Secretary Kim (Chaemin AU)

love on the brain

A/N:

a bit of a secretary kim au + friends to lovers au (if you squint)

i apologise for any mistakes, i didn't have any time to edit it. hope u guys enjoy :))

 


 

Minju doesn’t think she’s hopeless at love.

 

It’s true that she hasn’t dated many people, but she wouldn’t call herself hopeless. Not completely. Though her friends (and at the same time, her work colleagues) would definitely say otherwise. Especially when all of them are all coupled up. To be honest, yes, sometimes Minju was jealous of them for that. But most of the time she was just tired of being the fifth wheel whenever they hung out. And considering they all work in the same company––that’s almost every day.

 

“Minju c’mon, just say yes!” Yena exclaimed, shocking everyone at the table, but especially her girlfriend Yuri who was leaning her head on her shoulder. “Sorry, babe,” she mutters quietly to Yuri. 

 

“But I don’t like him.” Minju cringes just thinking about the guy from the IT department who just  asked her out––through text, asking her to ‘chill’. Minju doesn’t even know how he got her number. Hell, she wouldn’t even know he existed if he hadn’t helped her with a virus in her office computer last week. “I don’t even know him!”

 

“To be fair, you don’t know anyone besides us in this company,” Hitomi quips.

 

“That is so not true,” Minju fires back, offended.

 

“Yes it is,” Nako interjects. “But I guess we can’t blame you... Our Minguri here is too busy being a slave to our CEO to start socializing.” 

 

Minju was slightly offended, though not on behalf of herself. “She’s not that bad...”

 

Yena scoffs, knowing exactly what Minju was going to say. “Minju please, you practically live in her office––and just because Chaeyeon is your friend, it does not make her any less of a dragon lady. Not to mention, she's not even that nice to you.” 

 

“You don’t know that. And she’s not a dragon lady.” Minju rolls her eyes. It was true that their CEO was a perfectionist, sometimes (okay, always) demanding, and a workaholic that pushes everyone to their limits. But that’s what makes her a good boss, Minju thinks.

 

Alright––maybe Minju was slightly biased because she personally knows their CEO. Lee Chaeyeon was Minjus’s childhood friend and was once Minju’s best friend all throughout school. Before working for Chaeyeon, they had met in the sandbox during kindergarten and were inseparable ever since.

 

That last part might be a bit misleading though.

 

They had separated during university; while Minju stayed in Korea, Chaeyeon left for the States and studied there for 6 years before coming back and inheriting her family’s company. During that time apart, they did drift... apart. Timezones are ing annoying. But they’d reconnected almost immediately after Chaeyeon touched down in Korea.

 

And now Minju works for her. Her friend who was scarily intimidating to her employees and works Minju to the bone.

 

“You know what, it doesn’t matter.” Yena sighs loudly. “Stop changing the subject! Just text him back, yes or no. It’s that simple, Minju.”

 

“Although... you should say yes, he’s one of the few decent looking guys in the company,” Yuri quips.

 

Minju wasn’t sure about that. “He only wants to date me because he thinks I’m pretty.”

 

Hitomi snorts involuntarily. “Confident, are we?”

 

“Ouch, Hii, seriously.” Minju exaggeratedly acts offended. “He said it in the text.”

 

“He isn’t wrong,” Yena points out. “Look, you haven’t been in a relationship in ages, and he works in the company, which means he’s one of the few people that would understand your crazy work schedule as Chaeyeon’s secretary. Do you know how rare that is?”

 

Minju gives a pointed look.

 

“Okay fine, we know he wants to get into your pants. Same difference. But you haven’t gone on a proper date in what... a year? You need to get laid too.”

 

++

 

Maybe Yena was right.

 

Minju’s love life wasn’t the most fulfilling––Okay, who was she kidding? Chaeyeon had basically ruined every date she’s ever been on for the past two years. Late nights in the office, coming to work on weekends, less and less work-leaves, and not to mention the emergency calls in the middle of the night. Everyone she dated ran the opposite direction when they found out Minju was practically a slave to her boss.

 

Maybe going on one date with someone who would understand her boss’ workaholic tendencies wouldn’t be so bad.

 

Maybe.

 

Buzz. Buzz.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound coming from the intercom. The same intercom connected to Chaeyeon’s office that was located just behind the double doors, right across from her desk.

 

Minju pressed a button and spoke to the intercom, “Yes?”

 

“Minju, order us dinner. We’re going to have to work late,” says (orders) Chaeyeon.

 

Minju stops herself from snorting aloud, thinking to herself how today wasn’t going to be any different than any other. “What would you like?”

 

“You choose.”

 

“Yes, CEO Lee.”

 

Minju has to admit, it was weird at first to talk to her friend so formally. They used to call each other the weirdest nicknames back when they were younger. But their dynamic has changed so much now.

 

It started a couple years ago. Minju was working for a different company that basically underpaid her. And her boss was such a creep, his eyes always leering when Minju wore a pencil skirt, and called her the most inappropriate names at work. And then one day her boss tried to come on to her, forcing Minju to slap him and kick him where the sun didn’t shine. He fired her right then and there. Minju wasn’t exactly upset over that fact.

 

The next day, during her weekly lunch with Chaeyeon, she was offered a job. To her luck, Chaeyeon said she had been looking for a secretary for awhile. And Minju, who had to financially support herself, took the job right away. At least she knew Chaeyeon wouldn’t have underpaid her or take advantage of their positions.

 

That had been almost three years ago. And back when she first started, Minju thought it would have been only temporary to work for her friend. But years have passed and she’s still Chaeyeon’s secretary. Minju still isn’t quite sure why she hasn’t quit, especially when the workload Chaeyeon gave her had taken over her social life––practically turned it into nonexistent, really.

 

Suddenly remembering what Yena said, Minju didn’t know what overcame her, but she had sent a short text to the guy from IT, accepting his invitation to ‘chill’.

 

++

 

An hour after the time when everyone else had gone home, Minju was sitting on the couch inside of Chaeyeon’s office, hunched over the stack of papers on the coffee table. She was focused on highlighting the meeting notes from earlier this morning, per Chaeyeon’s request. It was always quiet when they worked. A comfortable silence. That is, before someone broke it.

 

“Minju, could you check if CFO Kwon sent anything to my email?”

 

“Sure, CEO Lee.” Minju immediately did what was requested. She had quickly found the email from one Kwon Eunbi and opened the file on the iPad. She crosses the room to where Chaeyeon was behind her desk, doing her own work. “Here you go, CEO Lee.”

 

Chaeyeon looks up, and instead of taking the iPad from Minju, Chaeyeon looks into Minju’s eyes and says softly, “You haven’t touched your food.”

 

Minju’s eyes widened, quickly glancing back to her untouched bibimbap on the coffee table before looking back to her boss. “Oh... I––Uh... I wasn’t finished with the meeting notes.”

 

Chaeyeon pauses briefly before she takes the iPad from Minju’s outstretched hands. Then, “Forget about the notes. I don’t want you to get sick. Please, eat.”

 

It was in moments like these that Minju was reminded that Chaeyeon used to be her friend first, before she became her boss. Minju nods with a warm smile. Fighting the urge of her office habits, she replies, “Okay, Chaeyeon-ah.”

 

Chaeyeon seemed satisfied and sent her a brief smile before turning her attention to her work.

 

++

 

They’d finish their work not long after, approximately an hour later. In Minju’s book, this was considered a miracle in itself. She usually wasn’t able to go home until it was around 11 pm. The only bright side of that was that Chaeyeon paid her employees very generously for overtime.

 

But today they were done working by 9pm. Minju was amazed at her boss for not coming up with more things to do, and instead decided they should just go home. 

 

When they got to the lobby, Minju saw her usual bus was quickly leaving the bus stop and... she cursed.

 

Chaeyeon looked at her like she grew another head. It was understandable, Minju never cursed; not when she was younger, and definitely not in front of her boss. Chaeyeon quirks an eyebrow. “Something wrong?”

 

Minju thought to wave her off, but decided against it, realizing she probably needed to explain herself. “It’s... just my bus... I missed it.” Minju doesn’t mention the fact that she would have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one. Though she finds she didn’t need to.

 

“I’ll drive you home.” Chaeyeon states, rather than offers.

 

“You don’t have to––” Minju starts but is quickly cut off by Chaeyeon, “Don’t be ridiculous. I’m not going to let you wait alone at night.” Minju didn’t have time to reply before Chaeyeon was already walking to get her car keys from the valet.

 

The drive home started out quiet and Minju doesn’t know if she minded it or not. 

 

“Do you always wait for the bus this late?”

 

Minju looks to the driver seat. She shrugs. “Sometimes it’s even later.”

 

“What about the company car I gave you?”

 

“I sold it.” Minju answers honestly. She sold it because she needed to pay off her parent’s debts. And Chaeyeon did give her the car, so she had thought she could do anything with it.

 

She sees the way Chaeyeon’s hands tightened its grip on the steering wheel before it loosened again. After that, her boss didn’t speak again and Minju wondered if she had said something wrong.

 

All too soon, they arrived at Minju’s neighborhood. Some part of her was surprised that Chaeyeon still remembers the way without needing to ask. The other part...wasn't.

 

Suddenly, Chaeyeon got out of the car. Minju followed suit but was still very much confused. As if reading Minju’s silent question, Chaeyeon says simply, “I’ll walk you home.” Chaeyeon’s face told her that she’s not giving Minju a choice on that matter.

 

They continue walking to Minju's house, side by side. The same way that reminded Minju of walking home with Chaeyeon everyday from kindergarten up until they got into highschool, and how it stopped when their paths diverged during their college years. Somewhere deep within, a feeling bubbled to the surface reminding her of the times from their childhood. Her street at night always did scare her, and Minju likes to imagine Chaeyeon still remembers that fact.

 

Minju wanted to ask if Chaeyeon did. But one look at Chaeyeon’s face, smiling reassuringly at Minju, she knows that Chaeyeon does remember.

 

“Thanks for driving me home,” Minju says once they arrive in front of her house. “...and for walking me home too.” She was failing hard at faking nonchalance.

 

“Anytime,” Chaeyeon returns. Then a smirk spread on the corner of her lips. “Sounds like someone’s still a scaredy cat, huh?” she asks teasingly, wagging her eyebrows cutely.

 

“Shut up, Chaeyeon.” Minju could barely say it with a straight face, and she failed miserably at stopping the blush that rises to her cheeks. “Get home safe, okay?”

 

“I will.”

 

Everything felt as weird as it was familiar. But Minju couldn’t lie to herself and say that she doesn’t miss this––doesn’t miss the Chaeyeon that was her friend. Talking with Chaeyeon informally. Laughing with Chaeyeon. Just being with Chaeyeon. 

 

Ding

 

It was Minju’s phone and she glanced at it automatically out of habit. It was a text from the guy in IT, asking her if she was free tomorrow. Minju’s first instinct was to say no. Which wasn’t out of the ordinary. Because even though tomorrow was a Saturday, Chaeyeon wasn’t known to take the weekends off anyway. And so, Minju didn’t either.

 

But with Chaeyeon, her boss, still standing in front of her, Minju thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. “Chaeyeon?”

 

“Yes?”

 

Minju bites her lip, already regretting what she was about to ask. “Do you mind if I take the day off tomorrow?”

 

Clearly, Chaeyeon wasn’t expecting that. Her eyebrows scrunched together, confused. “Why?”

 

“...I have a date.” Minju mumbles quietly, still wondering to herself why she was even doing this. Why she had accepted. Why she brought it up to Chaeyeon. Then decided maybe this wasn’t the best idea. “It’s okay if I can’t. I really don’t mind, it’s just...” She trails off, not exactly knowing where she was going with this.

 

Something unfamiliar flashed in Chaeyeon’s eyes. Her expression had changed, but it left as soon as it came, leaving Minju only to wonder what it was. “It’s fine. Take the day off.”

 

“Okay,” Minju says warrily. “Thanks.”

 

“Goodnight, Minju,” was the last thing Chaeyeon said before she started walking back to her car, leaving Minju alone on her front porch. There was a certain kind of shift in the air that didn't sit well with Minju. But she didn’t have time to dwell on it.

 

Her front door opens to reveal her older sister.

 

“Was that Chaeyeon?” asks Hyewon, after opening the front door for her. “It’s been a long time since she came by,” she comments.

 

Truthfully, over the past years, Minju had gotten used to seeing Chaeyeon as her boss. Minju had almost forgotten about the fact that Chaeyeon used to come over to her childhood home that she still lives in now, used to play there, used to stay over. Now it seemed like such a distant memory from a different life.

 

Minju shrugs. “She’s been busy.” 

 

“Yeah, you would know.” Hyewon says dryly. “I remember you two used to be inseparable when you were younger. I had to drag you home every time you hung out at her house.”

 

“You’re exaggerating, unnie.” But Minju chuckles anyway, remembering how often her sister would get mad at her for coming home so late after hanging out with Chaeyeon. Those days seemed so much simpler for their friendship than this weird limbo of a friend and subordinate/boss dynamic they have going on.

 

“I’m surprised you’re still working for her.”

 

That got Minju’s attention. “Why’s that?” She asks curiously.

 

“I mean, I’m sure she doesn’t treat her employees badly.... but you were her closest friend. It just seems weird to hear you answer your phone with, ‘Yes, CEO Lee’, when you used to be so close at one point, don’t you think?” Hyewon asks.

 

“I suppose.”

 

++

 

Minju went on the date the next day. She wishes she could say that it had been pleasant. Minju wishes she could say that the date was worth losing her overtime pay, one that made her want to start dating again, and made her miss having a partner.

 

It wasn’t at all like that.

 

Minju didn’t ask for much. She didn’t need the guy to pay for her or open doors or....

 

But it would have been nice to be treated better than she was all afternoon.

 

For one, he had suggested they meet up at a really expensive restaurant, way over Minju’s usual budget when she wasn’t in the mood to splurge. But Minju thought to let that go for now, to give him the benefit of the doubt.

 

Then, all throughout lunch, he had been narcissitically talking about himself. How smart he was, how much of a gentleman he is, how rich he was, how Minju was lucky he was single at the moment. He even made a snide comment on how he was willing to ignore the way Minju wasn’t putting enough effort in how she dressed for their date. Minju wanted to punch his face at that point.

 

Minju didn’t think it could have gone worse. But it did.

 

When the cheque came, Minju had to stop herself from slamming the desk at how expensive the food was. She was ready to pay for half of it, the way she usually did on any date. But what annoyed her was that he hadn’t even asked to pay. He just assumed she would be paying and asked for the bill to be split.

 

What kind of self-anointed gentleman would do that?

 

Minju wanted to leave right that second. Her scowl must have ticked him off for him to ask if something was wrong. And the honest answer was, Yes, you’re what’s wrong. But she didn’t say that, obviously. If only for the fact that Minju hates confrontation more than anything else.

 

So she had paid, quickly said (lied) that she had errands to run, and ran.

 

++

 

On Monday, Minju had already suppressed the memory of that disaster of a date.

 

She knew her friends would ask her how the date went, come lunch time, but for now she just wants to ignore ever agreeing to it. Damn her friends for trying to convince her otherwise. Even if they were trying to be helpful. MInju reminds herself to not tell her friends the next time she is feeling lonely in case something like this ever happens again.

 

Evidently her plans to forget the date was thrown out the window when the same man showed up at her desk not an hour into her morning.

 

This was what Minju was worried about. A few minutes ago, her intercom had buzzed, and Chaeyeon asked her to call someone from the IT department after her computer was doing something weird. Minju did as she was asked but prayed silently for it to be anyone but her nightmare date to show up.

 

No one listened to her prayers, it had seemed.

 

“Hey Minju!” He had greeted her.

 

Minju only gave him a polite nod before leading him quickly to Chaeyeon’s office. “This way please.” Clearly he was offended, but Minju paid him no mind. She knocked twice before ushering him in her boss’ office. “CEO Lee, this is Park Jihoon from IT.”

 

He bowed to their boss respectfully.

 

Chaeyeon steps away from her desk to address him. “I don’t know what’s going on with it. The screen isn't working, and I didn’t want to do anything that could erase my files.”

 

“I’ll fix it right away, CEO Lee,” he replies and immediately gets to work.

 

Minju notices how different he was in front of their boss and how much of an he was during the date. Minju couldn’t help but roll her eyes. She was about to leave the room, but Chaeyeon had called her name. “Yes?”

 

Chaeyeon sat on her couch, today’s newspaper in her hands, but wasn’t paying attention to it. “How was your date?”

 

Minju almost choked on her own spit. “What?”

 

Chaeyeon quirks an eyebrow. “Didn’t you go on a date on Saturday?”

 

MInju hoped that the ground would swallow her whole, wondering What the hell was happening? All Minju wanted to say was how horrible it was. Maybe even gossip about it, if Chaeyeon was up for that (the way they used to in highschool). But the man she went on a date with was in the room with her and much as Minju wanted to chew him out, she wasn’t that cruel. 

 

“It was okay.... Y-yeah... Good,” Minju manages to stammer out a blatant lie.

 

Minju didn’t know what to expect from Chaeyeon. But a nod wasn’t it. “I’ll be having lunch in my office. I’ll arrange it myself.” Chaeyeon says, much to Minju’s surprise. Then, Chaeyeon proceeds to read her newspaper, giving no other indication for Minju to still be there.

 

So Minju had left, slightly confused.

 

++

 

As Minju predicted, her lunch with her friends was very… loud.

 

They had obviously asked about the date, and Minju answered them truthfully, that she’d rather get hit by lightning than to ever go on a date with him ever again.

 

Annoyingly, the girls only laughed at Minju’s experience. Yena had even made a snide comment about Minju would sooner get fired by Chaeyeon than go on a decent date with anyone. With her luck, Minju doesn’t think to disagree with that statement. Though it sounded more depressing by the second, considering everyone knows Chaeyeon likely would never fire Minju under any circumstance.

 

Minju sighs to herself as she walks back to her desk.

 

Right as she was about to take a seat, she noticed Chaeyeon’s office door was ajar. That was incredibly unusual. Chaeyeon hated having her door open. In fact, many people have been scolded for not closing the door behind them after entering or leaving Chaeyeon’s office.

 

Minju figures, as her secretary she has to investigate, right?

 

But before she could, a person had called out her name. Minju turned her head to the voice and spotted Chaewon, CFO Kwon Eunbi’s assistant, running towards her.

 

“Chaewon, what’s wrong?”

 

Chaewon was still panting when she handed Minju the folder she was holding. “Here... CFO Kwon said... it’s urgent that the CEO signs this and returns it to her… immediately.”

 

“Alright, wait here.” Minju makes her way quickly to Chaeyeon’s office. And with the door already ajar, Minju didn’t think she needed to knock. But when she opened the door, Minju was in no way prepared for what was on the other side.

 

Chaeyeon wasn’t alone.

 

There was another woman there who Minju instantly recognized from pictures she had seen a few years ago. It was Chaeyeon’s ex girlfriend, Sakura. Although from where Minju was standing, they didn’t look anything like exes right now, not with how Sakura’s body was wedged between the desk and Chaeyeon herself. Not to mention, they were kissing, passionately.

 

Minju stops dead in her tracks. 

 

She felt awkward about this situation, obviously. Sakura was a stranger to Minju; they had never met. She only knew her from pictures on instagram, from before Minju was even Chaeyeon’s secretary. While Minju knew they stayed friends, she didn’t think she’d ever have to meet Sakura. Especially not in this circumstance. 

 

Minju’s grip tightened around the folder she was holding, and was reminded why she was here in the first place. She does the one thing she could think of––Minju clears .

 

The two sprung apart, not that it mattered. It was kind of too late for that, Minju thinks, they were clearly caught in the act. Although, Chaeyeon at least had the decency to look guilty. Not that Minju cares. She doesn’t. Really.

 

Minju clears once again, this time to try finding her voice. “CEO Lee, there’s something you need to sign,” Minju starts, her eyes not making contact with either woman. “CFO Kwon says it’s urgent.”

 

Chaeyeon walks slowly towards Minju, and when they were face to face, Minju braces herself with a look of indifference. She won’t show Chaeyeon her... what? Disappointment? Minju couldn’t answer that herself.

 

When she handed the pen to Chaeyeon, their fingers brushed and Minju had never quite felt a burn like this. Minju doesn’t know if she was exaggerating but the air changed around them and it was quickly becoming suffocating. She couldn’t handle this anymore.

 

The moment Chaeyeon finished scribbling her signature, Minju didn’t wait any second longer before taking back the folder and turning towards the door. She leaves the room without once turning back.

 

++

 

Minju doesn’t know why but she feels weird the entire day. Maybe weird would be an understatement. The correct feeling was annoyance. Minju has never felt more easily irritated than the day she was having.

 

And alright—maybe Minju does know why. But she wasn’t exactly willing to admit that to herself just yet.

 

Her day didn’t go over so well after the… thing she just witnessed. She saw Sakura leaving Chaeyeon’s office looking absolutely unreadable. Minju would think that after an encounter like the one they had would put someone in a good mood, but Sakura looked just as miserable as Minju was feeling. But Minju didn’t want to think about that too much. She was far too upset.

 

So much so that she had answered every of Chaeyeon’s whim with a very curt reply. Luckily for Minju, she hadn’t had to physically see Chaeyeon for the rest of the day. The CEO stayed in her office and Minju had her own things she needed to attend to. It gave her a much needed break from thinking about her boss too much.

 

That is until much later in the day.

 

Unfortunately Chaeyeon had to attend just one last meeting for the day, and also the last schedule during official working hours. Minju, being her secretary, had to come along to take notes as usual. As it neared the meeting time, Minju schools her expression and settles her rapidly beating heart. She knocks on the door (maybe a little too aggressive than usual, but still polite enough) and walks into Chaeyeon's office.

 

“CEO Lee, you have a meeting with the marketing department in 10 minute.” Minju applauds herself for sounding almost completely indifferent.

 

Chaeyeon looks at Minju as if she had something to say, but remained silent. A brief second passed before the CEO found her stoic composure. She stands up and walks across the room, her eyes never braking Minju’s gaze. Any other time, Minju would have smiled at Chaeyeon, and the latter would no doubt return an equally warm smile. But that didn’t happen this time.

 

Minju quickly follows Chaeyeon as they walk to the meeting room, but she always stays a step behind. Even when they were confined in the elevator, Minju awkwardly makes herself small and presses herself into the corner to put as much distance between them.

 

It doesn’t get better during the meeting either.

 

Minju was busy taking notes of the meeting and on top of that, having to pay attention to Chaeyeon’s criticism that she’d interject here and there.

 

“Minju, check the numbers for me.”

 

Minju manages to subtly roll her eyes. She was feeling seriously annoyed that Chaeyeon was making her multitask like crazy. Even though usually this would be a normal occurrence, Minju was just not having it today. Of course, she still does what she’s asked anyway, and when she is done putting the numbers in, she practically shoves the iPad onto Chaeyeon’s hands.

 

Chaeyeon almost dropped the iPad. She takes her eyes off from Eunbi, who was speaking in front of the room, to look at her secretary curiously. “Something wrong?” She whispers.

 

To which Minju replies with a shake of her head, her eyes not meeting her boss. But her body betrayed her and tenses when Chaeyeon moved closer to her.

 

“Are you sure?” Chaeyeon asks again. This time, Chaeyeon’s lips were so close to Minju’s ear that she could feel her exhale at this proximity. “You can take a break if you want to, Minju. You’ve been acting really weird today…”

 

At that, Minju snaps. “And who’s fault is that?!”

 

When Minju realises her mistake of yelling at her boss in a room full of people, it was definitely way too late for her to fix it. If there even was a way to do that.

 

Chaeyeon was completely taken aback. Then again, so was everyone else in the room. No one in the room spoke, nor moved, they all waited for Chaeyeon’s reaction. Surprisingly, Chaeyeon’s expression didn’t betray what she was feeling, because it was void of emotion, looking completely indifferent. Though the tension and bite in her voice clearly said otherwise. “Everyone, out!” Chaeyeon dismisses everyone. “Now!” 

 

Everyone in the meeting room quickly left, all the while being silent, afraid to anger their boss even more.

 

When the room was empty, safe for the CEO and secretary, Chaeyeon stands up from her seat and faces away from Minju. This was how Chaeyeon calmed herself from saying something rash when she’s angry, and Minju knows this.

 

In all of Minju’s life, Chaeyeon has never shown anger towards her. Not any kind of anger that was real, at least. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Minju remembers how Chaeyeon would fake being mad at her, like when Minju took the last slice of pizza, or when she’d forget to wear a jacket and Chaeyeon had to give hers for Minju to wear. Minju half expects Chaeyeon to break out into a smile, not being able to hold her angry act. But she knew this wasn’t the time nor place.

 

Finally, Chaeyeon turns around to face Minju, some of her anger already subsided. Her voice lowered, as if Chaeyeon was passing a secret between them, “I know we’re friends, Minju. But we’re still in the office. Whatever problem you have with me—refrain from yelling at me in front of my employees.”

 

“I apologize,” Minju says with her eyes casted down, then adding, “CEO Lee.”

 

“Do you have a problem with me, Minju?”

 

“No.” Minju shakes her head vigorously.

 

Chaeyeon sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Go home, I’ll finish the rest of the day by myself.”

 

As usual, Minju’s first instinct was to object, but seeing the way Chaeyeon was looking at her—disappointed, Minju couldn’t bear to see it anymore. She bows apologetically before her boss and leaves.

 

++

 

“I think... I think I have to quit.”

 

Yena almost spat out her drink. “What??!!”.

 

By now, everyone in the company has probably heard what happened. Everyone did love to gossip. Of course, her friends didn’t always mind the rumors about each other, they figured people liked to exaggerate anyway.

 

But they’d definitely heard what happened between Chaeyeon and Minju, and they couldn’t possibly not ask directly from the source. Though Minju’s first words tonight were definitely not what the four were expecting.

 

“So it’s true?” Yuri’s eyes widened. “You really yelled at the CEO during a meeting?”

 

Minju could only nod slowly, still not believing it herself either.

 

“Did you slap her too?” Hitomi gasps.

 

“What—No! Of course not!” Her eyes widened, “Is someone spreading rumors that I slapped Chaeyeon?”

 

Yuri nodded grimly. “The company group chat has a betting pool going on.”

 

Minju hasn’t even bothered to check the chatroom since the first two months she was in it. The gossip there was way too rampant for her taste. She could only grunt to let out her frustration. Minju can’t believe some people would think that she was capable of physical violence, let alone it being directed at their boss. Then again, Chaeyeon wasn’t just Minju’s boss, but not everyone knows about that tiny little detail.

 

“Why’d you yell at her, Min?” Nako asks.

 

“I dont know.”

 

“Sure you don’t,” Yena says sardonically. “Why are you even quitting? You’re lucky you still have your job. If any other person did that…” Yena didn't have to finish what she was saying for everyone to know where she was going.

 

“Isn’t that the problem?” Minju asks. “If it was any other person, Chaeyeon wouldn’t have just let it go. But because it’s me… because I’m her...friend.”

 

“So? You’re saying you don't like the special treatment?” asks Hitomi.

 

It was hard to admit that Minju didn’t like that. Because she did. Minju was, and still is, Chaeyeon’s friend. And she wanted to be treated differently than other people by Chaeyeon—not as a special treatment, but as someone who was just... special. But Chaeyeon already had another special person in mind, Minju reminds herself. And it was not her.

 

Minju tries to change the subject quickly. “Shouldn’t you guys congratulate me for finally deciding to quit? For finally being rid of the dragon lady?”

 

Surprisingly, all four of her friends laughed. Yuri was the only one who could get her bearings to speak without bursting into more laughter. “Minju, we just say that because we think it’s cute how you always defend her.”

 

Minju gapes. “What?”

 

“We never thought you’d ever want to quit. It’s just amusing to see you try humanizing Chaeyeon all the time.” Then Yena starts in a mocking voice, vaguely copying how Minju speaks, “She’s not that bad… it’s what makes her a good boss, don’t you think? umm—actually, she’s the nicest person I know... and she’s actually really cute… without the scowl, she’s actually so pretty...

 

Minju blinks. “I don’t understand.”

 

There wasn’t a single person there (that wasn’t Minju) who didn’t roll their eyes. Nako, especially, was ready to knock some sense into her friend. “Why did you yell at Chaeyeon?”

 

“I don’t know!”

 

“I think you do, Minju,” Nako counters, “Didn’t it have something to do with a certain someone in Chaeyeon’s office…”

 

“What—how?” Minju could only think of one person who told them. “Chaewon saw that?”

 

Her friends didn’t have to answer.

 

Minju runs her finger through her hair in frustration. She sighs. “Fine! Maybe… maybe seeing Chaeyeon with her ex made me angry––But they were making out, it’s inappropriate–” Yena gave her a pointed look. “What?”

 

“Why can’t you just admit it?” Hitomi practically yells.

 

Before Minju could try to deny anything, Yuri bursts out, “OH MY GOD, MINJU! You love her!! You’re IN LOVE with her! That’s why you were upset to see Chaeyeon with her ex! And that’s why you kept working for her, despite her crazy schedules and demanding personality!”

 

++

 

Minju goes into work the next day with a heavy heart. She wrote her resignation letter last night as she contemplated her life, her job, and... Chaeyeon.

 

Chaeyeon.

 

Her life for the last three years was filled with Chaeyeon. Her job was even more so. And Minju finds herself thinking, were her friends right? There should be a reason for her to be in someone’s presence for so long, so often, and never complain about it. Sure, the pay doesn’t hurt, but even Minju couldn’t lie to herself and say that it wasn’t more than that.

 

Everyday with Chaeyeon wasn’t just bearable. It was enjoyable.

 

“You’re quitting?”

 

The voice of her boss shook Minju back into reality. She finally looks at Chaeyeon, the latter’s eyes looking confused and conflicted. Minju finds herself wondering why she was standing here in the first place. When she spoke, her voice just wasn’t quite her own, “I think I’m not suited to be your secretary anymore.”

 

“I feel like I’m missing something here.” Chaeyeon stands and walks around her desk to where Minju was standing. “Was it because of yesterday? You were out of line, I couldn’t just let you yell at me in front of everybody.”

 

“That’s not it.”

 

“Then tell me,” Chaeyeon says, taking a step closer so that there was very little space between them.

 

Minju holds back the urge to make some kind of physical contact. All she wanted to do was squeeze Chaeyeon’s hand, her cheek, brush away a stray hair falling into her friend’s face. “Our friendship and working relationship... they just don’t get along anymore.”

 

Bull. You’ve been my secretary for 3 years. We were doing just fine.”

 

 Minju thinks, I love her.

 

”Well it isn’t fine anymore!” She snaps. “Not when you kissed your ex in your office with the door ing open for me to see. It’s especially not fine if you’re getting back with her! I don't want to be here to see it. And If I was still your secretary, I would have to see it. And I don’t want that––I can't handle that.”

 

Chaeyeon was silent.

 

And then she smiles. “That’s why you’re quitting?”

 

“Yes. I told you, I––”

 

Chaeyeon steps forward to grab Minju’s face and plants the most searing kiss on her lips.

 

Minju feels like floating and drowning at the same time. Everything about the kiss was like wave after wave of realization, every attraction she’s ever denied, and every flutter in her stomach coming back in an almost painful fervor. Minju was swept in by how much she enjoyed the kiss, and the only thing she could do to anchor herself was by bringing Chaeyeon’s body closer.

 

When they broke away, Minju’s eyes fluttered open to see Chaeyeon’s dilated pupils and bruised lips. “What––why did you...?”

 

“You don’t have to worry about my ex,” Chaeyeon whispers onto Minju’s lips. “I’ve been in love with you since kindergarten, Min. All I ever wanted was to be near you.”

 

With that, everything finally made sense. The late nights, the business trips, the dinners, being Chaeyeon’s plus-one, the weekend getaways, and the list goes on.

 

“I wanted to be near you too,” Minju admits. “I think that’s why I stayed for so long. I got used to spending all my time with you, and I didn’t want that to change.” Minju doesn't know what else there is to say. She kisses Chaeyeon instead.

 

Their second kiss was shorter, but infinitely more sweeter. 

 

“Are you still quitting?”

 

“I’ll think about it,” says Minju with a sheepish curve of her lips.

 

Suddenly, her face fell after a realization struck. “I can’t believe you made me work on weekends instead of just asking me out.”

 

Chaeyeon tries to stammer out an apology, and she would have suceeded if Minju hadn't shut her up with a kiss.