escape

escape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein sighed, letting her hand drop to her side. 

What am I thinking?

Her other hand combed through her hair as she thought.

Wheein was standing outside Yongsun’s apartment. She barely knew how she ended up there. A simple handful of impulsive decisions and frustrations brought her to her doorstep.

Now that she was so close, her anxiety began to take over, and sober thought.

I can’t do this. 

She was tense, on her toes to run away. She took a step back, turning towards the elevator. Even though she was raring to go, she felt her feet heavy. Conflicting thoughts and decisions fought for control.

I should just go. Yeah, I’ll just—  

“Wheein-ah?” 

Crap.

“I didn’t realize you were coming over,” Yongsun said, standing in the doorway. 

“Ah, yeah. Sorry,” Wheein shied away. “I would have texted you, but it was kind of a last-minute decision…”

“No, you’re okay. You’re always welcome over.” Yongsun adjusted the purse on her shoulder, drawing Wheein’s attention to it.

“Are– are you going somewhere?”

“Yeah, I was just going to the convenience to buy some juice. Were you just wanting to hang out?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

“Okay then.” Yongsun smiled, clearly pleased at the prospect of getting to spend some time with her dear friend. “You should come with me. It will only take a moment. Or you can go inside if you’d prefer.”

Wheein wasn’t sure what to say at that. Even though she wanted nothing more than to run away, she also didn’t want to be alone at that moment. 

“Can I go with you?”

“Of course!” Yongsun grinned, finally letting the door close behind her. “Let’s go.” 

They walked to the elevator and rode down to the first floor in silence. Yongsun glanced at Wheein to find her face blank, but her eyes distant. The look and her unusual quietness concerned Yongsun.

The night air was refreshing to them and helped to alleviate some of the tension between them.

“Have you eaten?” Yongsun asked as they walked.

“No, I haven’t.”

“Hm. How does kimchi fried rice sound?”

“You don’t have to–” Wheein started.

“Please, my treat.” Yongsun grinned widely.

Wheein timidly agreed, knowing Yongsun wouldn’t let her go without making sure she was properly fed.

The silence returned, lasting through the rest of their walk and into the convenience store. They both chose mango juice to buy (only after Yongsun insisted she buys her something to drink when she told her she was fine). Yongsun couldn’t fight the urge to pick a couple of their favorite snacks along the way to the checkout.

“How is Minji?” Wheein asked as they made their way back to the apartment building.

Minji was Yongsun's girlfriend of three years. They developed a healthy relationship rather quickly after meeting. They were very much in love with each other.

Yongsun looked over at her, trying to decipher the look on her face. It remained hidden, however, under her downturned head and her ball cap. 

“She’s good. She’s been busy with work lately, so we haven’t really seen each other,” Yongsun said, cautious.

“She wasn’t over today?”

“No. Byulyi was actually.”

“You say that like it’s a surprise,” Wheein chucked. Yongsun simply smiled in return. She was happy to see Wheein smile for the first time in weeks. 

She knew well that something had been bothering her younger friend for some time, but she waited for her to bring it up in her own time. It was a bit difficult to check up on her when Wheein was distancing herself from her like she had been as of late.

To Yongsun’s relief, Wheein warmed up much closer to her usual self as the evening went on. They engaged in conversation and even had a few laughs as Yongsun prepared their meal and as they ate.

After they had cleaned up the dishes, they sat on the floor in the living room, drinking the juice they had just purchased. 

They continued to chat until Yongsun asked, “So, what’s up?”

“Nothing,” Wheein immediately responded.

“We’ve known each other for how many years now? I know you enough to know something is bothering you.”

“It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter