First & Final

Bittersweet Misunderstanding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is hard when you’re surrounded by a clique of some smartest students who you call your best friends. You’re also the only girl. And you seem to be catching feelings for one of them. How cliche. When you think about it, you almost want to laugh. After all, these only happen in some sappy dramas right? Baekhyun always excelled in his academics, you would know. As if knowing him since he was only in his diapers wasn’t enough, both your parents decided to send the two of you to the same schools, up to the very same university. He is protective like a brother, cherishes you like his little princess despite being only a few months younger than him. That is also how you became part of the otherwise highly-regarded group that breathes excellency and brain cells now. Though you are not bad yourself either. But somewhere along the blurry lines, you started seeing him as a man. Your train of thoughts derailed and you are broken out of your trance by the loud, melodious yet boyish laughter than you love hearing so much. Followed by a shrilly laughter that made you cringe. You didn’t even try to hide it.

“Baekhyun! That’s so funny!” the girl speaks in her infamous overly cute, high-pitched voice that made you roll your eyes as she lightly hits the said man’s chest. He reciprocated with an adoring smile. Honestly, you don’t know what your best friend sees in her. Everyone knows how flirty is she towards almost any other handsome or lookable guy and would jump at the chance to play the victim card only to gain the favour of the guys in your clique. But being a stubborn man that is so head over heels, of course he wouldn’t listen. Sometimes, you wonder what kind of spell she put him under. Whatever it is, she definitely does not give off any good vibes. Noticing your unpleasant reaction, she raised her eyebrows, looking at you challengingly yet subtly so that Baekhyun doesn’t notice.

“By the way, I think you really need to start taking care of your face, maybe some makeup would help.” she spurted innocently yet you don’t miss the malice in her tone. You feel anger boiling in you. What the hell does she want now? She always taunt you whenever possible, being her favourite target. Perhaps she feel threatened by your existence or maybe she’s jealous that you’re getting so much attention from the group of guys that she is very, very interested in mingling with which includes your best friend. Also, this is not the first time she’s being a to you.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe I am just someone who would like to let her pores breath instead of caking them up with heaps of makeup that probably falls a little whenever she speaks.” you see her eye twitch, hate churning in her eyes. You smirked as you return the eye contact, equally challenging, if not more.

“That’s enough, ladies.” Baekhyun voiced before the tension gets any thicker. Before he can utter another word, she slammed the table and stormed off. You hear him sigh.

“Can’t you be a little nicer to her?” he chastises you with a gaze darker than usual, running his hand on his hair before getting up and chased after his girlfriend.

Three weeks after that incident, something definitely shifted between the both of you. Baekhyun has never reprimanded you for anything, not even when you make fun of him. And for him to somehow chide you like this because of a girl, not exactly a nice one at it, surely you are baffled. They are only dating for like, what, four months? Hence, you drifted apart from each other more and more in the past two weeks. The other guys probably noticed the obvious cold war between you and Baekhyun but they didn’t say anything, at least not directly. He did, however, attempt to coax you to talk to him whenever he can, especially in the absence of his girlfriend in hopes of patching up with you and return everything back to normal again. But being the prideful girl you are, it was definitely a blow to your ego, not to mention it is not how you treat your best friend when you are “in love” and your significant other is not even marginally nice. Sure, you miss him. You miss his company,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter