Chapter 2

Keeping Company

"Aren't you coming?" Mina asked, her hand on the door handle.

The CEO smiled softly at her and Mina–

Was... was her scarf too tight around her neck? Why couldn't Mina breathe? God...

"I don't really know...how to skii. You guys go without me."

"You sure, boss?" Jeongyeon's loud voice right behind her startled Mina and she jumped slightly.

Tzuyu chuckled at her reaction and in that moment, Mina kind of wanted to go outside and lie face-down in the snow. It was probably the only effective way for her cheeks to cool down. 

"Yeah, It's fine. Have fun."

"Alrighty then." 

***

Mina had a really good time.

She beat Jihyo's at a race, beat everyone's in the snowball fight; scored a snowball in Jeongyeon's fully protected head, heroically saved Dahyun from a cruel shot and got rewarded a kiss on the cheek for it. Listened to Chaeyoung whine about not diving in front of the snowball herself so Dahyun would have kissed her instead– making her crush on the girl painfully obvious which amused Mina to no end.

Everyone went back to skiing after the snowball fight got boring. Mina had just pulled her googles down her eyes when she saw Tzuyu staring out of the cabin with a soft smile, a cup of something hot in her hands. She looked so cozy, soft and....

Lonely.

It didn't sit right with her. So with determined steps that left deep footprints in the snow, she walked towards the cabin. She could see the slight confusion (and...panic?) on the CEO's face.

She opened the door and poked her head inside with a nervous grin before getting in. "Hi."

Tzuyu smiled and looked down at her cup. "Hi."

For a few seconds Mina awkwardly stood at the entrance.

"You have snow all over you," Tzuyu laughed and stepped closer. She pushed the snow on Mina's hat and shoulders before her smile turned into something more, and with her warm hands she wiped the water droplets on Mina's cold cheeks. Her hands stayed still much longer than needed, but Mina wasn't about to point that out.

She was screaming. Inside her head, of course. Tzuyu's hands were so warm– 

"Ewhm–" A sound escaped her, in between a whimper and a silent scream. She knew her cheeks were burning hot now, her eyes blurry with tears of embarrassment. The hell was that sound? She swallowed thickly and cleared as she moved away from Tzuyu and walked towards the fireplace.

"Ah..., wow it's so warm!" She basically yelled, kneeling down in front of the fire, warming her hands. Idiot, of course it's warm. It's freaking FIRE.

Tzuyu didn't laugh at her, which Mina was kind of grateful for.

"So I take it you came inside because you were cold?" She said instead, grabbing her cup from the table and sitting on the couch behind Mina, crossing her legs.

"I–" Mina stumbled over her words. "Well, yeah." She lied, instantly feeling like a truck has run over her when she looked behind and saw Tzuyu with a broken smile on her face. "But I...I also thought you wouldn't mind a little company."

Tzuyu softly chuckled. "l suppose I was feeling a bit lonely..."

"You don't have to." Mina took a seat next to Tzuyu. "Just because we're your employees doesn't mean we can't be friends." Her puffy gloved hands took one of Tzuyu's warm ones in hers.

"I know that, it's just–"

"What?"

"I kind of sprained my ankle a few days ago? It's actually the real reason I'm sitting this out."

"Oh." Mina's eyebrows lifted up.

"Yeah..." Tzuyu looked away.

Awkward silence.

"How did you um...sprain it?"

A look of panic crossed Tzuyu's face. She very obviously tried to hide it but she did a really bad job on it. "I was....So I was uh, walking."

"Hmm. Obviously," Mina giggled, encouraging her to continue.

Tzuyu blinked. "I was trying not to step on legos."

"Wow. Intense."

Tzuyu seemed to relax at her joking tone. "I could've died."

"Glad you didn't. I don't think our company would have survived the aftermath. 'Powerful Young CEO Falls Victim to Legos'. Doesn't sound good."

Tzuyu laughed. "I'm afraid the media outlets wouldn't bat an eye if I died. They aren't very fond of me."

She sighed and leaned back, looking down at her cup. "They've made that very clear by painting me as the foolish, spoiled brat of the family that threw a tantrum to snatch the CEO seat from her brother."

"Can't say I haven't seen those articles." Mina scoffed. "But I know you're nothing like that.–"

"A part of it is true." Under Mina's curious gaze, Tzuyu swallowed thickly. "My brother was supposed to be your new CEO. My mother thought he was a better option since– since I... wasn't in the best shape." Tzuyu laughed as she said this, but Mina couldn't make sense why.

