1st Month: Trying to be Civil (and Failing)

Hate Your Guts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of munching filled the apartment as Jisoo and Lisa ate from the cartons of deliveries. They were both watching the TV and as soon as a particular brunette appeared on the screen, both aimed for the remote. Of course, the one with longer limbs won so Jisoo couldn't escape having to deal with Jennie Kim's face all over again.

 

"I'm gonna ask you nicely... change the channels, Lisa."

 

"That's not asking. That's commanding." The other black haired girl though with full bangs stuck her tongue out. "And that wasn't said nicely at all."

 

"I'm sorry. My nice genes run straight to the gutter the minute I see that--" Jisoo pointed at the woman smiling for the cameras, "that !"

 

"Why do you hate her so much again?" Lisa feigned innocence as if the older woman haven't said enough. "Actually on second thoughts--"

 

"Did I tell you about the time Jennie..."

 

The minute their food got cold and Lisa had fully moved on to dessert, Jisoo retold and relived the stories of the great antagonist of her life a.k.a. Jennie Ruby Jane Kim. The past weeks were just simply them trying to be civil and going off in different frequencies for their attitude and treatment for each other. Though the process for their merged project is going so well, fortunately being able to agree without much trouble... the relationship of the two CEOs is just tragic. It got to the point where one of them walks out from the room only to come back with a better, a 2.0 version of their inner .

 

Jennie could be smiling and acting cute, Jisoo still thinks of it as a devil's move, but it won't ever win the older woman's trust. She had her doubts in the brunette despite being completely able and perfect in work. She shouldn't be having problems. Jennie Kim was actually as efficient and successful as she is thoroughly confident and effective in ruining Jisoo's day.

 

"You talk about her a lot. Are you sure you don't like her--"

 

"What the hell?! Lisa! I just told you!"

 

"I'm just saying! With the way you two go at it, the comment your friends would be givng you is the infamous... get it out of your system."

 

The last thing that Lisa saw before she got hit by the pillow in the face was the hint of blush on Jisoo's cheeks. It elicited a loud laugh from her before she was hit by another. It wasn't long until they were having pillow fights like they're back to old times.

 

"It's just a word of advice, Jisoonie!"

 

"That's not something a friend would encourage!!"

 

"Believe me! Jennie's friends might even be telling her that you two should just it off--"

 

"That's it! You're dead, Lalisa!!!"

 

 

 

 


***

 

 

 

 


"No. I do not think Kim Jisoo has the hots for you nor does it mean you can just have and magically get along afterwards."

 

Chaeyoung's statement without hesitations made the women in their table chuckle. They each drank from their glass of beverages cozily as the loud music were faint in the VIP section of the club. Jennie, who had her legs crossed and an arm over Chahee's shoulders, pursed her lips slightly.

 

"I think so too." The woman beside her paused for a laugh before continuing, "If she's hot because of you, then it's because you've been pissing each other since day one."

 

"Definitely not the other way." Joohyun added. "Sorry you can't get what you're fantasizing after this time around, Jennie."

 

"I'm not fantasizing about her! I'm just stating my observation." Jennie said with a scoff which was then followed by a laugh. "And asking for your opinions which are basically you guys assuming I actually like the enough to have with her."

 

"The ? You told me she looked like Aphrodite."

 

Jennie pointed at the youngest one. "Watch it, Rosie. You wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea."

 

"Oh right. Because you like men, men and men."

 

"That's rich. Coming from a girl who dated a man for three years straight."

 

"It is. At least it was a serious and stable relationship." Chaeyoung stuck her tongue out. "And how about you?"

 

"Serious and stable. Sure." Jennie drained her glass and put it down on the table. The sarcasm in her voice that mirrored the latter's very own and a hand raised in the air made Chahee and Joohyun laughing. "I want one like that."

 

"It was a stable relationship until he cheated on me!"

 

"Girl, what exactly are you bragging to me about?!"

 

As the two women bickered and teased each other, all in a casual and very Jennie and Chaeyoung way, Chahee refilled Jennie's drink but didn't give her a full glass. She knew the the brunette's alcohol tolerance was one of her weak spots and she didn't want to be taking care of an extra talkative and clingy Jennie Kim. She had a first hand experience with that before.

 

"Kim Jisoo is outrageously beautiful though. Are you sure you haven't fallen for her?" She asked with a teasing grin.

 

"No need to be jealous, sweetheart. You know I only love you."

 

"I do love it when you're loyal to me."

 

"You don't even have to ask. I've always been yours." Jennie puckered her lips, making Chahee laugh.

 

"If you two don't stop with flirting and acting like you haven't broken up since ages ago, I'm gonna bust your heads with the bottle of scotch." Joonyun interrupted them just before drinking from her own glass.

 

The comment from the oldest one among the four friends ensued a round of laughters and applause. The group was having a great time in a Friday night that Jennie's worries were washed away. Though her thoughts go to the other CEO sometimes, it wasn't like it's such a big deal to think of Kim Jisoo for random things. She wondered what the uptight, rigid and early bird woman do during her free time.

 

Jennie's sure they also have a different definition for fun and somehow she wonders if Jisoo will ever fit her kind of crowd.

 

 

 

 


***

 

 

 

 


"I don't get why we can't move the Jentle Market in the lower floors."

 

"It just can't be done. Doing that will cause much relocating and will lessen our time. Is there something unsatisfying in the 11th floor--"

 

"The highest place doesn't attract enough people." Jennie answered before Jisoo could even finish. "Instincts tell me we wouldn't get as much target customers."

 

"Ever wonder that maybe it's not the place but rather your own material?"

 

Words only being exchanged between the two CEOs, any abrupt silence was enough to hear a pin drop. Jennie wasn't backing down to her demand and Jisoo didn't look like she cared enough to give her the time of the day for whatever reason she had. Unlike the younger one, she doesn't rely on instincts and simply gut feelings. She'd rather have a systematized plan well discussed and will be followed despite any overdue claims their partner states.

 

"Leave us." Jennie spoke and it didn't take long for her side to obey. Jisoo's own employees eyeing her for a command which made the brunette stared at them. "All of you... leave."

 

Jisoo closed her eyes and nodded, hearing the sound of chairs being pulled back and people aiming for the door. When they were finally alone, Jennie made her way towards the other woman. One hand rested on the table and while her stance remained domineering, Jisoo was still calm as she met her gaze.

 

"Is it really that hard to compromise with you without hearing an insult from you?"

 

"So that was an insult?"

 

Jennie flared her nose and her lips pressed into a thin and unamused line. "I have no need to prove myself to you nor do you have any rights to wave off my creations and hard work when you don't fully know about it at all."

 

"We don't blindly make partnerships with different brands to market. It's not just by silly instinct like you dare to act with. We had enough research on you before we even offered a deal--"

 

"Yes. You came to us. You are just one of the options we have and you might as well know that that silly instinct made me choose you over other companies." She paused and leaned down. "I'm rarely disappointed when I let myself follow my instinct but you, Miss Kim Jisoo, and the rest of your team are the reason I might question it for the first time."

 

Jisoo's eyebrows almost meet as the brunette stared her down. Jennie looked outright pissed. She wasn't sure why the latter even decided to change things when it'll prolong the preparation time they've set. And as much as they're really the ones who should be careful with their treatment of Jentle Home... Jisoo was getting tired of the other CEO's demands.

 

It was the third week already and with all honesty, they're probably used with one of them being too fond of the dramatics. Yet when Jennie pulled away before Jisoo could say another word and the door slamming shut... guilt somehow crawled under the older woman's skin. She could simply ignore it because just like they've gotten used to, fresh air, time and space were all they needed to get back on the track later on.

 

Unfortunately, Jennie's upset face having a hint of hurt made her exit burn wild and strong in Jisoo's mind.

 

 

 

 


***

 

 

 

 


Jennie was typing and ranting away in her twitter account. Something about the words she used were too inapproriate for the official ones. She was angered with just the thought of one person that she was getting carried away. She didn't even realize how much time has passed nor did she care about the footsteps nearing her.

 

One deep breath and the scent of lavender that she had been oddly accustomed to infiltrated her nose. Without even a gaze, she spoke with indifference, "Did you come to apologize?"

 

"Exactly when do we genuinely do that to each other?"

 

"Right."

 

"Miss Kim." Jisoo started before sighing at Jennie's insistence not to give her attention. "I have no intentions of offending you."

 

"Yet you did."

 

"You also said no offense too when your statement was actually offending."

 

"But that's different!"

 

"How so?"

 

"Because it's not really my intention!" Jennie finally faced her as she bursted out, "I can't help it and even if I could, I don't plan to be less frank with my thoughts! That's just me being me, Kim Jisoo. And if you don't like that... at least be professional enough to not nitpick my own brand and hard work in front of so many people. When was the last time I commented about what you do so well in front of an audience?"

 

After that speech, Jisoo's face scrunched because she was sure the latter had been teasing her here and there for so many things. But she can't remember any criticism Jennie had given her recently. Even with those, the brunette sees to it they're alone before she even throw comments that annoy her.

 

"There must've been something..."

 

"But you just can't name it, huh? Wow."

 

"You... you offended me first and I--" Jisoo scrambled for words, "And I loathe you for that!"

 

"Oh my god! I said sorry for that! You're still not over it?"

 

"It wasn't sincere enough."

 

Jennie's mouth went agape. "How do you define sincere then? Me kneeling down to you and worshipping you?!"

 

"No, but it's definitely not you with your goddamn lips smirking and that look in your eyes!"

 

"I don't even remember smirking at you!" She paused and tilted her head slightly before asking, "Wait... what was that--"

 

"It's irritating! I still have the image of it every night when I sleep. It's a nightmare."

 

"Which one?" Jennie's furious tone changed and suddenly the wrath in her eyes was replaced by curiosity. "My lips or my eyes?"

 

The question quieted the tension in the air, putting forth another thing. Jennie crossed her arms and there was a hint of smile in her lips before she wet them. Jisoo loathes her very much. How could Jennie even ask her why she thinks of her?

 

She loathes Jennie so why would she even think of her or her eyes or her smirk... or her lips...

 

"Your smirk." The older woman replied through gritted teeth.

 

"So you think of me before you sleep?" Jennie pursed her lips. "Or is it when you're sleeping... dreaming of me--"

 

"Don't change the topic."

 

"I don't even remember what we were talking about. Do you?"

 

Jisoo was caught off guard when Jennie smiled differently. More than out of Jisoo's misery, it was more of amusement. She exhaled through her nose, her face flushed for some reason.

 

"If you're all feeling better then we ought to be back in the meeting room."

 

"We? So we're in that stage that we can actually coexist?"

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter