Two.

5th floor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

A few weeks passed and Wendy was starting to become a mess again. All she did these days was study, study and study. She hadn't seen her friends in a while, which was worrying, but then again she had no time for them these days. Yes, she was studying all day but was she productive? The answer was no. No, because she couldn't focus. Her mind was elsewhere...

While she was organizing her textbooks, hoping that it would help her focus, she heard urgent knocks coming from the door. Could it be her? Wendy was suddnely excited. She hadn't seen her in weeks. She quickly made it to the door and swung it open.

"Wendy! My dearest friend!" Joy appeared behind the door and threw her long arms around her into a bear hug. Yeri stood right behind her. "Wendy! You look gorgeous today!" Yeri pulled Joy away, taking her turn to hug Wendy. The latter was beyond confused. "Are you drunk?" she asked. Joy and Yeri showering her with compliments? Suspicious.

"Drunk? Wendy, it's ten in the morning." Joy said matter of factly.

Wendy raised an eyebrow, "Why are you here then?"

Joy threw her bag on the coffee table, "Can't we pay a visit to our best friend on this fine morning?"

"Joy."

The tall woman rolled her eyes and fell on the couch, "Okay, okay. I want you to do me a favour." Now that's what all those compliments were for.

"What kind of favour?"

Joy and Yeri looked at each other as if they were urging each other to speak. Yeri gave up first, "We're throwing a party."

"Oh, cool. What for?"

"It's just a party. No reason behind it. We just wanna have some fun," Joy explained.

"The thing is, my house is ridiculously small and Joy's is... under construction."

"Okay?" Wendy couldn't tell where this was going.

"So, since you're such a good friend of ours, you're going to let us hold the party here."

"What?!" Wendy jerked from her seat.

"Please?" Yeri revealed her puppy eyes which weren't even close to cute.

"No way! You are not holding a party in my apartment!"

"We'll pay you," Joy offered but Wendy didn't back down.

"Still no. What about Seulgi's apartment? We never go there," Wendy reminded both of the girls.

"Seulgi's apartment is full of easels and buckets of paint. Sometimes I wonder why she became a med student." It was true. Seulgi was an artist who joined a medical university because her parents forced her to. But that was a different story.

"Come one, Wendy, I'll owe you," Joy basically begged, "It's going to be lots of fun, I swear! You're always studying, I think you need a day off."

That put Wendy into thought. It had been a while since she last had actual fun. Maybe she needed this.

"What about my pets, though?"

"I'll take them to my place!" Joy was quick to respond - everything was planned in her mind. Wendy didn't worry about that, her pets wouldn't have a problem staying alone for a few hours as long as there was lots of food.

"Fine," she started and the girls immediately screamed in glee, "But on one condition." They paused, waiting for her to continue. "You'll help me clean the whole apartment after this."

"Of course!" the two girls said in unison and gave each other a high five. "This is going to be the best night of your life, Wendy, you won't regret it!"

"We must start decorating as soon as possible! First, we need to get the pets to my place. Yeri, you go home and bring the neon lights you bought last week. Then we need to buy the drinks..." Wendy stopped listening after a few minutes. She had agreed to this and there was no going back. So, she decided to enjoy this.

To be honest, Wendy really wanted to have some fun, drink alcohol, dance with her friends, but the main reason she had agreed to do this was because she loved seeing her friends happy. And right now they were ecstatic.

Grabbing Squirt's leash from where it was placed, she handed to Joy, "You'll need this."

"Thanks!"

"Also, let me put the cats in the cat carriers," Wendy said and brought said carriers from her room. "Yeri, their food is in the kitchen, second cupboard," she continued as she gently helped Hairy Potter and William Shakespaw move into the carriers.

"Yes, sir!" Yeri ran to the kitchen.

"You can invite your friends too," Joy suggested.

"But you are the only friends I have," Wendy mumbled.

"What about your neighbour?"

Wendy jerked her head up, "My neighbour?"

"Yeah. You've been hanging out with her quite often lately," Joy wiggled her eyebrows, teasing her. Wendy rolled her eyes, "It was one time."

"Still. You should invite her."

Inviting Irene or not was a difficult decision for many reasons. There was both a dark and a bright side to this. The dark side consisted of Wendy being an awkward and most importantly drunk mess in front of her which was a huge no. The bright side was that when she drunk she gained lots of confidence, and that could lead to good results. A good result in Wendy's vocabulary was a date with Irene. Not that she liked her or something. It would just be a... trial for a real date. Yes, definitely that.

"I'll think about it," she finally responded.

"Coward!" Yeri's voice could be heard from the kitchen. Joy agreed, "She's right. You're a coward."

Wendy crossed her arms, "I am not. This is my life and I'll do whatever I want."

"You're so touchy. Are you going to cry now?" Joy , making baby sounds. How stupid. Whatever Joy was trying to do, it wasn't working. "Shut up. I said I'll think about it. Don't make me change my mind about this party."

"Fine. Live your life like this. Pathetic," Joy grabbed her bag, "Yeri, we're leaving!"

"Coming!" Yeri yelled and rushed in the living room with a huge bag of cat food in one hand and a bag of dog food in the other. Wendy facepalmed, "Yeri, you won't need the whole bag-"

"Your pets are always hungry!" Well, that wasn't a lie.

"Let's go, Squirt." Joy leashed the husky carefully and walked away. Yeri somehow managed to fit the two cat carriers in her hands along with the bags and followed Joy. "Wait for me!"

Once the door closed, Wendy fell on the couch. The silence of the room made her blood as cold as the autumnal air that crept through an open window. The apartment was so empty without her pets.

Pathetic.

Joy's voice rang in her head again and again.


(...)


Time was running and the party was in less than five hours. Wendy agreed to bake a few things for Yeri and Joy's guests but looking at the time, she could tell she wouldn't make it. Since she was back to baking, she decided it was a great idea to finally bake that carrot cake for Irene too. Baking supplies littered the usually well kept kitchen and an empty pad lay in the middle of it, a pencil at the ready. Wendy just didn't believe in recipes, to her baking ideas just rolled out of the ether demanding to be discovered - and she was the woman for the job. Before the mayhem began she'd be in a meditative state, letting the spirit of the food flow into her mind.

The apron did nothing to protect her from the mess she had made. She tried to keep her hair out of the way but, even with a hair tie, strands escaped and fell on her face. Every so often she would move bowls, measuring out ingredients and occasionally swiping strands of hair away with her wrists achieving nothing but more flour on her cheeks.

She heard the doorbell ring in the distance, followed by a knock, “Wen, you in?" There was only one person in this world that called her Wen. It couldn't be other than Irene. She threw everything she was holding on the counter and rushed towards the door, forgetting that she was covered in flour, “Irene! Hey, what's up?” she opened the door and greeted her favourite neighbour. The latter, who was dressed in the most casual clothes but still looked like a queen, returned the greeting with a big smile, "Hey, it's been a while. Just wanted to say hello," that was when she noticed Wendy's appearance, "Are you baking something?"

"Some cinnamon buns and.... a carrot cake," she said with a small smile, "For you," she added shyly and avoided Irene's eyes.

"For me?" Irene gasped lightly, "Really?"

"Yes," she opened the door, "Wanna come in?" she gave herself a mental high five for managing to say this without stuttering.

“Sure,” Irene agreed but suddenly halted in her steps, "Your pets..."

"They're not here. Don't worry," Wendy laughed at Irene's worried face. At that, Irene let a revealed sigh escape her lips and walked in. Wendy walked behind the counter where the mess was, waiting for Irene.

Irene smiled, hooking her jacket onto the hanger next to the door, chuckling at the state of her and the kitchen. With a hopeless smile, they caught each other’s gaze, and Wendy shrugged, not knowing if she should be embarrassed or not. It didn’t matter to her though; today was going to be busy, a lot of things were planned, and she was lagging behind schedule. The party was in a few hours and Wendy was still messing with this cake.

“What’s in the oven?” Irene walked over to her.

“The cake," she replied, almost proud.

Irene took a glance at the cake, "Is that a purple bunny on top of it?"

Wendy chuckled, "Yes, it is. You like purple a lot, don't you?"

Irene's cheeks flushed, "How did you know?"

Wendy paused. She had just exposed herself. She always noticed all the details on Irene's appearance and she always wore something purple - usually socks. Even her apartment had small purple details. The most eye-catching though, was a purple painting she had in her living room. Wendy paid attention to every little detail on this woman. She bit her bottom lip nervously. Irene probably thought she was a stalker now.

"You wear purple socks very often," Wendy explained, hoping that she didn't sound like a creep.

Irene opened to talk but no words came out. Wendy gave her a confused look, "What's wrong?"

“Nothing, I just didn’t think you noticed me that much.”

“Of course, I do. You’re pretty amazing.” Wendy froze after saying that, facing towards the cake. She felt Irene's stare from behind her, as she hesitated in clearing . It was true, Irene was amazing, but why did she have to say it out loud? She was getting nervous again. It was understandable to be nervous around her, right? Since, when did she get comfortable with her anyways? Irene was such a great person. They were great neighbours and got along quite well. Irene was amazing, and there was nothing wrong with Wendy saying that to her.

Yes. Irene Bae was pretty amazing. That was okay to say.

It felt like a millennium until her neighbour spoke. “Smells good.” She was referring to the cake.

“Thank you,” Wendy muttered back.

“You’re pretty amazing yourself," Irene added. Wendy gulped and switched everything off, making sure nothing was producing heat. She continued to clean up, not wanting to look at Irene, placing used bowls into other bigger ones, and piling them into the sink - anything to keep her hands occupied. Kitchen utensils, like spatulas and large spoons, were chucked with them. She found a pack of opened chocolate chips, and you stuffed some in out of awkwardness and stress, hoping it all dissipated.

Irene shifted away from her, pointing at other equipment that had been used. “Do you need help with any of this?”

Looking over, Wendy saw her pick up a large bowl of icing, and she tried not to sound so muffled as she ate the chips out of the packet. “Oh, no, not that. I’ll be using that when the cake’s cooled down.”

“Is it just vanilla?” Irene took a spoon, digging it in and placing some into . She her lips, savouring the flavour. She screwed her face up. “I think I might need another taste.”

“Yes, what’s wrong with it?” Wendy asked, as Irene used her finger this time. She slipped her finger out, clean with a pop. Wendy only stared.

“You sure you put vanilla in this?” Irene asked, raising an eyebrow, another scoop of icing on her finger again, waving it a little. Wendy frowned, "Let me try," she said and got a taste too, "Oh my, you're right." Turns out Wendy had actually forgot to put vanilla and Irene wasn't messing with her. She thanked her and grabbed the vanilla pack that lay on the counter.

"I'll get going now. I have to go to the grocery store," Irene told her after washing her hands in the kitchen sink.

"Okay," Wendy replied, "I'll see you soon."

She accompanied the woman to the door and helped her put her jacket on. Irene waved goodbye and left. That was nice, Wendy thought. Now that she was free she could finally finish baking the goods for the party.

Wait.

The party! She should invite Irene at the party! Or shouldn't she?

"I must do this," Wendy talked to herself. She wasn't a coward. She could do this. She opened the door again and looked at her left, where Irene's door was. It was closed. The girl was already gone.

Disappointed, she was about to close the door when she heard a cough coming from the elevator. That was when she noticed that the doors were open. Irene stood there.

"Hey! Irene!" Wendy yelled a bit too loud, startling her neighbour. Nevertheless, the latter held the door open for her. Wendy ran quickly inside and stood next to her, "Hi," she greeted her again awkwardly. Irene raised an eyebrow but smiled, "Hey again," she said in a soft voice and pressed the button for the ground floor.

"Are you doing anything tonight?" Wendy tried to start a conversation before inviting her to the party.

"No, I'm free."

"That's great." All the reasons not to do this came flooding in, as if her body chemistry just sent them a blanket invitation. She felt the soft panic that could grow or fade depending on what she did next. But she didn't know any other way to keep this conversation alive and she was starting to get nervous. So, she went straight to the point.

"I'm having a party tonight and I want you to come."

Irene raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Only if you want to of course," Wendy added quickly.

"A party?" her neighbour asked.

"Yeah. Well, it's more like a small gathering. There's gonna be music, food, drinks," her voice trailed off. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Irene looked hesitant. Too hesitant.

"Um, I don't really like parties. I'll have to think about it," Irene looked away. Wendy's heart clenched. That was basically an indirect 'no'.

"Alright then."

A few awkward seconds passed before the elevator dinged indicating that they had reached the ground floor. Irene was quick to step out of the elevator.

"Hope I'll see you tonight," Wendy quickly said, and Irene gave her one last glance and a forced smile. The elevator doors closed slowly, almost painfully, and Wendy stood there hoping that Irene would respond but she never did. The door closed fully. This was a bad idea. She shouldn't have asked. Irene didn't look like a person who went to parties after all.


(...)


"And we're done!" Joy announced, placing a pink balloon on the floor.

The time had finally come. In less than half an hour the small apartment would be filled with God knows how many people. Wendy realized she had never asked Joy. The small flat was simply decorated with ribbons and balloons. A series of party lights hang from the walls. Yeri said they'd look awesome once the other lights were closed. The coffee table was moved to the side of the room, leaving more free space for the guests. The kitchen was full of drinks, alcoholic and not. Joy connected her phone to the speakers, ready to start the party. The girls looked pretty in their party outfits which were just casual clothes but with much more make-up.

"How do I look?" Wendy asked Seulgi once she finished dressing up.

"You look great, Wendy. I told you these pants were made for you!" Seulgi clapped her hands with excitement. The party was starting soon and Wendy was getting more and more nervous.

The bell rang. The first guest was here. Wendy panicked.

Did her breath smell nice? Was her make-up good enough? She should check immediately. "I'm going to the bathroom real quick," she announced to her friends.

"Don't be late!" Joy told her as she opened the door and welcomed the first group of people. Wendy disappeared in the bathroom before she could see how many they were. She could feel her pulse pounding in her temples. It was a relief to get into the bathroom because between her shoes and her shaking legs, she was afraid she would trip. She looked at herself in the mirror. Why was she so nervous? Her make-up looked amazing, her clothes complimented her slim figure, her hair hung above her shoulders perfectly. What was wrong with her? She shook her head violently, but her thoughts would not dislodge themselves. They would drive her insane.

She was thinking about her.

Why was she thinking about her, there was no way she would come.

Wendy shook her head one last time and her thoughts finally disappeared. Irene wasn't coming, so there was no need for her to feel this way. Tonight, she was going to enjoy herself.

A roar of laughs came from the living room. It sounded like more than ten people were laughing and Wendy wondered when did all these people come. She decided it was time to leave the bathroom.

When she stepped out fell open. Her small apartment was filled with more than forty people already. Damn, how long had she been in the bathroom! This wasn't what she had in mind when she agreed to hold a party at her house. She was going to kill Joy. Tomorrow. She was going to kill Joy tomorrow. Tonight, she wanted to have fun.

The room was dimly lit, the bright vivid lights glowing up the living room and kitchen. Music suddenly filled the air without effort, like the waves filling holes in beach sand; the sound rushing in and around every person in the room. Some reacted to the beat, others continued in chatter, but always it spoke to them in some manner.

The music became as loud as thunder; it made the windows rattle. Neon lights flashed everywhere like police sirens, but much more colourful. Where did Yeri even found these lights, they were so cool! Wendy just about made out the recognisable faces of Yeri, Joy and Seulgi, hidden by the bodies of others, cups in their hand, the cups in their hands implying they had already started drinking without her.

Wendy made her way out of the 'dance floor’ which could be seen as her tiny living room any other day, and joined her friends. She thought her apartment wouldn’t be able to hold a huge crowd, but she was proven wrong. It seemed like every single crevice of the small flat had been useful.

“Yeri, I really think you should slow down with the drinking,” Wendy tried to ply the full cup of whatever it was Yeri was drinking from her hand, but Yeri just snatched her hand back and shook her head.

“Just one more!” Yeri giggled before turning and practically skipping into the bedroom. Seulgi immediately followed behind. Yeri shouldn't be left alone at a state like this.

"I think we should help Seulgi," Joy suggested. Wendy was quick to agree and they both walked, or at least tried to, through the dancing crowd and went into the bedroom.

Yeri lay there on her bed, with Seulgi sitting next to her. "She'll be fine," Seulgi said shaking a lazy hand. She knew how to deal with this, she was a med student after all.

"Yeri, you are not allowed to drink for the rest of the night," Joy grabbed a cushion and sat on the floor, close to Yeri. That made Yeri snap, "What? I barely drunk anything!" she stood up, "Look! I'm fine!" she wasn't. But then again Wendy couldn't tell because Yeri always acted like a drunk person.

Joy completely ignored Yeri's weird movements and turned her attention to Wendy, "Is Irene coming?"

Wendy's ears perked at the sound of her neighbour's name, "Irene? Um, she said she'll think about it," she finished with a frown. Irene definitely didn't want to come but she was too polite to say no.

"If Irene decides to join us tonight," Joy smirked, "You're gonna have some fun with her," she finished with a wink. Wendy almost choked on her saliva, "What the hell are you saying! And why are you smirking!" she said a bit too panicked. Seulgi laughed at her reaction, "Come on, Wendy. We've been friends since forever. I can tell you like her. Heck, you even went on a date with her!"

Wendy rolled her eyes, "Don't be ridiculous. I would have told you, wouldn't I?" That seemed to bring Seulgi to a lot of thought because, indeed, Wendy always told her when she liked someone. Before Joy could open , Wendy spoke again, "Stay here with Yeri. I'm going to bring some drinks for the rest of us." And with that she vanished to the kitchen where the drinks were located. She didn't want to start drinking just yet, but she really had to escape from Joy and her dangerous questions.

Grabbing a few cans of beer from the fridge, she scanned the living room with her eyes. She had no idea who all these people were. The house would definitely be a mess tomorrow, Wendy was sure. As she walked back to the bedroom, she saw the front door open, light from the hallway coming into the living room. The light disappeared immediately once the door closed, and Wendy squeezed her eyes to see who entered the apartment. How many people did Joy invite-


It was Irene.


Wendy's mind went blank, her eyes wide as she stared at the woman in surprise.

Irene walked in and Wendy was sure this woman could have graced any billboard or magazine cover, but she was better than those two dimensional photoshopped models. Her skin was soft and pale, flawless. There was a shyness to her, hesitation in her body movements. She was casual, but smartly dressed in black pants and a button up shirt. Her face was made up, but not over done and her long dark hair fell naturally on her shoulders. Wendy could scarcely breathe as she watched her run a hand through her hair. The cans of beer almost escaped her hands as she continued to stare at the woman.

She came.

And when Irene noticed her presence, their eyes locked for a few seconds. Wendy held her breath. The only thing she was aware of, was the sound of her heart throbbing against the cage of her chest.

Wendy walked up to her slowly and unconsciously pulled her closer, wrapping her arms around her. Irene's embrace was so warm. The world around Wendy melted away when Irene squeezed her back, not wanting the moment to end.

“You came!” Wendy said out of breath, smiling brightly at her, stepping back to admire her figure, "You look," her breath hitched, "Gorgeous." Irene responded with a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter