Chapter 2

The Sound Of Your Voice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as she was met with light snores and slowed breathing from the girl on the other side of the line, Irene whispered a gentle goodnight and hung up, marking it her last call for the day.

 

Now that the day had ended and her off day was coming up next, her thoughts started to drift towards what the next day might have in store for her. Irene wasn’t someone who headed outside a lot unless she really needed to, for it was definitely more convenient for her to just order a meal in or arrange for delivery for any groceries she needed in the comfort of her home. Plus, she absolutely enjoyed the serenity and comfort of staying at home being a homebody, though, some things were better experienced out there, like having her favourite tteokbokki along with some delicious malatang against the cool weather, or having the autumn breeze caressing her face on warmer days while she took a walk in the park. She would probably decide on the line up tomorrow itself since she was an early riser anyway.


And right on cue, a familiar chime resounded against the walls of her room; prompting a familiar routine Irene’s used to by now as she picked up her phone to greet her caller.


“ Ready to get your aging body rested tomorrow, Oldie? Don’t miss me too much!”

Irene could only laugh at the shameless remark.

“ Yeah sure, you little Squirt! Anyway, if anyone receives a call from a person named Seulgi who is looking for me, do schedule a callback for me, she has a specific request I’m handling but at a non-premium rate for now. Let Sooyeong know the same too please.”

“ Ooh, sounds ! Will surely do, hehe! Enjoy your day off, Oldie! ”

“ Have fun tonight and try to catch some shut eye if there are no calls okay?”

Irene chuckled while nagging a little, for Yerim was one of the younger members in their team and whom she saw and cared for like a younger sister along with Joy.

“ Alright gramps, now shoo and have a good night’s rest or your bones will start creaking already!”


The younger girl teased, not passing up on any chance to throw in a playful diss at Irene’s age; something that Irene had grown accustomed to when they both found out she was almost a decade older than the little devil.

“ Ugh, you’re such a rascal! I’m hanging up now, bye Squirt.”


Irene scoffed playfully and hung up, but not before the younger girl playfully blew raspberry at her on the other side of the line.

 

Irene stood up from her workstation and stretched herself, feeling really accomplished for the day as she turned off her Braille reader and prepared to wind down for the night. Irene ran her hands through her hair as she headed to the kitchen to wash up and grab her favourite warm cup of cocoa before basking in the ambience of her home in the cool autumn weather. She nestled into the comfort of her bed; cocooning herself with lavender scented sheets while her thoughts drifted towards the conversation she had earlier with a certain peculiar and interesting client.

 

It was a first for her, meeting a client like Seulgi who undauntedly would want to commit to the most expensive package they had without hesitance albeit after a first call. Yet, Irene was proud of herself — that she managed to prioritise her integrity over an easy sale which could have tide her over the next quarter of the year in addition to her existing clientele. Maybe it was because she has had her fair share of meeting people who merely took advantage of others who may not know better; which she had hoped that people would be mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter