Chapter 02

Fellas, I think I Killed a God

The phone rings seemingly forever before it’s picked up. 

‘Nae, hyung, did you get home safely?’ 

‘Home?’ Baekhyun asks. 

There is an exasperated sigh on the other side of the line. ‘Hyung, where are you? I told you! I told you to go straight home! Straight! Home!’

Baekhyun feels indignant. ‘Exactly, I was going straight home. Straight. No turns, no curves. And then… and then… like… things happened.’

‘what things? Hyung?? WHAT THINGS? We left the pub 2 hours ago? Where are you even?’

‘I’m somewhere…in the middle…of.. in the middle of the road that takes me straight home. No turns, no curves’ he repeats. 

‘Well that’s ing helpful,’

Baekhyun can hear some muffled mutters on the other side on the other side of the line and what sounds like an angry exchange. Chanyeol’s voice comes on the line, ‘Baekhyun where are you man? I can come get you but you have to help me out here. Jongin says something happened?’

Baekhyun looks down at the ground at the prone figure laying on the ground. The cigarette has puttered off in the snow and the streets seem darker than ever. Baekhyun thinks of everything that just happened, the flick of the finger, the pain radiating from his back, the strength of the small man pinning him against the wall.

He takes a deep breath. ‘Fellas. Fellas, I think I killed a god.’



 

Jongin is shaking his head and Chanyeol is patting Jongin’s arm as if to comfort him as they look down at them. Baekhyun squats sadly next to the unconscious figure laying on the floor. He had put his own coat over the guy but it doesn’t make any difference to how cold his skin is. Baekhyun is decidedly sober now and definitely worried. Chanyeol bends down to listen to the guys breath and check his pulse. He does his med student thing, poking at his neck and prying open his eyelids and aiming his phone backlight at them.

‘His pulse his ridiculously fast but he is definitely normal.’ Chanyeol looks up at him. ‘I think he is just knocked out.’ 

Jongin breathes an audible sigh of relief. ‘You want to tell us how you managed this Baekhyun?’ 

‘Um… No, I don’t think so.’ Now that he is not drunk anymore he really wishes he took the turns and the curves instead of wanting to go straight home. 

‘Does the guy have any ID on him? Maybe he goes to our uni too and lives close by.’ Chanyeol nods in agreement with Jongin and reaches into the guys pockets. 

‘No use.’ Baekhyun says. ‘He has nothing on him’

‘Nothing? You mean no money, no ID. nothing?’

“Nothing.’

‘,’ Jongin takes a few careful steps back. ‘. What if he is from the mafia or something?’ 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. ‘You are just being ridiculous now.’

‘Well you called us and told us that you killed a god. A ing god. How is the mafia more ridiculous than that?”

Baekhyun blinks. His brain is still slow but for some reason he feels reluctant to tell his friends about the finger flick thing and the superhuman strength. He isn’t really sure whether he imagined all of that either but his tailbone still hurts, so maybe some of it was true. 

Chanyeol stands up. ‘Ok, it’s like 3 in the morning now and we can’t keep this guy on the pavement till he wakes up, he is going to freeze here. Baekhyun you have to take him home.’

‘Why do I have to take him home!!????’

‘Uh because you made him this way?’ Jongin says, already walking towards the car and making space in the back for the guy. 

‘No! you take him home! If he turns out to be an axe murderer and tries to kill you at least Chanyeol has the necessary skills to save you. I am too young and beautiful to die in my cheap student housing alone.’

Chanyeol shakes his head. ‘I'm this close to losing it with you Bro. Now grab his feet and help me carry him.’ 

Baekhyun touches the prone guy very nervously from the tips of his fingers and then his palm and springs away waiting for a reaction. Nothing happens. 

Jongin rolls his eyes at him. 

‘Is there something you are not telling us?’ He asks, as they drive away with the guy stuffed haphazardly in the back seat with Chanyeol’s textbooks and Jongin’s dance shoes and their assorted smelly socks and half eaten snacks. There is always something Baekhyun is not telling them. 

Baekhyun thinks of the kiss and the scary red flush on the guy’s skin and gulps. 

‘Nope. Nope.’ he says blithely.