chapter 3

as the night falls
03
SHUHUA 
 

Fiery pain shot through Shuhua's palm, making her exclaim and take her hand away.

"What are you doing?!" Soojin shouted and pulled Shuhua towards her.

The people around them gasped and stared. Some backed away but the others just stared. Shuhua also heard someone calling a guard but her focus was on her palm. She looked at it and saw nothing but a reddish mark, as if she held something that burned. She looked at the woman who was mirroring the bewildered expression she has.

The woman showed her the black knife she was holding. "It has no blade."

Shuhua glanced at it and saw that she was right. In fact, it wasn't a knife. It's just a polished black crystal. She looked back at her hand and still saw the mark. The pain was now faint and quickly fading.

"What's happening here?"

Shuhua let her eyes stray away from her hand and saw a guard walking towards them. Unlike her father, he was wearing a red uniform, indicating that he can wield magic. His eyes scanned the situation and frowned in confusion when he recognized the old lady.

"Elder Han?" He looked at Shuhua and saw her holding her own hand. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing, sir." Shuhua lowered her hand and forced a small smile. "I was just surprised..."

"Me too," the woman called Elder Han said quietly.

The guard glanced back and forth between Elder Han and Shuhua before finally settling his eyes on the elder who stared back at him. From the intensity of their stares, there seem to be a silent conversation between the two. He then nodded hesitantly and faced Shuhua. "I'll be going then..."

Soojin, now unsure of what happened, decided to just tug Shuhua away. "Let's just go."

Shuhua let Soojin drag her away from the market. She heard her friend muttering some annoyed expressions but she wasn't paying attention to those. She was just staring at her unharmed hand and watching the now pinkish mark fade.

"Is your hand okay?" Soojin asked when they were out of the crowd.

Shuhua nodded slowly. "Nothing happened... But I swear, I felt some kind of pain."

"It was probably magic."

It made sense. Those merchants were magicians after all. But why would that woman hurt her? She did nothing but gaze at the book. She did not even try to steal the crystal, if that magic was some kind of protection from thieves.

Shuhua snapped out of her daze when Soojin stopped walking. She looked behind her and saw the familiar white two-storey house. Just like what Soojin promised, they were home with the sun still up and was just about to set.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Soojin took her hands and scanned them.

Shuhua nodded. "Yes. Thank you for today."

Her friend smiled back but there was a bit of guilt in her eyes. "I'm sorry for forcing you to come with me."

She sighed and hugged her. "Don't be. I had fun today thanks to you. Besides, I'm not harmed in any way."

After bidding goodbyes, Shuhua entered the house with her mind still revisiting what happened earlier. Although she wasn't really harmed, something about what happened bothered her. She could remember the surprise on the eyes of the woman when she gasped in pain.

Also, what was that with the guard? Could magicians talk with each other using telepathy? She knew little of magic but she highly doubt that.

Shrugging her thoughts away, she headed straight to her room and rested for a bit before busying herself with sewing.

She was working on placing some decorative lace on the dress when she heard the front door open. She glanced at the clock and saw that hours had passed ever since she got home.

"Shuhua?" she heard her mother's voice.

She let go of what she was doing and ran down the stairs. Her mother was in the kitchen, taking off her white facility gown and placing it neatly inside the basket for used clothes.

"Mother," Shuhua called.

Her mother kissed her cheek before proceeding to make dinner. "How was your day?"

She bit the inside of her cheek. It slipped her mind that she went out without permission. She carefully watched her mother swiftly slice vegetables.

"I actually have something to tell you." She cringed when her voice cracked. She wasn't used to this kind of situation. Although she has never seen her mother get so angry, she felt uneasy.

"Should I be prepared about it?" Her mother nonchalantly asked without stopping from what she is doing.

"I went out today."

Her mother just proceeded slicing the meat. "Where did you go?"

Shuhua took a deep breath. "I went to Levan with Soojin."

With that, her mother paused and looked at her. "Outside the capital?"

She slowly nodded, watching her mother's reaction. Her mother stared at her for a few seconds before laughing.

"It's okay sweetheart." Her mother continued working on dinner while chuckling. "I'm never the strict parent, remember? As long as you aren't doing something dangerous, it's fine."

Although confused, Shuhua felt relief wash over her.

With a light heart, she helped her mother cook dinner and set the dining place. Not long after the food was cooked, her father came home. Like the usual, they had a happy dinner. Stories of how their days went was shared over the table. Shuhua also told them of her day but she intentionally left out the not-so-good part. It didn't harm her so she doesn't want them to worry about it.

On the following days, Shuhua became busy working on her dress. She also roamed around the city a few times to take a break. Since the festival is approaching, there were already decors all over the place. Colorful flowers were attached to street lamps. There was also a large banner welcoming the royals who would be attending the festival. Some artists were already setting up their art. There were also some musicians already playing on the streets.

It wasn't a festival as big as the one celebrating the foundation of the kingdom but since it is an art event, there are a lot of beautiful things to see. Some may be made of magic, some may be not. But nonetheless, that daylong celebration is magical.

Shuhua decided to finished her dress just a night before the festival. Out of fatigue, she slept on her worktable.

She heard some hurried footsteps. At first, she taught that it was the dream again but when she opened her eyes, instead of the empty streets, she saw her table. Rubbing her eyes, she looked at the clock and saw that it was a few minutes after midnight.

She stretched and stood up. She was heading to her bed when the door to her room bursted open. She jumped in surprise. Wide eyed, she stared at her whose frantic look shredded away all sleepiness left in her body.

"Mother? W-what's wrong?" Shuhua felt her heart beat louder.

She heard a loud knocking at their front door. She gulped and just stared at her mother whose eyes are now b with tears. Before she could repeat her question, her mother held her arms tightly.

"Shuhua, I need you to listen to me." The strength in her mother's voice surprised her. It was firm despite the tears flowing from her eyes.

"What's happening?" Tears rushed towards Shuhua's eyes. "Did something happen to father?"

Her mother just stared straight at her. "You need to go out of this house through the backdoor. From there, you have to find a way to the northern magical border just past the royal castle. There must be a crack on that border somewhere. After finding it, wait until the sun rises before going out of the kingdom. The shadows won't be able to touch you then."

Shuhua shook her head. Her mother's words were too fast and too confusing for her. "I can't understand, mother."

The knock on their front door became more forceful.

"We don't have much time left." Her mother sighed and handed her a brown rucksack. "The royals knew about you and what you are. You aren't safe here anymore. You need to go out of this kingdom."

Shuhua hesitantly took the bag. "What do you mean, mother? And where will I go? Isn't this kingdom the safest place in the world? And what about you and father?" She asked continuously.

Her mother took her hand, led her out of the room and down the stairs. She glanced at the living room and saw her father using all his might in keeping the door close. From the windows, she could see guards outside of their home.

Once they reached the kitchen, where the backdoor is, Shuhua stopped and faced her mother. She had so many questions in her mind. Her heart is beating loudly that it now physically hurts.

"I don't want to go..." was the only thing she was able to say before finally breaking down.

Her mother's eyes softened and were flooded with tears once again. She hugged her tightly as if she too does not want her to go. "I know, sweetie. I know. This is all my fault. I'm really sorry but you have to go."

"Where? Why?" she asked in between sobs.

"Once you are out of this kingdom, just continue running north until you find a small city full of light. There, you will be safe."

It surprised her to hear that there are other safe places outside the kingdom but her mind doesn't seem to register it. She could not understand a single thing. All she knew was that there are guards banging at their door and her mother is making her go.

They heard the front door burst open. Her mother let her go and suddenly pushed her towards the backdoor. "You need to go now!"

Cold wind blasted in Shuhua's face, making her shiver. Her mother went out with her and placed a warm coat over her. Shuhua was frozen on her place, her mind a mess.

"I can't do it!"

"I trust you, Shuhua. You can do this. Leave the kingdom. Find the city of light," her mother said while pushing her to go.

She glanced back at the house and saw some shadows of the guards.

"Leave!" Her mother pushed her once again.

Shuhua hesitantly took a step back. When she saw her mother's firm and sure stare, she suddenly found strength to obey. She's unsure of everything. But ever since she was a child, she trusted her parents' decision. She never experienced regret from obeying them. All of their decisions were well thought of and well planned.

Nodding, Shuhua turned around and ran. If her parents think it is the right decision, she knew she has to obey. She trusts them with all her life.

Little did Shuhua know that as soon as she turned around, even before she took the first step away, her mother silently fell on her knees and cried. For the second time in her life, she made a big decision that she hadn't carefully thought of.

She hoped that this time, her decision was right.

 
 AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

Thank you for subscribing and reading the story! I hope you are enjoying this story as much as I do :) Keep safe, everyone!