01.

The Monster Within Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

01

 

 

3 months ago… 

“We need to talk about your succession to the throne, Celia,” Celia’s mother, Uriel, asked her during dinner. It was a sensitive subject among them, one that would always end up in an argument, but it needed to be discussed. 

 

“What do you mean? There is nothing to talk about, I don’t want to take over the throne,” she responded. 

 

“We need to talk about it now, Celia. You’re turning eighteen next year already. Why don’t you want to take over? It’s a huge honor to rule our realm,” Celia’s father, Lucifer, said. 

 

An heir needed to be at least eighteen years old to take over the throne, but Celia had no interest in it. She never had, but her brother did. 

 

“Why can’t you just pass it on to me? Unlike Celia, I would be very grateful to take over!” her brother, Luciel, whined. 

 

At least that was true. He was always whining about wanting to rule Astera. She wishes that was the only criteria for inheriting the throne. But, alas, life couldn’t be that simple.

 

Uriel glared at Luciel. “It is not your turn to speak.”

 

“You know very well that it does not work like that, Luciel,” Lucifer said sternly, with a hint of sadness in his tone. 

 

He fell quiet and continued eating in silence, knowing that if he spoke again he would be reprimanded. 

 

“I know it’s an honor to rule Astera, but it’s just not what I want. I’m tired of you ruling me around. I want to live for myself, for once,” Celia argued. She was tired of this conversation.

It was the same discussion over and over again and it was starting to sound like a broken record. 

 

She slammed her utensils down on the table. 

 

“I’m finished. If you’ll excuse me,” she pushed her chair back and stood up and gave a small curtsy, ready to walk away but was stopped by the maids. 

 

Classic move from her father to command the servants against her favors.

 

“You haven’t been excused yet,” Lucifer said. “We aren’t done talking. Sit down,” he ordered. You can tell he was losing his patience. 

 

“I am done talking. I have nothing left to say. Enjoy your night,” she went against her father’s word and left, pushing past the maids to go to her room. 

 

She could hear her father demanding she’d return, but she didn’t listen. She was sick of having to have this conversation over and over again. 

 

Once in her room, she locked the door behind her. She was contemplating this decision, but this was the final straw. 

 

She unlocked the drawer of her desk, using the small key locket of her necklace. Inside the drawer was a hidden compartment that could be opened. She took out old diaries and torn notebooks that she had collected over the years and placed them on her desk. 

 

It should be in here..

 

Reaching back into the drawer, she opened the hidden compartment, taking out a folded up piece of paper. 

 

She opened the paper. It had been in there for years by now, with the ink already starting to fade away. She took a deep breath. She needed to do this. 


 

Present day 

 

It has been three months since Celia left behind Astera and moved to the human realm, also called ‘Earth’. This is where humans and supernatural beings lived together in harmony, although the humans were outnumbered. Since she is the daughter of Lucifer and Uriel, leaders of Astera, - which is the demon and angel realm - she had to disguise herself under a different appearance and name to blend in. 

 

So on earth, she goes by Song Hana, a pure human girl. 

 

“Hana!!” she heard a voice call out. She turned around and saw her best friend, Jongin, running towards her. 

 

Before she could tell him to slow down, he had already bumped into her, causing her to fall onto the ground. 

 

“Jesus Christ, Jongin. You at stopping on time,” she complained, holding her head in pain. 

 

Jongin was the leader of a werewolf pack. Since he’s a werewolf, he has superspeed as one of his special skills. It was handy, sure, but he was really bad at controlling it. 

 

It’s safe to say he’s the clumsiest werewolf that has ever existed.

 

“Sorry, Hana. I got too excited again, didn’t I?” he apologized, helping her back onto her feet. 

Once she was back on her feet she dusted off her hands and looked out for any scrapes on her body that she could have gotten from falling on the concrete. After close inspection she hasn’t found any torn skin. 

 

Jongin was the only one who knew about her secret, since he saw her teleporting onto earth. 

Since Hana is part angel and part demon, she can cast a spell to disguise herself as human, but when she arrived she hadn’t gotten the chance to disguise herself yet, causing Jongin to see her true form. 

Angels and demons are rare in the human realm, and are often hunted on by other humans. 

Ever since that day, Jongin had sworn to protect Hana from danger. 

 

“Come on Hana! We’ll be late!” Jongin pulled her by her arm and they started running.

 

Today was the first day of school after the summer break, and Hana’s first school day in the human realm all together. She had been practicing her disguise spell for the past months to make sure she wouldn’t slip up in public, and today all of that would be put to the test. 

 

The high school she was going to was a combination of supernatural and human beings, although there were more supernatural students than human students. Still, the younger generation was more accepting of humans than the older ones. 

 

She knows humans will stand out and even though she doesn’t like it, she doesn’t have much of a choice. She couldn’t disguise herself as a vampire or werewolf, so this is the best she got. 

 

“Jongin slow down! I’m not at fast as you are. I can’t keep up!” Hana yelled but Jongin couldn’t, or wouldn’t, hear her.

 

Jongin’s clumsiness struck once again. 

 

He was running too fast for her to keep up and Hana ended up stumbling and bumping into a male student in the hallway. 

 

“Mind watching where you’re going? Maybe invest in some glasses,” she heard a deep voice say from above her. 

 

Stupid Jongin, causing me to fall twice already. One day I’m going to lose my head because of his clumsiness.

 

“Uh, I’m sorry, but there’s no need to be rude,” Hana said as she got up from the ground. 

 

The guy scoffed and rolled his eyes at her. “Do you even know who you’re talking to? I’m Jeon Jungkook!” he said, the narcissism being violently on display. 

 

She tilted her head at him. “Okay, good for you. And I’m Song Hana. Again, sorry for running into you, Jungkook,” she responded and walked away from the insulted boy, following Jongin to her class. This time at walking speed. 

 

“T-That chick.. What a nerve she has!” Jungkook’s friend, Taehyung, said in shock that someone would dare to talk back to his friend. “Calm down, I bet she’s just a new girl,” Namjoon said, not looking up from his phone. 

 

“Still, it doesn’t matter if she’s new! Jungkook is royalty, she should know about him!” Taehyung argued back. 

 

“What, want her to his toes already? Get over yourself, not everyone needs to know who we are,” Yoongi said, already leaving his group behind. 

 

“Maybe she’s not from here..?” Jin muttered. “Don’t be ridiculous, she’s as basic as it gets. She’s obviously part human. Maybe just a clueless one,” Jimin laughed. 

 

Rrrrring! 

 

“Let’s go, I don’t want to get any crap for being late,” Jungkook said, leading his posse to the classroom. Something about this girl stood out to him. 


 

He needed to know more. 


 

Lunch break


 

Not having many friends yet, Hana had no other choice but to sit with Jongin and his pack during lunch. 

 

It was not something she was particularly looking forward to, but it was better than sitting alone.

 

“Sehun, nobody cares about Martin Garrix, you are literally the only person who listens to that crap,” Baekhyun complained. 

 

“I’ve seen your playlists so watch what you’re saying before I expose your questionable music taste in front of everyone,” Sehun snapped back. He took a bite of the lunch school provided them with and promptly spit it back out. “One thing I certainly didn’t miss is the food. You’d think the cooks in this school would improve over the years but I think they’ve only gotten worse,” Sehun dropped his utensils and moved his tray away. 

 

“Maybe it’s time for you to make your own lunches from now on, no?” Chen said. “It’ll decrease your time used to complain by at least 50%! Ah, the concept of it alone already sounds like music to my ears,” Baekhyun said while trying to hold in a laugh. Sehun just glared at the two.

 

Hana looked around the cafeteria and saw Jeon Jungkook guy with his posse.

Gross.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter