Meet Me Then

MEET ME THEN | WHEESA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another explosion sounded from outside and the ground shook, two figures tightly holding onto each other while another bursted through the door. Out the window, mother nature was mourning, wailing for the loss of her children that were set on fire by the ugliest things in the world; humans and their absurd machinery. 

"Ahn Hyejin, Jung Wheein, with me," a man shouted over the loud sound of the bombs, clothes covered in black dust and wounded arm bleeding all over the floor "We have to go, now!"

A woman emerged from under the table, an infant in her hands and another small child by her her feet, holding her long dress in her small fists. Holding back tears, the woman reached to bring all her children close to her along with the oldest of them all - the raven head holdings her friend's hand tightly by the window. 

"What do you mean?" the women's voice broke, she couldn't lose more people in the war. Her husband leaving was enough damage "They're girls, they can't just go to wa—"

The man held his hand up, stopping the upset mother and beckoning over the two oldest "Our men have fallen, we need any bodies we can find," he spoke strictly "Women from the ages of 18 to 35 are now obliged to help."

"You can't just take my daughter!" the woman screamed, shaking the crying baby in her arms when the ground shook "Hyejin-ah, don't go. You have to stay here, I can't take care of your three siblings all by myself."

The raven head shivered, hands sweating against her friend's, who kept quiet the whole time. Her eyes were fixated on the badge on the man's chest and her teeth worked to open wounds on her dry lips as she bit down on them, trying to build up courage. 

"Do it for your husband, ma'am," spoke the man, turning his head back to see his coworkers waiting on the car impatiently "These kids can help us save our side, we need them to fight back the North."

Hyejin took a step forward, dragging her blonde friend in front of the man and saluting. Her chest raised in pride and her eyes locked with his own, passion and love for the homeland almost pouring along with the tears of anticipation in the younger's eyes.

"We can do this, Wheein-ah," she spoke, not once turning to look back at her mother when they were put on the trunk of the large car along with the rest of the girls from the houses close by "We can save the country. We'll be heroes, end this war once and for all."

The blonde nodded from beside her, pulling out a photograph of her with her father when she was little. She laughed quietly and looked at the familiar faces of Byulyi and Yongsun that lived near their farm, seated just beside her on the trunk "Or we're going to meet our fathers," Wheein nudged Hyejin's shoulder playfully, fingers lacing "Whatever it is, I don't mind, as long as we're together."

But they weren't and they would never be, or that was what the sarge had screamed at them after throwing uniforms that didn't fit them by their feet and demanded they would wear them immediately, leaving all of their precious and not belongings on the large trunk of the car that had brought them all the way to the scout station. 

"Ahn Hyejin, Moon Byulyi, Park Narae, Kim Heeyoung, Jung Jaehyun, Ha Chungo, line 1."

Men shouted out names, put each and every new soldier in position, showed them how to shoot, the proper way to attack and avoid being attacked all in a matter of a couple of hours and just befote the sun was about to set, they were finally ready to attack. 

"Wheein-ah!" Hyejin called out to her friend many rows behind "Good luck! Let's be happy soon."

Her voice traveled with the slight breeze, pushing Wheein's bangs away from her face and bringing a smile on her lips. The woman held her hand up, waving.

"Be careful, yeah? I want to see you again." brushing off the weird glances from the people in the line beside her, the woman leaned over and smiled, trying to meet Hyejin's eyes.

"We'll meet again, that's for sure. I'll make it happen." Hyejin's heart beat quickly inside her chest, brain projecting all sorts of images from what was about to happen in her head. She shook it slightly, anything could be done if you have faith and try again and again. Hyejin could make anything happen. 

"Make what happen?" Wheein whined when a soldier passing by punched her arm to get her to stop talking, stumbling back a little.

"I'll change the world." Hyejin spoke loudly for everyone to hear "Just wait and see." 

The blonde laughed, heard lolling back and eyes closing. The woman always said that and promised to make the world a better place for them to live, where difference is accepted and people are free, happy and can make choices for themselves, be educated, live on their own, get jobs they can live off of - women too. 

"Meet me then," she replied, taking her position and looking straight ahead as she waited for the sergeant to begin the attack "When you've changed the world. I'll wait for you."

Hyejin bit her lip, trying to keep a smile from forming when the men in the cars screamed at them to start running, guns loading and feet pounding on the dry ground while they ran to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter