It's You

What is Love?

11:40pm

A woman with black hoodie and ripped jeans walks into the convenience store. When she stands in front of the fridge, she finds out her black converse’s shoelaces loosen up, so she bends down to tie it. When she stands up and adjusts her glasses, the cashier discovers her and say hi.

 

“Hey, Dami, you’re here again. But your favourite yogurt runs out today.”

“It s fine I can get others. Thanks, unnie.”

 

Dami grabs a tuna kimbap, a pack of dried sweet potato, a coke and a coffee. After paying, she sat at the table near the glass. She takes out a book from her hoodie pocket try to kill some time while eating sweet potatoes. After finishing some chapters, she checks the time. It’s almost time. Then she cleans up the table and walks out with a plastic bag. She hears.

 

“Oh, you’re leaving. Don’t you want a waffle?”

“I’m not hungry though.”

“Not you. Her. I bet she’s hungry this time.”

 

Dami kind of blushed after hears what the cashier says. The cashier knows Dami well too. She always sees Dami came around this time, seems like waiting for someone. Finally, she knows who she is waiting for when both come to convenience store. That girl likes waffle a lot.

Dami kind of flustered and thinks hard about the suggestion. At the same time, the cashier already gets a waffle and put it into the plastic bag Dami is holding.

 

“This one on me.”

“But…”

“As a fan, let me do something for my idol. I just want her to be happy.”

 

Dami looked at the cashier and say thank you before walks out the store. After walked for a while, she dialled a number that she had memorised.

 

“Unnie, why are you calling? I thought you’re shooting at this time.”

“Well, it’s rest time and I just want to check on you.”

“I just finish practising now ready to leave practice room. Before that, I need to go to the office take some papers.”

 

Dami keep talking on the phone and walks along the route that she had been so familiar. They used to walk along the street together. She always like to beg her to go to the convenience store. If Dami reminds her of diet, she pouts and accepts defeatedly. But eventually they went. Dami just want to because she’s cute at that time.

 

“How’s the shooting today?”

“It’s really fun. Luckily, no really big mistakes.”

“You’ve been practicing hard. What do you eat today?”

“The director and staffs are really nice. They ordered a lot like pizza, chicken,…..”

 

Dami can sense how happy she is. Dami then finds out she’s smiling throughout the whole conversion. Her footsteps are light. She nearly reached her destination.

 

“And also, we… Ahh!”

“What happened?”

 

Dami stopped and get nervous. Later, she speeds up the pace. Just one more corner.

 

“I forget my jacket.”

 

Dami then slows down the pace after hearing the reason. She sighed.

 

“Oh. Are you heading back?”

“Yeah. The office and practice room are quite near.”

“I think you hang with Yoohyeon too much.”

“I’m not as clumsy as Yoohyeon unnie.” Dami can imagine she pouts at other side of the phone

“I’m going to tell her when I get home”

“Home? I thought Yoohyeon unnie is shooting with you?”

“Ermmm. She’s now shooting so I’ll tell her later”

“Oh. Alright. Unnie, I need to hang up. The elevator is coming. See you at the dorm”

“Alright. See ya.”

 

Dami felt relief after hanging up, hoping nothing is being suspicious. She reached her destination. She waits in front of the door. The elevator comes down and there’s still a distance to the exit. Dami patiently waits.

Then she looked across the street. She recalls. How she gets in the company. The first day she met her when she moved in. The moment she quietly pulls her shirt to ask if she can teach her rap. The tears when she gets praised on monthly inspection. The first time she cried out loud on Dami shoulders because of haters comments. The first time she says that she’s always by her side. The growth of a little girl become a strong and delicate woman.

 

Dami just laughed at these recalls. She reminds of the phone call just now. How can a person affect her so much? But damn, she’s willing to fall deeper and deeper.

 

Dami picked up her phone again. She needs to release her feelings now. She calls again.

 

“Hello? Unnie why are you calling again?” The other side of the phone giggles.

“I just want to tell you something.”

“What?”

 

Dami hears the beeping sound of the glass door. Then she saw her stunned for a while then running towards her. Dami hangs up the phone and hugs the girl in front of her tightly, whisper softly

“Gahyeon ah”

“Hm?” The girl in her arms lifts her head.

“I love you.” Gahyeon smiles.

“I love you too.”

 

If I know what love is, it is because of you.

-- Herman Hesso