"Oh," 

"It wasn't anything serious. Believe me." Tzuyu said with a smile when she saw the worried look in Mina's eyes. "But even after that, my mother still didn't think I would be capable enough to run a company in a foreign country. In the end, I managed to convince my parents but it drew a wall between us."

A few seconds passed as Mina stared into the hurt in Tzuyu's eyes. There was more she wasn't telling.

"...I'm sure they'll come around."

Tzuyu looked at her and smiled. "I hope so." She yawned and put her cup of hot chocolate down before lying down on the couch, her head on Mina's lap. "Is this okay?" She asked, her eyes closed. 

Mina's fingertips hesitantly touched the CEO's brown locks. Her touch light as a feather, she started running her fingers through her hair, gently massaging her scalp. When she felt bold, she scratched slightly. It drew a chuckle from Tzuyu and Mina's cheeks reddened.

A bit hesitantly maybe– but after a few minutes, Tzuyu grabbed Mina's hand that was caressing her head and locked their fingers. A gentle kiss on her hand almost made Mina jump, and the fact that Tzuyu kissed her hand registered so late that when she eventually realized it, the CEO had already fallen asleep in her lap.

***

Nayeon laughed after Mina told her about what happened at the cabin and how confused she was. "She totally likes you."

Mina didn't know how to reply to that. Not after what happened in the cabin. It did feel like she was being treated a bit differently lately. She shook her head. The looks surely must have been her imagination. But the lipstick stain on her hand surely was not. She loved that shade. Something between pink and red that complimented Tzuyu's lips nicely– 

Mina cleared . "She's my boss."

Nayeon rolled her eyes. "And? As long as it's not an abusive relationship, I see no problem. And oh my god, Mina can we please stop pretending you don't like her? She kissed your hand and your gay heart couldn't even take it." Nayeon then grabbed Mina's hand, turning it around to find the lipstick stain. "Like girl, I bet you didn't wash that. Nasty."

Mina pulled her hand back in lightning speed. "I– was going to...! I must have forgot."

Nayeon gave her the Look™.

Mina's cheeks turned red. "Fine. I like her a little bit." Nayeon lifted an eyebrow smugly. "But what if it doesn't work? We'd be stuck in the same workplace until she eventually transfers me or worse case scenario, fires me. God, she'd definitely fire me." Mina frowned.

"First of all, that girl is so whipped she'd rather fire herself than fire you." Nayeon threw a jelly in . "Second, I'm sorry, I didn't know we were talking about your high school crush– um, hello? Last time I checked you were both adults. You'll deal with it if it doesn't work out."

"Right. You're right."

"Of course I am. Now, can we please continue the movie? I've been itching to press play for the last two hours."

"It hasn't been that long." Mina glances at the clock on the hotel wall. "Oh. It has. Wow."

Nayeon gave her a look. "You're out of excuses to avoid this now, Ms. Myoui. We talked everything out. Accept your fate and come here."

Mina whined and crawled on the bed next to Nayeon, who had a laptop open in her lap. "Must we really watch a horror movie? What's wrong with a good ol' rom-com? Animation even? Ooh, we could watch–"

"I swear if you suggest a marvel movie I WILL throw you out."

Mina pressed her lips together, eyes wide.

"Yeah, thought so." Nayeon turned her attention back on the screen. "It's not that scary anyway. It's an old movie, the special effects are trash."

"Then why are even watching it?" Mina pouted, hugging Nayeon's arm already.

"Shh, pay attention."

***

Mina shivered as she threw a blanket around herself and opened the door. She slowly shut it, careful not to wake the older girl. 

Nayeon was right, the movie wasn't that scary. Or maybe it was? Actually Mina wouldn't know. She might have watched the lipstick stain on the back of her hand more than the movie, to be honest. Not her fault in the slightest– after her conversation with Nayeon, it hit her that she might actually have a real chance with the CEO. Not just pining after her but really her feelings being returned. It got her so excited that one second she was looking at the lipstick stain on her hand and the other she was suddenly imagining a house by the beach, her wife Tzuyu laughing with her two children, three dogs and two cats running around them in circles.

Uh, point being– Mina decided that before this confidence of hers withered away, she had to confess. It's been eating her up inside for months now and it was getting tiring.

Before she could stop and think she knocked on Tzuyu's door the second she was in front of it. No answer. She knocked a few more times, more timidly now, but Tzuyu still didn't answer.

Not wanting to bother her too much, Mina felt disappoinment taking over her as she pouted and frowned, frustrated.

She looked outside.

The snow looked even more beautiful in the night. How that was possible, Mina had no idea. Everything was silent, Mina could hear her shuddering breaths leaving her trembling lips. Although it was already cold in the hall, when she walked outside the balcony it was even colder– and as she breathed in the fresh air, Mina closed her eyes.

"–I know. Yeah."

Her eyes fluttered open at the voice, speaking in almost hushed whispers. Mina looked to her right and saw Tzuyu just a little far, leaning against the railing. Unaware of her presence, talking on the phone.

Mina's heart immediately started jumping in her chest. Finally. Here was her chance. This was it. Wanting to surprise the CEO, she stealthily took a few steps forward.

"Aw. I miss you too, baby."

She froze.

"I promise to make it up to you when I come back." Tzuyu then spoke in a baby voice, exceptionally sweet as she talked with whoever was on the phone. "I know. I know. Okay. Mhm. But. You really should stop calling me at night." She chuckled, and Mina saw her fingers drawing shapes on the railing. "Does Seolhyun even know you're calling? Okay, go to sleep now, it's late. I love you too, baby. Yeah, I wuv you. Sweet dreams."

Mina never ran quieter and faster in her life. With her heart beating in her ears, she jumped back inside and basically ran to her room before Tzuyu could even catch a glimpse of her. Mina felt her heart sink as she leaned back against the door. Tzuyu's sweet words repeated on and on and on inside her head. She held her face between her hands and breathed deeply– cursing herself for eavesdropping on a private conversation of her boss.

Her boss that she was going to confess to.

She felt tighten up, her eyes stinging as she slid under the covers. She tried to sleep but her mind was too occupied by the thoughts of Tzuyu with a faceless stranger.

***

It was ridiculous.

Ridiculous how she avoided Tzuyu for the rest of the trip. Ridiculous how her heart could even endure Tzuyu's kicked puppy face every time she gave her the cold shoulder.

It was also ridiculous how she felt so so angry.

"What is up with you?" Jeongyeon asked, bumping her shoulder.

"Nothing."

"You've been glaring at the snow for ten minutes like it betrayed you and your whole family."

"It's nothing."

"Did Nayeon do something last night? Is that why–"

"No." Mina sighed. She was not going to snap at Jeongyeon who was just trying to be a good friend. "I'm okay. Nayeon didn't do anything."

The trip went rather quickly with Mina completely ignoring and avoiding Tzuyu. Tzuyu stopped trying after a while and although it made Mina feel horrible, maybe this was how it always should have been. Just a CEO and her employee.

Days passed in the office: watering her cactus, drowning in paperwork and occasionally testing games for Jeongyeon, emptying the coffee machine in a day since Tzuyu didn't stop her from her excessive caffeine intake anymore. Her lunches were usually spent alone now, mostly in the office and occasionally outside.

They were exceptionally busy the last few days, thanks to a trash article publishing horrible untrue facts about the company but mostly its CEO. The article had pointed out several mistakes the CEO made since the start of the year and had taken quotes out of context– making her look like something she definitely was not. Tzuyu's family was interviewed at some point too for the same article. But what they said weren't exactly helpful in her case. Quite the opposite, actually. Normally, if this was published by a small media outlet, it wouldn't have gotten much attention. But since it was one of the 'most successful'...

After the uproar it caused, a few articles followed the original for more clicks– making things worse.

A few of their investors had arguments with the head of the company and there were people coming in and out of the CEO's room constantly. Their stocks dropped, everyone was so on edge but no one was as frustrated and upset as Tzuyu.

A selected few of the company's employees tried to make things better for the CEO, leaving her flowers, cookies and cards of encouragement. The tired smile on Tzuyu's face as she thanked them was heartbreaking. (Mina might have also slipped in a cookie of her own into the basket with a note– but Tzuyu didn't know that)

It was easy to avoid Tzuyu when she was this busy. (Even with how much Mina wanted to burst inside that room and tell the stressed CEO she was nothing of those terrible things they were saying she was)

But there were times she couldn't simply avoid her. Mina had to be professional. Which was why when Tzuyu had asked her to her office, she didn't hesitate to open the door.

"You asked for me?"

"Yes, uh– please." Tzuyu gestured the couch and Mina felt a tiny bit of something stinging when Tzuyu sat on the farthest spot from her. "Since last week– since that day at the skii resort, I have....noticed you've been a little distant from me." Tzuyu looked down, and Mina now could see better how much the CEO was exhausted. Had she been losing sleep over this? "And I understand why. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable. I never intended for that. Never. I just thought–" Tzuyu's usual confident posture was nowhere to be seen as she slouched more and more, as if she was embarrassed or worse: hurt.

Mina hated seeing it so much. She was the one who was supposed to be hurt. She was the one whose feelings were constantly played. 

Technically, even if Tzuyu was in a relationship, she hadn't really been cheating. Things never went anything further than friendship between the CEO and her but there were times that– times that felt more. And it made Mina sick to the stomach when she realized all this time, there was someone else

Mina stood up. "If that's all, Ms. Chou?"

"Mina–" Tzuyu sighed, her eyes teary as she looked up at her. She swallowed, very obviously holding back the words she really wanted to say. "....Yes. That's all." Her voice was coming out choked, rough. She stood up and walked back to her desk, her heels clacking against the floor with remorse. "I'm sorry. You can go."

As soon as Mina walked out, her eyes welled up. Frown on her face, she immediately went to the bathroom. 

Maybe it was the way she opened the door so aggressively, but Nayeon's scared reaction was priceless. She might have laughed if she didn't just had her heart broken.

"Christ, Mina! We need that door–"

Mina's frown deepened and deepened until she finally started sobbing. Her cheeks were already wet when Nayeon pulled her in a hug. "Oh... don't cry. What happened? Why are you–"

Mina buried her face in Nayeon's chest, her arms tightening around her waist. "Tzuyu..."

"Ah...that." Nayeon caressed her back, soothing her with her gentle touch. Her voice was soft and worried as she asked: "Finally ready to talk why your crush suddenly became your nemesis?"

***

"And then Nayeon told me I might be assuming things." She scoffed. "Please. That call was obviously from someone more than a friend."

Ray barked.

"I know. I didn't think Tzuyu as someone who could ever cheat on her partner either. But that phone call was different. She was all so sweet and glowing and... and cute while talking to whoever that was."

Jumping up on the bed, Ray wagged his tail and got comfortable next to Mina, snuggling to her side. He grumbled lowly.

Mina chuckled, petting her adorable dog. "Yeah, you're right. Maybe I really should have asked her. But we're not even dating. What was I supposed to even say?"

Her phone started ringing.

Mina frowned, no one calls her this late. Ever.

She glanced at the phone and saw Tzuyu's name on the screen.

There were four options why Tzuyu could be calling her at 11:43 pm: 

1. she was drunk,

2. she wanted to mend things,

3. she was drunk and she wanted to mend things

4. there was a company emergency.

Either way, Mina decided to accept the call and brought the phone close to her ear, caressing Ray's soft fur with her other hand. "Hello?" She spoke, softly and worried.

"Hewwo? Can you he'p me?"

It was a child. ...Why was a child calling her from Tzuyu's phone?

"Who's this?" Mina sat up on the bed, frowning.

"Mo-Mommy fell down." The kid was crying from what Mina could tell. "She needs he'p."

Her coat was already in her hand as she ran out. "Alright honey, slow down. Are you home? Are you and your mom in Tzuyu's house?"

"Yes. Home. My...My mommy is–"

"Can you give the phone to your mommy for me?" Mina grabbed Sana's car keys she luckily borrowed earlier today and pressed the elevator button and got inside.

"Mommy?... Mommy?" Mina heard the toddler say, probably calling to her mother. "She– She's going back to s'eep now."

Mina ran outside and got into Sana's car, starting it up. "That's alright, sweetie. I'm on my way. I'll be there with more help, okay? Keep an eye on mommy. Can you do that for me?"

"Yeah."

"Good. You're a smart girl. I'm gonna call the ambulance now, okay? Can you open the door when I get there?" Mina tried not to drive too fast, desperately trying to remember Tzuyu's address from the few times she dropped her off.

"Mhm."

Mina called an ambulance as she drove to Tzuyu's place, keeping the little helper on the other line. When the emergency line asked her if the patient was conscious, Mina asked the toddler again to be sure. "Is your mom still sleeping, honey? Is she alright?"

"She's awake a wittle...– Are you al'ight, mommy?"

"Tell her help is coming, we're almost there."

"He'p is coming, mommy. It's okay."

The way the baby was speaking to her mother was breaking Mina's heart. Maybe that was what pushed her to drive just a tad bit faster, worried out of her mind for these people she didn't even know.

When she finally arrived, everything happened so quick: one second she was out of the car, the other she was knocking on Tzuyu's door. "I'm here! Can you open the door for me?"

"Yeah."

A few movements behind the door and Mina saw the face of the little hero. Well...barely. She was hiding behind the door, one eye glaring at her like she wasn't sure if she should let her in.

"Hello."

"Hi," the toddler said softly in her squeaky tiny voice.

"I'm the one you talked to on the phone. I'm here to help your mommy. Can I see her?"

The door opened further and Mina took it as a permission for her to get inside. She took a good look at the baby once she was inside (who Mina now guessed was probably around 4 years old); brown hair messily tied up on top of her head like a tiny fountain, her cheeks full and chubby, wearing a onesie that had puppy prints on it. Adorable. 

If Mina wasn't scared out of her mind for this little baby's mother, she might have just picked her up kissed her on the cheeks or hugged her until she cried.

The toddler ran ahead of her, waddling. Mina waddled behind her– and once they entered the kitchen, Mina's eyes flew open.

There it was, Tzuyu on the floor; her eyes barely open, complexion paler than Mina has ever seen, making pained sounds like she was trying to tell what was wrong with her.

"Tzuyu!" Mina knelt down at her side immediately, feeling her forehead. A fever. She was sweating. Barely conscious...Her blood pressure must have dropped.

After coming to this conclusion, Mina quickly took off her coat and folded it before she put it under Tzuyu's head as a pillow. "The ambulance is coming, alright? You're gonna be okay. Can you tell me what hurts, Tzuyu?" Mina grabbed Tzuyu's legs and lifted them up, holding them in the air to help blood flow to her heart.

Tzuyu's pupils moved to the side and she swallowed, frowning as she weakly pointed to .

"Okay–" Mina could hear the faint sounds of ambulance sirens. It helped her calm down. She rubbed Tzuyu's legs up and down, warming her up. "Try to breathe normally. Calm down your breathing. Come on,"

"Mommy?" The baby stood near Tzuyu's head, tears swimming in her eyes, bottom lip wobbling. Tzuyu lifted her trembling hand to grab the tiny clenched fist.

After a minute or so, there was more color to Tzuyu's skin, her eyes were more focused. It was just then when help arrived. The nurses made Tzuyu sit up who was considerably better than when Mina first arrived. They asked a few questions, Mina answered most of them.

The nurse checked Tzuyu's sore throat. "So she hasn't been this sick at work earlier?"

"No, she seemed fine. Maybe a sore throat but I don't think she had a fever."

"Has she been stressed lately?" When Mina didn't answer immediately, the nurse turned to Tzuyu who was being supported by the other nurse that was checking her vitals. "Have you been under too much stress lately, darling?"

Tzuyu swallowed. "I–..I guess. I don't know."

"Well, your vitals are fine now. Just a bit of a fever but nothing that requires a hospital. Just keep yourself stress-free – don't go to work for at least two or three days and stay hydrated."

Tzuyu frowned at the pain as she swallowed, her voice low and the words barely out of . "Okay. Thank you," 

The nurses tidied up their equipment and as soon as they left Tzuyu's side, the toddler ran and hugged her. Tzuyu caressed the baby's soft hair lovingly.

Both nurses smiled at the heart-warming sight. "Again, there's no requirement for hospital care but if you insist you're not well and still want to go, it's your choice."

Tzuyu shook her head. "I'm fine."

"It would be wise to still go to the hospital tomorrow and get checked up. What made her sickness worse was very possibly caused by stress but it would be better to be sure in case it's not."

Mina spoke up this time on Tzuyu's behalf. "I'll make sure she goes. Thank you so much for your help."

"Just doing our job. Goodnight ladies."

After the nurses were gone, Mina looked back at Tzuyu who still had the toddler in her lap, sitting on the floor. The little girl's head was buried in Tzuyu's chest, her little fists clenching the soft fabric of Tzuyu's shirt.

Tzuyu had a daughter.

Millions of thoughts flew across Mina's mind before she could register any of it, and everything stopped when Tzuyu lifted her head up to meet her eyes. The toddler– Tzuyu's daughter must have sensed the movement of her mother because she too then lifted her head up to stare at her.

Tzuyu couldn't hold the eye contact for too long and looked away like she was ashamed. Meanwhile, the toddler left her mother's side, waddled over to Mina and hugged her legs.

"Thank you for he'ping my mommy."