She grabbed her phone as well to check for any notifications.

 

"Maybe later, let's take a break"

Sana stated as she began to stretch her numb limbs. After that, she straightened her short legs to follow the younger girl who was laying nicely beside her. 

 

"Okay"

 

Dahyun replied before putting down her phone. She grabbed the laptop between them and placed it down on the floor so they both can have more room. 

 

Sana grabbed her phone. She opened the app and started playing scrolling on social media. She noticed that the rain has stopped and the sky is already dark. She glanced at her watch, 7:40 it read.

 

 

 

Sinking herself deeper into the soft mattress, Sana noticed the lack of noise from the person beside her. She turned her head to find the younger girl who was facing her, looking peacefully asleep with her lips slightly parted. The view made her chuckle.

 

"Sleepy head" She mumbled as she focused back on the on her phone.

 

 

 

The flushing of a toilet snaps Dahyun from her nap of the day. Turning on her back she found the other girl emerging from the bathroom. 

 

"Oh hey you're awake" Sana smiled at the girl squinting her sleepy eyes. 

 

"Sorry I fell asleep. Hope you didn't get bored" Dahyun mumbled as she eyed the girl.

 

"Nope, I just played on my phone. Do you want to eat now?" Sana asked as she sat at the foot of the bed.

 

Feeling the pang of hunger hit her, Dahyun sat up.

"Yup, let's eat." Sana stood up upon hearing the reply. She went to prepare and heat the takeout in the microwave. All the while humming to a song stuck on her head.

 

 

 

 

After eating their dinner, the two ended up sitting on the bed once more. With their backs resting on the headboard. Their eyes closed as they listen to the song Sana has played on her phone. 

 

"Do you like it? I found it yesterday while randomly checking out new songs" Sana's voice broke the trance. 

 

"It kinda sounds like you unnie?" Dahyun muttered after letting the music sink in on her. It was an unfamiliar song with a great piano ensemble that Dahyun begins to appreciate. 

 

Sana hummed in agreement to the younger girl's response. The song has a lazy morning drawl that made Sana hooked. 

 

"Yeah it does, right? But do you like it?" Sana repeated. 

 

"Maybe. I'm still getting to know the song" After a beat, Dahyun replied. Lyrics are still being analyzed by her brain. She usually focuses more on the beat then later on sometimes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter