Chapter One

Adventurous Hearts

Joohyun sat in his truck sit stifling fits of giggles with her legs resting on the glovebox, and her hands nursing the concoction her beloved boyfriend made.

 

"This tastes terrible!" She laughed.

 

"Yes, but it's strong!" He retorted.

 

Apparently, Junmyeon thought it was a great idea to go on a mini roadtrip at the wee hours of the night. It'll be fun, he said. You'll love it, he said.

 

And well, he wasn't wrong.

 

They stopped at some vacant lot, with building ruins and some trees. Junmyeon led her outside and made her lie down on the makeshift bed he made on the back of his truck.

 

"This is fancy, Mr. Kim."

 

"Why thank you, Ms. Bae."

 

Joohyun giggled as she climbed the back of his truck and smiled as he followed. Junmyeon played  a song she liked, placing his little speaker in the corner. They gazed at the vast sky above them, her head on his chest and their hands intertwined. 

 

"Thank you, Myeon." She suddenly said.

 

He played with her hands and with her hair distractedly, staring at her serene form. Beautiful.

 

They stayed in comfortable silence for a while, neither of them wanting this to end. They found peace in each other, like halves of a whole, they felt complete.

 

"Didn't I tell you, you'd like it?" He chuckled.

 

"Oh yeah? And what made you do this?" She asked him, amused.

 

Junmyeon smiled and stared into the vast land beyond them, sipping the concoction he made prior to their trip. Joohyun, who was still amused, sat up to look at him.

 

"There are 7,655,957,369 people in the whole world."

 

Junmyeon turned to look at her amused expression and poked her cheek. She narrowed her eyes at him, still amused, and reiterated by pinching his leg.

 

"As of 2018." He followed.

 

"Okay, genius." Joohyun rolled her eyes.

 

"The probability of finding one's soulmate is only 1 in 10,000. So that's about 0.010%."

 

Joohyun leaned her chin on his shoulder and sighed. Junmyeon went closer to her face and looked her in the eye.

 

"And I have found you."

 

Joohyun giggled, her eyes into crescents and her cheeks red. 

 

"It’s like in that moment, the whole universe existed just to bring us together." Joohyun said.

 

"Serendipity. You're talking in quotes again."

 

“I guess when you’re young, you just believe there’ll be many people you would connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens a few times.” 

 

"Before Sunset."

 

"You know me so well."

 

They laughed, merry voices filling the air. The music fading into the atmosphere, like what one hears underwater.

 

"And if I said I wanted to spend my whole life with you?"

 

"Then say it."

 

Junmyeon stood up, tugging on her arm for her to follow. She dusted off her jeans and turned to finally face him.

 

"Would you want to spend the rest of our lives, with me?"

 

 "No more winter at all. Myeon, you brought me spring."

 

"All the Bright Places. I like how the ending was interpreted in the movie."

 

"I'd spend even eternity with you."

 

Junmyeon took her face in his hands and kissed her square on the lips. Tears b both their eyes, and happiness tugging at each other's lips.

 

“I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder.”

 

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Not bad, Myeon."

 

"I learned from the best, didn't I? And I promise, I promise, Joo. That I'd be a better man, for you."

 

Junmyeon took out the ring from his pocket and made Joohyun wear it. The sky changing colors from a dark blue to an orangey purple. As night becomes twilight, with pure bliss, as they drove home, hearts full.

 

And the moon above them, was there to witness it.