whim

Through Countless Nights

characters: shiraishi megumi (aragaki yui), hiyama mihoko (toda erika)

710 words.

_____

 

“No,” Megumi does not look up when she shakes her head. “No,” she says clearly another time, the conviction in her face unwavering.

Mihoko takes in a deep breath through her nostrils, releases it, repeats that, as her sombre eyes watch Megumi seated at the couch with her hands tightly clasped together. 

“And you have a reason for that,” Mihoko breaks the silence, rather boldly, a capability of her character, yet still demanding on her nerves in a situation like that.

Was it a question, or a statement? Megumi wonders. Mihoko doesn’t know it herself either.

“I ought to, don’t I?” Megumi looks up. Her stern eyes look straight at Mihoko, “I ought to have a reason, a logical and completely sound reason to have come to this decision. Because I’m always supposed to be cool-headed, not to make choices rashly, not to let my emotions get the better of me—”

“Shiraishi,” Mihoko roughly cuts her off.

“I don’t know anymore,” Megumi complains, almost in a whine, and shakes her head.

“First of all, would you let me have some space on the only bed I have in this house?” 

Megumi rolls her eyes at Mihoko’s words, straightforward as ever, though grateful that for all this while, Mihoko’s curt, aggressive replies to her grumblings magically have a relieving effect on her. 

“Listen to yourself,” Mihoko starts when she takes a seat beside Megumi, after the latter has moved to the edge of the couch, “You’ve always been rational and sound in making your decisions. You’ve always taken into account how your decisions will impact those around you. You’re the Staff Leader now for that reason, and I know you’re worried because in that position the responsibility is huge and your actions bring about consequences on the whole team but—

“Sometimes, you have to choose yourself,” she takes a deep breath, monitoring the grimace on Megumi’s face, “put yourself before others. After all, this is your life. Do what you feel like doing. You don’t need a reason to feel a certain way. If your heart wants it, do it.”

Megumi her lips. She lowers her head; she wants to nod in agreement to Mihoko, but finds it difficult to. 

“Bring us some beer,” Mihoko says in a completely changed tone.

Megumi narrows her eyes. In an attempt to speak, she chokes, and Mihoko notices the tears that have formed up in the sides of Megumi’s eyes. The look on Mihoko’s face as a response causes Megumi to force her lips into a smile, “What’s with that look,” a smile so pathetic it can’t be called a smile. She stands up and turns away, disappearing into the kitchen. Behind the door of the opened fridge, she lets her tears fall, and wipes them up quickly before reaching for two cans of beer.

“So, should I take a day off for no reason whatsoever? I so well deserve one,” Megumi says when she returns, much like an announcement.

“Go, it’s not like I need you here,” Mihoko says after a click of her tongue. She chuckles when Megumi hands her a can of beer.

“What should I do? A day trip to Tokyo, or Osaka?” Megumi’s eyes are now twinkling, and it tickles Mihoko to see her in such excitement just after moments of frustration and tears. It relieves her, though, seeing Megumi alright again. She does find it odd, but does not want to question, how Megumi’s wellbeing and presence in her life have their effects on her. 

“Do you wanna come along?” Megumi’s ideas continue. 

“Me? Haven’t you seen me enough? And besides, will Lifesaving sustain with both of us gone?”

“The fellows are getting better. At the most, there’s Fujikawa and Saejima,” Megumi nonchalantly opens the can of beer in her hands. “Cheers,” she holds the can up, and so does Mihoko.

“Yucks, the fellows. I could so do a day without facing them. Osaka, let’s go. We could go to Nara or Wakayama in the meanwhile.”

“And tire ourselves out on an off-day? What a choice,” Megumi wrinkles her nose.

“If we feel like it, why not?” Mihoko’s reply is unexpectedly sound. 

“Well,” Megumi smiles when she turns away and takes a sip of beer, “Why not.”