Prologue

The Immoral Immortal
 
PROLOGUE

 

It’s a moonless night and deep darkness has fallen into the bamboo forest in the back mountains. The still silence is cut by the sounds of rapid footsteps, battle, cries of men and enraged roars of the demon horde. It is chaos in the forest but the youth running ahead manages to avoid the attacks aimed at him, slashing down the demons, knocking down humans and slinking past all those who try to stop him. Not too far behind him runs another who’s been chasing vehemently and keeping up the pace regardless of the other’s attempts to lose their tail.
 
“ChenXi!” The shout resounds in the forest, the echo repeating several times the other’s commanding cries. “Turn back—ChenXi!”
 
It’s not until they reach the open field of the bamboo forest that their chase comes to an abrupt halt with the chaser blocking the path with a wall of ice raising from the calm stream. It’s only then that the two finally turn to face each other. They’re both tired and bloodied from the battles raging on the mountain yet they keep pushing their limits.
 
ChenXi— “The pursuer calls on again, setting his sights on the form of the young sect disciple, whose appearance has shifted closer to that of a demon. Small horns protruding from his skull, pointed ears and sharp pupils with intense searing red eyes able to burn into one’s soul when looked at. He threads closer a couple of steps till he is forced to a halt.
 
Don’t—NingFei” ChenXi interrupts, wiping away the trails of blood and dirt from his face. “You see what I truly am and yet you’re asking me to return!?” ChenXi glares at the other and continues to speak with biting words although his voice falters with inklings of fear closer to the end.
 
“They will kill me on sight, and nothing will change that because all they see is a demon to be killed! And I—refuse to be that demon.” ChenXi chuckles, wearing a defeated expression, his despair slowly bleeding out and showing more and more in his presence. “I have nothing to do with the demons attacking the sect nor any of this but who would believe me?”
 
“I believe you,” NingFei goes up steadfast a few steps closer until halting again. “We can find another path—give me a chance to make a difference.”
 
ChenXi offers a subtle smile then shakes his head, “There’s no other path for me to take.” He looks at NingFei with eyes of sorrow that are met with those of embers. Every memory, every moment of their time together comes down to this. Nothing is meant to last forever and somewhere in his mind he knows there is no tomorrow for them. Because in the end they are on the opposite sides.
 
The hunter and the hunted. Demon and their slayer.
 
“For the sake of our past and all that we have been through, I have one last request...” ChenXi extends his sword-arm, pointing the blade at NingFei. “Stand aside, or you’ll have to cut me down.”
 
A brief silence falls upon them after ChenXi places his request with just the distant echoes of battle carried by the wind in the background. But even so that moment feels like an eternity for the two of them till the silence shatters once more when the flare for reinforcements explodes and lights the sky.
 
“Then so be it...” NingFei’s unwavering voice fills the air with chilling spirit energy as he raises his sword once more, assuming a ready stance to take on the final strike of his opponent. The air keeps cooling down until mist forms and becomes crisping cold with small snowflakes starting to form as they breath. ChenXi tightens his grip on his sword and turns it towards the other. The blade already stained in red, holds a sheen of ominous crimson aura after having tasted its first blood in their earlier clashes.
 
With both their swords in place, stances steady and eyes on their opponent they are at a standstill until they both suddenly leap into action. In a clash of swords, the spirit energy and sword auras are explosively released, sending a wave of energy that sweeps the grassy fields, either partially chilling or draining of life, leaving behind a circle of black and white around them.
 
Even as the dust settles, the eyes of flaring red and those of chilling blue retain their connection unflinching. They keep staring ahead at their opponent but only one of their blades had tasted blood. The now crimson edge has sunk in deep and cut straight through the abdomen before its swiftly pulled away.
 
“If this is what it takes to make you understand.” NingFei stands firm till the end until his form begins to waver, and he ends up coughing clots of blood. “ChenXi” His voice is vibrating from the sheer amount of pain and strain he’s going through. His gaze is solely set on the other even as he bleeds heavily from his wound where the blade had pierced him through. The already pearly skin looks now even paler as snow slowly begins to fall.
 
“Why didn’t you strike me down—why!?” ChenXi catches and sets NingFeiʼs shivering body down to the ground, shielding him from the snow. “Why didn’t you defend yourself...” His questions go unanswered as blood keeps mixing into the soil, dirtying their clothes.
 
“I can’t,” NingFei manages to utter with difficulty, “you’re the only one I can’t...”
 
“No—this can’t be!” ChenXi refuses, furiously shaking his head in sheer and utter disbelief. “You out of all people weren’t supposed to—“ He startles awake from his daze, finding his shaking hands dripping with blood and staring down at the familiar face of a man with silvery white hair, who is slowly raising his hand to trace along ChenXiʼs face, mouthing words that fall in to deaf ears until the blue eyes close and the voice falls silent. When NingFeiʼs hand drops down, the wall of ice and snow crumbles behind them as the chilling spirit energy gradually disperses.
 
ChenXi calls the other again, “Hey—NingFei...” and again till his voice breaks.
 
The shock and tears never had the time to sink in before ChenXi loses it completely and any composure he had left falls apart. It is just their two hunched figures left out in the falling snow with the endless cries of despair and regret echoing out in the hollow forest.
 
“NingFei!”
 
 
 

 
Author's Notes:
The prologue of the story. It doesn't reveal much but it should give you a feel as to what's coming up. The story is strongly influenced by asian folklore so it has various elements that I have combined into one. I have put a lot of mind into making this, including certain names and characters. I have done my best to study the subjects and pardon me if there's some err's to this work. You're more than welcome to correct me. I might add some explanations in the future if the need arises to some wordings as I do not expect everyone to know about asian folklore in depth. I don't claim to be an expert either at this but rather it is an interest of mine that has inspired me to write again. So, without further jabbering, please enjoy reading the story and look forward to the next updates.
 
Until next time, WIAN13