September 15th, 2018

On Casual Commitments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 15th, 2018

ᕙ(`▿´)ᕗ

Seulgi woke up to the sound of rain. Her unfocused eyes settled on Mino, who is sprawled on the futon next to her. In the comforting silence of water hitting the ground and overcast sky, her eyes grew shut for the second time. 

Her eyes flutter open again at the sound of Mino mumbling something incoherent while scratching his belly, eyes still closed. Ignoring him, she crawls forward to open the door to check the rain and found herself gazing at the trees surrounding the front garden. The morning was empty and quiet other than the pitter-patter sound. It's almost amazing how rain changes something about a place, fewer people go out in the rain, the grass looks greener, the soil are nourished, and it's so hypnotizing that Seulgi has been staring at trees for minutes on end. It may sound a little strange, but it makes her feel good. By taking the time to appreciate every passing seconds, Seulgi can see how the tops of the trees move with the wind, noticing a little cute frog taking shelter from the rain, and watch the race of rain drops stuck in the window pane. 

Finally, as the rain softened to a drizzle, Seulgi make the first move, stood up and disappear into the bathroom. She wasn't being gentle about it because it had woken Mino up, definitely doing it on purpose. Usually, he would throw some low insult at her for the noise, because waking up always mean another day to paint, to come up with ideas, to meet with other fellow artist, and all that boring crap, but for once, he woke up thinking about nothing in particular. Staring at the ceiling with bleary eyes, waking up to another ordinary day had reminded him of an idleness of a childhood, to wake up without some unexplainable pain or worries, to just wake up and watch cartoons or doodle stuff. It’s a special thing, he realized, and while it was all thanks to a certain someone, she need to cook breakfast.

“Seulgi-ya,” Mino drowsy voice called out. “I’m hungry,” a paused as he rolled to the side and starts hugging his pillow. The lack of response make him raise his voice and plead one more time. “Pleaseeeeee, I'm hungry.”

“Do you want ramen for breakfast?” Seulgi asked as she get out from the bathroom.

He peered up at her standing figure. “Will I be the one who light up the fire?” At the question, Seulgi dismiss him and pad off to the kitchen. “It’s raining outside,” he continue to whine while snuggling closer to his pillow, not budging to move at all.

“It’s starting to calm down,” she replied, checking through the back window, and for the second time, she found herself absorbed by the rain. “Mino, which one do you prefer, rainy days or sunny days?” 

“Huh?" He put himself into a sitting position and yawned, glancing at the opened door. "Rain, definitely. Just the sound of water hitting the pavement can make me go to sleep easily," it's saying a lot considering how hard it is for Mino to fall asleep even when he's tired from painting the night before. This is a problem Mino talked about with Seulgi, how his sleeping pattern is getting worse by day and that he feels like his body can't take the fatigue anymore. "The chilly air are so good for staying in," he added while checking his phone for notifications. Nothing. Huh. Seems like today will be a good day for him. 

“Is it?” Seulgi open the window wider, a gesture she usually get scolded for when it’s pouring. As the house located in a remote surroundings, there’s hardly any usual annoying precinct noises, so she’s all ears for the sound of rainfall and her eyes are all for the grayscale hue that encompasses it. Across the way, way way behind everything, Seulgi can see the outline of a mountain and along the way were a number of houses separate by a generous space of land. Before, Seulgi only see rain as a season where everything need much more effort. The puddles she always encounter at the city, the chaotic nature of running from one building to another, squished against other people with wet clothes in the train, and yet, a rainy day in the countryside make it possible for her to run away from daily responsibilities; replying emails, checking up on work, even things as simple as doing laundry. 

“Seulgi–come here already,” Mino’s voice is a little farther away now but the annoyance is heavily implied. "Can't find any ramen?"

She quickly gathered two packages of ramen and garlic and make way to the front yard where Mino already crouching down, busy to keep the fire alight. He muttered something of a protest, but still dilligently covers the pit to protect the fire. "You definitely taking your time while I'm doing all the work here,"

“Coming, coming,” she says, hastily slipping on some outdoor slipper. “You filled it with water?”

He nodded but Seulgi instinctively open the lid just to double check. No one can be too trusting with Mino. He didn't take offense to it though, instead he ruefully sigh while staring at the pieces of ramen Seulgi thrown in. “Should we try for eggs one more time?”

Seulgi stare out of focus at the floating raw noodles on the pot. “I'm fine with it, though,” she muttered absentmindedly while rubbing both of her hands in the middle.

“I really want my ramen to have eggs."

This doesn’t come as a surprise to her, his stubborn personality regarding small stuff is what usually drives women away. Then why is she still here and being friends with him, tending, and listening to his small whine? She had no idea either. Seulgi remembered one time when he went on a blind date set by Sehun with a girl with actual credentials, yes, the girl have a law degree and work a respectable job. Seulgi can't comprehend that the reason it did not work out was because Mino was being uselessly persistent about his point of view regarding the correct way of making a ssam. His childishness, it seem, what drove the girl away. In the end, good for her, but Seulgi is a different story. Just like any other day, she gave in at his eyes, because is there any other possible option? It's quicker to agree than to argue. 

“You're the one fetching it this time.” She scowled but went towards the chicken coop anyway.

“You’re doing it too! The chicken might peck me!” He protested.

“I got pecked yesterday!” She countered.

His brain starts working the other way around. “I did my part and light up the fire. Trust me, you're a brave girl, you can go in alone,” He grabs both of her arms and moves her forward.

She quickly eased her body out off him. "I'll distract the chicken by feeding them, you just need to take 'em." Seulgi pointed to the nesting box in the corner. 

Mino look at it like hell itself is waiting for him. "Are there chicken in there?"

"Just lift their little butts and take the eggs, they'll move for you."

"You want me to reach under them?" 

"That's where the eggs are," she opens the door to the pen and hurried Mino inside. 

He heard an angry squawk and wings flapping, soon he feels feathers brush his shin. "This can't be chicken!" He yelled.

"It's how chicken normally act, Mino," Seulgi offered as she move around to get the chicken's attention with a bucket full of pellets.

“Wah, this is too much," He sighed for the umpteenth time as he strategically move around the chicken scrambling around with their talons out ready as ever to make a scratch at him. "You sure they're not possessed?" 

As Mino continued to hop on one foot and then the other to avoid it, Seulgi start spreading the food, soon the chicken flock to her side. “Mino, it's clear,” she prodded. 

Mino comes to a halt just before the nesting box because there's a mean looking hen sitting atop of it. Can't believe he never come in close proximity with chicken in all his life but this morning alone two hostile chicken greeted him. “I'm going to lose my hand, won't I?”

“You will not," Seulgi groaned. "Just grab the eggs! Slowly slip your hand under it and you're good to go!”

Mino, out of fear, closed his eyes and bravely lean forward with his right hand blindly reaching the nest. If he did lose his right arm and can't paint anymore he's suing Seulgi. 

"Open your eyes, you need to go a little bit left—ya! Left, a little more, just a little more,"

Mino open his eyes out of frustration. “Aish–stop talking! I'm losing a finger here!” He decided to keep his sight at Seulgi because his hand starting to feel warm under there. He tries to reach further for the eggs.

“Great, first time it happen in the world,” her sarcasm is unmissable.

As soon as his hand touch it, he gathered four eggs and scurried around to the door with Seulgi yelling 'careful' for the eggs, but for Mino, coming out of alive is way more important. “You’re annoying, bring the basket here–wah," Mino said in disbelieved. "You have one job and you left it?” He glared at the stack of baskets on the side porch back in the house.

She waves her hand in dismissal and quickly gather both of her hands in the middle, creating a small basket. “Here,” once Mino put two eggs on her hand, she slipped it inside her jacket pocket and pats it lightly with a wide smile, “there. Safe and comfy for travel."

He stare at her in disbelief. She's lucky Mino can't do any cooking without her, because she can see that he was this close at yanking her hair. 

By noon, Mino and Seulgi walk alongside a clear stream with her talking about the current national development she just learned, figuring out the clutter of the streets which seem to have been left to grow without any thought and plan, in which it appear more beautiful than Mino thought in the first place. Unlike superficiality that can be seen in Seoul that was full of high-end apartments, beauty clinic, and gigantic billboard, Gurye was silent. Not a single stall of eight-hour skewered fishcakes steaming in creamy water. No poker-visored women rode motorized yogurt refrigerators and most importantly, there were no barbecue joints that is usually packed and attack everyone who's passing by with the smoke. The peaceful scenery gives Mino a sense of yearning, picturing himself riding an old bicyle with his sister. For the first time, Mino listen in to the background noise, the new autumn wind that feels much cooler, the repetitive calming sound of flowing water, and the faint chirp of birds. They took the long way around so many times through the landscape of the streets, until they unknowingly decided to stop at the middle of the flowing stream that will eventually connects to the sea.

Seulgi stopped on her tracks and rolled the hem of her blue overall up to her shin, ditch her sandals, and padded into the water. "Mino, have you catch marsh snail before?" 

"No, why would I?" his right foot prodded forward, balancing himself on a small rock. The rocks are giving him free acupuncture massage and he's not complaining. 

Seulgi wobbles her way further in towards the water, camera dangling from her neck. "What do you say about marsh snail soup?" she asked, bending down and craning her neck to the side at him. 

"For dinner?" 

Without hesitation, her hands plunged into the water trying to catch one. "Yeah, think it'd be nice."

"Do you even know how to cook it? And like, what, we just take it from the wild, right here right now?" 

"I think it just need to be boiled with salt." 

He looked at the road on the other side of the river that lead downhill towards the city center. "While we're at it, why don't we pick up something else from the store? Marsh snails always go well with soju." He always remember the sweet yet savory taste of them together. 

Seulgi hummed as a response, hands still busy gathering marsh snails by flipping rocks over and over again. "Mino, look!" Seulgi her palm full of marsh snails. 

"I see, you're quite talented, huh," despite not showing much interest, he can't help slip a little smile.

Mino bend down to feel the water stream goes against his fingers, playing with it rather than looking for snails. It was impossible for him to do it, he was never meticulous at this kind of thing and as Seulgi wades in deeper into the water, he's glued on the spot. 

"You won't try to catch any?" She look back at him with raised eyebrows.

"They're too small, too much work." Instead, he grab his own camera, trying to capture the peaceful surroundings.

Noticing this, Seulgi smirks. "I think you're enjoying the countryside a lot more than you like to admit," 

Mino huffed. "You know how I can't get enough sleep at home?"

Seulgi splash some water towards him, "yeah, and you slept for 12 hours here."

"You did this a lot as a kid?" He asked after taking a picture of her, smilling so wide it did something annoying to his heart.

"Not really. But it's just... fun, you know? It's been a while for me to just walk into the water without thinking twice." 

He smiled at her even though she's not looking. "Yeah, I get the feeling," he stood up, hands on top his knees. "Wait here, let me find something to store all that."

Hopping not so carefully back into the road, Mino roam around for a while until he come across a small home in front of the sign that lead to the main road. A skinny man in his sixties bobbed down, checking his reflection in the calm stream. He looked neat in his beige top and dark trousers. Behind him, a woman walk towards him, grabbing by the arm. "What you spacing out for—ah" she notices Mino presence first. 

He smile at them with a small bow. 

"A newcomer?" The husband asked with a soft voice but still clear enough for him to hear. 

Mino nervously brush the back of his head for some reason. He was never good with the elderly, in Seoul normally you don't even bat an eye to a passing stranger, you just focus on your own business. He got the feeling it wasn't always the case here in the countryside. "Ah, no, I'm visiting." 

The wife whose hand glued to her husband's, peeked around Mino and back at him again. "Your wife?" 

Without looking, he knew already it's Seulgi the one they mentioned. "Ah, she's a friend," he said with a smile, not bothering to elaborate further more. Seems explaining the answer won't do him any good.

"Are you guys looking for marsh snails?" the woman ask conversationally. "It's the best for this time of year. Oh, we were going down to make gimjang with the others, you two should join, in Gurye we welcome everyone."

Mino haven't heard that word in a while. Gimjang. Fall is really the kimchi-making season. In Korea, when the first cold wind came, families or village would create stockpiles of kimchi to store in large clay pots for the long winter. Behind them, Mino spotted a small van loaded with pounds of kimchi and sauces that they probably made with their own hands.

He politely decline. "No, I was just looking for something to store the snails. Do you know the nearest store?" 

The old man point towards the road. "Just downhill, but it will probably take you around 15 minutes on foot." 

"Ah, I see..." Mino looked at the long winding road behind them that seem to stretch more and more. It won't do, the round trip will take him 30 minutes and there might be some yelling involved in that scenario, particularly coming from a pretty impatient girl. 

The woman seem to understood Mino dilemma and pay attention to Mino's gathered hands in the middle. "If you're looking for something to store the snails, I can lend you some."

Mino quickly lights up. "If that isn't a bother, then yes, please."

When the wife leave for the house, she let go of her husband hands, leaving Mino with the old man who's peering at him with curious eyes. "You comin' from the city, huh?" he finally asked.

"Yes," he answers warily. 

"Seoul?"

Mino nodded. 

Suddenly, the old man smack Mino's forearm with force, jolting him to the side a little. He was surprised he still have this much strength despite how he looks. He remembered his dad age, 61? 62? Around that and domestic work is out of the question, he even barely get out these days. Dad has been struggling ever since he quit his job, he also didn't drink much beer now and often walks aimlessly to exercise his body. Degenarating health is a given, Mino knew that, he himself live less perfectly at 26 than he imagined he would be when he was 10. Normal unexplainable pain that usually come and go suddenly become a lot more serious. So, why is this old man who has been living in the small city who look about the same age as his dad can still have twice as much energy?

"I knew it!" The old man cracked a satisfied smile. "Even though you dress weird, you still look too handsome, you must have had a lot of lovers, ain't cha?" He laughs, a booming cackle that is totally unique to the older generations.

Mino was flustered and can only muttered a thank you. "Harabeojji, I can see you're eager for the kimchi-making," Mino mentioned after spotting a pair of yellow rubber gloves in his pocket. 

The husband smiled. "Of course! I don't think there's anyone doing it anymore, ya, especially your generation they're not even interested where rice is coming from, they're only good at eating it. You see, making kimchi is one of the way to talk to neighbors, its where all the gossip are," he said cheekily. "Especially, that wife of mine, her hand mix kimchi well but works harder," he shakes his head with a sheepish laugh. "Say, what you do for a living?" 

"Me? Well, I'm a painter."

"You paint, huh? Like drawing on the canvas?" He asked while miming a brush and a canvas.

"Yes, exactly I draw—or paint for a living."

His smile turns soft. "Young man, why'd you choose to become a painter? It's a tough industry from what I heard."

"Because it was fun-" he stopped abruptly. Fun? When was the last time he thought painting was fun? Choosing art for Mino didn't come with specific reason, the only reason was probably because of that one time he won the art contest back in kindergarden. Then art grew as tools for Mino to conveyed what cannot be expressed with words, he also realizes that there are many interesting things in this world. It teaches Mino a deeper meaning of his subject. Whenever Mino use his family as a subject to practice, he notices his dad's calloused fingers, Dana early wrinkles, mom's muscle from playing tennis, and as he continue to draw, he noticed more. Mino let out a small chuckles, this old man is good at touching the sensitive topic. "I like doing it."

"So, you were confident,"

More like, confidence is all Mino have to turn his skill into an actual talent, to prove to his own parents that pursuing what he like is not the end of the world. Mino was not raised in a household with many books or records. Neither one of his parents are exposed to fine art or be taken to any museums. His parents wouldn't have known the name of painters Mino learned in university, even Korean ones. But his parents are wordly in their own way, Mino's mother family was well-off before the '97 financial crisis and his father family always worked for chaebol companies, Mino figured this background is what makes them feel entitled to criticize him for choosing art. 

The old man continues, "you see my daughter moved to Seoul, said about having this dream as an interior designer. I don't know who give her the self-confidence but she's mature enough to know that she won't make it with half-hearted resolve. I've seen many kids dreaming of becoming big on a whim, then quit before having anything to show for it, can't lie that I was beyond worried that she won't make it. Dreams just don't put food on the table, ain't it?" He slip out a bitter laugh, eyes staring in a distance. "We currently part ways on bad terms, but then I realized whether for college or employment, she'll have to leave the village eventually, the place is too small for new opportunities, obviously few kids return once they go away... Well, it's been a while since I last talk to her."

Somehow, Mino feels like he's in a difficult position. He can't blame the daughter because anyone would've feel the same. What he symphatize with the daughter is that when you were young it is true that you are presented with the opportunity to do whatever you want with your life, but it's the pressure of knowing that you either have to go out and make an attempt to get whatever job your parents approve of or you can have a go at following your dreams with a risk of crash and burn, which is it's own barrel of fun. But, at the same time, he can hear a hint of sadness and regret behind the old man words. From the way the old man stare into a distance, his knitted eyebrows, and gathered hands at the back only make him look so small. He understood that this old man just miss his daughter despite anything. 

The old man glanced back at Mino, "Oh well, I can see you're a successful one."

Far from it actually. "Thank you for your kind words, but I'm not talented at all, I just happened to like art more than others, but it still requires me to study various techniques. Harabeojji, I still have a long way to go," Mino said with a little hint of bashfulness. 

The old man laughs returned. "Don't be like that, you're doing what you love, you already made it,"

It makes Mino wonders, do his father perhaps feeling the same thing as this old man feel? Mino racked his brain, thinking back to the time when he stormed out of the house full of anger because he childishly wanted to paint, have he for a second, just stand still and think about what his father must be feeling? Absolutely not.

When Mino asked politely that his fancy  wants to go to college for art, his dad said 'save your breath, you might need it someday', and he was right. Mino was never blessed with a talent, he knew that much, so are his parents. But he has skills and determination to make up for what he lacks. He was so full of himself at that time so he applied to art school despite the objection. At this point, recognition given by his dad that Mino long for is as mystical as talking back to parents or wearing shoes in the house, to add, he wasn't having perfect scores either. He loafed about for a while, sleeping from one places to another, mainly Seunghoon's, then worked as a courier, washes car, even as far as filling out a role in Korean Folk Village in exchange for food. 

In the end one true fact remains, like father, like son, they were not an 'I love you' people and for absolutely no reason at all, both Mino and his father have a rough time at apologizing. The exchange of those words hardly happen, because they are ashamed or plain stubborn, but Mino knew well tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter