Finale

In Shallow Waters || Jeongmi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5:15 am

Sitting on her burgundy jacket as the sun rises, it's rays starting to cover her figure, in her plain white shirt and her black shorts, feet with her admiral blue slippers. The wind creeps up to her skin and brushes through her blonde hair. Cold

Jeongyeon often goes by the seashore just to get away, even for a couple of minutes, from the weight of everything, it's something that keeps her sane. All those requirements from school, her parents got into a fight last night, she couldn't sleep from all their shouting, and they still haven't reached a proper agreement, oh how she wished they would reconcile as soon as possible, and her sisters can't seem to find any time to spend with her anymore, Seoyeon got married and Seungyeon has a lot of schedules that needs her presence. 

Jeongyeon couldn't collect her thoughts anymore. 

So she finds herself here, staring off the horizon, focuses her hearing on the waves splashing on the sand and a few birds chirping that landed on the shore just a few meters away, her thoughts remained blank until one certain girl pops up on her mind

Myoui Mina

Ahh. That girl is definitely something, she thought. The way she walks like a penguin, it's adorable. Her eyes are so pure and know no malice, Jeongyeon can just stare at them for hours if she'd let her. The moles on her face were like constellations, Jeongyeon wondered if God put them there so people would be able to look at the stars even in day time.

And that smile of hers, with the sight of that would invigorate Jeongyeon's whole body, hyping it up, waking every cell and her heart would do back flips over and over again. 

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, taking in the smell of saltiness from the ocean, and she lets it all out with a big huff. But before she can open her eyes, something touches the tip of her nose.

A finger.

She traces her eyes from the hand on her nose all the way to the head to know who pulled her out of her reverie.

"Your breathe smells like rotten eggs" A soft voice blurts out in a sarcastic tone

"Why. Good Morning to you too, Mina-ssi"

Mina lets out a giggle before backing away a few steps from Jeongyeon

"What are you doing here so early in the morning?" Mina asks, tilting her head a bit to the side.

As if in a rom-com, everything just stops, as Jeongyeon is taking in the sight, with the light emitted from the sun behind Mina's figure, she's wearing a cobalt crop top sweater with a pengu patching on it's upper left chest, black jogging pants and all white shoes, her black below the shoulder hair tied that just drops from her neck down, bangs swept to the side, lips sporting a pinkish hue. 

Mina Myoui looks drop dead gorgeous.

Am I in heaven?

"Would you believe me if I said I'm on duty looking out for sea dwellers that might come walk on land and try to take over the whole world?" Jeongyeon responds, a grin plastered on her face. It elicits a wide smile from her company. And Jeongyeon thinks about what deed did she do in her life to be graced by Mina's killer-but-can-also-heal-all-wounds heck of a smile so early in the morning.

"Well, a guardian needs her strength, does she not? Why don't thy come join me to my humble adobe for a notably hearty and satisfying morning meal?" Mina offers, made her spine straight and chin slightly lifted, her hands elegantly holding each other placed near the lower part of her ribcage.

"And leave the coast unguarded and vulnerable of an enemy attack?" Jeongyeon gets on her feet. She slightly bends her right leg and puts it behind the other. Right hand rested just below her shoulder, left arm behind her back as she moves her torso forward a bit, head facing downwards "For you milady, I'd gladly"

Jeongyeon straightens her body with no expression whatsoever and stares at Mina who executes the same impassive look as her, they remain like that for a good few seconds before they both throw into a fit of laughter

As their chuckles dies down, Jeongyeon reaches for her jacket and dusts it off from the granules of sand stuck to it. And hangs it on her left fore arm.

"Shall we get going then, princess?" Jeongyeon offers her right arm to the other girl.

Mina tangles her left arm into Jeongyeon's "We shall" 

Then they both head off to Mina's house with smiles on their faces.

 

 

[•••]

 

 


Mina lives alone. Her parents are back at Japan, busy with work. They sent her to Korea to make their daughter independent and for a new setting, bought her the house she currently lives in. So Mina did, with her parents only taking care of her financial needs, giving her allowance and paying her tuition fees. She learned to live by herself, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning with the help of her friends and especially Jeongyeon.

Mina opened the front door, she removed her shoes, placed them on the shoe rack, and slipped her feet into her penguin designed loafer and strode her way to the kitchen.

Jeongyeon followed behind her, situated her slippers neatly beside Mina's footwear earlier and put on her own personal loafer.

This place never cease to amaze Jeongyeon, it's wide, it's aesthetic. 

With its spring green tinted walls, a dark brown lining at the bottom and two hazelnut sliding windows with white curtains. In the middle was one burlywood brown long sofa, situated at the right end of it was a Bird of Paradise plant, it looks healthy, it's leaves a shimmering dark green (Mina clearly takes care of it well). Facing the sofa is a Sony 60 inch flat screen beside the wall placed on a wooden cabinet, filled with different types of books, penguin plushies, trophies from dance competitions along with medals, and in the central of it was a Nintendo Switch with pictures framed on both sides, one was Mina with her parents on a vacation trip in Switzerland and the other was on Mina's birthday party, Jeongyeon was piggybacking the birthday girl, Nayeon was holding the cake while her other hand was holding a trumpet, Jihyo was the one who took the shot, her face on the left side of the picture. 

On the far left side was a staircase leading to the rooftop, beside it was a snake plant, and just next to the staircase was a door which led to Mina's bedroom. Not far from it was another door, that was the bathroom.

To the right was a doorway that led to the kitchen, an island in the middle, half was a built in stove, half was a gleaming granite counter top, and above it was a hanging pendant light emitting a warm yellow glow, a two door fridge situated beside the sink, cutleries and pinchers were hanging on the wall, cabinets below were filled with plates, bowls and different utensils, hanging wooden cabinets loaded with ingredients and edibles.

This isn't the first time the blonde came over to the house, she's all too familiar with the ins and outs of the building, it's like her second home. 

She goes here to spend most of her time for various reasons (cough* mostly, admiring the brunette. cough*). She comes here to study too, when Mina asked why, she reasons out "because the ambience of the house helps me focus". Heck, sometimes she even sleeps here "the bed is far too comfortable than mine" and waking up to the breathtaking scenery makes me want to commit to forever living.

Mina never complained though, she likes the company, it makes everything more cozy and bearable, though she could have Jeongyeon sleep on the couch, but having to wake up in a warm bed predominates everything else. At first it was really hard for the younger woman, living in this big space alone, it feels so empty, she didn't even know how to wash her own clothes, she used to have maids tend to her every need back at Japan. 

But everything changed when Jeongyeon came with her clean-freak trait, she helped the brunette out of the good of her own heart (definitely not because of the interest she had developed for her. yep, definitely not because of that). 

 

 

[•••]

 


6:11 am

Mina was frying bacon and eggs while Jeongyeon prepared two cups of coffee. It felt so natural. The way they moved through the room, getting to places without getting in the way of the other.

"You had an early jog today" Jeongyeon stated while mixing Mina's coffee first so it'll be warm and perfect to sip once everything was prepared. She knew how the latter liked her coffee, how many tablespoons of sugar, how much milk to add, and how bitter it needs to be. Mina always had a smile on her face whenever she took a sipped from her cup.

"I woke up by 4, and I couldn't really get back to sleep so I decided to start the day early"

7:53 am

They finished breakfast and were currently in the living room

"And that," Jeongyeon stated, while putting the last piece lego on the first batch "is why I don't like those winged beasts"

Mina laid to her side on the sofa from laughing "So you're telling me that those turkeys chased you around for minutes while you're mother chitchatted with your Auntie over who'd be more likely to be crowned as Ms Universe?!"

"And she didn't even notice! I was shouting for help but no one came."

"You shouldn't have screamed in the first place"

"I died at the final level, Myoui. You of all people should know how frustrating that is" Jeongyeon stood up from the floor and made her way to the sofa, she slumped herself beside Mina "And besides, how was a 10 year old me supposed to know that doing so would make them angry" She covered her face with both her arms "Ugghh, my mom would always bring it up whenever we had a family gathering"

"She's just reminding them of one of your best moments in life" Mina straightened her body, playfully smacked the older woman on her forearm before getting up on her feet "My turn" she said and headed to where the set of legos were sprawled on the floor, she opened the plastic bag that had a "2" on it and scattered the pieces in front of her and started working.

Jeongyeon stared at the brunette. She assumed that Mina at circumstances that needed concentration like studying is stoic, focused, occupied- would be the same as Mina putting together the blocks of legos together. 

That hadn't been the case at all. Mina doing the things she likes was frolicsome, slick and blissful. Just like when she dances or played video games, she always looked delighted.

"You're smiling like a ert, you're probably attacking me in that malignant head of yours"

Jeongyeon scoffed "Bold of you to assume that. You think that highly of yourself, huh. You really need to distance yourself from that bunny toothed narcissist, Mina" 

 

 

 

[•••]

 

 


Jeongyeon's friends took Mina in easily. 

Nayeon with her beauty and fashion tips along with "I looked pretty when wearing this, that, those", it's not that Mina's not beautiful, oh god no, Mina is the embodiment of beauty, the balance of proportions and elegance would make other people remind their selves of how much of a potato they are, even with just light make up and simple clothes. 

It's just that she's been using the same set of makeup for a week, and it just bothers the older woman because there are tons of shades of color that would definitely go nicely with her figure. Tons I tell ya.

After a week of Nayeon's advices, Mina went to school with her facial skin evenly covered with concealer and foundation along with a bit of bronze, a faint blush, and slight highlighter, she had rouge eye shadows, applied mascara and eyeliners, her lips were a strawberry hue. 

Not even her friends could believe her refashion, how captivating she looked, they were completely stunned at first glance and Jeongyeon fell even deeper into her intense emotional state of attraction for Mina.

All the boys and girls were head over heels for Myoui Mina, everyone would ask for the girl's number from either Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo or Jihyo. Her locker would always be filled with love letters and people would always ask for dates. There wasn't a day that would pass that no one would confess their love for her, but most of them just wants to get in between her legs, she rejected them all though.

She was overwhelmed by the attention, even feels sorry for her friends to be burdened with people bombarding them with questions like "what's her type?" "what's her favorite flower?" "does she like chocolate?". Nayeon and Jihyo would let them down easily saying Mina wasn't into dating but Jeongyeon would say "beat it, asswipe" " off" or even a "you think you deserve her?"

Mina felt bad for those dissed by Jeongyeon but a part of her felt giddy at the behaviour of the blonde.

It was kinda nice at first, people weren't really that aggressive and pushy, just mild. But as time goes by, most people were getting obsessed with her. (The power that she holds. emayrayt?)

So she did the most logical thing to do, she went back to her usual routine, applying foundation, lining her upper lash line with a kohl pencil and just sheer lip color. The enthrallment eventually died down, but there were still a couple of admirers here and there. 

 

 

[•••]

 


11:37 am

"Why, would you look at that. What a surprise. 3rd place. You're improving Ms. Yoo, unlike the last time we played, you were always last place. I'm completely flabbergasted, stunned to the boned, very astonished" Mina put on a smug look while side eyeing the blonde

"You talk too much, Ms Myoui. Just watch as I take that 1st place from you"

"Please. I know every shortcut and every trick of this game. You won't stand a chance. 3rd place is the highest you'll ever place"

They were currently playing on Mina's Nintendo Switch, they were both seated at the sofa, Mina laid back, enjoying Jeongyeon struggling throughout the game, the latter was leaning forward, eyes focused, determined to prove the younger girl wrong

Well, she couldn't. Mina's just too good.

After 6 rounds of Mario Cart, Jeongyeon got a consecutive 4th place four times and 3rd place the last two rounds.

Mina was just there, staring at her, an 'I told you so' look plastered on her face, shaming Jeongyeon to the core, not uttering a single word, her expression says it all.

"Shut up. The sun was in my eyes, I was hungry, I got distracted by your dog chasing his tail, doing tricks, and making us both pizzas"

"Ok" Mina held her other hand up to Jeongyeon, putting up 4 fingers, her thumb closed, she used her other hand to point at each finger to punctuate what she's saying "One, I didn't even say anything. Two, I don't own a dog. Three, you're delusional. Four, I'm craving for pizza now."

"Well, you should adopt one so I can make him as an excuse. Anyways, Pizza! Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!"

Mina sighed "That's just cruel, Yoo" She took out her phone, dialed for delivery and gave Jeongyeon a questioning look before pressing the call button

"You know what I like"

"Hawaiian it is then"

Mina knows and Jeongyeon feels so grateful to have her around.

 

 

[•••]

 

 


Momo would talk to her about her dance experiences and  recommends the best places to eat that she and Jeongyeon went to, since they were the big eaters of the group.

Jeongyeon once talked about Momo drooling over the waitress on one of their signature food outing, Dahyun was it? Well she walked over to their table and asked for their orders, after Jeongyeon said hers, she looked over at Momo with love-struck eyes staring at the paled skin girl, her marmalade colored hair tied up neatly in a pony tail, sporting a black and white maid outfit and a name tag positioned on the upper left side of her chest, white knee socks and Mary Jane shoes, Dahyun tapped Momo lightly at her shoulder 

"Ms? What can I get for you?" 

Momo was taken out of her bewildered state . "Oh u-uhm, y-you" 

"Excuse me?" 

"I-I meant I'll t-take what she's having!" 

And with that Dahyun left the two. Jeongyeon looked at Momo with the smuggest expression plastered on her face. "That was charming". There was a pink hue on Momo's face, clearly embarrassed, and angry at her best friend but also disappointed at herself

"I swear to god Jeongyeon if you don't shut up, I'll raid your house and break your legos!"She slammed her hand on top of the table

"You wouldn't dare, Hirai" Pointing at the dancing machine

"Oh I would, Yoo. Try me" Her voice was sinister and challenging

"You can't even lay a finger on them, they're set in carefully locked up in safe, surrounded with security cameras and traps that'll trigger at any trespassers that would even try to get into close proximity" Jeongyeon put forth a smug expression, crossing her arms on her chest. Confident. (Lmao. They're just displayed in a glass figurine in their living room tho.) 

"Hah! That's not a problem at all, Yoo" Momo retorted "I've broke one of Nayeon's expensive lipstick and until this very day, she doesn't even know that I, the great Hirai, was the culprit behind the incident"

"You did what?! That self-centered maniac broke my bike, she thought I did it!"

"Well. That's unfortunate of you" Momo sticked out her tongue to the older woman

In the middle of their bickering, their food had arrived cutting of their back and forth firing of words.

After they finished eating Momo reached and took a napkin from the holder, Dahyun came and placed their receipt on their table "8,750 won please" opened up her palm to them out so they can place their bills. Momo searched her pockets with her free hand, and accidentally placed the napkin on the waitress' palm, Dahyun stared at Momo in confusion only then did the latter realize what she had done "Oh . S-sorry... that's not it"

As they were heading out of the establishment, Jeongyeon had a couple of tears roll down her cheeks, doing her attractive but also kinda weird mouth-opened-laughter, her hand holding her stomach while the other was holding on Momo's shoulder for support. Whilst the younger girl's ears were reddish, both hands covering her face, squealing her lungs out, and mumbling a "I'll never come back here again" 

 

 

[•••]

 


2:46 pm

Jeongyeon was laying her head on Mina's lap, the younger girl's feet laid on top on the table, along with empty boxes of pizza. 

"You know, I always wanted to watch Leis mesirables-"

"Les meserables"

"Nerd. Anyways, there are a lot of good feedback about the singing, oppression, liberation and redemption of it. I don't know, I wanna watch it"

"Then go watch it"

"I don't have time"

"What do you mean you don't have time? You mostly just hang around"

"True. I am busy hanging around. Hanging around you" the blonde shoots finger guns to the brunette

"That was horrible" Mina dead-panned

"Really? I thought it was good!"

"It was two out of ten"

"Wow. That low?"

"Wait, no. Maybe a 1.25?"

"Myoui! I am hurt" Jeongyeon clutches the fabric in the middle of her chest "I think I preferred you when you were cold and indifferent. All this uppityness is getting on my nerves" 

"Pfft. You love it, really"

"Well, maybe. But the point is I'm highly provoked to kick you out of this building"

"Uhm. You might've forgotten but this is my house? Old age getting to you, already?"

 

 

[•••]

 

 

And Jihyo would always help her out with any subjects that she had trouble in and Mina would do the same. According to Jeongyeon, they were the smarty pants.

There was a time where Nayeon, Momo and Jeongyeon were failing their general chemistry because they were fighting over who was better for Bella Swan during class, well Momo was only watching the two angrily scribbling on their notebooks, adding her own thoughts. 

They all watched the whole series during the weekends. Mina and Jihyo couldn't care less about it though, they were more interested in action themed movies.

Jeongyeon started it all with "Edward is a manipulative jerk, Jacob should be the one with Bella, he makes her feel warm, physically and emotionally" just as the teacher came into the room. Nayeon was about to retort back to the said statement when Ms Sunmi spat out a "settle down class". Nayeon wouldn't let this pass so she took out her notebook.

"Edward is perfect for Bella. She always puts her first before anything else, even his own HAPPINESS" Nayeon first wrote out and slid it to Jeongyeon

"He's just a cold blooded leech! >:|" 

"The only human he on was Bella and he just did so because he held on the possibility of bringing her back to life!"

"She wouldn't have died in the first place if she didn't make out with him!" 

"For god's sake, they loved each other!"

"Edward's dangerous"

"So you're saying Jacob isn't?

"At least she lets Bella do her impulses" 

While Jeongyeon was writing, Momo scribbled at the side of the notebook, since she sat just beside Jeongyeon, "Fiddle dee, fiddle doo, " "Jacob's are nice" and a "y, smexy, hot- Rosalie" 

In the end, they all agreed that Bella's a stupid motherer that should've listened to her dad to stay away from the Cullens in the first place

So here they are, gathered in Mina's living room for a group study, in a Friday evening. 

Nayeon, Jihyo and Momo were seated on the sofa. Jihyo's trying to teach them both with a book in hand, for the first half they actually listened to her but Nayeon can't seem to contain the urge to look at herself for even just a goddamn second more, took out her phone and even shot a selfie or two, now admiring her facial features and Momo on the side seemed to be dozing off

Mina and Jeongyeon were seated on the floor, notebooks on the transparent table, Jeongyeon looks like she's listening to Mina lecturing her but really, there's nothing going into her head. Her focus isn't on the discussion but the one discussing. And when the younger girl would ask a question, the blonde would just mumble out mixed words that the brunette can't seem to understand. 

"Wait! I brought refreshments!" Nayeon suddenly announced to the whole group and went out the door and took out something from the trunk of her Maserati Quattroporte. 

"She wouldn't, would she?" Jihyo said and looked at Mina, her warning alarms in her head triggering one by one. 

"Oh. She would" Momo beside her grinned and let out an amused chuckle, all signs of drowsiness leaving her body, now fully awake and giddy.

"No. It can't be" Mina looked at the front door hoping it's not what she thinks it is.

Jeongyeon jumped on her feet from her seat "Hell yeah!"

Nayeon smashed the door open, carrying a case of beer "LET'S GET IT ON" 

"WOOOOH!" Momo and Jeongyeon both shouted euphorically in unison.

Jihyo let out a sigh "ing kids. All of you are gonna be the death of me one day"

"We're older though" Nayeon responded

"Shut up, you oldie and hand me a bottle"

Jihyo was always exposed to alcohol because of the older 3, birthday parties and such, so they know exactly what the outcome will be when Jihyo gets about 3 bottles into her system.

Mina arranged their study materials and sets it aside knowing it's gonna get messy.

"She'll probably be a heap of a crying mess when she gets drunk" Momo declared pointing at Mina

"Five bucks says she'll be an aggressive and aphrodisiac blend" Nayeon joined in

"You're on" 

This was the first time that they'll have a drink with the penguin like girl. 

Mina went to the kitchen, took out varieties of snacks from the cabinets until her hands were full, Jeongyeon walked in and helped the brunette, taking some of the items that were occupying the hands of the younger girl "Hey, are you okay with this? Drinking beer I mean, you usually don't-"

"It's fine, Jeongyeon. I've tasted wine before so don't be such a worrywart, okay?" She reassured and gave her a light tap on the shoulder and headed to the living room and left Jeongyeon behind, still feeling anxious about this.

And well, it did get messy into their 3-5 bottles, there's pieces of food everywhere, the sofa smelled like beer because Momo tripped from one of the leg of the table and dribbled some of the beverage in her hand, "ing clutz" Nayeon mocked. 

And jesus christ. It's always the quiet ones. Who knew drunk Mina would throw a chair out the window, breaking the glass into fragments, picked a fight with one of her penguin plushy about who's the better one "You're more adorable but can you do ballet?!" then she danced around showing of her skills to the stuffed animal.

And then there's Jihyo with a bottle hand sanitizer from her bag that she always brought with her, spraying it everywhere like a ing Pope "Let your souls be cleansed". After emptying the container and throwing it away to wherever it is now, she then proceeded to connect her phone to the speakers, played some tunes and vivaciously danced to it. As if on cue, everyone instinctively swayed along to the music drunk, tipsy, senseless.

Jihyo is now currently trying to sing along to a French song playing on T.V. Mina is sitting with her leg on top of the other on Jeongyeon's lap, the latter frozen in place and can't think clearly, not knowing what to do. She was still sober. And so was Nayeon, she needed to drive after all.

"You owe me five bucks, sis" Nayeon said to the gassed Momo eating on a wrapper after finishing every edible snack found in the household.

1:02 am

The blonde helped the eldest lay Momo and Jihyo in the back seat of the Maserati, they were conscious but Nayeon and Jeongyeon still had a hard time dragging the two outside, they weren't exactly what you call light. 

After the three were all settled down, "Are you sure you can handle them?" Jeongyeon asked through the passenger's window

"I'll be fine, besides, your hands are full with tidying up the house and looking after that lunatic of a girlfriend of yours" 

"She's not my girlfriend, Im" Jeongyeon hissed.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you say sweetie"

Nayeon, Momo and Jihyo always knew Mina and Jeongyeon liked each other as more than friends, it shows in the way Jeongyeon takes care of Mina, the blonde always puts her first before anything else, she's her top priority.

And the way Mina looks at Jeongyeon so fondly whenever the latter tells stories or jokes, does whatever stupid thing that pops up in her head, or simply just doing nothing at all.

"Lesh do thish again!" Jihyo suggested out loud and to Momo's displeasure who was just starting to doze off "Quiet down, Thomas! Holy Crap, some of us are trying to sleep here"

Nayeon and Jeongyeon giggled at the same time at their friend's dispute.

"Well then" the taller woman backed away from the vehicle "Take care, Nayeon"

"Goodnight, Jeongyeon" Then the bunny toothed girl started to drive to her friend's houses to drop them off and head to her own home to get some rest.

Jeongyeon went inside the house, looking at the mess they've made, everything's displaced, there are crumbs scattered on the floor, scraps are all over the place, bottles here and there. She had a lot to do before she had to go home but firstly

"Jeongiee~" Mina was sitting at the bottommost part of the stairway

Jeongyeon went to the younger girl, crouching to her level "Hey there, let's get you to bed, alright?". She lifted Mina up, one arm under her legs and the other arm supporting her back like a groom carrying his bride. Jeongyeon blushed at the thought.

The brunette giggled and wrapped her arms around the older girl's neck "Havve I ever told you how-" hiccup "beautifuul you are?"

Mina was blunt. It was cute. Jeongyeon didn't mind it at all.

"No, I don't think you have actually"

"Then how about how stoopid you look while" hiccup "laughing?"

Okay. Jeongyeon minded it a little.

Jeongyeon started to walk towards Mina's bedroom, good thing the door's open, Mina must've fetched something inside earlier and forgot to close it.

The room was wide, it had a Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night tapestry placed on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter