the end

Me gustas tu

 

In the dead of night when everyone in the school was asleep, one person remained restless, and that one person, was Miyawaki Sakura. 

She was usually pretty good about going to bed on time, but tonight something wouldn't let her. A certain someone who was sharing a bed with her.

Kwon Eunbi was that someone. 

She was sleeping on her side while Sakura faced the ceiling trying not to breath too loudly and wake up the girl next to her. She was trying to hide the sound of her heartbeat but all her attempts just made her chest hurt. Her heart hurt when she was next to her unnie. It would beat so hard and so loud she was afraid it would beat right out of her chest and onto Eunbi's unsuspecting lap revealing her feelings for her. Her feelings. Her feelings for Eunbi.

What were those feelings though. It surely wasn't anything romantic. The last person Sakura thought of romantically was nothing like Eunbi, and aren't crushes supposed to be similar? He was handsome and kind. He had been too shy to hold Sakura’s hand in public for weeks after they’d started dating. He didn't believe in himself, but Sakura saw something in him that even he couldn't, and when he left her, she thought it would kill her, but a year and a half later they were back to being friends. 

Eunbi wasn't anything like that at all. Not that she wasn't kind or beautiful, but Eunbi was different. She was a loud mouth, always spouting some ridiculous joke or boasting about her beauty and brains. She listened to kids show soundtracks and songs she found on Tik Tok. 

Where his dark hair would have been hidden under a hat, her red locks flowed in the wind. On days when he would have worn all black to hide a body he was ashamed of, she wore bright pinks and baby blues and showed off her chest.

Most obviously he had been male. And just as obviously Sakura was straight.

Just like Eunbi unnie. she thought to herself.

Eunbi was obviously straight. She liked boys. She always talked about boys. She was into . That's it. Sakura knew that. But with all this information why did she still feel this way for a girl she had no chance with.

Maybe it was just her looks. There are lots of straight girls who admire the way other girls look. 

Maybe Sakura just really liked Eunbi’s makeup. She did like watching her get ready in the morning. When they would talk together about class and whatever annoying teacher they had while Eunbi played around with eyeshadow and lipstick Sakura would sometimes catch herself staring at Eunbi's lips and wanting nothing more than to press them against her own.

There was a day when they’d been getting ready together and Eunbi had offered to do Sakura's makeup for her. Sakura started fixating on the way Eunbi had held her chin up when she carefully drew her eyeliner. The gentle way she spoke to her as she curled her eye lashes and applied mascara. The way she'd absent mindedly pursed her own lips while putting lipstick on Sakura's. How she was so afraid that she was pressing too hard when she put on her eyeshadow. And oh god how beautiful she looked while doing it all.

But if she only liked Eunbi based solely on her looks how come every time she laughed Sakura felt her knees go weak and the urge to kiss her grow stronger.

Not that either of them would ever kiss a girl outside of party games. 

The thought of party games brought Sakura's mind back to a memory she would dwell on often. During the Halloween party, when they had been playing seven minutes in heaven, Eunbi had kissed Sakura in a dark closet, without explanation. 

In the moment, all Sakura could think about was how soft Eunbi’s lips were, and how both of their hands immediately went to the others hair to bring each other closer, and how Eunbi's lips tasted like cherry and how she was pressing her body against hers and how Sakura just wanted to kiss her forever and stay in that closet for as long as possible with the most beautiful girl she'd ever known, but eventually Eunbi pulled away and the seven minutes were over, leaving Sakura with so many questions bubbling up inside herself.

She didn't want to think of it anymore. She didn't want to think about how she might have feelings for this girl that she's known for years. She didn't want to think about what that said about her. She just wanted to shove those feelings away and continue on with her life, but that kind of thing is pretty hard when the prettiest girl in the world is sleeping right next to you.

Except Eunbi wasn't actually sleeping. 

She was awake and going through almost the same thing as Sakura, but with an added sense of fear. Although Sakura was afraid to accept her identity in fear of how others might react, Eunbi was afraid because she knew how they would react. 

Her mother wasn't exactly religious, but more personally disgusted by the idea of homouality. From a young age Eunbi was told that fags weren’t to be talked to, and that she was only to love men and men alone. And if she were to betray these ideals, she would be thrown out if the house without a second thought. Needless to say, Eunbi's mom wasn't a big fan of her promiscuity. 

Despite all this, Eunbi still couldn't help but long for a community of people like her. People of all shapes and sizes who loved anyone and everyone, regardless of gender. People who could be who they wanted to be, without the worry of their parents abandoning them for it.

The more she thought about it, the more anger she felt towards her mom. She'd seen the text posts on tumblr, about how she should be shamelessly proud of herself, as long as she was safe, and the more she dwells on those ideals the more she felt the need to tell someone.

Certainly that someone should be Sakura. 

Sakura, who she loved so much, she once burst into tears the moment she was in her room alone. Sakura, who she knew she could trust, even if it took her a while to make sure that was the truth. Sakura, who hadn’t said a single word about their shared kiss three months after it had happened. And Sakura, who she cared so much for, she bought a game that she wanted so badly. 

It took a little while, and a lot of rehearsing in her head, but eventually Eunbi was able to whisper Sakura's name loud enough for the younger one to look at her and blush.

“I'm biual.”

The two of their thoughts immediately started going a mile a minute, Sakura frantically trying to reframe everything in her mind, now knowing that Eunbi was in fact, not straight, and maybe she had a chance after all. 

However, Sakura was taking a little too long to respond, and the mixture of sleepiness and thoughtfulness on her face was horrifically hard to read, leaving Eunbi worried that’d she'd actually just come out to a devout catholic who would soon be whooping her and sending Satan after her.

"Sakura, just forge-" 

"Unnie, I think I'm in love with you.”

Eunbi immediately went straight to Sakura's lips, recreating a sensation she'd been dreaming of every night since October, while Sakura kissed back, absolutely ecstatic about these recent developments. She wasn't sure what her uality was, or when she would be coming out, but all she knew was that the most beautiful girl in the world had fallen for her, and that now they could finally be honest about their feelings for each other.

Twenty minutes later the two were lying in each others arms, Sakura slightly higher, staring into each others eyes thinking about how beautiful their girlfriend was, and how they just wanted to kiss her all night and never leave this position.

“You're beautiful, Eunbi.” Sakura whispered.

Eunbi could barely form anything other than a squeak and another kiss for Sakura, as Sakura giggled, kissed her back, and pointed out how she thought she would respond with something more along the lines of ‘Of course I am!' Then actually getting a little flustered.

“It just hits different when its you saying it, okay?” Eunbi replied, still peppering her girlfriends face and neck with little kisses.

Eventually through all the light kisses and happy laughter, the two fell asleep in each others arms, feeling nothing more than immense love for the other.