One

I'm a detective

“Youngban-ah, are you busy?”

“I wouldn’t be answering this phone if I were busy?” He replied, squeezing the phone between his shoulder and ear as he put on socks.

Jaeyoon chuckled. “Boss got that party and we’re a little short on staff. So, if you like, I can sign you up as additional help,”

“When is it?” Youngbin asked, walking towards the kitchen and pulling a small calendar towards him.

“It’s on the 23rd. The party starts at 7pm but of course, we have to be there to set up and stuff.”

“I can make that work,” he replied, already encircling the date on the calendar and writing the words, ‘catering’ on the small box. Accepting the job would mean that he’ll have to forego his only rest day but hey, the job will only be for a few hours and the extra cash would definitely help.

“Okay, cool. We’ll meet up at the resto at 3pm and go from there, yeah?”

Youngbin hummed. It wasn’t his first time helping at that restaurant so he’s familiar with how they operate. “Okay, see you! Oh, and Youngbin, wear a bowtie,”

 Youngbin scrunched his eyes shut, he doesn’t have a bowtie and he can’t think of anyone he knows who has one. “Okay, okay,” he huffed.

+++++

If Jaeyoon hadn’t texted him 3 days before the event, Youngbin wouldn’t have remembered about it at all. Work that week has been so exhausting since he had to take extra shifts with one of his co-workers resuming classes.

The bowtie, ok?’ Jaeyoon’s text read and , he completely forgot about that.

Youngbin swore that he’ll try to find one as soon as his shift ends for that day.

4pm and Youngbin found himself walking back to his apartment, a bag of groceries on one hand and his phone in the other. He did find some bowties but they were ing expensive and he just couldn’t see the point of spending that much for a little piece of clothing that he’ll use for only a few hours.

Taeyang, one of the kids from the coffee shop, told him about a garage sale happening just a block away from his place. He said there’s a lot of used clothes and stuff and Youngbin is now on his way there. He was really hoping he’ll find one.

There were a few people looking around at the stuff and Taeyang wasn’t kidding when he said that there was a ton of clothes in the garage sale. He started to walk around, shifting the bag of groceries in his arm. Youngbin spotted a rack with some suits on it and he started to make his way there, navigating the people and stuff scattered all around.

He was a few steps away from the clothes rack when something caught his eye. He stopped and picked up the wooden box laying a good distance away from some books.

The box was made of a beautiful dark wood and quite heavy for its size. There were no engravings or any other marks and a quick inspection of the bottom resulted in the same. He opened it carefully, surprised to see an ordinary black bowtie sitting on top of plush velvet.

“You can have that for 10,000won,” a voice said. He his heels, meeting the gaze of an old woman. She smiled and repeated the price.

“Halmeonie, don’t you think it’s too much for 10,000 won? It’s just a bowtie!” Youngbin said respectfully.

“Okay, 5,000 then.”

“3,000?” Youngbin countered, jutting his bottom lip and looking at the old woman with his big, round eyes.

She shook her head but a smile was playing on her lips. “Okay, fine,” she huffed. “3,000 then.”

Youngbin smiled and gave her the exact amount, thanking her profusely.  

 

+++++

 

Youngbin met Jaeyoon and the rest of the crew in the restaurant. They were just loading up the last of the boxes to be brought to the mansion. After a quick round of introduction, they all trooped inside the waiting bus and went on their way.

The concrete buildings slowly fell all around them giving way to more grassy lands and trees. The bus to a dirt road and continued to run past what seemed to be a forest. After about 10 minutes, the bus drove past all the trees and into a wide clearing.

The house stood at the foot of the mountain, white walls stark against the green of the trees. A hush fell inside the vehicle as the bus brought them closer to the building.

Jaeyoon’s boss was waiting for them by the entrance and after giving them a few instructions, they all went inside and started setting up.

 

+++++

 

The clock struck 7 and the first of the guests started trickling in.

Youngbin and the other guys won’t really do much, just walk around carrying trays of food and drinks and of course clean up after the guests. All in all, it was pretty chill set up and Youngbin was really glad he took up the job.

He was just about to return to the kitchen to refill his tray when a bloodcurdling scream was heard from the second floor. Everyone turned their heads in the direction it came from and a sudden hush fell inside the room. Even the music stopped playing. In the silence, the sound of heels clacking on the stairs echoed throughout the room and suddenly, a woman, wearing a bright red dress came into view- her make up ruined by the tears streaming incessantly down her face.

“D-dead, t-t-there’s a b-body,” she rasped before fainiting.

If this was any other situation, Youngbin would have laughed out loud. But as soon as the dull thud of the woman’s body resounded, the room went into an uproar and everyone began filing out the exits. He was jostled to the sides as guests tried to get to the doors.

Dead body?

Youngbin froze. The voice was close – too close – for his comfort. He shook his head, chalking it all up to the shock and the panic that's currently gripping everyone in the room.

He placed the tray on top of one of the tables and started walking back to the kitchens when he heard it again.

Where is the dead body?

He whipped his head around but at this time, almost everyone is halfway across the room. Youngbin was standing all alone in one corner with no one around.

Can you hear me?

He jumped. It was louder this time. And there was no more mistaking where it was coming from.

Hello! Can you understand me?

Youngbin’s eyes grew wide as he slowly dipped his head to look at the black bowtie around his neck.

HELLLOOOOOO!

Youngbin jumped and made a grab for it. But as soon as his hand gripped the edges of the bow, it started screaming and all he can do was let go.

Please don’t do that again.

What the ! What the actual ! !

I heard there’s  a dead body?

“Uh, hi?” Youngbin said, still looking at the thing around his neck.

Oh, thank goodness you understand me. Now, boy, take me to the corpse.

“Excuse me?”

Didn’t you hear me? I said take me to the corpse.

“No. What? Do you even know what you are?” Youngbin asked. A part of him couldn’t believe what was happening and another part of him was wondering why the hell he was talking to his bowtie.

Yes, I am well aware that I am a bowtie and since I’m incapable of moving without you can you please just get a move on? We have a murder to solve!

“A what?” Youngbin exclaimed.

Murder my dear boy. Murder. As in somebody took another person’s life. Or did the term murder suddenly changed definitions?

Youngbin can’t, couldn’t – what the hell is he supposed to do? And what, why is this happening to him. Surely, this must be a dream. He pinched his arm and whimpered. It’s painful so this must be … real?

I’m sure you have a lot of questions but for now. Can you just trust me? The more we stand here the more the evidence grows cold.

“But I’m just a waiter,” he whispered to no one in particular.

Ohh, waiter. So is this a restaurant? Or a party?

“A party” he answered. Youngbin must be going crazy. Maybe this is all the stress finally getting to him. Yes, the stress, that explains it.

Oh how perfect. What better way to murder someone than right under the noses of a lot of people. Come on, kid. We have a murder to solve!

“WHAT EVEN! I TOLD YOU I’M JUST A ING WAITER!” he yelled. \

Yes, yes. And so what? I’ll help you become a detective. A waiter detective. Oh, how wonderful. Now let’s go!

“Go to where?” Youngbin hissed.

To the body? Didn’t I make myself clear?

Oh, right, to the body. Youngbin looked around. Most of the people are filing back inside the ballroom. From where he was standing, he can see a man shouting and waving in front of the crowd.

“-se stay here. We are from the police. Please stay calm. We’ll just get a couple of statements from you guys and-“

Hey, the body. Come on now!

Youngbin closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths. He couldn’t believe this is happening. He can’t believe that he’s even doing this but he found himself slipping to the side of the room, and making his way up the stairs. He turned to look back at the crowd once more and only noticed now that the policeman who was still talking to the crowd was wearing formal clothes.

“Thank goodness they invited the police,” he muttered under his breath.

Oh, thank goodness indeed.

Youngbin didn’t know why but he imagined the bowtie rolling his-it’s eyes when saying that.

What’s your name? My name’s Te- Inseong.

Younbing glanced at the thing around his neck. A little bit wary. Should he even give it his name? What if it places a curse on him or something and turns him into another bowtie? Are there other speaking bowties? What the is happening?!

“Youngbin. Kim Youngbin.” He found himself saying. It was too late to take the words back.

What a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kim. I hope we’ll have a wonderful time solving this crime.

Youngbin finally reached the second floor landing. He stopped not knowing where exactly the body was found. There were tons of rooms on both sides. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he finally opened them, he decided to check out the rooms on the right first.

The first few doors were locked. He was on almost on the fourth door, when he noticed that the room at the end of the hallway was open.

Youngbin slowed his steps, fear starting to grip him. He was expecting a gory crime scene with blood all over the walls and maybe guts spilling out from the body but the room that he looked into was clean. The body was that of a man, sprawled on the ground.

Don’t touch anything. Now, what do you see?

“Uh, the body. It’s a man. He’s old? His hair is almost all gray.” Youngbin said.

And the room?

His eyes flicked around. It was music room, he told the bowtie. There was a piano just in front of where the body is. There were also various instruments around the piano. There are windows on the left and right sides but they were shut close.

Youngbin looked behind him. The door was flanked by two wooden cabinets. One was filled with various trophies and the other looked like books and vinyls. There was a gramophone to the left of the room and next to that was an arm chair.

Check on the door? The lock specifically.

Youngbin bent down, inspecting the lock. It looked pretty old and a part of it was hanging off. He said the same to the bow- to Inseong.

 “You there!”

Youngbin snapped up straight upon hearing the voice. A man was walking towards him and it took him a second to recognize that this same man was the one who was trying to calm the crowd downstairs.

“What are you doing here?” he barked, causing Youngbin to cower.

Investigating. Say you’re investigating

“I-I-Investigating,” Youngbin blurted out.

“Sir!” Two more people in party clothes appeared flanking the man.

“Take this kid, Juho-ssi.” He gestured to Younbin.

“Yes, sir,” Juho-ssi replied. He stepped up to Youngbin and gripped his arm, pulling him towards the other end of the hallway.  

“I-ah, what?! I didn’t do anything,?” Youngbin protested but the guy didn’t even look at him. The officer pulled out a key and opened one of the doors, throwing Youngbin inside with a warning.

Shhh, keep quiet. Just follow what I’m going to say.

“I’m in this because I followed what you said,” Youngbin said. He really wanted to rip the bowtie from around his neck right then.

Just trust me.

Youngbin started pacing.  “What do I do? what do I do? I can’ have a criminal record.” He said out loud.

Can you please just relax? I am thinking. Describe the room to me again.

“No! What the ? I have to get out of this. I can’t get in trouble!” Youngbin replied. He can feel his body trembling.

The only way you’re getting out of this trouble is if we find the real killer!

Youngbin stopped. He hated how the bowtie made sense. He hated the bowtie, period. But-

“Ok fine,” Youngbin said, throwing his hands up. “Fine, you win,”

He huffed and resumed his pacing, starting to describe the room again. Thankfully, the bowt-, Inseong, was quiet, just a hum here and there to signal that he’s listening.

“And that’s it. Before that big guy caught me,” Youngbin sighed, finally plopping down on the bed. He suddenly felt exhausted, not the kind that you get from physical labor but from... everything, really.

As he sat in the quiet of the room, he couldn't help but wonder how his life has come to this. In one moment, he was just trying to work, trying to earn more money to continue his studies and then at the next moment, here he was in an empty room talking to his goddamn bowtie.

Mr. Kim.

Youngbin kept quiet. Maybe if he ignored it it will get tired and-

Mr. Kim. I can hear you breathing.

“What do you want?” he asked it.

When the police come, tell them you're a consulting detective.

"But i'm a waiter!" he exclaimed. “Look, I have the waiter outfit and my name is on Jaeyoon’s list!”

I know. I know. But you have to believe me. Tell them it's a murder. Don't back down, Mr. Kim.

“Youngbin” he whispered.

What?

“Call me Youngbin. Hearing you say Mr. Kim gives me the creeps.” Youngbin said. If he’s going to commit to this, then might as well let the bowtie call him by him name.

Okay then, Youngbin.

The door opened at that moment and the guy who caught him walked into the room. The guy had gray streaks on his head but he doesn't look that old, if Youngbin had to guess, the man might be in his early 50s or maybe late 40s.

"So, what's your name kid?" he asked, pulling the chair from the dresser and placing it in the middle of the room, facing Youngbin.

"Kim Youngbin.” He answered.

"And you work here?” the man, sat down.

"I'm one of the waiters, sir,"

“Ok Youngbin. What were you doing when i found you a while ago.”

Tell them you're investigating.

He looked at the man and swallowed. "I-i was investigating, sir?"

"Investigating? How can a waiter know anything about investigating?” He scoffed, “I think you've watched too many CSI, kid"

It was a murder. Tell him it was a murder.

Youngbin looked at the floor, thinking. He knew that he should listen to the bow- Inseong and yet, he knew that saying it was murder would make him look guilty or something?

"It's a murder, sir. That wasn't an accident. Someone killed him." He heard himself say.

The man's eyes widen just a bit as but he managed to school his face blank in the next second. He stood up and started pacing.  "The room was locked, kid. And the windows were sealed shut. You've seen the room. You've seen the body... The corpse was just there,"

Medical Examiner Report

“The medical examiner's report,” Youngbin parroted, sounding unsure of the words.

The man raised an eyebrow. "We'll have that in a few hours,"

"We have to interview all the guests. We can't let anyone out of the house,” Youngbin said following what the bowtie is telling him.

"We're already doing that,"

Youngbin fell silent, his gaze stuck to the floor. The bow- Inseong was awfully quiet that he can hear the seconds tick by. It doesn’t help that the man was now standing still, eyes boring holes into his skull.

“Okay, kid, how about this,” Youngbin looked up. The man sounded, hopeful?

The man ran a hand through his hair, ruining his perfectly coifed hair. “I don’t know why but my gut is telling me to trust you,” those eyes bore into Youngbin once more. “So, if you can prove that this is a murder and if you find me that murderer, I will let you off the hook,”

Yes, yes, yes. Say yes Youngbin

“I-yes, sir. Of course,” he replied.

“But of course, I can’t let you run around on your own. I’ll put one of my people to watch you and of course, you have to do everything by the law, alright?”

He nodded. The bow- Inseong was whooping.

The man stuck his head out the door and called for someone. In the next second, the man who dragged him to the room entered.

“This is Juho-ssi. I’m assigning him to you for this case.” The man clapped Juho on the shoulder. “Juho, this is Youngbin-ssi. He’ll be helping our investigation. I trust that you’ll get along well,”