One

A Crown of Lilies

The familiar shrill of the bell signalled the end of the lecture. Students started getting excited and packed up their bags while the lecturer tried to remind them about the assignment that was due in a month’s time. There were a handful of students who tried to catch what he was saying but the majority of the class made their way out of the classroom.

Kwon Mina stretched their arms and rubbed the back of her sore neck. It was a fruitful lesson for her and she felt accomplished. Packing her stuff, she slung her bag over her shoulder and was about to follow her classmates out of the lecture hall.

“Ms Kwon Mina!” Mr Choi, Mina’s Sociology lecturer, called out to her.

Mina spun around and saw him walking towards her with a huge grin on his face. Mina did not know what he was thinking, and started to feel a tad uncomfortable at the expression he was giving her.

“Is there something I can help you with, Mr Choi?” Mina softly asked.

Mr Choi quickly shook his head, but the smile on his face did not disappear. Taking out a stack of papers, he showed it to her. Mina saw that it was the report she had written for the previous assignment and wondered if there was something wrong with it.

“You are an excellent student, Ms Kwon.” Mr Choi spoke. “I really enjoyed your theory on ‘Forgiveness’.”

“Thank you Mr Choi.” Mina gave him a grin, happy that she was being complimented.

“I don’t get why you are majoring in Business. Why don’t you switch over to Psychology? Or maybe take a double degree? I could really use someone like you as my research student.”

Mina started to feel really uncomfortable. She did not like turning people down. But she also has a mind of her own. She does not bend easily to the will of others.

Just then, her phone rang and she thanked the Gods for helping out. Whipping her phone out, she looked at her lecturer. “Sorry Mr Choi. I’m late for my part-time job. I’ve got to get going.” She bowed and rushed out of the room.

When she had gone far enough, she looked at her phone and saw an unknown number. Answering it, she realised it was one of those automated scam calls and hung up the phone.

“Hey,” Someone called out and Mina looked up. There were three guys standing in front of her and she subconsciously took a step back. They were strangers, but she had experienced enough to know what they were going to say next. “You are cute. Wanna hang out with us?” One of them said.

Mina frowned. She disliked these types of guys the most. They did not even know who she was. They are only talking to her because of her looks. Mina knows that she is pretty. Everyone had been telling her that ever since she was young. While it does bring her attention, she had also received the negative side to it.

“I’m sorry, I have plans.” Mina bowed and quickly walked away. Peeking over her shoulder, she saw that the boys did not follow her. Most of them would ask her out but thankfully they would usually not persist after being rejected.

Glancing at her watch, she saw she still had around three hours till her next lecture and decided to head to her favourite café to study. Walking down the same street, it only took her less than 10 minutes till she reached the beige coloured roof with the words ‘The Garden Pot’.

She pushed open the door, ringing the bell that was dangling on top. As it was a Tuesday afternoon, it was much quieter than usual. There were only a few tables being occupied. The Garden Pot had its name due to the café being a floral themed shop. There were plants and flowers and decorations and flowers were even incorporated into the drinks and desserts.

“Oh, Mina, I don’t remember you having work today.” Seokjin said when he saw his co-worker.

“Hey. I don’t. I’m just here to pass time. I have another lecture at 4:30 p.m.” Mina smiled. Kim Seokjin was a few years older than her and he has been working in this café before she joined. “I’ll just have a grilled cheese sandwich and iced mocha please.”

Mina paid for her meal and took a seat beside the window. She used her phone while she waited for her food to arrive. The bell rang and Mina saw a man wearing a blue shirt with the words ‘Petal Dome’ on it. It was their flower supplier. The man headed to the counter to talk to Seokjin.

“Mina,” Seokjin called her. “He will be coming back again for another bag. Can you help me get it? I need to scorch some marshmallows.” Mina nodded and waited for the guy.

The door opened again and Mina anticipated the delivery man but the person that entered was someone different. When she saw who it was, she had thought she was having a lucky day. First, her lecturer heavily praised her and now, there was a beautiful man in a suit and tie standing there.

There were a few celebrities that had caught her attention but the man that came in was different. He was wearing a suit and tie. He seemed so intimidating yet beautiful at the same time. He looked like a rose that was full of thorns.

“Excuse me,” The delivery man came back into the cafe and Mina quickly went to attend to him. After collecting the goods, she placed it at the side counter so Seokjin could collect it later.

Mina shifted back her attention to the beautiful man. He was standing near the counter as he looked at the menu. She could not help but to admire his side profile.

A loud crash coming from the kitchen pulled Mina back to the real world. Realising what had just happened, she quickly ran into the kitchen. “Seokjin!”

On the floor was a shattered glass and Seokjin had managed to jump far away enough so he did not get hurt.

“I’m fine! Don’t come in or you might hurt yourself.” Seokjin headed to where the broom was and started mumbling to himself on how careless he was and how the boss is going to deduct it from his pay. “Hey Mina, mind attending the counter for me while I clean this up?”

Mina nodded and took one of the aprons behind the kitchen door. She wore it and quickly went out to attend to the customers. The first person she saw standing there was the beautiful man who had come in.

Mina started to feel nervous and she could feel her palms sweating. Clearing , she tried to act professional and went up to the counter. “Sorry to keep you waiting. What can I get for you today?”

“It’s fine. Accidents happen.” The beautiful man spoke and Mina could not help but to notice how deep and rich his voice was. She actually found it calm and comforting. “A latte please.”

Mina took his money and gave him back the change. While preparing his coffee, she sneaked a peek at him. He was leaning against the side counter scrolling through his phone while his other hand was in his pocket. This posture only made his legs look longer.

When she was done with his coffee, she pressed his buzzer and he walked to the collection point. He took the cup from her. “Thank you.. Lee Jin-hyuk?” He raised a brow at her name.

Mina tilted her head to the side a little in confusion. She then looked down at the tag that was on her apron and saw that it belonged to her male co-worker. Blushing a little in embarrassment, she covered the name tag with her hand. “It’s Kwon Mina.” She introduced herself.

He gave her a small smile and nodded.

“Thank you, Kwon Mina.”