Together

Together

Choi Yena, Kim Chaewon and Honda Hitomi were best friends growing up. They always hung out during recess in elementary school. They were each other’s first picks when making teams for games during PE. They never won, but winning didn’t matter. They were fine losing as long as they were doing it together. They were always seen together whenever they were free. But one day, everything changed.

 

“Kim Chaewon, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

Hitomi watches in shocked silence as Yena pops the question to their best friend. Chaewon was just as shocked as her, but the answer was eventually “Yes, Yena, I’d love to.”

 

From that day, nothing was the same.

 

A few weeks later

 

Yena & Chaewon

 

[ducky]: hey Chae are you free?

 

[ssamu]: yes babe, why?

 

[ducky]: let’s go on a date later today, yeah? After school? My treat?

 

[ssamu]: ofc!!! I’d love to.

 

[ducky]: ok! I love you Chae

 

[ssamu]: i love you too my ducky

 

*************************************************************************************************************

Besties GC

 

[bbang]: are you guys free today? we haven’t hung out in a while, i miss you guys :(

 

[ducky]: i’m sorry hii, but chae and i have a date later :(

 

[ssamu]: maybe next time hii? we miss you too :(

 

[bbang]: ok enjoy your date you two lovebirds!


 


Hitomi & ????

 

[bbang]: are you free today? I’m feeling kinda lonely :(

 

[????]: ofc! boba after school?

 

[bbang]: ok :(

 

[????]: and let’s get rid of that sad face okay?

 

[bbang]: ok…


 


To say she felt bad was quite the understatement. Ever since the other two became girlfriends, she always felt less special to them. They tried to include her as best friends but she couldn’t shake the feeling that they just pitied her and that she wasn’t as special to the other two as they are to each other. They spent a lot more of their free time on their dates. And when they’re hanging out as besties, the two are all lovey-dovey with each other. Hitomi just wishes she could spend more time with them like they used to, without feeling left out.

 

One day, as she was left on her own, with nothing to do since the two were on another date, she found solace in talking to another person: one of her classmates, and another close friend outside of their little circle, Jo Yuri. And as time passed, she found the need to confide in Yuri a lot more often.

 

After school

 

Hitomi and Yuri made their way over to the boba shop, got their drinks and sat at the table furthest from the door, in hopes of a relatively private, uninterrupted conversation. Yuri starts off:

 

(a/n: Hitomi - normal, Yuri - italicized)

 

What’s on your mind?

 

“It’s kinda stupid, but I guess I’ve just been feeling extremely down about Yena and Chaewon lately. It’s like they became girlfriends and all of a sudden I’m left in the dust. It’s like they don’t have the time to spend with me anymore, and after years of being best friends I never really expected this to happen. It’s like there’s a big hole in my heart because it’s missing them.”

 

Don’t call it stupid Hii-chan, it only makes sense that you’d miss them, you’ve been best friends since forever! If anything I’d be a bit worried if you didn’t feel like this. Have you tried talking to them about it though?”

 

“I mean I’m sure they know, and I really don’t want to ruin their happiness. They look like they got something good going and if I were to be what was holding them back from being really happy with each other, I would never be able to forgive myself. Maybe it’s for the best if I separate myself from them.”

 

“If you think that’s what’s best, maybe you should tell them?”

 

Yuri gestured towards the door to the sight of the two girlfriends walking in.

 

“I’m not even nearly close to ready. Maybe if I slowly start to phase out of their lives, maybe they won’t notice?”

 

“Okay, now that was stupid. They might not pay as much to you, but they’ll certainly notice their best friend acting a lot less like their best friend.”

 

“Well, if anything it’ll have to do for now. I can’t tell them anything yet.”

 

And so, the two made their way out of the boba shop (while Yena and Chaewon were ordering so they wouldn’t get spotted) and made their way to Yuri’s house to play some Animal Crossing.


 


Upon departing for their date, the two felt something being off, but they couldn’t quite explain it. They had each other, that should’ve been enough, right? Why, then, does nothing feel right about them?

 

They arrived at the boba shop, got their drinks and sat down. Noticing her girlfriend with a bothered look on her face, Chaewon asked:

 

(a/n: Chaewon- normal, Yena - italicized)

 

“Yena, what’s wrong?”

 

“To be honest, I’m not sure how to explain it, but it kind of feels like we’re incomplete in a sense? I mean, yes, I have you, and I should be happy as is, but I feel like something’s missing? I mean nothing bad against you, but I feel like just us 2 isn’t enough.”

 

“You too? Honestly I felt bad because I didn’t want you to think that you weren’t enough for me. I know I need you here with me, but I can’t help but feel like we need something else.”

 

“I really do miss Hiichan… :(“

 

“I do too, I just hope she knows that we don’t mean to make her feel left out or anything… :(”

 

“I can feel her detaching from us, and I’m feeling a space in my heart that’s being vacated… What if she’s what we’re missing? We’ve been best friends for years, and now that we’re growing apart, it really feels like I’m losing her, and just as much as I need you Chae, I need her too.”

 

“So what you’re saying is add Hiichan to the equation, and not just as a random variable but a constant?”

 

Okay, no need to go all math-y on me, I can only take so much stuff that requires brain usage in a day.”

 

“You’re such an idiot… we were having such a serious conversation too…”

 

“haha sorry… But at least I can say I’m your idiot, and hopefully Hiichan’s idiot too?”

 

“Yeah let’s hope that Hiichan will accept us?”

 

“We should talk to her ASAP, before she can escape our grasp. I don’t want to imagine a life without her.”

 

“Where is she now, I wonder?”


 


Besties GC

 

[ssamu]: Hiichan~~~

 

[ducky]: where are you?

 

[ssamu]: we need to talk to you about something ^_^


 


Hitomi & Yuri

 

[bbang]: YURI HELP [screenshot of convo]

 

[yuriah carey]: WHAT????

oh

 

[bbang]: WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘oh’????? PLEASE I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO

 

[yuriah carey]: well hiichan, how much do you need them in your life?

 

[bbang]: probably as much as you need hyewon in yours. how’s that going btw?

 

[yuriah carey]: shut up… it’s a work in progress

 

[bbang]: it’s not like she doesn’t like you…

 

[yuriah carey]: STOP CHANGING THE TOPIC, BACK TO YOU

anyways, i know, feelings are hard, as clearly can be seen by both of us.

but you never know if they feel the same thing you do, so id say this is a chance

you should take.

 

[bbang]: well…..

i love them, i really do

ig im going for it then?

 

[yuriah carey]: YES, SHOOT YOUR SHOT HIICHAN

 

[bbang]: if i shoot mine you’re shooting yours too

 

[yuriah carey]: … fine … but good luck!!


 


Besties GC

 

[bbang]: at home

aren’t you 2 on a date tho?

 

[ducky]: actually that’s kinda what we want to talk about

 

[bbang]: oh… well, door’s unlocked whenever you get here

 

[ssamu]: 💛💚🧡


 


(a/n: Hitomi - normal, Yena - italicized, Chaewon - underlined

 

Yena and Chaewon found Hitomi sitting on the couch in the living room when they arrived. She looked nervous, to say the least. But she found their eyes and smiled at the pair and patted the couch on both sides of her, silently telling them to sit. Both sit on either side of her, both giving her side hugs in the process. Hitomi embraces the warm hugs as they sit in a comfortable silence, appreciating each other’s presence. After a while:

 

Hii-” “Guy-”

 

Both Chaewon and Hitomi started to talk. After the laughter at the situation died down, Hitomi let Chaewon speak.

 

Hiichan, Yena and I were talking, and while yes, we were on our date, we both couldn’t stop thinking about you. Ever since we started dating, it feels like you’ve grown apart from us, and we felt that part of us missing. Yeah, we’re dating, but just the two of us isn’t enough. We realized that we need you with us. We don’t know how you feel, but if you’re ok with it, we’d like you to accept our hearts.

 

Hitomi’s eyes widened in shock at the sudden confession, not entirely sure what to say. As she stared into the void that was whatever was in front of her, the other two girls looked at her questioningly. Eventually getting worried, Yena waves a hand in front of her, getting her back to their world.

 

“Sorry, I just don’t know what to say. If I’m honest, in these weeks of you two dating, I couldn’t help but feel left out. I know you two didn’t mean to. It kind of really hurt, not gonna lie, and it especially hurts me to say this but I thought that I should distance myself from you two, because I didn’t want to be what was in the way of you two being happy with each other.”

 

Hiichan, you could never!! If anything, you’re what we need to be completely happy! Chaewon suggested something to do with an equation… I can't say it as well as her, but you get what I mean?”

 

Hitomi looked at Yena in confusion, questioning whatever she just said. With a begrudging sigh, Chaewon rolls her eyes and explains:

 

What she means is that I said ‘we should keep you in the equation, but not as a random variable but as a constant’ because as much as we need each other, we need you too. Honestly Yena, you really are an idiot.”

 

“But I mean I’m your idiot already Chae, and can I be yours too Hiichan?”

 

“You guys really want me to be with you guys? Isn’t that a bit… weird?”

 

Of course it is, it’s certainly not normal. But if we love each other, we should be able to love the way we want to, shouldn’t we?

 

Even if it takes time, if we have each other, we will make it through anything we face.

 

So Honda Hitomi, will you be ours?

 

“You promise we’ll go through it together?”

 

Yes Hiichan.”

 

Together.

 

-fin-

a/n: Hi guys! I know, it's been a while, but this is a new concept i kinda wanted to try. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but i hope you enjoyed it! leave some feedback in the comments!