Chapter 4

Sanguine

He was tired or loopy or both. The after effects of a panic attack tended to linger on his body and mind long after it’s over. When he was coherent enough to communicate hours later, he asked Seunghoon who was cradling him at the time, to please get him his pills. 

 

“Bedside drawer.” His voice not making it quite above a whisper. 

 

“Seungyoon… can Mino get them?” 

 

At the mere mention of his name, Seungyoon flinched and burrowed closer to the pack alpha, making himself as small as possible. 

 

“Shh… It’s okay. Sorry. Jinwoo will get them. Shh..” 

 

At least Seunghoon knew that if an unwelcome alpha went into Seungyoon’s room or more aptly his ‘nest’, Seungyoon wouldn’t be able to be comfortable in it anymore. Pack etiquette. 

 

His father used to barge into his room all the time which was one of the reasons for Seungyoon’s deeply ingrained anxieties. 

 

He breathed in Seunghoon’s scent, keeping him in his lungs, as if the faint smell he could detect would protect him. It didn’t matter. Seungyoon’s mind was as unsteady as his entire life. He stopped expecting anything. 

 

*

 

Seunghoon felt pity for Mino who looked stricken at Seungyoon’s reaction. It was perfectly understandable that the omega would not accept him right away. Seungyoon’s reaction was warranted. They were supposed to be his new pack. Mino rejected him first by not being there when Seungyoon entered their household. 

 

Unfortunate. Seunghoon should’ve tried harder to convince Mino. 

 

He sent an apologetic look to the youngest alpha who was sitting all the way in the kitchen while Jinwoo ran to get Seungyoon’s meds. 

 

Mino nodded, face stony. He understood the consequences of his actions. Seunghoon knew he would do better. 

 

Seunghoon pressed his temple on Seungyoon’s shoulder, gently scenting him. He was still wrapped in Seunghoon’s blanket, but it comforted Seunghoon to do it. 

 

Jinwoo came back with a glass of water and a small pill box. 

 

“Yoon. Which one do you need?” 

 

It took a few seconds for Seungyoon to respond. Finally, “White… round.” 

 

“Got it. Open up.” Jinwoo Seungyoon’s jaw. The omega obediently opened his mouth and Jinwoo placed the pill on his tongue. The metal straw clicked against Seungyoon’s teeth as he took a sip of water to wash it down. 

 

“What are the other pills?” Seunghoon asked. He knew the medications Seungyoon was still taking from reading his file, but he didn’t know what they looked like. 

 

“Yellow, pain. Red… suppressant. Others— vitamins.” 

 

Jinwoo looked at the assortment of pills and tablets in there. There was quite a lot. Seunghoon ran his fingers through Seungyoon’s hair, feeling the abnormal warmth radiating from his scalp. “You’re a bit feverish.” He said. 

 

“Mm.” Seungyoon turned to hide his face in his throat. 

 

Seunghoon’s alpha crowed with delight at the trust the omega was showing. Jinwoo rolled his eyes, probably smelling Seunghoon’s claiming pheromones. 

 

“Shush you.” He said. 

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Jinwoo shrugged. 

 

Seunghoon looked meaningfully at Mino, as if saying, you can also have this. Mino looked at the three of them on the couch, Jinwoo taking some of Seungyoon’s weight, replacing Seunghoon’s hand, petting Seungyoon’s hair. 

 

Having an omega around was definitely a different experience. 

 

Seunghoon never had to worry about Jinwoo and Mino. While the instinct was there to take care of his pack, his mates, the instinct to give the world to Seungyoon was unique to Seungyoon alone. 

 

He hoped that in time, Mino would feel that too. 

 

*

 

“He hit his head a while ago.” Mino said. 

 

It was Jinwoo’s turn to coddle the omega while they prepared dinner. Seunghoon was the only one who cooked well, Mino was passable. Jinwoo was never allowed to cook. 

 

“I know.” Seunghoon said, chopping up green onions. “I felt the bump.” 

 

The feeling of guilt never subsided even hours after. In his mind he could still see Seungyoon’s terrified stare, his pale fingers clutching at the blankets and the shudders of his thin body. 

 

“There might also be some bruising.” Mino only caught a glimpse of the purple marks on Seungyoon’s arm when the blanket came off him as Mino tried to calm him down. 

 

“I saw.” Seunghoon said quietly. 

 

Mino’s alpha was sad. 

 

Mino was sad. 

 

Jinwoo’s scent suddenly enveloped him, like tea roses and pine cones, he was comforting and warm. His arms were wrapped around Mino’s middle, hand gently rubbing his stomach. 

 

“Seungyoon is very kind. He is also funny and easy to talk to. He’ll come around, just give him some time.” Jinwoo said against his shoulder blade. Mino felt some of the weight in his chest lessen. 

 

“He’s asleep?” Seunghoon asked. 

 

“Yeah. I put him to bed. He needs to gain more weight. I carried him three flights of stairs like it was nothing.” Jinwoo selected their plates and started setting up the table. 

 

“Don’t brag, hyung. We already know you’re the strongest.” Mino smirked. 

 

“Oh, excuse me.” Seunghoon huffed. 

 

“No.” Jinwoo dimpled. “Pack alpha is the strongest. Otherwise I would’ve been the one to claim him.” 

 

Mino could literally see the sparks fly between the two oldest. “Listen, whatever you two are gonna do later, I want in.” 

 

Seunghoon laughed appreciatively. “Of course. The more the merrier.” 

 

Indeed. 

 

*

 

He was finally feeling better. Well, as good as it ever got with him anyway. He was still wrung out and was easily tired, but again, nothing new. 

 

Jinwoo and Seunghoon were home more often. And so was Mino. 

 

Seungyoon really tried not to make it obvious that he did his damndest to not be alone with the youngest alpha, sticking to Jinwoo or Seunghoon whenever Mino was around. 

 

Mino was cordial. Sometimes even greeting Seungyoon with a slight smile, when Seungyoon took the time to actually look up at him. He felt bad, he didn’t want to alienate Mino, but he couldn’t help how his omega reacted to him. 

 

It went on for a few days until Jinwoo, who was sitting behind Seungyoon while they watched a Netflix series, legs bracketing him, said, “Give him a chance, Yoonie. He’s really trying.” 

 

Seungyoon tensed. 

 

“Hey… I’m not saying you should be friends right away. But… I don’t know. Let him do things for you.” 

 

He was confused. “Sorry?” 

 

“Hold on to your horses okay.” Jinwoo turned him around. Seungyoon obliged and placed his legs over Jinwoo’s thigh so he sat sideways, waiting for his explanation. 

 

“It is an alpha’s instinct to protect, to provide and to claim.” Jinwoo his cheek. Seungyoon closed his eyes, loving the gentle touch. 

 

“Mino failed to protect you.” 

 

Seungyoon opened his mouth to protest. His reaction to Mino’s angry pheromones were more heightened than a regular omega. That was Seungyoon’s fault alone. 

 

“No. Don’t try to sugarcoat it.” Jinwoo said sternly. Seungyoon shut his mouth. “Jiho entrusted you to us and we were supposed to take care of you. The situation wasn’t ideal at first, but that changed when we met you. We’ve decided to give it a go because we want to keep you.” 

 

Jinwoo’s words caused a pinch in Seungyoon’s chest. It blossomed into warmth. An unfamiliar feeling but very… pleasant. 

 

“Mino has vowed to treat you with kindness as an alpha to his omega.” 

 

Vowed… 

 

Mino has vowed… 

 

“An alpha’s vow?” Seungyoon’s eyes widened. An alpha’s vow was an unbreakable bond. To do so would cause terrible pain to the alpha each time he breaks it. Or it will break the mating bond entirely. But they were not mated yet. 

 

Jinwoo nodded. 

 

Seungyoon considered that information gravely. If Mino had to go that far…

 

“He didn’t want you to know. It was more like a promise to himself to cherish you.” Jinwoo held his hand. “And you deserve to be cherished.” 

 

Seungyoon felt his face heat up, along with the warmth in his chest. 

 

“So let him provide for you. It doesn’t mean you have to accept his courting right away. Just give him a chance.” 

 

Maybe…

 

“Make him do things, okay? He won’t ever get mad at you, so take advantage of it.” Jinwoo grinned with a hint of evil. “Frankly, I’d love to see his alpha get bossed around.” 

 

“I mean, I also love to see his alpha . It’s very nice if I do say so myself—“ 

 

“Hyung!” 

 

*

 

He didn’t know what miracle Jinwoo did, but Seungyoon wasn’t as skittish as before. Sure he was still nervous around Mino, but at least he didn’t shuffle out of the room whenever the others would leave him in Mino’s presence. 

 

They were sitting in the living room, Seunghoon strategically left to refill his coffee mug while Jinwoo left earlier to tend to business. Seungyoon stayed in his spot, fidgeting with the ends of his sleeves. 

 

Mino was on the other side of the living room, occupying the other sofa. 

 

Confidence Mino. You can do this. 

 

“Seungyoon…” He kept his voice low and leashed his alpha fully. 

 

The omega glanced up and back down. 

 

“I would like to apologize. For… last time.” 

 

. Why were words so hard? 

 

“It’s okay.” Seungyoon said softly. 

 

“It’s not.” He replied, but softened when Seungyoon didn’t answer. “It’s not okay to treat anyone like that. It’s definitely not okay to treat my omega like that.” He took a deep breath. 

 

“And I am truly, very sorry.” 

 

Seungyoon nodded. 

 

“You don’t have to forgive me now.” He assured him. “But I’m hoping… we can be… friends— and maybe someday… something more.” 

 

It was a hint of a scent. Something so faint, Mino almost missed it. Something sweet. 

 

Strawberries. 

 

“O-okay.” 

 

Mino realized that he was smelling Seungyoon’s natural scent for the first time. 

 

He smiled.

 

*

 

Mino was startlingly friendly. A complete turnaround from the disgruntled and angry alpha that he encountered before. He was also funny, well spoken and gentle. 

 

He introduced outlandish ideas to Seungyoon in their conversations, shocking him a lot. But it was nice. 

 

They were friends. 

 

Seungyoon never had one before. 

 

Was that the feeling of being friends? Comfortable? 

 

He did as Jinwoo told him. He started to ask Mino for things. Minor things that Seungyoon was too exhausted to do himself. Like get a jacket when he’s cold. Or some hot tea. 

 

Mino would also leave him little gifts outside his door. Cute clay sculptures, candy, a flower. Seungyoon kept these gifts on the shelf in his room, looking at them from time to time.

 

Seunghoon and Jinwoo, not to be outdone, also started showering Seungyoon with gifts. Thoughtful ones. 

 

He could say that he was being spoiled rotten by three powerful alphas. Little by little, his anxieties eased. He began to feel less scared. 

 

He still had episodes, but thankfully nothing as bad as the first one, and his alphas were always there with him.

 

He opened the door of his bedroom and found the usual stash of treats there. This time there was a folded sweater with a card on top. 

 

Scribbled with fancy handwriting, 

 

I hope this will keep you warm.

 

Seungyoon took the sweater, fingers sinking into the soft material, and brought it to his nose. 

 

Coffee, cinnamon and mint…? 

 

He closed his eyes and smiled. 

 

Mino.