It's Quiet

Something I'm Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerim and Yeojin broke up a month ago before all of this happened. Before all hell broke loose. When the news said that a virus started to spread, it didn't alarm Yeojin, and Hyejoo. They thought it was just some ordinary disease that scientists will find a cure soon, but when the show that they were watching was cut off with a 'breaking news' they started to get alarmed. 

 

They showed footage of people acting like wild animals trying to claw and bite on other people's flesh, it almost seemed like they aren't humans any more. With their flesh rotting and almost falling off of their bones, it sent shivers down Yeojin and Hyejoo's spine. They weren't expecting a virus like this to happen on a Saturday morning. 

 

No adult was with them, Sooyoung was out working at the office, Haseul was at the hospital that she was working in and they didn't even know where Vivi was. She left to get groceries but she hasn't came back yet and hell, they don't ing know where Hyunjin went. 

 

Seeing what the virus was doing to the people outside, it didn't take long for Yeojin and Hyejoo to understand what it is. They've watched too many zombie movies to identify that this is a zombie apocalypse, God knows how excited Hyejoo and Chaewon would be for this news but shivering Hyejoo says otherwise. 

 

The door suddenly busted open, alarming Yeojin and Hyejoo. The taller girl quickly went to the kitchen to get a knife as Yeojin ducked down in front of the couch. The door slammed shut and they heard the lock clicking. No zombie can do that, right?

 

Yeojin suddenly stood up when she heard hurried footsteps coming in, "HEY! LOCK THE BACK DOOR AND TAKE ANY WEAPON YOU WANT. I DON'T CARE IF HASEUL UNNIE DOESN'T LET YOU, YOUR CHAOTIC BEHAVIOR IS NEEDED RIGHT NOW" 

 

Hyunjin frantically says as Yeojin nodded, she was so happy to see that Hyunjin is still alive and well, but she's afraid that Hyunjin can't protect them longer. "Holy , I thought you were a zombie!" Hyejoo tightly gripped the knife that she took from the kitchen as she stood in front of the doorway. "I almost became one" 

 

What Hyunjin said made Hyejoo feel scared. She's happy to see Hyunjin but Chaewon. God, she needs Chaewon. Her brain started to think of scenarios where Chaewon doesn't survive and she absolutely hates herself for thinking that Chaewon wouldn't survive. She's Park Chaewon! Hyejoo knows she'll survive... right?! 

 

"I know what you're thinking and we're going to take Chaewon, I called her earlier and she locked herself up in her house. I don't know where her parents are but she said that they haven't come back yet. Chances of them still being alive is.. 50" 

 

Hyejoo's eyes visibly shook, she doesn't like the idea of Chaewon being alone, locked up in her house when the outside world is going nuts with zombies running around. If this is a video game she would've enjoyed it but it's real life, no restart button was going to pop up if one of them dies. 

 

"Don't worry, we'll fetch Chaewon and we'll get her out of her house safely" Hyunjin pats Hyejoo's shoulder to reassure her that Chaewon's going to be alright. Yeojin appeared in the doorway, carrying a bag behind her while dragging the shotgun that was almost bigger than her. 

 

As much as Hyunjin wanted to laugh at how small Yeojin looked with the shotgun, she didn't want to joke around at a time like this. Maybe some other time when all of her friends are gathered and are safe with them. "The bag is filled with a ton of things that we could use as a weapon. I don't know if dad would be pleased to know that I know where her guns are stored" 

 

Yeojin offered Hyunjin the shotgun as Hyejoo took the bag from her. "I'll get another bag.. for food" 

 

"This isn't a damn camping trip, Yeojin. We don't need food for now, we'll come back here shortly after." Hyunjin said sternly as she pulled Yeojin back before she could even step away. 

 

The smallest of the three was about to protest when her phone started to vibrate and ring inside her pocket. She took it out and accepted the call without even reading the caller id. 

 

"Yeojin! Oh thank God! Where are you?? Who are you with?? Tell me you're ok??" Haseul's voice was what she heard from the other side. As she expected, Haseul would be the first one to call and ask about her safety. 

 

Yeojin managed to let out a chuckle as she heard Haseul panicking. "I'm alright, not bitten by any hungry zombie... yet. I'm with Hyunjin and Hyejoo, we're still at home. Are you coming home?" 

 

There was silence on the other end, Yeojin started to worry because it was too silent for Yeojin. She let out the breath that she didn't know she was holding in when she heard Haseul speak again. 

 

"I honestly.. i don't know if I'll ever get home. If I get to reach Sooyoung I might ask her to fetch me quickly. Jinsoul isn't picking up her phone and Vivi.. I don't know about Vivi and I'm ing scared" Yeojin was taken a back when she heard Haseul curse, it was the first time she ever heard Haseul curse. 

 

She didn't dare make a joke about it because she's sure that Haseul is not in the mood to listen to her jokes. Hyunjin suddenly took the phone from her and put it on speaker. "Haseul! Where are you?? We can come over and fetch you while we're out" 

 

"Out?? What do you mean?? You guys are NOT going out of that house, alright?! Stay there and lock the damn doors, never let anyone in unless it's someone you know!" 

 

"But—" 

 

"Hyunjin. Just listen." 

 

The three of them shared a look, a look that says "Sorry, we're not following you this time" 

 

Hyunjin sighs, "Alright. Just.. please come home. I know that patients are coming to the hospital but we got nothing to do! YOU have no choice but to let those people get infected. We don't have a cure and you know that, Haseul!" 

 

They heard Haseul sigh on the other line, "I know. I just.. I don't know how to get home with all of those things outside. We've pushed all the drawers and shelves against all of the doors inside this damn building and we got no doors left to use to escape" 

 

Hyejoo usually doesn't react to a lot of things but this.. this is something that is worthy of her reaction. Her eyes were shaking and her brows were almost inches away from touching each other. She doesn't like the fact that Haseul is stuck inside a hospital with nowhere to go. 

 

Yeojin and Hyunjin looked at her as if they both heard what was going on inside her mind at the moment. Hyunjin nodded towards Hyejoo before speaking into the phone. "We'll try and call Jungeun unnie. If I remember right, she said she doesn't have work on Saturdays. Don't worry unnie, we'll get you home" 

 

They didn't even hear any response from Haseul when the call suddenly ended. Hyunjin looked up at Yeojin and she doesn't want to know what was going on inside the younger girl's head. Her face had no trace of happiness on it. 

 

Seeing Yeojin without a smirk or a smug smile didn't sit right with Hyunjin, the same goes with Hyejoo. "It's alright, she'll be fine. I know she will" 

 

The oldest of the three gave Yeojin her phone back. She fetched for her own phone and started dialling Jungeun. While listening to the ringing of Hyunjin's phone, Yeojin's phone started to ring loudly. It startled her, she didn't expect another call after Haseul's. 

 

"Choerry-yah💜" 

 

 

How could she forget about Yerim? Choi Yerim, her best friend and ex girlfriend. How can Yeojin be so distracted that she totally forgot that Yerim existed. She didn't stare long at her phone and picked up the call. 

 

She expected to hear Yerim's cheerful voice saying, "Hi Yeojinie!!!" but she only heard a sharp gasp from the other line, making her confused. Hyejoo took notice of this and turned to her, "Who's that??" 

 

"Yerim, but she's not talking..."

 

As if on cue, Hyunjin's phone stopped ringing and the robotic voice was what she heard. Jungeun's phone was off and Hyunjin can't believe that she couldn't reach Jungeun at this time. How the did this happen in the span of an hour?? 

 

"Damn it!!" Hyunjin aggressively ran her fingers through her red hair. "Why isn't she picking up?? Last time I checked she was always on her phone!!" Hyunjin is pissed and annoyed, where the was Jungeun when they needed her the most?? 

 

"Y-yeojin" Yeojin sighs when she heard Yerim's weak voice on the other line, this was new. Yerim sounded like she was tired and it was alarming. "Yerim! God, are you ok?? What's up, why did you call??" 

 

"Come over." 

 

Yeojin's eyes widened, come over?? In the middle of a zombie apocalypse?? Has Yerim gone insane?? "What the heck are you on?! Choi Yerim, do you hear yourself?? We're in the middle of a ing apocalypse and you want us to come over?!" 

 

Hyejoo was enraged as she took the phone from Yeojin. This was not the time to hang out. 

 

They heard Yerim chuckle on the other line. 

 

"I need help" 

 

----


 

Yeojin absolutely didn't know that Hyunjin could drive. She didn't drive properly but they made it into Yerim's neighborhood. Hyunjin didn't know that she could drive too, it was probably because of the events that's currently happening around them. 

 

Hyunjin suddenly felt the need to protect whoever she's with. Haseul told them not to leave the house but, it's Yerim.. Hyunjin has a soft spot for Yerim. The girl is literally like her younger sister and the fact that Hyejoo and Yeojin looked at her with those puppy eyes. She couldn't say no. 

 

It's a part of her plan too though, Chaewon and Heejin's house is around here somewhere and she knows this because Heejin is literally her best friend and they always hang out in Chaewon's house. 

 

The whole neighborhood was trashed. Bodies (Hopefully dead) scattered and blood splatters were everywhere. The neighborhood screams "Zombie apocalypse" and if the walking dead series was scary, then this was on another level. 

 

Hyunjin looked around first to try and see if there were any zombies roaming the area. It was funny. Since Hyunjin literally forgot how to use the break, she slammed the car against a house and the sound was so loud that it could attract unwanted attention from any walker. 

 

When Hyunjin opened the door, there's one, one crawling zombie beside the car door. It caught Hyunjin's leg, she internally panicked. She thought that shooting it wasn't necessary because she thought that shaking it off her leg is enough. She was proven wrong when the zombie didn't budge, it was inches away from biting her when Hyejoo threw a knife at it, piercing it's head. 

 

Hyunjin sighed as she finally got to shake the zombie's hand off of her leg. She quickly got out and held the shotgun tight, trying to look for any zombie that was brave enough to walk towards them but no zombie did. 

 

Hyejoo and Yeojin went out of the car. Yeojin didn't waste any more time and dashed towards Yerim's house across the street. The door wasn't open but it isn't locked either. Yeojin held onto the knob, turning it slowly when Hyejoo pulled her away. 

 

"What the heck! Why??" 

 

"We don't know if there's a zombie in there, ! Can't you be careful with things like these??" 

 

Yeojin rolled her eyes at Hyejoo's scolding. This was actually the first time that Hyejoo scolded her, it was new and weird, but she didn't care. She knew for a fact that Yerim's house doesn't have any zombies.. yet. It's just a guess because how else was Yerim able to call her? 

 

Hyunjin was still across the street, standing beside the almost wrecked car as she signaled for the two of them to get on with it. Hyunjin has to find Heejin and Chaewon. It doesn't matter if she encounters a dozen zombies, she just needs to find those two and she needs to find them quick. 

 

Hyejoo sighs as she turns her attention back to the knob. She holds it firmly before slowly opening it, no signs of zombies walking around yet. It was also awfully quiet inside. Yerim's house used to be lively, but a lively house also couldn't survive an apocalypse, Hyejoo quesses. 

 

"I'll go first, stick close to me and try to contact Yerim without making a sound. We don't want no zombie to come and surprise us when we're the ones doing a surprise visit" 

 

Hyejoo whispers as she slowly steps inside, careful not to make a sound whenever her shoes hit the wooden floor. "Ask her where she is. We need to see her ASAP" 

 

Yeojin didn't respond and just frowned at her phone. "She's not responding... do you think her phone died??" 

 

"I think that.. her phone isn't the only thing that died'' Hyejoo answered. When Yeojin didn't respond, Hyejoo suddenly realized that what she said was a bit too much. She didn't know that she could unconsciously say something like that, she swore she didn't mean to say that to Yeojin. 

 

"What the hell is your problem, really?" 

 

Hyejoo looked back at Yeojin with an apologetic look. "Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that, I really didn't!—"

 

"Whatever." 

 

Yeojin then didn't care if a zombie was in the house, she went upstairs to check inside Yerim's bedroom. The door is closed and she puts her ear against the door to try and see if she hears anyone inside.

 

It took her awhile before realizing that it was too quiet. Everything was. It was too quiet and she hated it. 

 

She held onto the door knob and slowly turned it. She pushed it open and waited for something to happen. There was no sound but she saw Yerim leaning against the wall. Her eyes closed, her purple sweater looked like it was dipped in a bucket of blood. 

 

Yeojin hated to see Yerim look like that, she looked so... weak. "Yerim!" She ran towards her and kneeled beside her, not knowing what to do. Her eyes were still closed and Yeojin doesn't know if she'd shake Yerim to see if she'd wake up or if she'd cry and just accept the fact that Hyejoo.. might be right. 

 

She couldn't do any of those except for the crying part. She didn't have the strength to check Yerim's body, and she absolutely doesn't want to believe in what Hyejoo said. Shortly after, Hyejoo came into the room, breathing heavily. 

 

"Yeojin, what—" 

 

Hyejoo immediately shuts , pressing her lips together into a thin line. Regret suddenly washing over her. Yerim was leaning against the wall with her eyes closed as Yeojin cried beside her. ".. Yerim.. oh no.. no no no no.." Hyejoo mumbled. 

 

She fought her tears from falling but she wasn't strong enough to fight it. She fell to her knees as she covered with both her hands. 

 

Everything is too quiet and Yeojin and Hyejoo absolutely despised it. Yeojin was silently crying when she felt a hand softly land on her head. It was warm, filled with emotions and... it was Yerim's. 

 

She knows for sure that it was Yerim's. Yeojin slowly looked up and was greeted with Yerim's sweet, yet, tired and weak smile. "You came.." The older girl mumbled. Hyejoo on the other side of the room looks at the both of them before rushing towards Yerim. 

 

"You're alive!" 

 

Yerim managed to let out a chuckle, "Of course I am! How else was I able to call Yeojin?" 

 

"I highkey thought you were gone! like forever!" Yeojin shook Yerim's arm as she looked up at Yerim with a frown. Worry written all over her face. 

 

"... that's soon" 

 

Yerim slightly lifted up her purple sweater, the side of her stomach has an open wound

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter