four

when the flowers bloom, i’ll see you again
Please log in to read the full chapter

         Filming this evening went by swiftly. Mr. Oh turned back to his unfriendly self with a cold demeanour, no longer the gentle and tender man at the plum blossoms garden. During the time, I had a glimpse of the project which deeply touched my heart.

 

         It was plum blossoms inspired.

 

         Its significance was mirrored identically in the photoshoot as if it was a wordless expression by the fashion models. The angle of magazine editorials was positioned so uniquely with all attention on the plums where it celebrates the flowering of plum blossoms. With this abstract theme coupled with a moving and heart-warming significance, I could imagine the Autumn collection’s popularity amongst the public.

 

         Without a doubt, it was a successful collection – that is, without my interference.

 

         I sat before my MacBook in my hotel room, fingers hesitating. I had read Father’s email for the umpteenth time. He questioned if I have gotten any insider’s information on Oh Couture’s upcoming Autumn collection. My fingers that were hovering over the keyboard balled up into fists.

 

         An hour ago, Mr. Oh had already sent me the official prints of the new Autumn collection. He assigned me to familiarize myself with the concept and idea to better assist him when we return back to South Korea. As I scrutinized him when he instructed me, I could see his eyes glistening in gladness about his hard work that was about to be revealed to the public.

 

         Breaking myself out of my reverie, I abstained my soft-hearted nature from affecting my decision. Typing on my laptop, I drafted an email and attached the official prints Mr. Oh sent me.

 

         Dear Father

 

    I have gotten relevant information. Attached are the prints of Oh Couture’s upcoming Autumn collection.

 

         Before I could hit the send button, a flash of Mother’s smile made me halt. Guilt instantly hit me in my guts. I was this close to accomplishing my assignment Father tasked me. But that also meant I was this close to ruining Mr. Oh’s hard work, and I was this close to disappointing Mother.

 

         I tugged on my hair with utmost exasperation.

 

         I weighed the consequences. Could I bear watching Mr. Oh crumble down at his defeat caused by me? Could I bear failing Mother after she painstakingly taught me my morals? Could I bear… receiving the look of hatred Mr. Oh would toss me after?

 

         Then, I recalled Jihye’s warnings.

 

         “Hyejin, you know you can’t fall in love with him,” she pre-empted me. “Not with your current status and position. I don’t wish to see you heartbroken.”

 

         I smiled sadly. Indeed, I have fallen for Mr. Oh which I ought not to. Nonetheless, there was not a bit of regret in me for doing so. It was a wonderful feeling to love someone. Falling in love was a gift for me, and I would cherish this warm feeling entirely.

 

         Determined, I decided to follow my heart and deleted the email to draft a new one.

 

         Dear Father

 

         Mr. Oh has not revealed anything about the Autumn collection to me. Everything, including the shoot, remained vague on this trip. Give me a little more time.

 

         Without further hesitation, I sent the email and heaved out a sigh of relief. Nonetheless, uneasiness still laced my tongue. Sure, I had bought some time from Father. But how long more could I hide it from him that I already knew inside out about the collection?

 

         Deciding to not probe further into my worries, I turned off my laptop and tucked myself to bed. Throughout the night, I tossed and turned, unable to bring myself to sleep. There was not a comfortable position and I was extremely restless. After attempting to count sheep to no avail, I got off my bed.

 

         Putting on my hotel slippers, I left my room and made my way towards the coffee machine in the lobby. I could use a cup of coffee in the middle of the night. Flipping through my wallet for coins, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

 

         “Can’t sleep?” I turned to face Mr. Oh. I glanced at his informality with framed glasses, shirt, and sweatpants. He effortlessly made my breathing ragged, for I suddenly felt self-conscious before him.

 

         Giving him a small smile, I nodded my head. “I can’t sleep, so I decided to get a cup of coffee.”

 

         Mr. Oh frowned. “A cup of coffee is not going to solve your insomnia,” he told me before pondering. “Follow me.”

 

         I tilted my head in confusion. Nonetheless, I tread on his heels and realized that we were approaching his suite. “Mr. Oh,” I stepped back, hesitating. “Why are we going to your suite?”

 

         Mr. Oh scrutinized my look of panic and chuckled deeply. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to take advantage of you,” he assured me. “Just follow me in.”

 

         I gulped, meekly stepping into his suite after he unlocked the door. I stood awkwardly as I watch Mr. Oh head to the kitchen. After five minutes, he returned from the kitchen and I inwardly si

Please log in to read the full chapter