I’ve never felt this way

something in between

 

Band practice was tough but what I love is having my own space to practice. During club days, I would pick a spot for me to freely practice and it would be in front of the football field on the third floor, where I can see the soccer boys clearly from the top. I enjoy watching the matches as I play my clarinet. 

Bong Jaehyun from the elite class was the first to notice me on the third floor and he gave me a friendly wave. I waved back and he told everyone to look up. Suddenly, the soccer boys started to wave at me and then went to shout at Jibeom. 

“JIBEOM AH, LOOK WHO IS HERE,” shout the boys towards Jibeom at the end of the field. Jibeom looked up and our eyes met. He smiled and waved at me. The boys nudged him as they said something to him that made his face go red. I continue to play my clarinet as I watch the match. 

I saw the captain of the team, lean built with a brown hair. I knew he looked familiar. Choi Sungyoon, the third grader. I realised he was one of the student councilors that Soojeong kept talking about. The teachers like him because he is kind, smart and helpful. Basically, he is the ideal boy. 

As I watched the game continue, I watched Sungyoon score goals after goals and directing the team for strategies. He was pointing out the strength and weaknesses for the team and he looked super cute and handsome and smart at the same time. No wonder Soojeong had a crush on him. 

 

 

Soojeong was the first student to pass the student councilors interview. Sungyoon broke the news to her in person. She was so happy she could burst, not only because she got the position, but also it was the MVP that told her personally. 

“Oh my god, I think I’m going to explode,” Soojeong said as she squealed with Minji. We all repeatedly congratulated her. She was born for this. 

“Ya, Choi Soojeong, try not to give me detention okay?” Youngtaek said. Soojeong snickered at him, “stop being late to school then.”

Soojeong then talked about how she wanted to be like Sungyoon; smart, funny, helpful, and everything else. She was so happy when she described him but at the corner of my eye, I could see Youngtaek’s sad eyes. 

Youngtaek doesn’t even know it but he had a crush on Soojeong. 

 

 

Ever since I used the swear word more often, Youngtaek has stopped annoying me. His attention went to Choi Soojeong instead. He would pull her ponytail just to earn a hard slap on his back. He would also borrow her stationery and not return it until she asked for it. And when she does, he would raise it so high Soojeong cannot reach him. 

So this is how Youngtaek showed his affection. 

I went to the soccer field when it was break time during band practice. Knowing that it’s also soccer club’s break time too, I bought two packs of ice pops to give to Youngtaek. 

I snuck behind him to put the ice cream against his cheek, shocking him in the process. I laughed when he stumbled sideways. 

“That was cold,” he stated, his eyebrows furrowed. 

“You’re welcome,” I said as I took a seat on the bench, him following. 

“Gosh, I’m so tired,” he said as he laid down and rested his head on my lap as he ate the ice cream. 

“What the . Go away. You sweat and smell like ,” I said, trying to push him away but his head was heavy. 

“Let me rest for a minute,” he said. We ate in silence as I let him be, watching the cloud move in the blue sky. I was first to broke the silence. 

“What do you feel about Soojeong?” I asked him.

“Soojeongie? What about her?” 

“Answer my question, you dumb head. You know what I mean.”

“No, I don’t. Go to the point,” he said.

“You like her, right?” I asked and he didn’t answer. Then I could see a tint of pink on his cheeks.

“I knew it. You like her,” I smiled victoriously, “you’ve been annoying the hell out of her. You should tell her how you feel,” I suggested. 

“And be Jibeom number 2? No,” he denied. As if on cue, I saw Jibeom walk towards the field with a soda on his hand. He saw me and Youngtaek on my lap and widened his eyes. 

“Get up,” I said. Youngtaek shook his head but I started to push him, “get up now.”

“Ah, what?” Youngtaek asked annoyed. He noticed why I was doing that when he saw Jibeom walking towards us. He shot me a smirk when he stood up. 

“Your lover is here,” he mouthed and I slapped his back.

I noticed that my lap was wet because of Youngtaek’s sweat. Ew. I grabbed a towel I found on the bench and wiped my lap with it. I don’t care whose it was.

“Supp,” Jibeom said. Youngtaek was about to put his arms around Jibeom when I stopped him, dragging Jibeom away from him. “Don’t let him touch you,” I warned Jibeom, “he smells like .”

“Ya that’s not fair! We all played soccer together! We are supposed to smell like together!” Youngtaek complained and I stuck my tongue out at him. 

“Then why you let him sleep on your lap?” Jibeom asked me, his facial expression is serious. I widened my eyes, trying to find a good answer but he laughed and said he was joking. 

But he turned to Youngtaek and gave him a death stare that sent shivers down his spine.

Jibeom and I were not dating, but he was protective of me. I guess that’s why I’m comfortable around him. 

 

 

“SOOJEONGIE PABO,” Youngtaek shouted. It was a 5 minutes interval between classes, waiting for the teacher to arrive. The one who invented this game is Youngtaek. He was creative but in a stupid way. 

“MINJINIE PABO,” Soojeong continued. Basically, when you are called, you have to answer. And you cannot call someone who already answered. If the teacher comes before you can call someone, you lose.

“RIHYUNIE PABO,” Minji said and I continued, “JANGJUNIE PABO.”

“DONGHYUNIE PABO,” Jang Jun called when Donghyun entered the class from taking a water break. 

“JAEHYUNIE PABO,” he called Bong Jaehyun who was walking towards the toilet as he passed our class. Even though he’s from a different class, he knew how this game works. The entire soccer team knows how this game works. 

“JOOCHANIE PABO,” he sang right as Joochan passed him to enter the classroom. 

“YOUNGTAEGI PABO,” Joochan said and everyone burst into laughter. 

“GOTTEM!!!” Jang Jun and Youngtaek said in unison. Joochan’s punishment is trash duty for the week.

 

 

It was another day at band self-practice and I sat in my usual spot. There is an end of year concert for our band and only few spots for first years are chosen to participate. I badly want to go as it will look good in my academic records. Besides, who doesn’t want to perform at the City Hall? 

I practiced for 2 hours non-stop, trying to get that one part right. My cheeks were red from all the playing. I decided to take a water break and watch the soccer game ongoing downstairs. I remember Youngtaek saying that today is a real match to determine who is going for the inter-school sports festival. 

The teams were split into two, team red and team blue. Joochan has eyes on the ball when he was able to intercept and kick it to a goal.

But what he didn’t realise was that he scored on his team’s own goal. 

“JOOCHAN AH,” everyone in his blue team shouted at him, facepalming themselves, while the red teams burst into tummy-aching laughter. I choked on my water. Sungyoon slapped his , “Focus.”

“HOW CAN I FOCUS WHEN YOU MOLEST ME.”

When practice was done, my phone didn’t stop buzzing. 

kdh0223: u guys know what makes up an idiot?
bae seungmin: ah here we go again
young tag: what
jang june: what
minji: what
rihyun33: someone who scored on a goal defended by his own teammate
soojeongii: LMAOOO
kdh0223: LMAO RIHYUN SAW THAT WENT DOWN
jang june: HAHAHAHA IDIOT JOOCHAN
minji: SDKSKDSKJD WTF HONG JOOCHAN
hongjoochan: what the guys
hongjoochan: :((((((((((((((
jang june: rookie mistake
young tag: it’s not rookie mistake, IT’S JUST PLAIN STUPID
bae seungmin: now he’s benched lol
kdh0223: rip joochan
minji: rip joochan
jang june: rip joochan
hongjoochan: :(((((((((
hongjoochan: neomuhae
rihyun33: hey no bully
hongjoochan: give me a hug
rihyun33: no screw u
young tag: OOF
minji: OOF
kdh0223: OOF
hongjoochan: feelsbadman

 

 

The day for the inter-school sports fest finally arrived and everyone in the school is invited to watch our soccer boys play in the field. The opposing team is from Changwon National High School, known for their strong defense. 

Before the game started, Jaehyun and Bomin nudged Jibeom and pointed at me amongst the crowd. Jibeom waved me a hi and showed me his new jersey number.

Number 33. It is my birthday number. March 3. 

I smiled and could feel my cheeks getting hot. I mouthed “hwaiting” to him. 

“You two aren’t dating but it makes me think that you are,” Minji pointed out. 

“Ah hajima...” I said shyly. The game was about to start and everyone has eyes on the field.

“Gosh, look at Sungyoon. He’s dashing as usual,” Soojeong said with twinkles in her eyes. Usually at this point, Youngtaek would be pulling her ponytail to piss her off but this time, he is in the field, playing for the school.

The game is a 8v8, and like Seungmin said, Joochan is on the bench. I could see him agitated because I know how much he wants to play. 

Suddenly, a commotion was seen on the field. I widened my eyes when it was Sungyoon on the ground, clutching his own leg. It looks like he sprained his ankle. 

“Oh my god! No...” Soojeong said in disbelief. She dashed towards Sungyoon following a Red Cross Society member. 

Youngtaek saw her helping Sungyoon up and sadness was seen in his eyes. 

After they took a time out, the game continued without Sungyoon. Joochan replaced him and the game was more intense with the MVP dropping out of the game. But as if the devil himself as awakened, Joochan played with focus and sheer determination, bringing the whole team to victory. 

We all cheered in celebration when the whistle was heard, indicating that the game has ended. Sungyoon who was on the bench celebrated by getting a hug from Soojeong. Throughout the game, she has been looking at him with loving eyes, making sure that he was comfortable despite his injury. Youngtaek saw this and even though he wanted to smile because they won, he just couldn’t. 

I wish she would look at me that way.

 


youngtaek is going to have a hard time ... TT WHY HE DID HIMSELF LIKE DIS TT YOUNGTAEK AHHH