coming back home

ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜɪᴛᴄʜᴇᴅ
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a hot sunny Friday afternoon. Seulgi and Wendy were hanging out at their favorite coffee shop near their university. They wanted to stay for a while, have some cold drinks and delicious pastries and talk about their lives. They were early at the shop because they were dismissed earlier. It was due to a sudden meeting for the faculty members and students had no classes for the day.

The two of them loved the coffee shop so much; maybe because of its serene ambiance that made them visit there for many times. The shop also offered great drinks and goodies– which the two girls loved as well. Aside from the tranquility of the place, it was built amazingly too. As Interior Design students, they appreciated the details of the whole place. Its decorations, furniture and fixtures - even the combination of the colors white, cream and brown were indeed aesthetically pleasing and instagram-worthy for them. Plus, the fragrance of the coffee that lingered everywhere actually gave them much satisfaction. They knew that the shop was the perfect spot for them to hang out or study together after class.

“Actually, the guy said that- wait,” Seulgi paused, “Are you listening?” Her brows furrowed the moment her gaze diverted to Wendy.

She stopped herself from blabbering when she realized that her friend was not paying attention on what she was talking about. Her friend’s gaze was only fixed to the glasses placed on their table. She looked like she was locked up in her own little world.

“Wendy?” Seulgi tried to grab her attention by snapping her fingers in front of her face. It made the latter flinch as she finally got back to her senses.

“Oh yes? Oh my god- what is it again? Sorry, I spaced out!” Wendy blinked her eyes repeatedly and quickly gave her confused friend an apologetic smile.

Apparently, Wendy and Seulgi were like best friends since birth. They had the same birth month and birth year; they also grew up together. Since then, they became really good friends. They attended the same schools up until college, making the both of them stick with each other all the time. They also had the same preferences in different things. Their commonalities in life made their friendship stronger and more entertaining.

Seulgi worriedly looked at her and asked, “Seriously, what bothers you?”

Wendy only shook her head lightly in return and showed her a faint smile. She also said that it was nothing to worry about. But Seulgi, being Seulgi, was not satisfied with her response. She knew it when something bothered her friend.

“Are you perhaps thinking about him?” She spoke with lower volume. She didn’t want to hit some sensitive spot and trigger Wendy but she was all curious.

Her sudden inquiry caught Wendy off guard. She almost spat out her Iced Americano. Of course, she would notice it, Wendy told herself. Seulgi would always figure out things about her.

Wendy gave up and sighed, “I missed him.”

Seulgi nodded. Her assumption was right. Her best friend was still thinking about him. Wendy spaced out for several times since that day and she knew that he was the reason behind.

“I missed him too, you know. But it was his decision to transfer and we have to respect it.”

They’d always kept each other’s secrets and stories that no knew aside from them. That was how much they trusted each other. They even promised not to keep anything from one another no matter how bad that secret is. Including there was the secret of Wendy liking a boy with the same age as them – whom she also considered her best friend together with Seulgi.

“You’re right. It was his decision. But you know, I’m still regretting that I actually told him about what I felt for him before he went to US,” Wendy mumbled and lowered her head. She then reached for her glass and took a sip from it. Talking about him made and throat dry.

“It’s alright, Wannie. You can’t actually hide it forever. It has to be said. And you were brave enough to confess it to him.”

“Sadly, it only made things awkward.”

“At least, he had idea before he left. He might be thinking about it until he arrived there,” Seulgi said, giving her a playful wink.

“Based on his reaction back then and his actions up until now, he doesn’t like me. He only sees me as a friend or a sister, just like you too. We grew up together, maybe that’s why.”

“But he still contacts us, isn’t he? After all, he still wants to be updated with our lives.”

Wendy snorted, “You are the only one he’s calling; it just happens that we are always together. Do you even see his reactions when he sees me? He flinches. It’s obvious. He’s avoiding me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter