Festival

Plague of Eden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After visiting her mother, the young captain decided to stroll around the city first before looking for Jinsoul. They weren't in a rush anyways, and the capital looked beautiful this time of the year. Hyunjin was holding her horse by the reins pulling it along with her while she was looking around the market place, looking at desserts served. Jinsoul liked desserts, and she heard this was a great time of the year for some. Eden was the number one exporter of apples in the continent, their apple pies were the best pies, but Jinsoul especially liked blueberry pies, so she searched around for a bit longer until she found the baker in her stall. The smell hit Hyunjin and she couldve sworn she wouldve never left the stall if she had nothing to do today. Hyunjin was kind of the same with Jinsoul, she loved bread the most out of anything in this world. She asked for a slice of the blueberry pie, the baker tied it up in a cloth and gave it to Hyunjin. The captain took out some coins from her small bag and paid the baker muttering a thanks before going back on track. While walking around, she cant help but eavesdrop some of the conversations of the common folk. Gossips and rumours where always present in these times because the news passed quicker this way. The conversations weren't clear enough to hear because the place was bursting with music and cheering people for the performers on the streets. All that Hyunjin could hear were "walking","Zokreb","no news" and "cover up". She wondered what could have happened at Zokreb to make such a commotion that the news would reach Portol. But then again, people from around the kingdom came here to celebrate, some may have heard hear-say from other travellers along the road, but it was weird for Hyunjin not to have heard any during her own journey. She tried not to pry in, since there were many people outside it was more dangerous, pickpockets and thieves were out and hidden within the crowd. She continued her way, but the words stuck to her like she felt something was off here. She couldnt point it out but could only deny the feeling and just enjoy this year's festival.

 While her mind was wandering around, she didn't notice Jinsoul was infront of her asking her something. "Captain?" Jinsoul asked, holding Hyunjin by the shoulders and shaking her. Hyunjin snapped out of it and looked at Jinsoul in surprise. "Oh- Jinsoul, how long we're you standing there?", "Not long, now come with me, I think I got something for you". Jinsoul held Hyunjin's hand while Hyunjin was still clutching onto her horse. She was pulled out to alley which lead to the slums of the city. There were shagged houses at one side of the road and the castle walls at the other. It was covered in dirt and mud, the poverty was more evident here than the other parts of the city. It was a location with less people but townsfolk roamed around, some you could definitely tell currently lives there and some looked like trouble waiting, but they wouldn't want to bother people like these two who were walking around in armor, swords in their scabbards. But the two mercenaries couldnt help but to be more careful because they dont know if there were more thugs around the area waiting for their moment to pounce, so Jinsoul wanted to speak quick. "We could've just met in the tavern, you know" the young captain spoke making Jinsoul stop waking in her tracks, "I felt that something was off inside the tavern, there were issues not to be discussed around and a woman was looking at  me strangely. She might be part of a syndicate for all I know", "So your idea is to meet at the slums", "Its away from the crowd, come on give me a break", Jinsoul raised her hands in defeat, she realized this may have not been a good place to stay for long. "Lets get to it then" Hyunjin placed her hands on her waist ready to listen to what Jinsoul found out in the tavern.  "I've heard rumors about Zokreb", Hyunjin nodded to hearing the word 'Zokreb', "I've heard rumors on the streets, but Im not sure whats boiling down there", "I tried to ask too, but it seems that no one knows. All Ive gathered is that they lost communication to Zokreb three days ago, and that no one is allowed inside, like they're hiding something" Hyunjin placed her hand on her chin assessing whether they should continue unto this path. "What do you think, Jin?", "Its a couple days ride, but the folks are having a festival in this city right now, I dont think there would be trouble lying around here". Hyunjin walked to the side of her horse, opening her saddlebag. "This is exactly a good time to stick around. Festival with lots of people, you dont know what could happen. Murder, stolen treasure, hell the lords are attending too, maybe they have work for us. And you know how it is, cruel lords pay more". Hyunjin takes out an item wrapped in cloth, and handed it to Jinsoul. Jinsoul eyes it and looks at Hyunjin in confusion. Hyunjin points at the cloth with her lips. Jinsoul opened the cloth and fell when she see her favorite pie. She nodded to Hyunjin to with a smile to thank her and proceeded to take a bite. She couldnt help to let out a faint squeal since its been awhile since she had some blueberry pie. While munching on the gift, she continued the conversation, "Anyways, I just felt like something's wrong with the place, and we go where things are wrong. I figured we should check it out", "Wow, since when did you had sympathy, Jinsoul?". Jinsoul stopped chewing and furrowed her eyebrows, she pointed her pie to Hyunjin while scolding her, "I dont like people who are up to no good disturbing other townsfolk thats all", she raised her hands in disbelief of what Hyunjin just told her, "Alright, alright Im sorry, I dont like seeing you sad while eating. Its one of the only things that I see you happy anyways...", Jinsoul pointed at Hyunjin with her other hand while continued eating with the other, she replied "Damn right". Hyunjin places her hands on her hips, and proposes a deal. "Alright, we stay here until tomorrow for the festival, so we can relax a bit.  If things go wrong, we can earn some coin on the way to the next destination. If there's nothing here for us after the festival tomorrow, we leave to Zokreb, and hopefully they havent solved it themselves yet". Jinsoul looked at Hyunjin in disbelief for what she just heard come out of Hyunjin's mouth. "Oh you know what I meant...", Jinsoul moves her head towards the pie without breaking eye contact with the younger girl. "So, is that a deal?", Jinsoul finishes the rest of her pie and pockets the cloth. She wipes off the crumbs on her hand and gulps down the food on . "Alright, its a deal. I'll need more pie anyways". Hyunjin chuckled at Jinsoul and her hunger for desserts. 

Jinsoul looked behind Hyunjin and saw a man who looked like he had some issue with Jinsoul, the way he stared meant trouble. He tapped the captains shoulder and looked her in the eye, "We should go back to the main street now, something's not right", "Yeah, I felt that too" both looked around and saw more of the thugs appearing from different directions. The two head off to where they came from pulling Hyunjin's horse along, when one of the thugs stepped infront of them. "Hello ladies-", "Move" Jinsoul ordered without even hearing the rest of what the man had to say. "Dont be rude, we just met...", "We have no intention of knowing you, just let us on our way will ya'?" Hyunjin spoke in annoyance, she tried to walk out again but the man showed his palm to the young captain, then proceeded to laugh and placed his hands on his waist, "Look now, newly arrived in Portol, and no hospitality. Tsk tsk... Dont you know theres a fee for going around this area?", Hyunjin rolled her eyes while looking at the thug in front while Jinsoul was eyeing the rest of them to make sure none of them tries something behind their backs. "We're not paying you any money, nor are we entertaining this conversation. We're leaving-" As soon as Hyunjin tried to walk forward yet again, the thug pulls out a shiv and points it a Hyunjin. Hyunjin looked more furious than she was awhile ago. "We dont want any money, honey... we just want the horse, and we'll let you be on our way", "Not a fat ing chance, scum" Jinsoul insulted, now facing at the direction of the other thugs, ready to pull out her sword. "Alright then, you asked for this-" just as the thug was about to attack, they hear a voice from the end of the alleyway they came from, "Hey, leave our captain alone". The thugs looked at where the voice came from, and a dozen mercenary guards came to the aid of Hyunjin and Jinsoul. The thug in front slowly walked away, but the rest of his gang grouped up incase they get into a fight. "Hey Oliver, nice to see you". Oliver let out a sheepish smile to Hyunjin, "Lets go everyone", They were about to walk away when the thug before shouted, "You got lucky, you're boss saved you!". Hyunjin stopped dead in her tracks. Oliver closed his eyes and exhaled, while Jinsoul let out a chuckle. They both know what was about to happen. Hyunjin turned around and walked to the thug that spoke. Before the thug could say something again, Hyunjin grabbed him by the collar of his dirty tunic and headbutts him. The thug fell on the ground stunned, his forehead was bleeding. He crawled back to this subordinates who all whipped out they shivs. Just then, Hyunjin's group pulled out their weapons. It was evident in the thug's faces they were scared and know that they would lose this fight. "Let me get something clear here, you scum..." Hyunjin talked down to the bleeding thug, still lying on the ground. "I am the boss here, and if I see you ever again, Ill rip your throat out with my own hands, you understand?". No one replied, but Hyunjin knew they would definitely oblige not to see her again ever. Hyunjin walked away, then Jinsoul came up, took the cloth from her blueberry pie and threw it at the bleeding thug, "Wipe your head with it, you look like ". She smirked and walked away with the rest of the group.

~*•°•*~

When her father died in battle, and her mother died of sickness, the responsibility of being the baron of Jorren Lake Fort was passed on to Jungeun. It was two years ago since her ascension. For those two years, she tried her best to maintain the prosperity of the land given to her by birth right . She made sure the castle was well guarded and supplied so that the local villages have someone to rely on. Sometimes she came to the villages herself helped and helped plowing the fields when droughts or storms destroyed their farms. When their pastures where raided by wild animals, she hunted down predators that roam the farmlands. One time, when it seemed the villages where prospering, bandits decided to attack and terrorize the peasants. Jungeun recieved the news and came to their aid in haste. Though there are truly some who respect her for everything she has done, they were mostly the people who were new to the village or castle. The others who lived long enough to see her family was disappointed in her and had no respect for her for letting the family name in shambles now. In short, she didnt have the support of the elders and the higher ups. Because of her hardwork, she was rich compared to other lords of the land, but no one wanted to be affiliated with her for being the girl that she was.

Its been a couple minutes since the woman in armor left, Jungeun decided to leave the tavern and walk the streets. At this point, Jungeun didn't know at first that the event was to be celebrated at night. She never knew, because this was her first time attending the festival. She never attended feasts or celebrations, the only time she came was when she was still 9 years old, when her father visited a friend of his in Portol to celebrate his birthday, but Jungeun doesnt remember anymore who that friend was. Knowing her status know, she never attended an event since her ascension to ruler two years ago. The other lords and ladies didnt bother inviting her, because Jungeun had no friends in court, and some thought she was crazy for the decisions she made for herself. Wandering the streets despite feeling bitter about it, she couldn't help but to be in awe of how grand and gorgeous the place looked like. She remembers when she accompanied her mother to pay respects to the Queen after the Battle of Frankschia, in where the King died 4 years ago. Portol was in grief, and the whole city looked depressing. No good news were heard those days, There was no life or joy outside the homes of districts, the skies were dark and the city streets empty. Jungeun was convinced not to visit Portol ever again. But now, she was impressed of how much improvement it had. Triangular flags and streamers were all over the place, new food stalls opened up to sell goods filled the air with different aroma everytime shes passes by one, walls were plastered with posters of different inn performances from famous singers and performers. Near the city square, there was a larger poster than usual that said the arena opened a tournament in which the grand prize would be a pool of money, as well as access to the royal feast inside the castle tonight. Looking at the sun, Jungeun figured out that she can probably spend the time inside the arena since it was still long before dark, where she will attend the feast for the first time and confront the Queen. Besides, since she felt ashamed of being gone for a long time, she figured maybe winning this contest would atleast make her honourable and courageous infront of her.

She was infront of the arena walls, just outside where there were also stalls and toys for kids. It also seemed that most smiths sold weapons here, she just hoped that the tournament wasnt to be fought with real weapons, Jungeun didn't want to get herself injured, or worse, die inside the arena . The tournament handler was announcing names of probably famous contestants, beside him was a table where people signed up. Jungeun followed the line to talk to the person listing names of participants. "Name", "Jungeun","Place?","Jorren Lake", The personnel looked up and eyed Jungeun. Jungeun felt a little bit uncomfortable, but the man kept his eyes at the book again and said, "Are you sure about this, my lady? The arena is usually for the boys, we can't save you if you're gonna whine during the fight". Saying Jungeun was shocked was an understatement. Not even a second passed, Jungeun's blood boiled at the words of the man, all she said was "Sign me up", "Alright then, whatever... it starts in 10 minutes, gear up". Jungeun walked through the gate where the contenstants will prepare. When she got inside the room where the weapons and armor were stored, men of different sizes looked at her in confusion. Some started making jokes about Jungeun which made her uncomfortable. "Are you lost, girl?", "If youre looking for your husband, Im over here honey", "Dont hurt yourself too much, dont want to ruin your sweet, delicate skin" Jungeun felt nervous under the stares of these men who were still laughing and objectifying her. She continued until she reached the end of the room where there were less people. They were allowed to choose their own gear and equipment. She fought the 1v1 tournament, where the champion gets to meet the Queen. She was already wearing a gambeson, so she took a padded coif with a chainmail coif on top and wore it under her Kettle hat. Jungeun knew she was a great fighter, but she was smaller and not fleshy like the brutes she will face, so she focused on light armor for less weight and the kettle helm for better vision. They were all given wooden weapons, but all of which were different types such as one handed swords, longswords, axes and pole arms. Jungeun took a short sword and a round viking shield and prepared for her turn to fight.

The match had started, Jungeun walked out from the cage and got inside the the circle arena. People were cheering and waving their flags and food at the fighters. Jungeun wasnt very fond of the people, she wasnt here to up to them, and wanted this to get over with. She was first faced with a scumbag brigand who thinks he'll get an easy point. He turned to the crowd behind him and raised his weapons along with a shout that seemed to have hyped the audience. The man looked back at Jungeun with an ugly grin that Jungeun wanted to put out as soon as possible. The man screamed at Jungeun before rushing at the younger woman with both hands on his two handed sword. When the man came infront of her, he started smithing down while Jungeun had her shiel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter