A Promise

Until When

Start of new school year, students were busy to know which class they belong to, whose friends are they classmates with, whose teachers are they going to avoid, and so on. But in a small town in Jangsu, there are two persons who aren’t bothered with these kinds of question. They are certain that as always, they will be together, and that’s the only thing that matters, at least for them.  

“Goodmorning Uncle, Auntie!” Jiyong waved at the two middle aged who were busy chatting at the living room. He dusted off his shoes on the doorway mat and immediately went to them, bowing his head so low, showing respect to the people he treated like his own parents.

“Auntie! As usual, you looked beau-”

“Beautiful as the morning sun.” The large voice of the man butted in, imitating the cheerful tone of their usual visitor. “Seriously, no need to show off to my wife. She’s mine already. You know what’s yours.” He continued joking while making a human barrier using his hand to protect his wife.

Jiyong looked at them dearly, wishing and promising he will also have a future like that. “It’s the truth. But I know someone who’s more beautiful.” He wiggled his brows, as he looked at the mirror image of the person he’s describing.

 “Yah, one more word. I will tell your father you’re showing off to all the girls in this house.” The man scolded jokingly. “But you trust me uncle.” Jiyong immediately replied with so much pride. The latter wasn’t able to retort back, instead he just released a sigh while smiling. With that reaction, Jiyong knew that he already won the argument. And for these people to trust him, he will be forever thankful, and he promised he will do everything to protect that trust.

“Excuse me.” He bowed to them before proceeding to the bottom of the stairs. “Dara, faster!” Jiyong shouted this time. Though impatient from the sluggishness of the girl, he always waits for her with his boyish grin. It has always been like this since they were young, it was her habit he was never pleased about but never bothers anyway. He will always wait.

“Sorry and thank you son. You’ve been tolerating her all these years.” Mrs. Park pats his head, her eyes showing how fond she is of him. When the couple saw the small little boy when he was just days old, she knows, she and her husband knows, that Jiyong is someone who could be trusted. At that time, how she wished the baby growing inside her is a baby girl. And indeed, they were blessed with Dara. Years have passed, the Parks saw how Jiyong has proven that he will be someone they could trust to protect their only child regardless of the circumstances.

“I’m here! Mom, dad, we’re going!” Dara bowed down to her parents as she came rushing towards Jiyong. He reached for her hand, then they started running, hoping they won’t be late on their first day of classes.

They reached the school’s gate, just in time to see their friends crowding together.

“Goodmorning!” Dara beamed excitedly. It would be there last year in highschool, and she intended to make the most out of it.

“What’s with your sullen look?” Jiyong asked Daesung while he wipes the sweats formed on Dara’s neck and forehead from all their running.

“I’m not classmates with anyone of you.” Their friend cried, throwing tantrums, glaring at the teachers roaming around the school’s premises.

“How about you and Dara, which class do you belong?” Youngbae asked but the people he was talking with were already too consumed with each other. They were already used to this. At some point, Jiyong and Dara will just be trapped in their own world, shutting their senses from their surroundings. Youngbae tried to grab the couple’s attention but still no response. Daesung, who’s still in he’s foul mood, intervened and instead kick Jiyong’s feet to get his attention, “Yah! What class are you on?”

“We haven’t seen it yet.” Dara replied simply.

“What if you’re not in the same class with Jiyong?” Chaerin joined in, trying to tease them. The couple just look at each other before chuckling at what their friend said.

“What’s funny?” The three asked, obviously clueless.

“We will always be in the same class.” Dara assured them, squeezing Jiyong’s arms, who was now playing with her still damped hair. True to her words, they were really in the same class. It was the same for the past years. They were like a package deal.

 

 

“Hi Seungri!” Dara greeted in her high pitched voice, slumping her body on the lad’s back. Being an only child, she was used to going to the Kwons to play with Jiyong and his siblings, Seungri and Minzy. When they were little, if it weren’t for her mother’s shouts every dusk, she will surely spend the night, squeezing herself between the bodies of the Kwon siblings.

“How’s school?” She asked as she steadied herself on sitting up while waiting for Jiyong who was taking a bath.

“Just the same noona. Nothing special.” Dara decided to stop disturbing his study time when a paper tucked between his books caught her attention. Her eyes instantly expressed a hint of adoration.

“I’m glad you always find time writing.” She patted his head, smiling. Seungri looked back at her, confused, and saw her staring at the table. Following her gaze, he saw the paper he just used to write another poem.

“You want to read it noona?” He grabbed the paper, giving it to Dara.

Dara spent her time reading the poems he has written. She finds it very amusing how this boy, not even in his teens could speak of what love is, like he has already experienced it.

On another note, she also wonders where Seungri got his talent for writing. She was sure his parents are not fond of writing while with Jiyong, they’re together almost all the time but she never saw him write either. “Seungri, where did you learn how to write?” Dara questioned out of the blue. The boy was in deep thought for a while, pondering if he should say it but decided not to. He just flashed her his playful smile, the way his hyung do whenever he’s hiding something.

“I hope Jiyong could write too.” She voiced her thoughts out loud, dreaming to read poems which will be intended for her. The boy beside him silently chuckled.

“Dara, let’s go?” Jiyong emerged from his room, his one hand trying to fix his wet hair. His other, reaching for hers, and entwining their fingers together.

“See you later hyung, noona!” Seungri shouted, grinning. They looked at him weirdly, curious what’s the sudden jolliness of the boy.

 

 

JIYONG’s POV

“Jiyong, why are you wandering here alone? Where’s Dara?” The fruit vendor asked when he saw Jiyong.

“We’ll be going together later. Mom just asked me to buy something.”

After I dropped by the market, I stopped on my tracks, and stared at how everyone was all busy decorating the town’s plaza. It’s that time of the year. Later, the streets would be filled with so much festivity -- people chattering, dancing and singing, laughters, loud music, colorful costumes.

When darkness started coloring the sky, I decided it will be better to go earlier than the others. In this way, I could spend more time with her.

“Mom, dad, I’ll get going first. See you later.”

Though my family will be going as well, I just can’t wait. Every year, we are present at our town’s festival but this would be the first time, Dara and I will celebrate it as a couple. I’ve been holding her hands since we were kids because that’s how our parents told us to do so we wouldn’t lose each other. I’ve been looking out for her since we were kids because I felt the responsibility towards her. I felt the need to protect her at all times. Since the beginning, I was used on having her around so now that we’ve realized our feelings, I wonder if tonight will be different.

“Jiyong!” I was still in thoughts, I didn’t realize I’m almost at the Park’s residence with Dara waiting on their gate excitedly.

That’s a first, for the previous years, Dara and I always arrived at the plaza later than our families because apparently, she is always too lazy to go. It will took me lots of nagging in order to convince her.

“Jiyong, what did you do to our daughter? It’s the first time, she’s enthusiastic going.” Her dad asked, laughing at Dara who was bouncing up and down.

“Uncle, it’s our first time celebrating it as a couple.” I answered him though I’m not sure if that’s really the reason behind her actions.

“That must be it, huh. See you later. Take care of her for me.” He smiled, waving.

“I always will.”

When the music started getting louder and the crowd started becoming bigger, Dara wasn’t able to hide her excitement as she started dragging me onto walking faster. “Calm down, you might get hurt. We’ll be there soon.” She just grinned at me, slowing down her pace again.

 

 

 

Everyone, not only from their school but the whole town, knew about them. They were the couple whom everyone treasures so dearly. Jiyong and Dara made them believe that fairy tale really does exist. They are the epitome of innocent and pure love. Everyone was rooting from them. They were like the royal couple of the town despite their young age.

Greetings were exchanged between the young couple and the town’s people as they arrived on the streets where the celebration is happening. Jiyong observed the girl beside him who was smiling and bobbing her head along with the music. She started swirling around their entwined hands, imitating those who were dancing with their fancy costumes. He promised himself he will do everything just to see her always this happy.

Both were enjoying the night’s celebration when Dara’s hand slipped from Jiyong’s hold. Panic immediately consumed him as the crowd around him multiplied, making it harder to spot her. He was losing his mind, shouting her name repeatedly, hoping she could hear him amidst the mixture of loud music and voices. He started shoving people out of his way, worry keeps on building inside him. When he finally saw her, he felt like he can breathe again. He wasted no time and quickly trapped her in his arms, afraid that he might lose her again.

Before, he was questioning himself if tonight would feel different, now he has answer. Losing her for a brief moment gives him a fearful unfamiliarity. It makes him go insane. He wonders what would be his reaction if it happened before they became a couple, but the same answer was flashing on his mind. It will still have the same effect to him, he will still go insane. Maybe, it has been different for a long time already. It was just tonight that he noticed it. Why would he stay with her before, convincing her to go when he can clearly leave her and have fun with others? He always thought not having her beside him is wrong. But at the same time, he always told himself that it’s because they were bestfriends, almost siblings. What he didn’t realized, all those times he was already falling for her.

 

 

The bell alarmed, signaling the end of classes. Students automatically went out of their respective rooms with hurried feet, thankful that the day’s torture is over. They could finally play outside or sleep at their home’s comfort. However, for a set of friends, hearing that bell makes them excited for another reason. For Jiyong, Dara, Youngbae, Chaerin, and Daesung, it’s time to do the thing they all loved, music.

Being the town and school’s representative to different competitions, they were given the benefit to use the music room, and school auditorium for practices.

After one of their sessions, Jiyong convinced Dara to stay, insisting they should practice more. Dara could have left early with the others but not having Jiyong by her side while walking home would feel strange, she knew something would be missing not being with him.

The practice was just Jiyong’s alibi but he really has another reason. He guided Dara towards one of the front seats, assuring her with his smile that everything would just be fine. Though nervous, he settled himself on the stage with his guitar positioned perfectly on his hands. He took a deep breath while staring at the girl he loves so much. She was looking curiously at him, having no knowledge on what’s happening. Then, he started strumming the strings, creating a melody that engulfed the whole auditorium. Soon, his voice blended in. He was singing his song for her. For Jiyong, Dara and him is a song. He was the melody, and she was the one who continuously writes its lyrics. If it wasn’t for her, his life would be empty.

 

 

“Dae, are you sure they will come?” Chaerin asked the man busily cleaning his guitar. It was another day of their practice, but unlike before, the couple who’s always the first ones to arrive were not yet present. “I’m sure, they will. They never missed a single day.” Daesung guaranteed her.

Chaerin suddenly sighed as she stopped playing her violin. “I guess, they won’t really come.”  It was already an hour passed their practice time but Jiyong and Dara were still nowhere to be found.

“I don’t think this will work out. We need them.” Youngbae added, his frustration on getting the appropriate tone continuously piling up. Chaerin and Daesung nodded, knowing what he just said was right. They felt weird, everyday Jiyong and Dara would be the ones leading them, giving their ideas and comments to each one’s works. They were not called musical geniuses for nothing.

Unsatisfied on how they were doing by themselves, they decided to stop and just idly lounge around the floor. “I always wonder how those two could be so perfect.” Chaerin uttered her thoughts. Similarly, that was also the same thing running on Daesung and Youngbae’s minds. Jiyong and Dara are their role models, not only as lovers but also as individuals. They emit nothing but positiveness to the people around them. They were the reason why their friends look forward on what love could bring to their lives too.

While Daesung, Chaerin, and Youngbae were lost in their own thoughts, the couple, who was the subject of their talk, was enjoying their time on their secret hideaway. After class, instead of going straight to practice, they decided to break their rule for the first time. They both agreed to skip the practice, and just spend time together. It would not hurt to skip one, they were sure their three friends would be doing fine.

They lay down on the grass, staring at the blue sky. It became their habit. Looking at the sky gives them calmness. Jiyong glanced at Dara, his smile can’t help but appears, being mesmerized with the sight. She was breathtakingly beautiful. She was like those flowers he admires. The only difference, Dara will never wither. She will always be on her full bloom.

He placed his arm under her head, gathering her closer to him. Dara snuggled at him, inhaling his scent. She reached for his other hand, entwining it with hers. She looked at him, and saw him with eyes closed. “Everything is perfect.” She thought to herself. She was imagining what their future holds. She was hoping that when they have their own family, it would still be like this. Perfect.

Shortly, she fell asleep.

Feeling the steady breathing of the girl in his arms, Jiyong opened his eyes. Moments ago, he can feel her stares at him, he wonders what Dara was thinking. He stared at her before dipping down, capturing her lips softly. He chuckled, realizing what he just did. He just stole the first kiss of his lover, and it’s not what he envisioned it to be like.  When he read poems and stories describing what a kiss feels like, he has always doubt it. How lips being together could will give such feeling. But know he have answer. And yes, he has more doubts. What the books described can’t be compare on what he’s feeling. Her sweetness still lingering on his mouth. Her lips, it’s so soft, he felt like it’s so vulnerable. His heartbeat, he felt like he was having a serious heart problem from all the pounding and somersaults it’s creating. The time surely stops. Words could never fully explain what he just felt. But one thing he regret is that he did not share that magical moment with her. He wonders if she had felt it. He wonders if she was awake, will she feel the same thing as his. He promised, next time, next time, he would let her experience it. He knew with that single kiss, it will be his drug, his addiction.

 

 

JIYONG’s POV

“Good evening uncle, auntie!” I greeted Dara’s parents as soon as I entered their home.

“Did you eat already?”

“Yes aunt.”

I walked towards Dara, deciding to help with the dishes so we could go out already. I just hope her parents will allow us. But I know they will, no doubt at that. They would not trust their daughter to anyone other than the Kwons.

“Uncle, can Dara and I go out for a while?”

“It’s dark already. What will you be doing?”

“I wanted to watch fireflies with her.” I peeked at Dara, her face clearly excited with what I just said. I hold her shoulders, turning both our bodies to face her parents. “Mr. and Mrs. Park, please allow us. I will protect your daughter with my whole life. I promise to bring her back safely.” I declared, Dara giggling on my little scene.

“What’s with the Mr. and Mrs. Park?” Her father raised his brows on me, not amused with my impromptu speech.

“You’re like asking her hands for marriage.” Her mother commented, laughing.

“Please my favorite uncle and aunt.” I pleaded again, battling my eyelashes, earning another laugh from her parents.

“Fine. Just take care both of you.”

After cleaning all the dishes, Dara grabbed a cardigan and we were off to go. She held our hands together, swaying it as we walk to our destination. When we arrived, I settled the little blanket for us to sit on.

“Where should we look to see the fireflies?”

“There’s none.” I confessed. I can’t think of anything a while ago, I just randomly blurted out fireflies. But it was true I wanted to be with her so I really didn’t lie to her parents.

“Why are we out here then?” Dara asked, closing her eyes, enjoying the cold breeze brought by the night.

“I just want to be with you.” That made her look at me, then she started giggling. Her mere presence beside me, I could live with just this.

I shifted my position, trapping her little body in between my legs, snaking my arms around her waist, her back leaning on my chest. Feeling her close to me, it was pure bliss. I closed my eyes, and started humming my song for her, savoring each moment. We should do this more often.

 

 

DARA’s POV

After breakfast, I immediately fix myself and run outside. I can’t wait! Jiyong would be happy hearing my news. Who said, we would allow being separated? No one.

When I arrived at the Kwon’s, their house was still close. That’s weird. Usually, his parents would already be outside, cleaning, welcoming me with their warm smiles; while Minzy would be embracing me with her tiny arms along with her giggles.

“Dara!”

“Hi Mrs. Kim!” I greeted the old lady living across the Kwon’s.

“They haven’t returned yet?”

“Where are they?”

“They left early this morning to the market. They told me they will be back immediately.”

I decided to sit on one of the steps towards the main door. If they have left early, I’m sure they will be here anytime soon.

“If you want, you can go home. I’ll just inform Jiyong that you went here.” She offered but I gladly reject. What I needed to say can’t wait. I stared at the envelope I was holding, smiling, and imagining Jiyong’s reaction. He will probably hug me tight to the point where I can’t already breathe, spinning our bodies around till we get dizzy.

It was already past lunch but I haven’t seen any signs of them yet. They must be enjoying themselves, and decided to stay longer. That’s fine, I will just wait.

 

“It would be great having a family with you.” Jiyong whispered while hugging me from behind.

“You will be having a family with me, that’s final.” I turned around, facing him.

“That possessive?” He chuckled. Well, I can’t really envision my life without him. Whenever I look at my future, Jiyong was always there. He should be there. I nodded my head, grinning at him.

“I hope we will last forever.”

“We will.” I replied with so much conviction.

“Dara, remember. I love you always. No matter what happens, just remember all our memories, our happy times. When you feel like you can’t breathe and wanted to give up, I’ll always be here.” He continued, pointing at my chest where my heart is located. ”I will give you all the strength you needed and I will always look after you. Be happy.” Hearing those gives me the assurance that he will never leave me. It was weird since he’s not really the person who gives me the sweet talks, but nevertheless I like it. 

“I love you too. Are you starting to learn from Seungri?” I , remembering his brother’s skills on words.

“If only you knew.” I heard him whispered. I looked at him curiously but he just grinned at me.

“I love you Sandara. I will always find my way to you.” He started closing the gap between our faces. His hands travelled from my waist to my cheeks, caressing it. As if on trance, I closed my eyes, anticipating what will our first kiss feel like. When I felt his lips against mine, everything just went black, it was only me and Jiyong. All I felt is a tingling sensation travelling throughout my body, and the loud pounding of my heart like it wanted to burst out from different emotions whirling around it – the foreign feeling, excitement, happiness, there’s just too much going on but I love it. I can crave for this every single time.  Our first kiss, it felt wonderful.

 

It all felt real but suddenly it disappeared, then I realized it was just a dream. I shouldn’t have wake up sooner. I wonder when will be our first kiss. Will it feel the same way from my dream?

It started getting dark but they still haven’t come back. What if they visited my parents, should I go home now? But for sure, Jiyong will go here since my parents will tell him my whereabouts.

God must be listening to the battle I’m having within myself when I saw Seungri entering the gate. I immediately ran past him, and search for Jiyong. But he was not there, nor his parents and Minzy.

“Where are the others?” I asked, swinging my arm on his shoulders.

He was not responding, his head still bowed down, then I felt his trembling body. What happened? I lifted his face, and what welcomed me is his dreadful look, his eyes full of tears. Does something bad happened? No, it can’t be. I shouldn’t have such thoughts. I tried to calm him down, pulling him into a hug, whispering him that everything would be okay. Fear was already eating me, not having any idea on what’s happening but I cannot show it to him. I should stay strong and comfort him.

“What happened?” I asked, but deep inside I’m not yet brave enough to hear his response.

“Noona…..Please…..Please….help him.” He bawled, clutching my shirt. He was pleading me. What happened? Who should I help?

“Please help hyung. Let him live noona, please. I’m begging you.”

Just like that, his answer shot me dead.

No.

It can’t be.

Pain started clutching my chest, making it hard for me to breathe.

Why, why is he begging me to make his hyung live?

His hyung is my Jiyong. I can’t lose him.

“Seungri, gather yourself and tell me what’s going on!” I shouted, not accepting the truth being thrown at me. In my dream, we just had our first kiss. It felt so real, I’m sure he will be here soon.

“Noona, I’m sorry.” Seungri muffled but I chuckled at his reply. I know he’s not telling the truth. Kids these days, they really love pranks. They even went overboard sometimes, way overboard it’s not funny anymore, just like what Seungri is doing.

“Go inside and have some rest. I’ll wait for Jiyong. He will be here anytime soon.” I convinced myself, forcing a smile. He will be back for me. I still have news for him. We will still have our first kiss. We will still have our own family. And he just told me he’ll always be there for me.

 

 

The family just finished buying their needs when Jiyong saw the store across the street, selling strawberries. He immediately thought of Dara, imagining how happy she would be if he gave her those. He excused himself from his parents with Seungri tugging with him.

“This must be for Dara.” The vendor smiled at Jiyong.

“Of course sir. Who else would it be?” Seungri answered instead.

“Help me choose the reddest.”

“Why hyung? Just pick anything, it would still taste the same.”

“Because red is the color of love.”

“Really hyung, you’re saying that? You’re so lame, where’s the poet whom I’ve been looking up to?”

Jiyong just laughed at him, still busy choosing the reddest strawberries he was talking about.

They were already going back to their family when someone bumped to Jiyong, causing some of the fruits he was holding to roll down the street. He quickly followed the little red sweets, knowing Dara wouldn’t like it when her favorite comes to waste.

“Hyung!” Seungri shouted suddenly.

When he looked up, a car was already zooming towards him. The driver pushed its horns repeatedly, the screeching sound of tires echoes the street.

But it was too late, everything happened so fast. His vision started getting blurry as he felt the impact on his body, throwing him at a distance.

This can’t be happening.

His Dara.

They still have many things to do. He can’t leave her yet.

She will be crying, and he doesn’t want that to happen.

He tried to fight. He was trying so hard to keep his eyes open. He could already taste his own blood and could feel the intense pain on every part of his body. He was still holding on that little hope, flashbacks of his family, smiling at him appeared within his closed eyes. Then there was Dara, he saw her waiting outside their house, telling him to come back home quickly. She was excited. He was curious what might be the reason. He must return home. He was praying so hard to survive. He can’t let Dara wait for too long.

He just can’t die yet.

“Hyung! Hyung!” Seungri cried, repeatedly calling his brother’s name, hugging his unconscious body. Bloods were everywhere, staining the gray pavement and their clothes. Funny, how moments ago they were just talking about red being the color of love. But now the red surrounding them was the color of blood. How could love switched into blood in an instant. It was mocking them.

“Jiyong!” Their parents and sister were traumatized with what they just witnessed. They ran towards the two, horror devouring them.  

“Mom, Dad! Help hyung. Please let him live.” Seungri bawled as their parents cried help from the bystanders.

 

 

Dara went back to where she was sitted minutes ago, firm with her decision to wait for Jiyong. She was trying to even her breathing, wiping the tears falling continuously. Her mind was already blank but she chose not to believe it. “He’ll be coming back.” She repeatedly chanted.

Seungri tried his best not to look at Dara, his hyung’s life. He knew he won’t be able to take the sight of her, broken. He felt dying, seeing his hyung’s lifeless body, what more for his noona. He heard her chuckle, forcing himself to look at her.

What he saw scared him.

How can he let her accept the truth when right now when she’s still denying it, she already look so miserable.

She’s lost.

“Noona, he’s gone.” He sat beside her, resting his head on her shoulder, his face still dripped with tears. He already had too much, he grew tired from everything. He, himself, can’t also accept it.

“He can’t be. I have good news for him. He will surely be happy. Let’s just wait.” Dara replied, showing him the white envelope, still wiping her tears, uncontrollably falling.

“Aishhhh! Why are these tears keep on falling?” She shouted, annoyed. “It must be tears of joy.” She snickered.

“Since your hyung is not yet here. I will tell it to you first, I passed the entrance exam. I’ll be going to Seoul with him.” She told him in her cracked voice. “Remember the house your dad told me that Jiyong and I could stay if we decided to study in Seoul, I asked my parents about it and they both agreed. He will be happy hearing this, right?” She continued, looking at him helplessly as if asking for assurance. “We will not miss each other. We will not be separated.” She forced another grin. They have already planned their future. She can’t lose him, not right now when they are still going to work for it.

Not knowing what to do, Seungri just hugged her tight. Soon, Dara’s loud cries were the only thing that can be heard. The sky has already turned dark but it does not compare to the darkness they felt losing Jiyong.

“Seungri, please help me.”

“I can’t lose him. This is killing me.”

“I love him so much. He can’t do this to me.”

Just the thought of not being with him is already unbearable but knowing that this thought turned into reality, it’s too painful. It’s hurting her too much. Her heart felt like it was being stabbed by thousands of unknown forces. She has no idea what dying felt like, but she was sure she just wanted to be dead if it means being with Jiyong. Her wonderful dream a while ago, how could it turn into a nightmare in an instant. And worse, this nightmare is the reality.

Seungri tried to console her, whispering that his hyung will always be with her, that his hyung wouldn’t like seeing her cry. But he knows, whatever he does, it will not lessen the pain Dara was experiencing.

He could never bring him back. That fact was hurting all of them.

They were all asking the same thing, how could Jiyong leave them?

 

 

The whole town was mourning. They will miss his gummy smiles, his singing, his mischiefs, his kindness. But what pained them more was knowing that they won’t be able to witness Jiyong and Dara’s love anymore. The young love which they grew fond of will now just live in their memories alone.

They all wanted to be there for Dara but they knew, they can only do much than to pity her. They don’t even want to imagine how much she was hurting. It was not only Jiyong that they lost, the once lively Dara, who could brighten up everyone’s day was also gone. Her parents, the Kwons, their friends, everyone were worried for her. She was so used on having him around, it became too hard accepting the truth.

The day after his burial, Dara woke up earlier than usual, quickly took a bath, excited to go to school as if nothing happened. She made sure she will look her prettiest. She waited and waited but no Jiyong showed up. “Maybe, he wanted to rest today.” She sighed, convincing herself.

“Mom, dad! I’m going.” Dara waved at her parents.

“Where are you heading? Take a rest first.” Her mom told her worriedly since she has not seen her leave Jiyong’s casket throughout his wake.

“Jiyong is waiting for me.” She simply replied before disappearing.

Her mother fell into cries, seeing how Dara was behaving. They were all hurting. Jiyong was like her child too, it was a fact for her and her husband that Jiyong will be the only man whom they could entrust their daughter’s life. But he was gone. How could she even help her daughter when everything about her is memories of Jiyong.

“Good morning uncle, aunt!” Dara greeted Jiyong’s parents, smiling. They were surprised to see her in their house. They thought she would be locked in her room after what happened to their son. They followed her inside, concerned on how she was acting. Sure, she was smiling but they know her too well, it was just a facade.

When she got inside, she saw Seungri, and sat beside him, “You’re writing a poem again?”  She stared at the papers scattered on the table, picking one to read. Same as his parents, Seungri was also surprised to see his noona. He thought his hyung’s death will take a long time for her to accept, but she was there at their living room, waiting like she used to do.

“Did you know Jiyong wrote me a song. It was beautiful. I always ask him to sing it for me. It’s my lullaby.” Dara animatedly told them as she stares on her hands, fidgeting her fingers. “I wonder when will he write a poem for me. You should teach him, Seungri.” She grinned at him, patting his back. Dara stayed silent for a while when Minzy came out from her room.

“Hi Minzy!”

“Unnie!” The little girl quickly ran, throwing herself into her unnie’s lap, crying. Seeing Dara, Minzy can’t help but to miss her brother.

“Why are you crying my little angel?”

“Unnie, I miss oppa.” She replied, sniffing and wiping her tears.

“I miss him too…….”

“Why is he not coming out? We should be spending our time already.” Dara suddenly said, piercing the hearts of those around her. It was one losing their family, but seeing Dara like this, they couldn’t bear it.

Jiyong’s mother started crying. Her husband was soothing her but that didn’t hinder him to cry as well. Minzy, who was confused with Dara’s words, was being hugged by his brother. Seungri was right, his noona is still denying the truth.

Ignorant with the soft cries and depressed looks, Dara started walking to Jiyong’s room, determined to drag him from bed so they could go out like they used to.

Upon seeing the empty bed, an intense pain stabbed her but she managed to mask it with her smile as she got out, facing again Jiyong’s family. “He’s not here. He might be waiting for me already in our usual spot. I’ll be going now. I don’t want him to wait.” She forcefully let her words out. She had a hard time taking another step, tears started gathering on the brim of her eyes. She can’t cry. Crying would just be the acceptance that he was really gone. And she’s not ready to do that. Not yet.

When she passed by Jiyong’s parents, she halted her walk, and turned to look at his mother.

“Don’t cry. Jiyong wouldn’t like it seeing you cry.” She smiled sadly, caressing the woman’s cheek.

When she left, everyone in the house crumbled. The strength they started building after what happened was crushed in an instant. It hurts them seeing how devastated Dara was. They wanted to help her but how. They know Jiyong would be the only one who could do that but it’s impossible now. Dara, she’s the only one who could help herself.

Dara went to their secret place but he’s also not there. She started walking again, thinking of another place where her lover must be waiting. She was walking alone, staring at her hands. She felt weird, she was used on having her hand entwined with his. Now, it feels empty. She reminded herself to scold him for making her feel that.

Her feet led her to their school grounds. She didn’t go to school, she wonders why Jiyong didn’t pick her up. She heard the bell rings, making her smile. The class ended. He must be waiting in the auditorium with the others. She ran with all her might, excited to finally see him.

Slowly, she was hearing the music playing inside. She giggled, remembering the time Jiyong sang for her. She turned the knob but disappointment welcomed her.

“Dara.” Youngbae, Chaerin, and Daesung looked at her sadly. Dara laughed at them, complaining if her presence was not allowed inside.

“Sorry about – ” Dara immediately cut Youngbae, not wanting to hear any of it.

“Where’s my Jiyong?” They just stared at her, not knowing how to answer. They never thought this day would come where Dara is not beside Jiyong anymore. They always thought it was her rightful place.

 

 

DARA’s POV

I stared at the moon as the night started to deepen. I’m just so tired of everything, I started forgetting how it feels like to live.

“Jiyong look at me, I’m this pathetic.”

“Why did you leave me?”

“We still have many things to do. You still haven’t given me my first kiss. You’re unfair, did you know that.”

“Can you see, I’m crying again. I thought you don’t want me to cry but how? It won’t stop. I’m getting tired with this pain.”

“Tell me what I should do. I just want you back.”

“I promise I will wake up early so you won’t wait too long every morning. I promise I will not disturb your sleep anymore.”

“I promise I will hug you more often, I regret not doing it. Now, who would engulf me with those strong arms?”

“My hands, these hands, they belong to yours. But now, it has lost its meaning, not having your hands entwined with it.”

“Can you just fetch me now, I will join you. It must be lonely up there.”

“Do you know what we should be doing at this moment? I should be wrapped already in your arms, giving me your warmth as we stare at the moon and stars. You should be singing your song for me already as I played with your hands. But no, I’m all alone here.”

“How can I move on with my life without you?”

“Why should it be us? Is this the price we should pay for being happy?”

“Ji, please help me.”

“I miss you so much.”

“I love you so much”

 

 

Dara spent the night, crying herself out, questioning things, talking to no one, wondering if Jiyong could see her, hear her, feel her. It was difficult for her. She wanted to be strong for everyone, but it’s seriously killing her. She knew Jiyong wouldn’t like it seeing how she behaves. But at least for once, she wanted to have this moment for herself. It will never be easy for her to accept the truth when all along having Jiyong with her is the only truth she believes.

Perfection, that’s how everyone viewed the life of the couple, it was also what Jiyong and Dara believe. It had never crossed their mind that a day would come where that perfection will just vanish in a snap. It was unexpected.

It was too heartbreaking. The pain is too intense. Dara wonders if death would be more bearable.

 

“Dara, remember. I love you always. No matter what happens, just remember all our memories, our happy times. When you feel like you can’t breathe and wanted to give up, I’ll always be here. I will give you all the strength you needed and I will always look after you. Be happy.”

 

Jiyong’s words echoed on her mind as if he was there, whispering it with so much love and sincerity.

Tears started falling again as her memories with him clouded her mind. Everyday, they were living their life to the fullest. They savor all the moments they have together.

She knew that those memories will be forever with her.

She heard the town’s sadness on how her and Jiyong’s perfect relationship was cut short. But she refused to believe it. She believes their love will never stop. Maybe, Jiyong left her too soon but she knows those times they were together, it was their happiest.

“Jiyong, I miss you so bad.”

“This is unfair, but I guess our destiny has another plan for us.”

“Thank you for everything.”

“I promise in our next lives, I will find you. I will make sure we’ll be together until our last breath. Wait for me. I love you always.” Dara finally whispered, choking some words in between. It was hard for her to accept the truth. The pain was there and will always be but she knows Jiyong will also always be there, looking for her. He wanted her to be happy and move on with her life without him. They may not have ended together but she has no regrets. Loving Jiyong was the best thing she had done in her life.

 

 

Dara and Jiyong - They may not be meant in this life, but their love, it will be forever.

That short period of time was already enough for them to believe how beautiful and powerful love is. Not only them but to everyone who witness it.

For Dara, no one knows what future lies ahead of her but one thing is for sure, Jiyong will forever have a place in her heart.

Maybe in their next lives, their story will continue. Their love was never lost, it’s just there, waiting for another chance.

 

 

Until When : A Prologue.

FIN.

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1440957/till-our-next-live