One

The Day I Met You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You were sitting alone on the grass in the park, studying before you have to get the bus and go to the university for her next lesson. You were minding your own business, when a cute average-sized dog came running to you and stepped on your textbook. Of course, you would never get mad on a sweetheart like the white dog in front of you even though she just ripped a page of your textbook, so you just smile and pet the little dogs head. You check for the dog’s gender and you see that it’s a girl. A very cute, white, pretty girl dog, coming to you like you’re her owner. The dog is wagging her pretty tail in response to your petting and as you study, the dog stays next to you.

Five minutes later, the dog is not leaving your side and you just stare at it, not knowing what to do with her. She’s wearing a baby pink collar, which means someone’s looking for her, but you don’t see anyone looking for their dog, hence the dog’s owner might not be here.

“Are you lost beautiful?” you ask the dog in front of you, and the dog starts wagging her tail again. So, you decide to get up first and go to the pet shop nearby and buy her a leash now. Now that she’s sitting there and doesn’t seem to want to leave you, is the time to make sure she stays here with you. At least, just until you find the dog’s owner. You buy her a baby pink leash, the exact same color as her collar. You didn’t want to buy a leash that wouldn’t match the collar, because if you’re buying it now, she might as well keep it.

After that, you return to the park where you met the dog. No one seems to be looking for the little ball of fluff and you can’t help but feel disappointed. Maybe the dog needs help from you to find her owner. So, you do the first thing that comes to your mind. You start checking the dog’s collar for any information on her owner.

“Xiaomi,” the collar says on it, and you guess that must be the dog’s name.

“You have a beautiful name, sweetie,” you tell the dog and the dog leans her head on your thigh as you’re sitting, visibly relaxing on you. Right under the dog’s name, you see a phone number, written in very small letters.

Bingo, you think to yourself and start typing the phone number so you can call the owner and tell them you found their dog. You press the call button, ignoring the shyness you feel every time you talk to strangers.

After two beeps, the owner of the phone –and hopefully the owner of the dog too– finally picks up.

“Hello?” he says anxiously. He is a man with an attractive voice that sounds like honey and even though you only heard only one word coming out of his mouth just now, you are sure you want to hear more.

“I believe I have your dog here,” you say in a hesitant and shy tone, just in case you called a wrong number, even though you’re sure you didn’t. You checked three times to make sure you would call the correct number.

“You have my Xiaomi?” he asks, and leaves a sigh of relief, knowing that the dog is now in safe hands. You notice that he is smiling from the way his voice sounds. A smile that effortlessly makes your smile find its place on your lips. You also feel very happy the dog in front of you found its owner. She must have felt lonely before she found you, you think. You pet the dog once again, and the dog wags her tail happily.

“Tell me where you are, and I’ll come to get her,” he –kind of– commands and you explain the exact place you’re sitting at with Xiaomi. While waiting for him, you took out your textbook again, trying to continue studying, more like revise what you already studied

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter