The Void Magician

Love and Magic

NOTE: I didn't proofread so I apologize for the mistakes or if anything didn't make sense lmao. ALSO I only did this for fun this will be the only chapter that I will wrote lmao I'm sorry.  It's why I didn't include the jinjoo tag.

 

In a world where magic exists, mana is everything. Casting magic spells are made possible by manipulating mana and applying nature to it. Those that are able to do it are called magicians.

 

The four main affinities are Air, the fastest and quickest affinity. Earth, the strongest affinity. Water, the most versatile affinity, and Fire, the most destructive affinity. Magicians learned to cast magic with these affinities but over the years it became difficult for the later generation and so some created inferior derivatives of the affinities that are easier to master: Sand, Ash, Mist, Lightning, and so much more.

 

For Minjoo, her case was different.

 

She stood on her spot with her fighting stance as 5 bandits surround her. Despite being outnumbered, Minjoo remained calm. She took a deep breath and when a bandit charged on her she immediately dodged it and landed a hard punch on his face, enough to knock the man out cold. The rest started to charge on her with their weapons and Minjoo threw punches specifically at their vital points. There are only two bandits left and Minjoo curses under her breath when a bandit successfully landed a strike on the girl. Minjoo ignored her bleeding arm and stepped forward to punch the bandit using the wounded arm. The bandit fell back on the last bandit and fell down.

 

Minjoo made sure to bind those bandits with a rope before lowering her guard. She folded her sleeves up and hovered a hand on top of her wound.

 

Her hand emitted a white light and the pain starts to fade slowly. The bleeding stopped and when she removed her hand the wound is gone.

 

“Y-you… you’re a void affinity user?” A bandit asked, his voice cracking from fear. It’s not like you get to see a void affinity user every day. Minjoo ignored him and waited for her father and the rest of her brothers to come.

 

Void affinity. Best way to describe this is intangible affinity. Nature isn’t necessarily applied when manipulating mana to cast magic. Usually it can’t be seen nor touched.

 

Minjoo can cast recovery spells to heal wounds. 

 

Void affinity users are feared for their powerful magic. Void users are rare and there are only a few known magicians who are capable of casting void magic.

 

Minjoo being one of them.

 

Her white raven landed on her shoulder and Minjoo assumed her father must be coming.  A few minutes later a middle aged man came with three boys behind him. Most of them were pretty injured badly from catching bandits and Minjoo ran towards the group and casted recovery magic on them one by one. Their wounds healed and they can move their body without feeling pain anymore.

 

“Your magic’s really handy, Minjoo-yah. It’s unfortunate that you’re stuck with using them to someone like us.” Minjoo’s dad said, stretching his limbs as soon as Minjoo finished healing him.

 

“What do you mean father? You guys aren’t just someone. You’re my family.” Minjoo said as she turned to one of her injured brothers.

 

“We’ll talk about this once we’re done.”  Minjoo noticed the seriousness in her father’s tone and anxiousness starts to fill up her system, causing her to weaken her magic. She shakes her head as if it could shake off her anxiousness and focused on healing her injured brother.

 

After they recovered, the village chief arrived with his men and took the bandits with them. He thanked her father for saving their small village once again and hands him a linen pouch with gold coins inside. Her father scratched his nape shyly and accepted the bag of coins. Minjoo and the rest of her family bowed down to the village chief and bid farewell.

 

They headed back to their home with Minjoo just walking behind his father. She watched her father’s back facing her solemnly thinking about his words earlier.  Her raven on her shoulder seemed to notice her distressed state and nudged its tiny head on Minjoo’s cheek. Minjoo’s lips curl into a faint smile at the adorable action and its tiny head with her finger.

“It’s okay, Weiss. I’m fine.” She said to her raven as if it understood her. Weiss appeared to have understood her when the raven cawed back at her.

 

They arrived at their small house located at the far end of the village, too small for a family with 7 members. Her mother, her father, her two older brothers, her two younger brothers, and of course, her.  They aren’t exactly related with each other by blood. All of them were adopted by the couple and raised them as if they were their own kids.

 

Her brothers were abandoned orphans and former thieves before the couple adopted them. Her father believed that these goons could change and one day become wonderful heroes of this kingdom.  Of course, they had to start small by helping their small village in all ways that they can. He trained the children to fight, including Minjoo all by himself.

 

Her father was a retired holy knight. Holy knights are individuals who are capable of casting magic and use them to protect the kingdom of Grimoire from possible dangers. Her father retired early and chose to serve their village that was already long forgotten to the kingdom.

 

Again, Minjoo’s case was different. Unlike her brothers who were adopted on the streets after getting caught stealing, Minjoo was an infant left on the couple’s doorstep on a gloomy night. She was placed in a basket with nothing but a shirt with the letters “Minjoo” embroidered in it.  Beside her was a white pendant with a gold infinity symbol in the middle.

 

Lucario, who just retired recently, looked around the area to find anyone who could’ve possibly dropped the infant on his doorstep but sees no one. Lucario took the baby from the basket and cradled its tiny body to his arms. Little Minjoo stirs awake from her deep slumber and Lucario, fearing that the baby would cry, stopped moving and held his breath to observe what little Minjoo will do next. Surprisingly, the baby remained quiet and her small lips curled into a smile.  

 

Lucario melted at the sight and decided to adopt this infant and raised her as his own.

 

Lucario and his wife didn’t expect Minjoo to grow up… so beautiful. Her beauty was like no other and is enough to rival any noble maiden in this kingdom or even the deities above. Literally almost all bachelors in the village(even men from other village who have heard of this beautiful maiden) had asked her hand for marriage but then her brothers would come in between them to scare those poor boys off  before she could even reject them,  not that she’s complaining though. She’s not and most likely never be interested in entering the world of married. She prefers to beat up some thugs and bandits and healing her injured brothers or anyone in need. 

 

Of course, some men would get scared of her cold and scary demeanor; it also made the others fall deeper for the maiden like who doesn’t love a strong woman?

 

Their mother welcomed them back and as a mother, she immediately asked if anyone got severely injured before asking how their day went. Minjoo reassured her mother that everything was fine and told her that there isn’t anything that she cannot heal—except for bringing back the dead though. She’s strong enough to take those bandits down on her own as she was trained under one of the known holy knights during his prime.

 

Minjoo is a healer. Therefore she needed to be stronger than the others to keep the team standing and also since she can’t cast attack spells to enemies. During her free time, Minjoo would train alone to increase her stamina and improve her fighting skills as well. Compared to her brothers, she was extremely skilled in close range combat.

 

Minjoo offered to help her mom prepare their food like the usual but Lucario insisted the boys should help her for now since it was always Minjoo who helps her. It earned groans and complains from her brothers of course but not after Lucario smacked their heads. 

 

Lucario told Minjoo to follow him outside and the pink haired girl quietly did. She was still facing her father’s back and was about to ask what she did this time when she realized her father wasn’t just staring at a blank space. Her eyes naturally followed to where her father is looking when it led her to the castle sitting at the top of the hill. Her father then turned to face her with his serious eyes boring right through her.

 

“Join the Holy Knights.”

 

Minjoo made a distressed sound and only looked at his foster father with a puzzled expression. Join the holy knights? The thought never came into Minjoo’s mind. She wanted to be hero like her father always wanted, together with her brothers. But she never imagined herself to be a holy knight. Minjoo, her dad, and her brothers were a team. Like they’re an item that should be bought together and never separate in a store.

 

It has always been that way. Her father and brothers in the front line and then Minjoo offering her support. And now her father asks her to leave the village and become a holy knight on her own.

 

“Minjoo, you always had a lot of potential. But I’m afraid using your powers only for this village is too small for you. You won’t grow if you stay here. So I’m asking you to go to the capital, become a holy knight and unleash your full potential there.”

 

Minjoo wiped the lone tear she never noticed rolling down on her cheek and spoke in between her sobs. “No, father… We’re a team! Me and my brothers are going to be heroes you will be proud of… Who’s going to heal you when you guys get injured?”

 

“Minjoo, we’ll be alright. You know that.” Lucario pauses momentarily before continuing.

 

“Become the hero I’ve always dreamed of.”

 

Minjoo didn’t say anything and ran to hug her foster father who took care of her since the day she was left in front of their doorstep. Lucario hugs her daughter back, a fatherly smile on his face.

 

Weiss looked at them with its tiny head hung low. The white raven was standing on the fence watching the father-daughter moment.

 

The next Holy Knights selection won’t come until spring so Minjoo still has time to prepare herself. While waiting for spring to come, she trained herself even more and accepted every job there is so she could use those rewards as her pocket money on her journey to the capital.

 

Minjoo never slacked off, before sleeping, she would also read some books and study. Their village doesn’t have a school but at least there’s a library in it—which is practically useless since most of the villagers cannot read nor write. Every week she would go to the library and borrow some books.  Her father taught her how to read and write, of course he taught her brothers as well but Minjoo was her best student. Her brothers can barely read a whole paragraph but they’re gradually improving.  

 

Minjoo heaves out a yawn in the middle of reading her history book. It was getting late and Minjoo folds the edge of the page she’s currently reading before setting it aside. She blows the candle off and drifts off to sleep.

 

 

A blue haired girl sat under the shade of the huge Belsir tree in the middle of a grass field. She leaned her back against the tree and closed her eyes, the gentle wind hitting her skin and lets her dashing blue hair cascade freely.

 

Her lips curl into small smile feeling another person’s presence getting nearer. Even without looking, the blue haired girl can recognize the person just by feeling her mana. It was overflowing and strong. But it wasn’t in any way harsh like the violent waves from the ocean. It was calming, so gentle, and soothing.

 

She feels the person sat beside her and that’s when she opened her eyes. When she turned her head, she came across facing a purple haired girl handing her a half of a newly picked Belsir fruit. It had always been her favorite because of its color, there’s just something that made her love the carnation pink color. The size of the fruit is almost as big as her fist.  

 

She takes the Belsir fruit from her and the purple haired girl flashes her a sweet smile. She took a bite from the fruit and is delighted at the sweet taste of its juices oozing out.

 

“Belsir tastes better when you share it to someone special.” The girl beside her spoke after swallowing a chunk of the belsir fruit.

 

“Don’t you think so, Yujin-ie?”

 

Yujin doesn’t reply and finished her share of the pink fruit. She wipes the remaining juices on her hand dry to her white robes. She takes the girls cheek with the same hand and leaned closer to press their lips together. Yujin could feel the girl smiling in their passionate kiss. She dropped the unfinished belsir fruit on the ground to wrap her hands around Yujin’s neck.

 

Yujin was happy.  After that, she felt a splash of cold water on her face.

 

Wait what?

 

Yujin slowly flutters her eyes open, the harsh rays of the sun directly hitting Yujin’s red orbs making her squint. She sat up from her position and across her was a woman with light brown bob cut hair dressed elegantly in a double-ed, long-sleeved mint jacket with a white high collar. Her jacket extends below her waist trimmed with white and wears a golden belt on top of it. She also wears a white colored pants paired with black leather boots. All her clothes were made from the finest linen and silk in the kingdom of Grimoire and her appearance screams nobility.

 

Not to mention the golden headpiece that rests atop of her head with a set of turquoise gems.

 

Or in other words, a crown.

 

“Your highness…”  Yujin mumbles softly. She was dressed as elegant as the young maiden in front of her. She wears a white tunic with sleeves that reaches only to her shoulders and a high stand up collar topped with blue silk vest with gold linings and a golden belt. She also wears a pair of blue pants and is paired with brown leather boots.

 

“I may be the queen of Grimiore but I’m still your best friend.” The queen says, splashing Yujin another stream of cold water that came out from her hand.

 

Queen Kim Chaewon X, who used to be the crown princess of Grimoire until she ascended to the throne when she was still 16 after the death of the late King Adonis XV. Despite taking over the throne at a young age, Chaewon proved to her citizens that she wasn’t an incompetent queen. Within her 3 years of reign, the kingdom of Grimiore is flourishing rapidly, crime rate began decreasing, and trade was also going well for them. It’s like Queen Chaewon has been doing this for years with how well she runs the kingdom.

 

“Right, Chaewon…” Yujin sneers at the queen. She didn’t say anything anymore and just tilts her head upwards to look at the Belsir tree she’s leaning against.

 

This old Belsir tree has been in their castle for hundreds of years now since Chaewon and Yujin’s ancestors. It’s most likely the oldest Belsir tree in the kingdom of Grimiore and people began calling it Grimiore’s guardian.

 

But it never once bore a fruit.

 

Their ancestors and relatives that lives in the castle even started to doubt if it was really a Belsir tree. Nevertheless, it was Yujin’s favorite place in the castle.

 

“I had a dream about her again.” Yujin says out of nowhere. She had stopped looking up at the Belsir tree before it could break her neck.

 

“You mean the purple haired girl? Are you sure it’s Wonyoung though?” Chaewon asks before sitting beside her bestfriend.

 

“Their manas are somewhat similar. It’s strong and overflowing. But Wonyoung’s mana…” There’s a pregnant pause before Yujin continues.  

 

“It wasn’t calm and gentle like the girl from my dreams. Wonyoung’s mana is violent, like an awful hurricane that destroys homes. It is indeed overflowing but it felt dangerous, like a dam built with flimsy walls threatening to collapse any time and flood the whole kingdom.” The blue haired girl sighs as she thinks of Wonyoung.

 

 

“Chaewon-unnie! Yujin-unnie!” A girl came running to them while holding a basket on her hand. She was wearing a fine tailored pink dress that reaches the ground paired with sandals. Her long purple hair tied neatly into a high ponytail.

 

The girl bowed down to the queen first and before settling down across the two girls and opened the basket she’s holding. Yujin eyes sparkled at the neatly wrapped sandwiches and some snacks inside. “I prepared some snacks so please do eat it during your breaks from training.”  

   

“Thank you, Wonyoung.” Chaewon said, flashing a gentle smile to the purple haired girl. A faint blush crept on Wonyoung’s cheeks before returning the smile to the queen, her older step-sister.

 

Yujin felt a pang on her chest watching the two girls interact. It’s no secret to her what the younger girl feels to her bestfriend. Not when Wonyoung blatantly looks at the queen with those lovestruck eyes, just like how she looks at Wonyoung.

 

The girl came from a royal family like her but in a different kingdom.

 

When King Adonis XV went to the forest, just near the Kingdom of Stronghold’s territory with his knights to hunt, they didn’t expect to see a young girl wandering around the forest aimlessly.

 

With the familiar crest on her pendant, the king immediately recognizes that this girl was no ordinary girl.

 

Wonyoung was the former princess of the now fallen kingdom of Stronghold. The kingdom fell into chaos and war which caused its ruin. All members from the imperial House of Jang died during the war except for the King’s youngest child, Jang Wonyoung I.

 

With no one to return to, King Adonis XV decided to adopt the former princess of Stronghold and raised her in the kingdom of Grimiore as their second princess.

 

When the King brought her to the palace, Yujin and Chaewon were having another battle in their garden. The battle ended with Chaewon winning, again. Not that it surprised him, Chaewon always had the advantage because she uses water affinity—an affinity that the imperial house of Kim is known for. Yujin belongs to the royal house of Ahn, the family known for using fire affinity.

 

Yujin and Chaewon are both best friends and rivals.

 

The kids finally noticed that they weren’t alone and the two girls greeted the king. However, someone caught the two girls’ attention. There was a little girl hiding behind the king.

 

Yujin tilts her head in confusion; she immediately widens her eyes when she caught a glimpse of the familiar purple strands of hair.

 

The face of the girl in her dreams was never clear to her, she could only remember her purple colored hair. But Yujin still knew this girl is the one. Her heart started to beat at an abnormal pace. The girl she was looking for was finally in front of her.

 

It was a love at first sight.

 

Yujin only sighed while taking a bite of the sandwich. Both girls seemed to have heard her sigh and Wonyoung asks her what’s wrong.

 

“What is it, Yujin-unnie, are you perhaps dissatisfied with my sandwich? Is it not to your liking?” Wonyoung asks with a frown.

 

“N-no… It’s not that, princess. Your sandwich is the best! I love it!” Yujin stuttered. She enthusiastically took a big bite of her sandwich as if trying to lift the princess mood up then gestured a thumbs up.

 

The princess lips slowly curved into a smile, making her pair of hazelnut eyes turn into crescent moons. She clasped her hands together. “That’s great!” Yujin smiles at her, when she looked away, she briefly met Chaewon’s eyes and noticed the girl was looking at her with guilt evident on her face.

 

Yujin felt a cold drop of something on her nose. When she looked up, snow had already started falling. It’s the beginning of winter.

 

“Your majesty, we must head inside the castle now before it gets colder!” The knight attending Chaewon yells, he was a few meters away from her. Beside him were his partner, Wonyoung’s personal maid, and Yujin’s personal guard. The three stood up and went towards their servants.

 

The knight immediately rushed to Chaewon’s side and puts on the vibrant red cape that reaches her ankles with white fur on it over Chaewon and pinned it on her shoulder. Her two cape pins with the royal crest on it, a shield with laurels on both sides. Inside the shield was a lion. Same goes with Wonyoung.

 

Yujin’s guard also did the same with her. Yujin’s cape was blue that only reaches to her knees. Instead of a pin, her cape had golden ribbons which the guard tied it herself for Yujin. Their family crest was on her cape. A mighty golden dragon with its wings stretched out.

 

They headed inside the castle with their servants following behind them. Wonyoung bid the two girls farewell after they parted ways since her chambers is in a different direction. Now Yujin is left with the queen and their guards.

 

“After this winter, the holy knights selection exam will take place. You’ll be participating right?” The queen asks. Yujin nods her head.

 

“I will become a magician that surpasses you, Chaewon.” Yujin addressed her casually. She stopped in her tracks and turned to face Chaewon. The queen can see the determination in her rival’s eyes and smiled.

 

“I will be waiting, do well.”