CHAPTER 1

Matching Cupid

Yewon, the matchmaker, had her arms crossed in front of her chest – her left foot lightly tapping the white tiled floor. She was standing in front of a glass wall as she observe the girl who was lying unconscious on the  medium sized ward bed.

 

The sight in front of her was something she couldn’t understand. Couldn’t decipher. Couldn’t take in. Questions overflowed her thoughts ever since she was summoned back to the realm for emergency purposes.

 

“Matchmaker Yewon, your current mission in the mortal world is aborted for it is on passed to another matchmaker. Please immediately head back to the mystical realm. The board of council will have an emergency meeting in a few days and they wish for your presence.”

 

When she read that letter, the girl thought that maybe it was because of another trouble that someone caused and they want her to fix it for them. Or maybe she would be training new recruits. After all, Sojung, who usually does those things, is gone. Vanished into thin air.

 

Cupid went completely missing after the stupid scheme she had done at the artificial beach which Eunha created. All signals that the tall girl was emitting turned into a loud static before shutting off every computers that knows her location. Even when they sent out search parties to find any trace of the fallen one, they had seen nothing. Not even a single sign of Cupid’s presence.

 

The only thing that stayed were her information sheets.

 

All the files containing her information was still there and that only means that Cupid is alive and is waiting for someone to find her. Those files were the one that kept them believing that Sojung didn’t suffer the same fate as the grim reaper who fell in love with a mere human.

 

Days of searching turned into months and the files were still there. Meaning that Cupid was waiting for them to find her. There was no single day where they stopped searching the place where she was last seen.

 

The longer they search and as the time flies, hope was slowly fading. Even thinking that there may be just an error with her data. That maybe her files were still there because Cupid is alive but is now at the forbidden place – a place where traitors are sent to suffer for eternity.

 

The search party was slowly getting fewer each month until that day hit the calendar. The day where Cupid sacrificed herself in order to save a mere human.

 

When that exact date had hit the calendar, every piece of clothes and gadgets Sojung owns disappeared, the files that were on the cabinet vanished. Even her information as a matchmaker disappeared from the server.

 

Everything related to her disappeared like a bubble.

 

Sojung only remained as a mere memory as someone they cherished and someone who broke the law.

 

As soon as they realized that everything related to her disappeared and every should return to order. Search parties were called back, no one can and should ever mention Cupid in the realm, no one will search for her, and they all should go back to their normal lives and act like she didn’t even existed.

 

Achieving that act like Cupid didn’t exist wasn’t a walk in a park. Who could even forget such a sweet and caring girl? Who could forget the one who made their workplace lively with her jokes and stubbornness?

 

It wasn’t easy doing that. Not for the other agents, not for Kyung, not for Yewon, and specially for Eunha.

 

It may be easy for the others who barely knows Sojung to  erase her in their daily lives, but not for them. Even so, they had to pretend that they’re doing fine.

 

Kyung buried himself in doing research for a way to bring back his niece or turn back time. If there was only a way to turn back time, he would not hesitate to remove the lock on the folder of Sojung’s next pair so the girl could just easily shoot her arrow and return safely on the realm.

 

Yewon became a workaholic. Voluntarily taking almost all of the matchmaking works and no one would see her have time to relax. The young girl went back and fort from the mystical realm and the mortal world.

 

Eunha on the other hand, did everything to distract her. Traveling the to mortal world’s famous places despite of seeing those destinations for countless of times, going to clubs and drinking to her heart’s content. No one could stop her and no one even tried to. Understanding how hard it must have been for the small girl to lose the only one whom she considered as a true friend and a family.

 

The three of them had different ways in coping with the tragedy but there was one thing that similarly share. Their smiles. The smiles on their faces faded after Sojung was gone.

 

Their genuine smile and laughter was no longer there.

 

Sorrow filled their souls.

 

Emptiness scattered in their workplace.

 

And when they thought that the once special person in their life won’t be coming back, hell broke loose.

 

An unconscious body was found in Cupid’s room. It was someone who resembles the long gone girl. Every inch of her was identical.

 

Most importantly, all the missing files of the girl returned.

 

As if Cupid – Sojung – came back from the dead.

 

And no one knows how.

 

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

 

Light footsteps approached Yewon, pulling her out from her ocean of thoughts.

 

“You’ve been standing here for four hours straight.” Yewon turned her head to the owner of the voice for a split second before returning her gaze to the unconscious Cupid look alike.

 

“Is it wrong to watch over Cupid’s doppelganger?” Yewon stated, her eyes still focused on the girl on the other side of the room. Eunha shrugged and took a deep breath.

 

“Not really. But it is fascinating isn’t it?” The newly arrived girl trailed off for a few seconds before continuing. “Fascinating how she survived the horrendous fate of our kind when falling in love with a mere human.”

 

Hearing such statement caught the younger girl’s attention, making her raise a brow and stare at Psyche. She kept mum. Puzzled at how the older girl looked at the unconscious woman.

 

A mixed of worry, relief, and amusement was painted on the latter’s face as she watch the one who resembles Cupid.

 

“Why is your expression like that?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like she’s Cupid. Our Sojung? She may be only someone who looks like her so why do you look like you’re concerned and happy to that person?”

 

Yewon couldn’t help but ask the latter such a ridiculous question when she herself was like than when she first saw the condition of the unconscious girl.

 

The older girl smirked upon hearing the question and what she said next made the latter puzzled.

 

“But she is Cupid.” A small smile formed on Psyche’s lips.

 

She is Cupid. Those words lingered the mind of the younger girl. Her breath becoming heavier and heavier the more it rings in her head.

 

As much as she wants to believe the older girl, a part of her doesn’t want to. Why? There still is no proof of the girl being really Sojung. The medical staffs at the laboratory was still conducting tests and extorting the memories of the unknown girl.

 

It has been more than a month ever since the tests started and all they could find was the girl’s brain had something that’s protecting her memories from being messed with.

 

None of them could understand if it was a spell protecting the girl’s memory or she was simply really not the girl they had waited for.

 

It shouldn’t be that difficult to enter someone’s memories – specially when it should be easier to do that when the one whom they are doing it to is unconscious.

 

“You’re joking, right?” The matchmaker unbelievably asked the older girl who tilted her head upon hearing her question.

 

“I’m not joking.” Eunha calmly answered the matchmaker before turning her gaze towards Cupid.

 

As much as the younger girl should be happy with the news, Psyche understands why the girl is confused. Even herself didn’t believe it when she first heard it. Her mindset was the same as Yewon – it couldn’t possibly be the real Cupid. 

 

In no way the girl could be her.

 

She saw how the taller girl slowly vanished in the air as she chanted the spell that could lift the curse on the mortal whom she loved. She saw how all of Cupid’s information disappeared from the staff document and employee server as if her whole existence was erased. As if she was not even part of this world.

 

So who would believe that the girl who broke the most important rule would even survive the wrath of the law. Her past life didn’t even get forgiven so why will she be an exemption?

 

Why would the heavens let her live?

 

Everyone knows how cruel the gods are to lawbreakers so why would they exempt Cupid from facing their wrath?

 

“I know it’s hard to believe. Trust me, my reaction was like yours when I first heard it. I was lost for words and puzzled at the same time. My mind was confused. Like why would she be alive when we all saw how she vanished into thin air? Why would she be alive when she should be facing the same fate as the grim reaper who also loved a mortal? Why would she be an exemption to the law? What she did was despicable that it may even be called as a treason. So why? And most importantly, how did she survive?” Eunha closed her eyes and took a long deep breath. “Why, how, and what the hell happened during the past whole years she was missing? Why did she just appear now?”

 

Hearing every word that came out from the older girl’s mouth, Yewon wanted to say something but all she could do was only open – no words came out as if there were a big lump in that’s stopping her to speak.

 

All of what Psyche’s stated was the same as what she was currently thing. As if her mind was read by the latter. Even the questions that swarm her mind were the same as the older girl’s.

 

Silence filled the room. Only the noise of the machines near Cupid and the footsteps of the medical staffs walking the ward can be heard.

 

Both of the matchmakers were quiet.

 

Eunha only stared at the girl on the other room and Yewon was left in disbelief, trying to collect herself and make herself say something.

 

She has so many questions. She was confused and lost after the confession.

 

It took a while before herself made her speak what’s on her mind. “How and where did you find out that the unconscious girl lying on that bed is really Cupid?” Yewon asked but the latter kept silent, intentionally doing it, for she knew that that one question isn’t the only one that the younger girl wanted to ask.

 

“As far as I know, they’re still conducting tests on that girl so how do you know it’s her?”

 

Upon hearing the last question, which Psyche presume it is the last one, she turned her body to the side and faced the younger one. She stared at the girl’s bewildered face before answering all of the questions she shot at her.

 

“As you know, I was abruptly summoned here this morning.” The girl clicked her tongue and took a step closer to the latter before continuing. “The reason for that sudden summoning happened to be that Kyung wanted to tell me that the results of the brain tests of Cupid has been completed. Everything inside her memory is undoubtedly Sojung’s. Even the fingerprint is the same as hers.”

 

Knowing the fact that it was her father who informed Eunha and the mere thought of not informing her first made the younger girl knit her eyebrows and slightly close her fist.

 

She was summoned first and had been watching over the unconscious girl for days but why did her father decide to inform someone else first?

 

She knows that Eunha is also someone who considers Sojung as someone dear to her. After all, they were someone who couldn’t be separated when they were still children but why didn’t Yewon hear the news first? It couldn’t be because they were going to keep that information from her, right?

 

“And my father didn’t tell me this?” The matchmaker asked, trying her best to remain calm.

 

“There’s an emergency meeting tonight and I think…” Eunha stopped for a brief moment. “You’re part of it?”

 

“What do you mean an emergency meeting will happen tonight?”

 

It was evident that Yewon had no clue about the meeting that will happen tonight which clearly made Eunha bite her lower lip. She said something she shouldn’t have. Cold sweats formed on her forehead and she was stammering with her words and blabbering nonsensical stuff to the younger girl.

 

The younger one watched the latter try to come up with a reasonable explanation for a few seconds before heaving a sigh and shaking her head in disbelief.

 

“You know what, I’ll just go talk to my father and ask why I am left out with this important news and what this emergency meeting is all about.” Yewon calmly said before turning around to walk out the door.

 

Eunha on the other hand regrets mentioning the emergency meeting that will be held this night.

 

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

 

Yewon couldn’t believe that they left her out for such an important matter. What’s the point of dismissing her from her current mission if they’ll leave her out of all the important details?

 

Plus the fact that she wasn’t informed and didn’t even bother informing her about the tests being already finished is just ridiculous.

 

Utter ridiculousness.

 

Her father really have some explaining to do.

 

Yewon would surely make him tell her every single information they have found out towards that mysterious girl which Eunha claims to be the real Cupid.

 

She was walking so fast that she didn’t greet back the ones who were greeting her on her way to Kyung’s office. The only thing that’s on her mind right at this moment is that test result Psyche was talking about.

 

It was only a few rooms away before she reaches her father’s office when the device on her wrist blipped and a title saying important notice is written on her screen.

As soon as she read that, her feet stopped from carrying themselves to Kyung’s office. Her hand immediately clicked the notification and a hologram screen appeared on top of the decide.

 

And the moment she finished reading the message, gaped open and she felt her lower limb get weak. Her vision slowly turning into a blur as the tips of curl up out of joy and relief that she is feeling.

 

She's alive.

 

She's really alive.

 

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

 

Dear Agent Kim Yewon,

 

We are sending you this message to inform you that the couple that you were supposed to match before the task was given to someone else has been completely aborted.

 

The said couple, Jung Yerin and Hwang Eunbi, won’t be pursued anymore for there seems to be an unforeseen circumstances.

 

It happens to be that their destined ones has been magically changed.

 

We don’t know the reason how and why did this happened but it seems like the girl that was found at Cupid’s room may be the reason for this abrupt change of fate of the two.

 

Jung Yerin is now paired with her current partner, Choi Yuna. On the other hand, Hwang Eunbi is now paired with none other than Cupid herself.

 

This might sound ridiculous to you because we all thought that Cupid had really vanished like the Grim Reaper from the past centuries --- but as you know, we have been taking tests on the girl who has the exact same feature as Cupid and we are to inform you that the girl found in Cupid’s room and Cupid herself are only person.

 

They are the same person.

 

We have no idea how this happened nor what happened to her during the time she vanished for even her memories doesn’t seem to have any information what had happened next after the sacrifice.

 

We are also informing you that you will be the one to pair Cupid and the mortal, Hwang Eunbi. You will also have a partner for this mission and will introduce her by tonight’s emergency meeting.

 

Your presence at tonight’s emergency board of council meeting will be highly appreciated. Please attend it for further details and instructions regarding your new mission.

 

Sincerely Yours,

Cupid’s Association Council

 

 

Author’s Note: Hello, it’s been a long time ever since Cupid's Arrow has been finished but here comes the long awaited sequel! I hope you guys will enjoy this journey as much as you did with the first entry!

--- Also, please don’t be a silent reader since I love hearing your thoughts about the stories I make. And please do support this story J