01: Reverie

Royal Sonata
Please log in to read the full chapter

Royal Sonata

A BaekhyunxOC Fanfic

 

PLEASE READ. Author's IMPORTANT note: Hi! Here's chapter 1 for you, dear readers. There has been a change in the plot. I am writing this story with my sister now and we've decided to change things about Baekhyun's character. The ghost singer is out of the picture because my sister doesn't really like the idea. I also realized that the story will be too angsty if I follow through with it. My sis is more creative than me so I'll let her help me out on the plot. Hope it doesn't bother you. That's about it. Thank you for subbing.

CHAPTER I

“Reverie” By Baek_Bites

 

 

A tune. Adelaide knows that tune quite well. She rolls out of bed rather clumsily and stands in a daze in the middle of the room, her long curly hair sticking everywhere. When she happens to glance in the mirror and sees her reflection, her lips curl into an amused smile. “Not so graceful anymore, are we?” she chimes.

The funky sound of the piano keys stops. “Adee! Good morning!”

 Adelaide sees her morning guest waving with an enthusiastic smile. Her living room has never been so neat and she cannot help but look at it in awe. “How can I possibly thank you for keeping an eye on me and my little home here, Aunt Ji-woo?” Adelaide spots the beautiful Azalea flowers on top of a grand piano. Her smile widens.

“You keep teaching your little cousins how to sing. That’s all your old aunt is asking of you, sweetie,” Ji-woo replies kindly, twiddling the keys of the familiar piano. She always sports a sincere smile on her face that Adelaide has grew accustomed with.

“I can do that,” the younger answers proudly. They share a morning tea together, a ritual, which Adelaide personally enjoys. She loves hearing stories from her aunt, the only sister of her late mother, who is now her known family in Gwangyol, together with her children. They met for the first time a year ago, after she left Ireland for good. The woman had so many questions and Adelaide was forced to talk for longer hours to explain her situation. She knows Korean from her mother’s teaching but soon realized she should learn more to be quicker in communicating with her new found family. Adelaide had to elaborate that her father was beyond disappointed about her departure. The news definitely spread like wildfire in Athlone. Some people were concerned especially those who grew to befriend the princess. Others were mere gossipers dressed in royal attire. Adelaide despises them the most. After all, it is them who questioned the loyalty of her mother and the credibility of her position as the King’s wife. It appalls Adelaide how they can smile at her in the palace halls when they deliberately ask for her and her mother’s exile when she was young and succeeded, if not for the intervention of her father. The thought always brings her to a depressing mood.

Despite all the ruckus about her leave, Adelaide has made up her mind to go through the plan. She has promised herself to strive for what she believes is right and be the person she always dreamed to be.  Ji-woo’s genuine concern seem to have comfort Adelaide’s anxiety; from living her whole life in Athlone as a royalty, with people not leaving her side all day, to suddenly flying back to South Korea all by herself to have the freedom she yearns. For a princess like her, Adelaide lived in the comforts of the royal court with everything she needs readily available. When she came to the countryside, the grandiose palace is replaced by a rustic bungalow, which her mother left in her name. At times, Adelaide wonders if her mom ever thought about her living there one day.

She is not complaining though. She has expected a big shift in things. If anything, she is always willing to learn and get herself involve in adventures because that is her nature. The prim-and-proper act as a royalty bores her so much. She is wild, untamed—definitely not princess-y.

“Say. What do you think about berry picking today?” Ji-woo asks excitedly. She has been working in the farm all her life but her enthusiasm about plants and animals does not wane even as years go by. Adelaide is not the one to decline. She thinks ahead. After the piano class with her little cousins, they will definitely enjoy the spring breeze and go on a hike for some good ole berries.

In some ways, Gwangyol reminds Adelaide of her home in Athlone. The vast fields of greens, the towering trees, the fresh air, the blossoming mountains and the free-roaming animals. Her new home reminds her of the good and serene in Athlone.

What’s different though is the people. Athlone has nothing more to offer but few real hearts and passionate souls. Most dwellers are after the earthly things. Gwangyol is the complete opposite. The folks are content living along with the blessing of nature. Her mother was right. The place is heavenly.

Adelaide walks carefully through the bushes, following her two little cousins, Jisoo and Jiyoung, that are occupied picking the best berry they see. Their sweet, innocent laughter fill the air. Adelaide momentarily tears hers eyes from the joyful view and watches the fluffy clouds above them. Once again, she falls in love with the weather. Simple thing for others but to a princess who has always stayed inside the four walls

Please log in to read the full chapter