Baby as payment

BABY AS PAYMENT

Siwon has done so many bad things. He has killed, kidnapped and tortured countless people, he does everything to stay the king of the South Korean drug market. And yet now he is caught off guard. 

 

Never in his life, he has imagined getting a baby as payment for meth. He is staring at the paper box where a baby is lying and which was brought by Donghae. 

 

“What the hell are we going to do?”

 

Donghae, who found the baby, shrugged and peeked in the box. The baby looks okay, well he is a bit dirty and he looks very thin but they can’t see any injuries. The junkie who owes him money is nowhere to be found, he only left the box with the baby in his shabby one-room apartment. Siwon is thinking hard but he isn’t sure if he should sell the baby. He is heartless but is he heartless enough to sell a baby? 

 

Suddenly the baby squirmed a bit and opened his eyes. He is looking around for a short moment and then started to cry. Siwon winced because of the high pitched crying and the door of his office opened. 

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Ryeowook, who is a self-appointed doctor and housekeeper of the mafia boss walked into the room and gasped when he spotted the baby. 

 

“Oh my God! Look at you!”

 

Ryeowook doesn’t care about Siwon’s and Donghae’s curious looks and he carefully picked up the crying but cute boy. 

 

“Aigo! Such a cute baby.”

 

Ryeowook maybe works for mafia but he loves babies and this one is really cute.

 

“What is your name, baby boy?”

 

Ryeowook gently bounces the baby in his arms and Donghae spotted a piece of paper wrapped around the baby’s ankle. He unwrapped the paper and showed it to his boss.

 

“His name is Yesung and he is one year old.”

 

Ryeowook wants to know how Siwon got the baby and the boss shortly explained the situation.

 

“So, what are you going to do?”

 

Siwon shrugged and sat down in his armchair. At least Ryeowook looks like he could take care of the tiny human until Siwon finds out what to do. Ryeowook walked out of the office and Donghae trailed behind him. Siwon poured himself a glass of whiskey and closed his eyes for a while. He still hears the baby crying and thinks about a way how to get rid of it. Siwon looks on his hands and thinks if he could kill the baby. Probably not, but he also doesn’t want to sell him. So what to do now?

 

Meanwhile, Ryeowook walked in his room. Siwon’s house is huge so the most important members of his mafia live here. Ryeowook heads in the bathroom which is connected to his room and sat the baby on the soft bath rug. He smiles and then started to run him a bath. The boy is grimy  and it is clear that his drug-addicted parents didn’t take care of him. Ryeowook waits until the water reaches three centimeters and then undressed the baby from his dirty T-shirt and ugly pants. His diaper is wet and Ryeowook tossed it away and turned to Donghae.

 

“Go and buy a few essentials for him. Like diapers.”

 

Donghae nodded and drives to a supermarket. He is wandering around and has no idea what to buy. There are so many diapers and he has no idea which ones are the right. Luckily a shop assistant spotted the lost-looking man and goes to help him. Donghae managed to buy essential things and then hurries back so he won’t be scolded. Ryeowook is almost finishing bathing the baby and the boy looks happy, he is splashing the warm water around and giggles. Ryeowook picked up clean Yesung and wrapped him in a warm towel. Now they only need to wait for Donghae who is back in a few minutes. He put three bags full of things on Ryeowook’s bed and started to pull out the things he bought. There is a package of diapers and wet wipes, a red pacifier with a ladybug, jars with baby food and few pieces of clothing like tiny socks and onesies. Ryeowook studies how to put on the diaper and Donghae watches him. The baby is observing them and giggles when Ryeowook tickles his tiny tummy. Donghae handed the white onesie to Ryeowook who slowly dressed the small baby.  They are quite satisfied with their skills and then Donghae opened the jar of baby food. Ryeowook brings a spoon and let Donghae feed him. It shows up that the boy is hungry like the wolf. Soon the jar of applesauce disappeared in his tummy and Yesung is sleepy. He is yawning and shows his pink gums with four teeth. He curled into a small ball as a tired kitten and Ryeowook covered him with a blanket. He still can’t believe that someone actually paid for drugs like this. It is a baby for ’s sake! Donghae got bored, the baby does nothing funny - he is only sleeping - so the man left. Only Ryeowook can’t take his eyes off the small creature which is sleeping in the middle of his bed. Ryeowook carefully laid down on the bed and stares on the baby until he fell asleep while gently holding the baby’s tiny hand. 

 

The next peaceful morning is ruined by sharp crying and wailing. Siwon abruptly woke up and grabs his gun which is in the nightstand. He thinks that enemies are attacking them but then calmed down after realizing that the sounds are coming from the baby. Ryeowook is already calming down the crying baby and Siwon collapsed back in his bed. He was thinking about the situation with the baby but he doesn’t have a plan on how to get rid of him. Siwon knows that Yesung’s parents were junkies so they should see a doctor as soon as possible to see if he is okay. He needs to go to the city anyway so he can take Yesung to see a real doctor, Siwon thinks that Ryeowook is good at tending some kind of wounds like gunshot wounds or stab wounds but he isn’t sure if Ryeowook understands how babies work. Siwon walked in the dining room already in a black suit and white shirt and spotted Kyuhyun hesitantly holding the baby. 

 

“We are going out so prepare a car, Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun slowly put the baby on the dining table and goes to fulfill his boss’s order. Siwon sighed after seeing the baby lying sprawled on the table and grabs his cup with strong morning coffee. Siwon isn’t feeling very hungry so he decided to skip breakfast and picks up the baby. Siwon gets in the car and Kyuhyun started to drive toward a private hospital where are cured seriously injured members of Siwon’s gang. He walked inside the hospital and Kyuhyun goes behind him. They look weird. Two men in black suits with cold looks on their faces and they have a baby who is on his fingers. Kyuhyun opened a door of an office where is their doctor waiting for them. Siwon handed the baby to the surprised doctor and she started to examine him. Siwon informed her about the lifestyle of Yesung’s parents and she nodded while examining the baby. She takes a blood sample and left for a few minutes to see if Yesung isn’t addicted to drugs. If his parents used drugs it is possible that Yesung is also addicted and soon she is back with the results. 

 

“He is positive for meth. He is in the beginning stage right now but it is going to be hard.”

 

She keeps speaking about the withdrawal symptoms and Siwon looks at the small boy in his arms. Yesung is fine for now because a bit of meth is still present in his blood but the doctor is saying that he will be moody for the next few weeks as his body will be adjusting to not having the drugs. 

 

“We will see if he isn’t HIV positive. The results will be back in a few days.”

 

The doctor takes a sample of the baby’s blood and puts it aside and then writes a few prescriptions for him. Siwon grabs the prescriptions and hands them to Kyuhyun who runs to get the medicine and vitamins. Siwon said goodbye to the doctor and then gets in the car. Siwon feels guilty, after all, he is selling drugs and now he is having a baby who is addicted to meth. Fine. Siwon sighed and told Kyuhyun to take them to a mall. Siwon needs to silence the voice which is yelling inside his head, he needs to kill his guilt. Siwon buys every possible toy he can find and the shop assistants are carrying the boxes and bags while running behind the rich man. Yesung is carried by Kyuhyun and he is watching everything with wide eyes. After a while, he fell asleep in Kyuhyun’s arms while Siwon finished the crazy shopping spree.

 

Ryeowook is shocked by the number of toys that are carried in the house and also finds many bags with cute clothes for Yesung. It looks like he is going to be properly dressed for the first time since being born. Siwon told him the news about Yesung’s addiction and he immediately goes to find information about it. Donghae is unpacking the toys with Yesung who is closely watching him but the baby doesn’t look amused by the toys. He has never had such things so he doesn’t know how to play but luckily there is Donghae who is showing him every cool thing the boss bought for him. Yesung is getting used to living with people who give him a good kind of attention. His parents only used to scream at him when he was crying or asking for food but now he has everything - food, toys, cuddles and proper hygiene. 

 

Siwon is walking through a hallway toward his bedroom when he hears some giggling coming from a room that used to be empty. Siwon opened the door and raised his eyebrows. The room is completely different. The walls are not white anymore but they have a baby blue color with white clouds and stars. Also, the floor has a white carpet and there is a half-built white closet. In the middle of the room is standing a white crib and Yesung is sitting inside on his padded bum while giggling and watching the crib mobile above him. Siwon walks closer to the crib and put his hand on top of the wooden railing.

 

“Ahh, I see that Ryeowook created a room just for you.”

 

The baby only smiles from behind his pacifier and reached one short arm toward the man. Siwon has to admit that the baby looks like a tiny angel in the cute pajama (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0718436002.html). Siwon smiles on the small creature and shakes his tiny hand. He hears someone coming so he quickly walked out of the room and went in his office to hide his weak and soft side which was woken up by the baby.

 

The calm days are gone because after three days Yesung’s body got rid of rests of the drugs and now he is barely conscious. He is sleeping for more than 20 hours every day and Ryeowook has to wake him up to get some food in his stomach. Yesung’s sleep can’t stop Ryeowook from carrying the baby around. It calms down Ryeowook because he put himself in the charge of taking care of him and he would never forgive himself if something happens to Yesung. The boss also occasionally meets Ryeowook wandering around the house with the sleeping baby. It is quite scary because Ryeowook does this even during nights when you bump into him in the dark hallways or in the kitchen. Ryeowook believes that he is building a bond with Yesung by being this close to him. Then comes week two and Yesung’s cravings kick in. Every cell in his tiny body is yelling to get meth and he is crying and screaming until passing out because of exhaustion only to wake up a few hours later and starting to scream again. Siwon can’t stand the crying anymore. It has been four days of never-ending crying and today Siwon wants it to end. He stormed out of his office and runs in Ryeowook’s bedroom. The man is trying hard to calm down the distressed baby but it isn’t so easy. Yesung is clammy with a thin layer of sweat covering his skin and he has a fever. He is moody and nothing can stop the tears from coming. Siwon’s anger is gone when he sees the poor little guy and he carefully picked him up.

 

“I read that this is the stage of depressions because meth is a mood lifter. He might even suffer from things like hallucinations.”

 

Ryeowook rubs his tired eyes and Siwon watches the poor baby. Yesung somehow calmed down a bit in the man’s arms and pressed his snotty face in Siwon’s white shirt. His small body is shaking and he is whining while on his pacifier. Siwon started to bounce him up and down in his arms and finds that holding a baby is quite nice. He looks at the tired boy and smiles a bit. Yesung is slowly falling asleep and Siwon carefully sat down. He hopes that the boy won’t suffer any longer, it isn’t fair that he is suffering because of his parents who are God knows where. Siwon the tiny hands of the baby and then slowly laid him down on the bed and covered him with a blanket. He left so the baby can take a nap and smiles when he is sure that no one can see him.

 

It takes two more weeks for Yesung to stop feeling sick and his body is slowly going back to normal. He is finally a normal one-year-old kid and Siwon is sure that he can’t let go of the cute baby. Yesung is stealing the hearts of everyone who meets him. Thanks to Ryeowook he is becoming chubby and his full cheeks and cute smile makes him a heart stealer. Of course, that Yesung managed to steal Siwon’s heart too so the boss is completely whipped for him but he doesn’t want to show it. He is a mafia boss, he can’t show that a baby completely stole his heart. Siwon is satisfied with occasionally stealing a glance of the baby. Siwon would like to spend more time with the baby but then his men could think that their boss is weak. At least the man can sometimes sneak in the baby’s nursery. Yesung changed so much. He is the happiest baby boy who has so many toys and so many playmates. Every morning after Ryeowook changes his diaper and clothes (https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0706445001.html) and then Yesung is ready to play so now he can carry the baby in the kitchen to have breakfast. Siwon is already eating and put down his newspaper. Ryeowook sat the baby down in his highchair and goes to prepare him breakfast. Yesung is grinning at the man and babbles something incoherent. He can say a few words but his vocabulary is very limited. Yesung keeps babbling and squealing while pointing at Siwon. Siwon has no idea how to respond so he only smiles at him. Ryeowook is soon back with breakfast for Yesung and slowly feeds him. After a while, Yesung finished his porridge with fruit on top and Ryeowook takes him in the living room where is a playpen full of toys. Ryeowook has to work, he has to clean the house so he leaves Yesung in the safety of the playpen. Siwon prepares another cup of coffee and walks in the living room. Yesung looked up at Siwon and reached his short arms toward him. The boy is hanging him a small red car and Siwon hesitantly takes the toy from the tiny hand. Yesung laughed and showed his few teeth and then sat down on his padded bum. He is staring at Siwon and he feels that he should say something.

 

“Thank you.”

 

He put the car on the carpet and pushes it around a bit. The baby clapped his hands together and started to play while Siwon is drinking his coffee. Yesung is such a cute little thing, he is laughing a lot, he keeps babbling his little nonsenses. Siwon feels like this baby belongs only to him, like they were meant to meet. Siwon the baby’s tiny feet and smiles when the ticklish baby giggles. Siwon really loves the baby. Not so much to stop selling drugs but he is thinking about giving money to some orphanage or a hospital to help people with drug addiction. Siwon finished his coffee and wants to leave because he has to work but the baby started to cry. Siwon turned around and Yesung is making grabby hands toward him. The baby cries and looks so sad that Siwon has to hurry back and quickly picked him up. 

 

“Fine, you can go with me.”

 

Siwon carried him in his office and sat down at his desk. He is reading few documents while holding the baby in his lap. Yesung is on his pacifier and looks around the big office. Siwon is bouncing him on his knees and holds the tiny hands so the baby won’t fall down. Siwon’s work is easier with the cute boy in his lap, the time is flying and soon Ryeowook comes to feed the baby. Siwon feels a bit stupid for being so soft around one tiny baby but it was such a nice feeling to sit with him.

 

The weather outside is nice, the sun is shining and the sky is blue with no cloud. Siwon got an idea - they can eat lunch outside on the terrace. Ryeowook prepares the food and then Siwon sat down at the table on the terrace from where they can see the green garden and swimming pool. Siwon doesn’t know from where did the warm feeling in his chest came. He feels … proud while watching Yesung wandering around the garden. He is wearing a cute pair of dungarees (https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0840582002.html), a tiny pair of white espadrilles and a straw hat is shielding his eyes and face. Yesung has so much energy and runs around while ignoring Ryeowook who is calling him to come and eat lunch. The boy is happily exploring all the flowers around and doesn’t care that his lunch is getting cold. Ryeowook sighed but then Siwon stood up and cleared his throat.

 

“Yesungie! Come here!”

 

The small boy turned around and quickly runs back to them. He struggles with cleaning the three steps which are leading on the terrace but then he reached the table. Ryeowook is shocked that the baby is behaving so well, Siwon’s simple command was immediately fulfilled. The mafia boss chuckles when the boy raised his arms to show that he wants to be picked up. Siwon sat him down in his lap and starts to cut his chicken and vegetable into smaller pieces so the baby can comfortably chew it. Ryeowook sees that they don’t need him anymore because Siwon and Yesung are staring at each other and ignore him. Ryeowook shrugged and goes back in the kitchen to prepare a dessert for them. He is a bit sad that Yesung loves Siwon so much but he is also relieved because it means that Yesung’s life isn’t in danger anymore - the mafia boss loves the baby and Ryeowook is sure that Siwon won’t hurt him. And that is the most important thing.