End (2/2)

Last Christmas

Hand in hand, Kyuhyun led Jongwoon to a public park where a lake was frozen and became a huge ice skate rink. Many people were already ice skating when they arrived, some brought their own skates, some rented from a nearby service booth. Kyuhyun and Jongwoon also rented one for them. While Kyuhyun was struggling to just stand in place, Jongwoon on the other hand confidently skated and circled around the taller brunette. Noticing Kyuhyun's difficulty in balancing himself, Jongwoon raised his brow and asked teasingly.

 

"Kyuhyun, could it be that you don't know how to skate?"

"Yes, this is my first time doing this..."

"Seriously? And you still insisted that we do it?"

"Well, if my pathetic attempt can make you laugh and forget about him, then I'll insist on it time and time again."

 

Jongwoon stopped circling around the taller man. He looked up at Kyuhyun and saw nothing but sincerity in those warm brown eyes. Turning his back at Kyuhyun, Jongwoon skated away from the man and spoke up quietly to himself; "Just having you with me is enough to make me forget about him."

 

"Huh? Did you say something?"

"Nothing."

 

Jongwoon replied and spun around to smile at Kyuhyun.

.

.

.

"D-Don't let go of me!"

"I won't, I won't! Fighting! I know you can do it!"

 

Jongwoon happily cheered the man who clung on his arms firmly as if his life depends on him. Currently, he was helping Kyuhyun to learn how to skate at the edge of the rink. Because Kyuhyun was a complete beginner, Jongwoon had to teach him the most basic technique which was balancing yourself. Kyuhyun held on Jongwoon's arms while he tried to stand still. The way Kyuhyun's legs shaking like a newborn fawn made Jongwoon giggle uncontrollably. Kyuhyun pouted and sulkily took his hands off while awkwardly skating backward. Jongwoon laughed fondly and skated closer to the taller man. Kyuhyun quickly skated back again, this time a lot smoother but he didn't seem to realize it. On the other hand, Jongwoon immediately noticed it and he came up with a perfect plan to help Kyuhyun improve his skill.

 

"Alright, I won't bother you anymore. I'll move... far, far away from you."

 

With that said, Jongwoon skated away from Kyuhyun and stopped in the middle of the rink. He burst out laughing when he saw Kyuhyun staring at him with a look of a betrayed puppy. He almost felt bad for leaving Kyuhyun there, just almost. He truly wanted to help Kyuhyun even though the man might not get it. Jongwoon smiled playfully at Kyuhyun and extended his hand toward his direction.

 

"Kyuhyun!" Jongwoon shouted at him, "come here!"

"What!? No, you know I can't skate that far yet!"

"You can do it, I believe in you!"

 

Jongwoon smiled happily and waved his hand at Kyuhyun. By now, other people had turned their attention to the pair. Some kids and teenagers began to cheer loudly for Kyuhyun, causing the man to blush lightly. He glared at Jongwoon but the man just smiled innocently back at him. Jongwoon waved at Kyuhyun again while cheering along with the onlookers. With a slightly flushed face, Kyuhyun began to slowly skate forward to Jongwoon. His movement was hesitant at first, but he soon skated more confidently when he saw Jongwoon smiling warmly at him. Before long, he was able to skate at ease like other people. Kyuhyun genuinely smiled and laughed as he happily called out to Jongwoon.

 

"I did it! Jongwoon, I can skate now!"

"That's amazing! Now try skating to me here."

 

Kyuhyun nodded smugly and began to skate toward the shorter man. The closer he was to Jongwoon, the wider his smile was. However, his smile soon faded away when he was only a meter away from Jongwoon.

 

"Jongwoon! Move out! I don't know how to stop this thing!"

 

His warning came a bit too late. When Jongwoon realized what would happen, Kyuhyun had already crashed into him. Both men lost balance and fell to the frozen ground. Kyuhyun was quick enough to shield Jongwoon's head and back with his arms when they fell down so the man didn't suffer any injury. At the same time, Jongwoon held onto Kyuhyun's back with his dear life when they fell, so he was trapped under the man. As if they were under a spell, neither Kyuhyun nor Jongwoon looked away from one another. They stared at their own reflection in the other's eyes, captivated by the swirling emotions in there. After what seemed like a forever, Jongwoon was the first to break the sacred silence.

 

"K-Kyuhyun," Jongwoon said meekly, "y-your weight is crushing me, I c-can't breathe..."

"Oh," was Kyuhyun's only reply, before adding more, "oh! Sorry! Are you alright!?"

 

Jongwoon nodded while blushing heavily. He took Kyuhyun's hand and pulled himself up from the cold ice. His legs suddenly gave in and he slumped into Kyuhyun's embrace who held his waist protectively. Again, they stared into each other's eyes and were lost in them.

 

"Awww, lovebirds!"

"What a cute couple!"

"They even wear a matching scarf and gloves!"

"You two are so cute!"

"Look, they're in their own world!"

 

A chain of teasing cheers from onlookers caused Jongwoon and Kyuhyun to bolt apart in lightning speed, their faces equally red.

 

"I-I think that's enough for ice skating, right?" Jongwoon spoke up shyly.

"Y-Yeah, we should get going now." Kyuhyun wholeheartedly agreed.

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun hurried to skate to the edge of the rink and returned their rented skates, all the while the onlookers kept cheering playfully for them until they got out of the park.

 

**********************************

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun agreed to take a slow walk after their ice skating trip. They wandered around the lively city full of buildings decorated with Christmas decorations. Bright lights of red, green, and white could be seen everywhere, lightening the night with a festive atmosphere. Couples and families walked past Jongwoon and Kyuhyun who had their gloved hands clapped together, their fingers gently intertwining. They arrived at the town square where people were surrounding something. The duo joined the crowd in curiosity to see what happened. On a lifting stage stood a microphone stand, an electronic keyboard, and a swivel stool. A group of young men and women stood by the stage, one of the boys holding a transparent square box with him. One girl held a megaphone up and called everyone's attention to her.

 

"Hi! We're music students from SM college. Tonight, to celebrate the wonderful festival, we hold a charity concert where everyone can be a star! Jump up to the stage and sing your heart out! We accept all amount of donations and it'll be given to a local animal shelter without deducting any expenses!"

 

People were looking around hesitantly. No one stepped up onto the stage and the girl's smile began to falter a bit. Despite that, she didn't give up and continued to rouse people. Her friends also helped her by spreading out and getting passerby's attention. Sadly, no one was brave enough to step up there.

 

"Kyuhyun, do you know how to play electronic keyboard?"

"Enough to not embarrassing myself. Why?"

 

Jongwoon grinned brightly at Kyuhyun.

 

"Cause we're gonna be a star tonight!"

 

Jongwoon dragged Kyuhyun through the crowd to the stage. He dropped some bills in the donation box and nodded at the girl who smiled gratefully at him. Stepping onto the stage, Jongwoon pushed Kyuhyun to sit down in front of the instrument before picking up the microphone. While Kyuhyun was familiarizing himself with the instrument he hadn't played in a while, Jongwoon happily greeted the audience, gaining more attention from the passerby. Kyuhyun soon finished preparing himself. He looked up and asked Jongwoon through questioning gaze what song would they sing.

 

"Well, there is only one song that suits this occasion the most, don't you think?" Jongwoon said with a small smirk.

 

Kyuhyun immediately got what the shorter man meant. His graceful fingers began to dance on the white keys, starting a slow but joyful rhythm. Jongwoon nodded in approval at the man and began to sing.

 

 

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart, but the very next day, you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give to someone special."

 

 

"Please bear with me! I only remember the chorus!"

 

Jongwoon said jokingly causing the audience to laugh. Many people sang along with him or lively cheered him, attracting more people to the stage. At that moment, Jongwoon turned to smile at Kyuhyun for a short while before singing again.

 

 

"Last Christmas, I gave him my heart, but the very next day, he gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special."

 

 

Kyuhyun played the keyboard off-key for a moment. He didn't expect Jongwoon to suddenly change the lyric like that. Seeing Jongwoon smiling shyly at him, he beckoned the shorter man to come to him and gestured at the mic when Jongwoon came close enough. Nodding in understanding, Jongwoon held a mic for Kyuhyun to sing.

 

 

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart, but the very next day, you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special."

 

 

"Bear with me too! We're an incompetent duo who only remember the chorus!"

 

Kyuhyun also joked with the audience and got a positive response through a boom of laughter. Then, he looked up at Jongwoon and smirked.

 

 

"Last Christmas, I gave her my heart, but the very next day, she gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I'll give to someone special... to someone special... like you..."

 

 

Kyuhyun trailed off and ended the song while enjoying Jongwoon's dumbstruck and flustered expression. Starting to have fun himself, he seized this chance to play the next melody, a faster and more joyful one, and began to sing.

 

 

"Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, Prospero año y felicidad... Jongwoon!"

 

 

Kyuhyun gave a clue to Jongwoon who, despite being flustered, seamlessly continued the song from Kyuhyun's part.

 

 

"Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, Prospero año y felicidad... Kyuhyun!"

"I want to wish you a merry Christmas. I want to wish you a merry Christmas. I want to wish you a merry Christmas, from the bottom of my heart... Jongwoon!"

"I want to wish you a merry Christmas. I want to wish you a merry Christmas. I want to wish you a merry Christmas, from the bottom of my heart..."

 

 

Not only did Jongwoon sing, but he also danced along with the rhythm. Though his moves were a bit weird and caused people to chuckle, to Kyuhyun, it was the most adorable thing he had ever seen in his life. Soon Jongwoon finished his questionable movements called dance and the song ended. The audience quieted down to see what songs would they sing next. Even Kyuhyun also quieted down and waited for Jongwoon. Said man closed his eyes and took a deep breath as if to prepare himself. Then, Jongwoon opened his mouth and sang. And the audience was stunned. And Kyuhyun forgot how to breathe.

 

 

"Silent night... Holy night...

All is calm... All is bright...

'Round yon ... Mother and child...

Holy infant so... Tender and mild...

Sleep... in heavenly... peace...

Sleep... in heavenly peace...

Sleep... in heavenly... peace..."

 

 

From the beginning to the end, everything became sacredly quiet. Kyuhyun was completely focused on Jongwoon so he forgot to play the keyboard. The audience was mesmerized by Jongwoon's charming voice so no one dared to utter any sounds. Even the cars, the buildings, the sky, and the night seemed to quiet down to listen to Jongwoon. The man who captivated everyone with his voice slowly opened his eyes. Then, he smiled tenderly at the audience below the stage.

 

"Thank you for coming to our mini concert! As you can see, anyone can be a star tonight just like me and my friend here. So, don't be shy to give this a try! You get to enjoy yourself and save animals at the same time. There is no better deal than this!"

 

With that said, Jongwoon turned to Kyuhyun to see if he wanted to say something. However, the man in question still sat in place with an awestruck look on his face, causing Jongwoon to giggle in adoration.

 

"Come on Kyuhyun, our concert has long ended! And what's it with that look!?"

"I think I have fallen in love."

 

Kyuhyun's unexpected answer caused Jongwoon to blush madly. Moreover, he hadn't turned off the mic yet so basically everyone in there heard Kyuhyun's confession. Whistles and cheers roared up from the audience, including the teenagers who were the staff. Jongwoon was so embarrassed that he could dig a hole and jumped in there himself. However, Kyuhyun still sat in place staring dreamily at him. In the end, Jongwoon had to drag Kyuhyun off the stage after returning the mic to its stand. The audience's cheering was so loud that he still heard it even after walking far away. Despite all of that, Kyuhyun somehow hadn't gotten out of his trance yet. He kept staring at Jongwoon all the time they slowly getting away from the town square.

 

**********************************

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun finally escaped the enthusiastic audience. Right now, they stood in front of a giant Christmas tree belonging to some famous hotel. Glowing decorative lights on the tree bathed everything below it with a gentle hue of pale gold. Few couples and families were scattered around the tree taking photos with it. Jongwoon dragged Kyuhyun to a corner with no one in sight before turning to face the man.

 

"Seriously Kyuhyun, why did you say that at the square!"

"Why? Well, because I fall in love with you?"

 

Kyuhyun answered it with such sincerity and honesty that Jongwoon was rendered speechless, red and speechless. He struggled to say anything due to being embarrassed but eventually found his voice again.

 

"But how...? We didn't know each other that much. How did you fall in love with me and how can you say that so confidently?"

"I don't know. It sort of just happened, I guess? I mean, I looked at you back there and I suddenly thought that I want to be with you forever. So, yeah, I have somehow fallen in love with you."

"But we just met tonight! Hell, it hadn't been even half a day!"

"Does time really matter with love though? I dated my ex-girlfriend for seven months but she only thought of me as a walking atm. Who knows, we might love each other until our last breath despite knowing one another for six hours only."

 

Kyuhyun stepped closer to Jongwoon.

 

"Does my feeling bother you?"

"No... It's just..."

 

Kyuhyun took a step closer to Jongwoon.

 

"Do you hate me then?"

"No! Definitely not! But..."

 

Kyuhyun took yet another step closer to Jongwoon.

 

"You don't trust me?"

"No, I trust you, I'm at least confident that I can trust you more than my jerk ex. Stil..."

 

Kyuhyun took one last step. Now he was standing in front of Jongwoon with only a small gap between them. He didn't press the man but waited patiently. Jongwoon went quiet for a while. Not once did he look up at Kyuhyun. After ten minutes or so, Jongwoon finally looked up and stared at Kyuhyun with fearful eyes.

 

"Kyuhyun... It's not that I don't like you or don't trust you... but... what if you change...? My ex used to say all the time that he loved me, yet he betrayed me without hesitation. I've known him for four years, Kyuhyun, four years but he still did that to me. What about you? I barely know you and you barely know me. How can I know that you won't change too...?"

 

With that said, Jongwoon cast his eyes down because he didn't want to see what kind of emotion was shown on Kyuhyun's face. His heart skipped a beat in panic when two fingers suddenly held his chin and gently lifted his face up. Staring into Kyuhyun's warm brown eyes, Jongwoon saw nothing but sincerity in them.

 

"People always change, Jongwoon. Those who say that they don't change are just lying to themselves. We change all the time but it doesn't mean that the change has to be a negative one. I can say with certainty that I'll definitely change someday, but my change will be a positive one. Jongwoon, I have a feeling that my love for you will change, as in I'll fall for you more and more each passing day. That's why, Kim Jongwoon, I'm seriously in love with you and I hope that you'll give me an honor to celebrate the rest of my Christmas by your side, that tonight won't be our last Christmas."

 

Again, Jongwoon went quiet but this time he didn't avoid Kyuhyun's eyes. He reached out to hold Kyuhyun's larger hand, hesitantly at first, but more confidently when the man showed no sign of taking his hand out. He locked their fingers together and stared at their joined hand for a second before speaking up; "To be honest, I'm still scared about this, about our future, but I must say, I don't want tonight to be our last Christmas too."

 

 

"That's why- / So you-"

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun stared at each other.

 

"You first, / You first,"

 

Blinking at each other, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun burst out laughing at the same time.

 

"Well," Jongwoon spoke up after shedding his laughing tears, "I guess we don't have to say anything now, knowing that we share the same sentiment?"

 

 

Kyuhyun nodded eagerly with a huge grin on his face. Then, both men slowly closed the gap between their faces. Kyuhyun's lips gingerly landed on Jongwoon's whose eyelids fluttering shut. At first, Kyuhyun thought that kissing a man would bother him, hell, he had never thought that there would be a day when he wanted to kiss a man. But after their lips touched, after he knew how soft and tender Jongwoon's lips were, Kyuhyun knew that he had fallen into the abyss called 'love' and he would never be able to get back up, not ever think about climbing back up. He was a man in love at Jongwoon's mercy and he wholeheartedly hoped that Jongwoon would feel the same. Unable to hold back his b affection, Kyuhyun's lips moved bolder and hungrier surprising both Jongwoon and Kyuhyun himself. He gently bit the luscious bottom lip, begging for permission to explore more. His permission came in a form of Jongwoon's sweet moan and shyly opening mouth. Kyuhyun dove in without hesitation and impatiently explored every nook and cranny. He loved Jongwoon. He wanted to take everything belonging to Jongwoon.

 

So he did.

 

By the time Kyuhyun broke the kiss, Jongwoon was already on the verge of fainting from overwhelming sensation. He panted heavily and leaned on Kyuhyun for support, not daring to trust his jelly legs that might give in at any moment. His face flushed red and his heart jumped crazily in his chest. In all those four years he had been in a relationship with his jerk ex, never before had he felt this... amazing... after a kiss. To think that he used to believe that his ex was a great kisser, Jongwoon was really ashamed of his past self's poor standard.

 

"Sorry," Kyuhyun said guiltily while holding Jongwoon close to him protectively, "was that too intent for a first kiss?"

"Yes, I mean, no, I mean, yes, it's a bit too hot but I don't mind it, but, like, I might have to take some time, you know, getting used to it?"

 

Jongwoon wanted to punch himself for that stupid reply. Apparently, Kyuhyun's kiss was too much for his brain to handle. Well, if he got to see that handsome smirk again then he didn't mind being seen as a fool. Kyuhyun chuckled and brushed his thumb along Jongwoon's swelling bottom lip, causing the shorter man to almost melting to the ground.

 

"How about we take it slow for now?"

"Y-Yes!"

 

Again, Jongwoon wanted to punch himself for his dumb reaction. And he might have done that if Kyuhyun hadn't leaned in and shut his brain with that sweet kiss. He decided to keep the punch for other times. For now, he wanted to enjoy Kyuhyun's kiss as much as possible and hoped that his brain wouldn't shut down first in the process...

 

 

 

A sound of a ringing bell rang up from somewhere, signaling the end of Christmas Day. White snows silently descended from the night sky. They gently landed on Jongwoon and Kyuhyun who was kissing under the giant Christman tree as if to bless the beginning of their new chapter in life.

 

*****************************************************************

 

One year later...

 

 

"Kyu! Do you remember this Christmas tree?"

"How could I not? It's where we had our first kiss after all."

 

Jongwoon was glowing with joy after hearing that. He craned his neck up to look at a giant tree decorated in colorful lights. One year ago, he was standing under this very tree and wondered if he should trust Kyuhyun or not. Looking back at it now, he was really happy that he took the chance. It ended up being the best decision he had ever made. They had been in a relationship for one year now. Contrary to his prior worry, their love showed no sign of weakening, not at all. Sure, there were times when they fought or their opinions crashed, but they got over it all in the end and fell in love with their partner more and more each passing day.

 

 

"Sigh, last Christmas was so wonderful... I doubt any Christmas from now on could top that..." Jongwoon said dazedly.

"Not even this Christmas?" Kyuhyun asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, it's officially our first Christmas together as a couple so of course it's amazing, but it still can't beat last Christmas." Jongwoon shrugged.

"Then, what if I tell you that I can make this Christmas far better than the last one?" Kyuhyun smirked.

"How..."

 

 

Jongwoon couldn't finish his sentence because of what he saw. Kyuhyun got down on his knee and took out a small sapphire-colored box from his coat. Opening it, he took out a beautiful ring and carefully held it in his hand. He looked up at Jongwoon and smiled warmly.

 

"Woonie, will you marry me?"

"Of-of course I will!"

 

Kyuhyun stood up and put the ring on his (now) fiance's left ring finger. Jongwoon was on the verge of crying with tears b in his eyes so Kyuhyun pulled him into his arms to comfort the man. He laughed softly as he patted his beloved finance's back hoping to cheer him up.

 

"Come on Woonie! You aren't going to start this Christmas with tears, right?"

"I-I'm not," Jongwoon tried his hardest to hold back a sob, "I'm happy, Kyu, thank you."

"Shh... Don't cry. Smile. Smile and promise me that we'll celebrate the next Christmas and every one after that together."

"Yes! Yes, I promise!"

 

Jongwoon brushed tears off his eyes and gave Kyuhyun the most beautiful smile he could manage. Kyuhyun's smile completely mirrored all love and affection in Jongwoon's one. They laughed and leaned in to kiss, they pulled away and laughed, before leaning in to kiss again. Somewhere far off in the distance, a soft melody of a familiar song floated along with the wind to where the couple was exchanging their kiss of a vow, a familiar song that made Jongwoon and Kyuhyun burst out laughing during the kiss.

 

 

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart

But the very next day you gave it away.

This year, to save me from tears

I'll give it to someone special."

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Author's note: Here is the link to the vid that inspired me to write this fic KRY Singing Xmas songs  Btw, no fic next week cuz I'll be busy watching Beyond the Super Show~ See me and my kyusung fluff fic again in June!