Not in a Million Years

In Aeternum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your luminous amber eyes were trained to the night sky, beholding the beauty of what was to be the last full moon you’ll see in your lengthy lifetime. It seemed trivial knowing that you would be able to see it whenever you wanted to, but times have changed as your predestined death approached. And what a beautiful thing it was, the moon, and the irony that you only ever appreciated it mere moments before you close your eyes for all eternity.

“I knew you’d come,” you spoke, your clear voice sending ripples of waves to echo back with a subtle ring that sliced through the silence you’ve been enduring for days. You didn’t have to turn around to know that you were no longer alone in your chambers. You knew exactly where he was standing without looking, just under the lintel of what was supposed to be a stone doorway. It was both a power and curse to have such heightened senses that you could almost touch the very essence of another being lurking close enough.

Your destined executioner’s life force was just too potent for you to miss. It was something you’ve always marveled at from the time he was born. You have known of everything, his fate and how it was intertwined with yours. The oracles have spoken. Your death shall come in his hands and no one else’s, and for someone who is so used to living, it was an affront, but so was your initial designs to end his life before he even knew of what he was to become.

You remembered standing over his wooden crib twenty three years prior, a dagger raised high above your head, ready to kill. But then, he opened his eyes, bright as they were dark, rendering you motionless and unable to carry out your plans. A smile etched its way across your mouth. You had it coming, too.

When he didn’t say anything, you took it upon you to break the silence. “You would not remember, but the first time we met was on a night like this,” you began. “A full moon on placid winter evening.”

“No. I met you at the edge of the woods on a spring day,” he contradicted, moving deeper into the room, his boot-clad feed hitting the hollow floor-boards with creaks and dull thuds until he was standing right beside you.

“Sometimes, I forget that you are fully aware of my nature.” You broke into a sorrowful grin whilst you turned you head to face him so that only half of your otherworldly countenance was illuminated by the moonlight, the rest hidden away in the pitch-black darkness of the chamber. “I have known those eyes since the day you were born, Jungkook.” Reaching out with your hand, you touched him on the cheek, your lithe fingers brushing ever ephemerally across his skin. “I know why you are here.”

He nodded, placing his larger hand over yours, slowly sliding your palm over his mouth to press butterfly kisses into your supple skin. Closing his eyes as if he was being physically assaulted by an unseen force, he pressed closer to your cool hand.

“I came that night with the same intention you have at present and more nights and days after that. I thought I can stop the Fates from having a hand in my destiny, yet I could not bear the thought of your blood being spilled.”

He opened his eyes. “You knew.” It wasn’t a question.

“Yes.”

“I was born to kill you.”

“And I am ready.”

Jungkook shrank away from you, retreating into the darkness, eyes glistening with hurt and rage as he regarded you with those eyes, the same ones that shone brightly at the sight of you not too long ago. “You lied to me.”

You received the accusation in a resigned manner, merely looking away and returning your gaze back to the moon. There was no sense arguing your cause. Essentially, you did lie to him by not telling him the truth that you know.

“You made me to think you were something else entirely. You befriended me, gained my trust. You protected me, taught me everything I know these past seasons, and for what, Y/N? You led me to believe we can be together!” he rasped in anger, his voice rising and engulfing the whole room and the woods that surrounded you.

His words were followed by a thud, causing you to look his way, and found him kneeling on the floor, agony written all over him.

“All this time, you knew what I was to you…” He raised his head and with blazing eyes, looking straight into yours. “Why didn’t you just kill me? Why did you have to be so good to me just so I could take your life away later?”

You fully faced him, dropping on the floor and cupping his face between your hands. “Jungkook, such is the will of the gods.”

“Then why did you make me love you?” Tears spilled from his eyes, staining his cheeks as he dug his fingers into the floor. “If you wanted me to kill you, why did you make me feel like this?”

You held his head against your chest, embracing him, feeling his warmth seep through you, letting his smell fill your lungs and lett

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter