Final

Run away with me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun wandered around the village, her face buried in a book. She had her leather bag around her waist, her pruning knife hanging on her belt. She reached the entrance of her village.

“Joohyun.” A familiar voice stopped her in her tracks. “Don’t go into the forest. Stay on the path.”

Joohyun nodded and left. Of course, she would go into the forest. She was looking for plants, and it was the best place. There was a legend about a demon living here.  Joohyun didn’t believe this. It was a story for kids so they wouldn’t go into the forest alone and get lost. It was stupid. She didn’t understand why people were still telling her to be careful. She wasn’t a child anymore.

Joohyun walked to the forest, taking care of not getting lost. She was used to going there, but still, she needed to be careful. She looked for a couple of plants that she was sure to find here.

She liked the silence in the forest. She felt free from the noises of the village, of the morning market, of the kids playing. And then, she heard a sound. She stopped moving. She wasn’t that far in the forest, what animals could be here? Joohyun let out a sigh. She was scared of animals. Scary ones. Little ones. All animals.

But she discovered a young woman with long dark hair. They stared at each other, both equally surprised.

“You scared me.” Joohyun finally talked, and the other woman frowned. “I’ve never seen you in the village before.” The woman shook her head but kept silent. “Who are you?”

“I’m living in the forest.” The woman finally spoke. “Why are you here?”

Joohyun’s eyes widened. “I didn’t know someone was living here.”

“I don’t like being around people.” Joohyun frowned but the woman let out a chuckle. “What a strange girl.” She mumbled. “I’m Seulgi.”

Joohyun’s eyes slowly drifted to the woman’s wrist. She had a black stripe. For a moment, she had doubted the story people had told her. But Seulgi wasn’t a demon. She had a stripe. Only humans had a stripe, and so a soulmate.

“Are you okay?” Seulgi’s voice sounded almost worried.

“Yes.” Joohyun briefly answered. “I need to get going.” And she disappeared without another word.

 

Joohyun thought she wouldn’t find herself, here again, even a week later. Silently looking for the lonely beautiful woman she had met. She was curious. Maybe, too curious. She didn’t even know Seulgi. What if she was harmful? Joohyun let out a sigh, thinking she was really an idiot.

“Are you lost?” An almost familiar voice echoed behind her.

Joohyun froze. She wished she hadn’t come here. Seulgi appeared in front of her, a smile on her lips.

“No?” Joohyun finally let out, but it sounded more like a question.

“Are you looking for another plant?” Seulgi curiously eyed her.  

“No?”

Seulgi silently raised an eyebrow, obviously surprised by Joohyun’s answer.

“Are you alone?” Seulgi frowned at the unexpected question. Joohyun silently pointed the woman’s wrist. “You have a stripe.”

Seulgi showed her a smile which looked almost sad. “I do.”

“You don’t like it?”

“I don’t.”

Joohyun frowned. Who wouldn’t like their stripe? Who wouldn’t want a soulmate? “Why?”

Seulgi let out a chuckle, amused by Joohyun’s curiosity. “Who are you?” Joohyun stayed silent. “Tell me who you are, and I will tell you why.”

It couldn’t be bad after all, Joohyun thought. “I’m Joohyun. I’m a herbalist.”

Seulgi raised an eyebrow. That explained why she was looking for plants. “Nice to meet you, Joohyun.” The herbalist shrugged. “I don’t like it because I’m the only one with a stripe.”

Joohyun titled her head slightly, trying to understand. She looked at her own wrist. She had a stripe too. A black one, just like Seulgi’s.

“We’re not the same kind, Joohyun.” Joohyun gulped, wondering what Seulgi meant. “You really believe I’m a human? You don’t believe the stories elders told you?”

Joohyun stepped back. It was real. The story was real. A demon was living in the forest. Hundreds of questions fought in Joohyun’s mind. She was curious and intrigued. But a part of her was scared. Demons were legends.

“Only humans have soulmates.”

“I know.”

“Are you lying to scare me?”

Seulgi didn’t say a single word. She passed her hand through her hair, her gaze on Joohyun. The herbalist’s eyes widened when she noticed them. Seulgi’s full black eyes.

“You believe me now?”

Joohyun stepped back again before turning around. At the moment, Seulgi knew that she wouldn’t see Joohyun ever again.

 

Joohyun didn’t know which ones of them was the most surprised by the fact that she was currently in the forest. She didn’t really understand why she decided to come again. Maybe, she was curious. She just hoped her curiosity wouldn’t lead her to death. Seulgi simply stared at the herbalist. Her eyes were brown, just like the first time Joohyun had met her.

“I’m surprised to see you there.” Seulgi admitted, her tone still soft.

It had been days. The demon looked at the floor, expecting Joohyun to say something. But the herbalist didn’t. So, she looked at her again.

“I won’t hurt you.” Joohyun nodded, making Seulgi know that she was listening. “Have you… told anyone?” Joohyun shook her head this time. “Why did you come back?” Joohyun shrugged. She didn’t dare to talk.

Seulgi walked away, deeper in the forest. Joohyun stared at her. And then, she followed her. It took a couple of minutes to reach a stretch of water. Joohyun had never been that deep into the forest before. Not because she was afraid of the legend which wasn’t really a legend but because she didn’t want to get lost.

Seulgi sat down on a big rock near the water. Her gaze was lost in the landscape in front of her. Joohyun sat down next to her. Her look flickered between the demon and nature.

“I’m half-demon and half-human. That’s why I have that stupid stripe. Demons don’t want me with them. I’m shameful. Demons don’t have a soulmate. Demons don’t have empathy. Demons don’t know love. Demons make children, so they keep existing.” Joohyun listened carefully, like a child who was being told a story. “My parents were different. My mom was human. And my dad fell in love with her. So, demons were actually capable of loving. But he was killed when other demons discovered that. My mom ran away with me and protected until her last breath.” Seulgi went quiet for a couple of seconds. “I don’t even know why I’m telling you that.”

Joohyun felt an unfamiliar feeling in her stomach. Was she pitying the demon? Maybe. No one deserved such a thing because they were different, whatever that word really meant. She didn’t know Seulgi. The demon looked weirdly lovely. But maybe it was just a wall. Maybe she was doing that, so she could just use Joohyun later.

But their gazes finally met. Joohyun noticed the tears running on Seulgi’s face. She dared to move her hand to wipe them. Seulgi’s skin was cold. So cold.

“Aren’t you scared?” Seulgi said after she sniffled.

“I don’t know.” Joohyun admitted, her voice quiet. “Did you stay alone all this time?” She removed her hand.

Seulgi nodded, looking at the water once more. “Mostly. I ran into some humans, but I was scared. So, I scared them, I made them leave. They thought they shouldn’t try to fight a demon. So, it was forbidden for humans to go to the forest.”

“But you look human.”

Seulgi smiled, it was so hurt that it almost broke Joohyun’s heart. “I couldn’t control my shape.”

“You have shapes?” Joohyun’s tone sounded surprised. Seulgi couldn’t help but let out a giggle.

“I do. I guess it’s because I’m not fully human but not fully demon.” Joohyun stared at Seulgi’s face, catching every detail of her features. “You should go. It’s getting late.”

Joohyun stood up and looked at the forest. She had no idea about where she was. She hesitated. And then, she felt Seulgi next to her.

“I’ll bring you back to the main path.”

 

A week had passed. And Joohyun was looking for Seulgi again. She spent almost one hour walking around. She tried to find the spot near the water. But she didn’t know this part of the forest.

“Joohyun?” She immediately turned around. “What are you doing here?” Seulgi asked, and she sounded worried. “You’re not looking for plants, are you?”

“I was…” Joohyun avoided the demon’s eyes. “Looking for you.”

Seulgi smiled. It was genuine, Joohyun thought. “Come with me.” And Joohyun did. She didn’t hesitate, not even for a second.

They sat by the water again. Joohyun looked around her during the whole walk. She wanted to remember this place.

“Is your home far from here?” Seulgi raised an eyebrow. Joohyun quickly understood that maybe she shouldn’t have asked. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Seulgi smiled. “Have you visited other places before?”

Joohyun thought for a moment. “No, I stayed in the village. And well, the forest. But I never went that far before. They say it’s dangerous.”

“They?”

“The elders.” Joohyun looked at Seulgi. “I can go to the forest because I’m a herbalist. I need plants to work.” Seulgi quietly nodded. “What do you do all day?”

“When I can I draw. On everything I find. Sometimes I read the same old books.”

“You can read?” Joohyun couldn’t help herself.

“My mom taught me.” Seulgi felt the herbalist’s gaze leaving her. “Do you live with your family?”

“I live in my store. But my parents are living next door. So I see them every day.”

It went quiet. Joohyun liked that place. It felt good. She had never seen so much water into the same space before. She didn’t really want to go closer though. She unconsciously touched the dark stripe on her arm.

 “Have you met your soulmate?” Seulgi asked, and Joohyun looked at her. Their eyes met again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter