002

Selfish but That's Okay // Wong Yukhei

mis·take

noun

an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.

I walked with my head down and my hood up. No one looked at me, so Lucas mustn't have told anyone that we were "dating." I was thankful that he hadn't said anything yet. I haven't even told Mark for that fact. He would make a big deal about it, yelling about how he wasn't good enough for me or some crap he'd randomly make up on the spot. Yet, I knew I would face the consequences of being Lucas' fake girlfriend when I walked into that classroom. I was not mentally prepared for any of this. 

I squeezed my hand around my canvas bag and walked into the lecture hall. Head down and don't draw attention to myself. Mark was already here, head down on the table. He probably had a hangover from the amount of alcohol he drank. I didn't know a person could even survive after drinking that much alcohol. In fact, nobody in this class even looked alive. I was lucky Lucas hadn't arrived to class yet. 

Sitting down at my chair, I turned and tapped on Mark's head. He shot up, and looked at me, eyes half-open, before stretching to wake himself. "You're here?" he asks. I  nod, "Has he gotten here yet?" I ask him, pulling the hood off my head. Mark squints and furrows his brows, "Who?" Just as he asked, I heard the door open, then after a few seconds, it shut again. 

"What the hell," Mark muttered, his mouth slightly hanging open. Quite nervous, I slowly turned around. Two eyes met mine. He was finally here, bouquet in one hand and a heart-shaped box in the other. He cleared his throat as if he was about to sing. Oh god, he was about to sing. He made sure that everyone was watching, and I took that as the initiative to hide my face. 

"You are my sunshine," he began. I lifted my head slightly to see other people. It looked as though no one knew what was going on and the girls anticipated who this was directed too by squealing and calling him cute. "My only sunshine. You make me happy," his voice wasn't bad, at all, "when skies are gray." I decided to unhide my face and look right at him. All I had to do was play along for a week and then this would be over in no time. Easy peasy. "You make me happy when skies are gray," he started to walk towards me, "you'll never know dear, how much I love you." A couple of girls showed disappointed faces when he didn't stop in front of them. 

A few people were catching on that it was me. He stopped next to my desk, and turned to me, kneeling down as I looked at him from the side. "Please don't take my sunshine away," he finished. I tried my best to fake a smile as he put the flowers and box on the table in front of me. Mark coughed behind, "Umm, Yoonah," he began, before Lucas so rudely interrupted. 

I bit my tongue, trying to hold back saying anything rude to Lucas. This pretending thing was harder than I thought. 

"Yoonah, he started, tapping the guy in the seat next to me, telling him to move. The guy moved and Lucas sat next to me, "Will you take my hand, and become my girlfriend?" He stuck his hand out towards me. My eyes widened and I fought every urge not to slap him. He wanted to make his "proposal" seem as real as possible, so of course he would make sure everyone knows about it and it didn't seem fake. 

I clenched my teeth and very slowly stretched my hand out, trying my best not to make a disgusted face, "Yes," I mumbled. I briefly glanced back at Mark who showed a disgusted face for me. The people in the class wooed, and Lucas grabbed my hand, extending it upwards and shooting out of his seat, nearly ripping my arm off in the process, "She said yes!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. I saw a couple of girls roll their eyes. Jealousy. That was the only thing I liked about this.

Lucas sat back down in his seat and smiled while resting his head on his hand. I smiled back at him and tried to pull my hand back, but he wouldn't let go. I chuckled forcefully and tugged harder, his grip tightened, and his gaze turned to a quick glare then back to a glare. I stopped and twisted my neck to look at Mark. He didn't know whether to look at Lucas or me. "Help," I mouth to Mark. He nodded his head towards the door. 

I looked back at Lucas, "I need to go to the bathroom," I told him in a fake cheerful voice. He grinned even more and let go of my hand forcefully by gently throwing it down. I could tell he hated this too for some reason. Of course, I was aware that I wasn't a pleasant person all that much. 

Smoothing out my clothes, I stood up and walked out of the hall, look back to see Mark following not far behind. I stopped in the hall and leaned against the wall just as Mark left the classroom. He didn't stop in front of me, he grabbed my arm and dragged me towards the entrance of the school, shoving the door open and pulling me outside. He threw my arm down and put his hands on his hips, "What the hell, Yoonah? What is going on?" he yelled. 

I looked down at the ground, "It's not real," I mumble. He rolls his eyes and scoffs, "He just asked you out with flowers and chocolates, and you say it's not real? How ignorant can you be?" he snaps. I glare at him, "Mark, last night," before I could finish, Mark, interrupted me, "Did Lucas do something to you last night?" he asked hurriedly, "Does he have something against you? Is this blackmail or something? I saw the way you looked at him. You didn't mean it when you said yes." I shook my head, "I didn't mean it. It's not like that. If you'd just listen, then you'd understand." I struggled out. 

He silently stared at me, waiting for me to continue. "He said that if I pretended to date him for a week and didn't fall for him then he'd leave me alone and stop boasting about himself!" I told him. Mark raised an eyebrow, "And you agreed to it? What happens if you do fall for him?" he skeptically asked. I laughed, "Me? Fall for Lucas? Mark, I'm not going to fall in love during a fake relationship. It's fake, why would I even enjoy it?" I sneered. 

"Haven't you read those books and seen those movies? The girl always falls in love with the guy! Yoonah, you're going to fall in love with him!" he whined. I slapped his arm, "Mark, this isn't a movie! This is reality! I'm not going to fall for him!" I fire back. And truthfully, I wasn't going to. I knew that I would never fall for someone during a fake relationship. Doing so would be like falling for a person that isn't even real. 

Mark's eyes suddenly looked sad, 'Yoonah," he quietly said, "if you ever do end up in any relationship. We'll still be friends for the rest of our life, right?" I suddenly understood why Mark was so worried that the relationship was real. I had always been his only friend, and losing me, would be like losing everything. I could say the same for him. I couldn't lose him. If I did, I would have no one left. 

I pushed my lips together, and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him, "Mark, even when we're both old, ugly, and married, we'll still be best friends alright?" I pulled away and put my hands on his shoulders, "One day, you'll get married, and I'll get married, and if our partners don't want us to be friends, then screw them, we'll leave them, got it?" I joked with a smile on my face. He sadly smiled and nodded, "Okay," he mumbled. 

I hugged him again and patted him on the back, "Lets order pizza and watch a movie tonight, okay?" I mumbled. I felt him nod his head and once again I pulled away from him, "Let's go inside. The class will be starting soon." I said. Mark held the door open and we both went inside. He dragged behind a little bit. I could hear him dragging his feet. 

Once we went back into the hall, all eyes directed back to us. I stopped for a second and looked around. Everyone was looking at me. I looked back down and shuffled to my seat, where Lucas was still seated next to me. He scooted his desk closer to the point both out desks were touching. I sighed and forced a smile towards him. Mark groaned behind me. Lucas reached towards my face, and pinched my cheek, "Ooo, you're so cute," he cooed. I side-glanced at Mark, who's eyes were wide and shocked. Mark had always told me that my cheeks belonged only to him, so he must be pretty jealous that Lucas was pinching them.

I chuckled, "Lucas, that hurts," I say through clenched teeth. He pinches them harder just to annoy me, "Ooo does this hurt my baby?" he didn't let go. I slapped his hand away and he laughed as he leaned back in his chair. 

I leaned closer to him, "Do that again, and I'll cut your hand off," I whispered to the point only he could hear. Lucas grins even wider and raises his hands to my face and squishes my face together, "Aww, our Yoonah is so cute when she threatens to cut my hands off," he joked. The class chuckled and I pushed his hands away again, "Whatever," I muttered. 

As the professor came in, the class went silent and Lucas scooted his desk back away from me. I put my face in my hands, "Endure this torture," I whisper to myself, "It'll be over soon." 

This was going to be a long week.