Happier

Am I like, your guardian angel or something?

“I swear to all things unholy, if you don’t get back here I will castrate you!”

“Isn’t it ‘all things holy’ though?”

“Kwon Soonyoung.”

A loud scream made Wonwoo glance up from his phone briefly to see his roommates fighting each other. Well Jihoon was, Soonyoung was cowering in a corner as Jihoon hit him repeatedly with a rolled-up newspaper.

Rolling his eyes, he turned his attention back to the stupidly long chat thread with he had open, immediately grinning when he saw that a new message had come through.

Are you free right now?
Sent: 7:03pm

He typed back a response, saying that he was, ignoring Soonyoung’s screams and reaching for a hoodie that was draped over the back of the sofa he was leaning on.

Great, I’m outside your building now! :)
Sent 7:06pm

Raising his eyebrows at the fact his boyfriend was already outside, he made his way towards the door and was reaching for his shoes when a hand wrapped around his ankle making him jump. Soonyoung looked up at him with wide eyes and Wonwoo sighed, wrenching his foot out of his grip.

“Where are you going? You can’t leave me here with this monster!” Soonyoung pleaded as Jihoon watched on in amusement, rolled up newspaper still in his hand (though slightly more dented than before). Wonwoo glanced down at him before turning to Jihoon.

“Leave him alone.” He said with a bored tone. Soonyoung’s eyes widened even further at his pathetic attempt to stop Jihoon and Wonwoo was certain that if he continued, his eyes would fall out of their sockets.

“Wha-“ He stuttered, looking between Wonwoo and Jihoon who were both watching him with an evil glint in their eyes

“What was that? Is this still about this morning? I said I was sorry! Please Wonwoo.”

“Sorry won’t cut it Soonyoung.”

“Why not, I apologised like a million times and even brought you a new one!”

“You ate the last pack of cereal. My cereal. Which you are specifically not allowed to touch. Especially not after the incident with the whisk.” Everyone in the room shuddered at the mention of that and took a moment to get rid of the memory.

“It was only a small bite though; I honestly don’t see what the problem was!” Wonwoo gasped at that and turned back to Jihoon.

“Forget what I said before, Jihoon. Make him suffer.” With that he turned and left. As he locked the door behind him, his last glimpse of the inside of their apartment being Soonyoung running into his bedroom like a headless chicken with Jihoon following with lazy footsteps.

As he trudged down the stairs leading to the ground floor of their apartment complex, Wonwoo took out his phone and messaged his boyfriend to let him know that he was on his way down.

When he reached the entrance, he quickly slipped out of the door and shivered in the cold December air which was a stark contrast to the warmth of their heated apartment. Almost straight away, he spotted his boyfriend’s tall figure leaning against a rail a few meters away and smiled.

“Mingyu!”

At the sound of his name being called, Mingyu turned and a smile automatically made its way onto his face once he saw who called him. Wonwoo jogged over and was immediately enveloped in a warm hug, the cold that had previously been surrounding him being replaced with the warmth of Mingyu’s embrace. Wonwoo wrapped his arms around him and let out a contented sigh.

They remained like that for a few seconds before a shrill, familiar shriek made Wonwoo look up at one of the open windows of his apartment building. Mingyu raised a questioning eyebrow when Wonwoo began giggling.

“That was Soonyoung.” He offered as an explanation and Mingyu shook his head with a laugh.

“Did he annoy Jihoon again?” Wonwoo buried his face back into the warmth of Mingyu’s neck and nodded, relaxing when he felt fingers gently playing with his hair.

Silence filled the air again as they stood there, peacefully taking in each other’s presence after what seemed like weeks of not being able to see each other (which, in reality, had only been a few days) and having to rely on social media as a way to communicate. Wonwoo’s grip on Mingyu tightened as he breathed in the familiar scent of lavender detergent that clung to his clothes. It was strange how someone he only met half a year ago could now mean so much to him. He didn’t even want to think about what his life would be like if he hadn’t decided to knock on the younger’s door that day.

“What are you doing here this late?” He asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the calm atmosphere that surrounded them. It wasn’t that he was ungrateful for Mingyu’s presence. In fact, it was the opposite. It was just that he knew his boyfriend had been swamped with work lately, which was why they’d been unable to see each other, and he didn’t want to take away from any opportunity the younger got to take a break and rest.

“Have you had dinner yet?”

“Not yet, no. You want me to come round yours?” Wonwoo leaned his head back to see Mingyu’s face better and laughed at the enthusiastic nod he got in response. He took a step away from the hug, shivering as the cold settled back into his bones, and grabbed Mingyu’s hand, loving the way their fingers naturally intertwined without hesitation.

“Come on then, we still need to finish watching that episode of The Good Place.” He tugged gently on Mingyu’s hand and started walking. The younger was quick to follow, letting go of Wonwoo’s hand and instead wrapping an arm around his shoulder, pulling him into his side as they continued down the street.

 

**********************************************************************************

 

Two figures sat by the window as they watched the couple leave, smiling when the shorter of the two leaned against the other and let out a loud laugh at something the taller had said.

“Hey, Jihoon.”

“Hmm.”

“Aren’t you glad that Wonwoo found Mingyu?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Since they got together he seems happier, you know? He’s left the apartment more in the past month than he has in the last year. I mean, yesterday I walked in on him ginning at his phone like a maniac and it took him a full 5 minutes to realise that I had walked into the room and he completely blanked you when you called him.”

“I agree, but Soonyoung. Don’t think all this talk means I’ve forgotten about earlier.”

“Wait, no!”

 

 

 

 

Here it is! You ask and it shall appear! Since a lot of people on my AO3 account requested it, I decided to make this month’s update this chapter instead of a completely new oneshot. I hope it lived up to your expectations, but I’m tragically bad at writing fluff (or anything nice in general) so we’ll see. Also, I had no idea what to put for the show they were watching (I really don't watch a lot of TV and only ever have Netflix whenever we get offered a free trial), so I just put one of my favourites from Netflix on. If any of you watch The Good Place, yes! You are my people! If you don't, you should definitely check it out, I'm sure you'll love it!

As always, please leave a comment and let me know what you thought! They really help me to understand what my readers enjoy and what sort of stuff you want to see. After all, this chapter probably wouldn’t exist if y’all hadn’t recommended that I write it! Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed!