Chapter 2

Closer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eunji has been hanging out with Chorong and Bomi for a little over a month now. They see each other at least four times a week together, and whenever they aren’t together, they’re always messaging each other in their group chat. At first, Eunji had been unsure of how to be friends with a couple. It’s basically like signing up to be a third wheel, or so she thought. Instead, Eunji finds both women always make an effort to make sure Eunji doesn’t feel left out. 

 

It would be really nice if not for one thing. Eunji is like 90% sure they’re flirting with her. Both of them. Which is just… crazy, right? She must be imagining things because Chorong and Bomi are, like, disgustingly in love with each other. Except, they both flirt with her in front of each other, so it’s clearly not a secret they’re keeping from each other. Maybe she’s just imagining things.

 

She’s not so sure she is though, but she doesn’t really want to bring it up and rock the boat.

 

She likes them. A lot. She likes how Chorong will text her the day she has a test, telling her good luck and asking her how it went after, because she bothered to remember Eunji had a test at all. She likes how Bomi always makes her laugh, even after the longest of days, and surprises her with random snacks in their class together. She likes it when it’s all three of them, and they’re watching movies and somehow Eunji ends up between them with Bomi’s head on her shoulder and Chorong playing with her fingers absently. 

 

It feels right, even though Eunji isn’t exactly sure where she fits in with being friends with a couple like this.

 

It’s the weekend, and Eunji is sprawled out on her bed with her chemistry textbook when her phone pings with a new notification. It’s a text from Bomi, inviting her over to her and Chorong’s for dinner and a movie. It’s nothing new. If anything, it’s what’s normal now. Eunji goes over to theirs at least once a week to do this exact thing. Except Eunji has been thinking about the whole flirting thing, and she isn’t sure if she wants to go over today.

 

Then, almost like if she knew Eunji was going to say no, a text from Chorong comes, asking her to save her from Bomi’s poor movie choices. It’s accompanied by a text from Bomi, arguing that her taste in movies is perfectly fine and Chorong doesn’t know what she’s talking about. 

 

Unable to stop herself, Eunji smiles at the texts. She replies she’s on her way and immediately receives a string of heart emojis from Bomi and a grateful thank you from Chorong. Whatever, she can deal with her confused feelings and borderline crushes on both of them another day. 

 

Eunji puts up her schoolwork and heads out without changing from her sweatpants and t-shirt. It’s just dinner and a movie at Chorong and Bomi’s. She’s gone over dressed similarly before, and neither of them have ever really commented on it. Usually, at least Bomi is dressed down as much as her. 

 

When she knocks on the door, Chorong opens the door and greets her with a bright smile and a, “Hey, you. Come on in.”

 

Eunji blushes at the greeting and steps in. She is just walking in when Bomi is there, tugging on her arm to show her something. She barely has time to take off her shoes, sharing a mutually amused yet exasperated look with Chorong, before Bomi drags her over to where a laptop is on the couch.

 

“Help me choose a puppy!” Bomi tells her as they sit down.

 

Teasingly ignoring Bomi, Eunji turns and calls out to Chorong, “Do you need help with anything?”

 

“No, it’s okay,” Chorong assures her as she passes them on her way to the kitchen. She stops by the couch and places a hand on Eunji’s shoulder. It’s warm and kind of makes Eunji feel tingly. “We already ordered food. I’m just cutting some fruit. Look at the puppies with Bomi. She’s been dying to show them to you since yesterday.”

 

“We need an outside opinion,” Bomi explains, “because we can’t agree.”

 

“I still say we don’t have time for a dog,” Chorong mumbles, and she’s walking away before Bomi can argue but not before she absently brushes Eunji’s hair over her shoulder.

 

Bomi huffs playfully then turns to Eunji. Her arm brushes against hers as she says, “Chorong asked what I wanted for our anniversary, and I said a puppy. She agreed at first, but now she’s going back on it. She said if I can find one we both agree on then we’ll go through with it.”

 

Eunji laughs and asks, “Do you have different tastes in dogs?”

 

“It’s the little things,” Bomi sighs. “Now, help me look.”

 

For the next hour, Eunji is squished up beside Bomi, cooing over the pictures of dogs from nearby shelters. There aren’t many puppies, but there are plenty of other dogs that are just as cute as the puppies. Seeing them, Eunji can’t help but think about adopting a dog of her own. Then again, if Chorong and Bomi get one, then she can just play with theirs. 

 

At some point, Chorong joins them, sitting on the other side of Bomi. It feels weirdly domestic to be doing this with them. They always ask her for her opinion as a tiebreaker, and Eunji feels like her opinion shouldn’t really matter that much when it’s going to be their dog, but they always ask her so she feels like she has to reply. 

 

When the doorbell finally rings with their food, Bomi rockets off the couch to grab it. 

 

“I wouldn’t let her snack all afternoon,” Chorong tells Eunji dryly as they get up to grab plates and drinks. 

 

“How cruel of you,” Eunji teases her. “Bomi is a growing girl.”

 

Chorong rolls her eyes, but she’s smiling as they walk back to the living room where Bomi has laid everything out. They eat together around the coffee table, catching up with each other since the last time they saw each other. Bomi automatically hands Eunji the box with her favorite dish while Chorong opens a soda for her, and something about these little things makes Eunji feel weird. Friends do this, right?

 

Eunji is startled out of her thoughts when Chorong asks, “Is the food okay?” Her fingers rest lightly on Eunji’s wrist, the kind of casual touch that could mean nothing or could mean something. 

 

“Yeah, it’s great,” Eunji says, forcing a smile. To prove her point, she scoops some into . “Just a little stressed about classes, I guess.”

 

“Is that jerk still bothering you in your organic chemistry class?” Bomi asks, and when Eunji gives her a confused look, she elaborates, “That guy you said who kept asking for your number.”

 

Eunji furrows her brows, trying to remember what Bomi is talking about. It takes her a moment, but then she remembers about two weeks ago when she mentioned this offhand. It hadn’t even been a big deal at the time. Eunji had just been kind of annoyed. She’s surprised Bomi even remembered her saying that. 

 

“Oh, no,” Eunji answers, unable to keep the confusion off her face. “It was just that one day. He hasn’t bothered me since.”

 

“Good,” Bomi says with a strange kind of vindictiveness that doesn’t suit her. Then Chorong gives her a sharp glare, and Bomi just grumbles into her fried rice. 

 

Eunj

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter