Sunday

Maybe Tomorrow?

That Sunday evening,  I've heard the raindrops began falling on the rooftop. With my half-asleep state, I've tried to open my eyes to look at the time - - - It was 11:00 o'clock in the evening---marks the clock. I looked at my side of the bed to find out an empty spot. I've started to feel the coldness of room, "It must be the rain." I told myself, with the continuous downpour on the outside... I tried to convince myself that it was for that reason.

But the feeling of coldness and emptiness tells me otherwise.

"If only I..." I thought to myself, listening to the heavy sound of the rain that matches the loud and rapid beating of my heart at that moment. 

I picked up my my phone and dialed your number. As the phone began to rang, and to my surprise, you picked up my call faster than I have expected. At that time, I can't explain the feelings that's pouring down on me. I was happy for the fact that you were able to answer my call, but at the same time, I was scared of what I might hear from the other line.

So, I decided to whisper a little prayer before giving myself the courage to speak up. 

But I was suprised to hear you voice first. 

"Hello."  You said, with your familiar warm voice that ironically feels cold and distant that night---I can't help but to feel it that way. That fact alone is enough to put out the little spark of hope that I had a while ago.

"I'm putting off this call now..." you said with a hint of impatience, hearing no response from me.

"Hold on..." I told you hurriedly, afraid that you might actually end my call right now and I'll be missing the chance to ever talk to you again. 

"I'm sorry..." 

"P-please come home." I finally said, trying to control the shaking of my voice, in which I still failed to do so anyway. 

There was a long moment of silence. Your caller I. D. was still on my phone screen. Which only means that you're still on the line. I don't know for what reason you're still there but not saying anything. Are you listening? or did you decided to ignore me? I don't know... 

Many things are running inside my head, but I gripped my phone as if it was the last card that I have to save myself... to save us from this pit. 

Then I've heard your deep sigh on the other line, and you said, "I'll be home when the rain stops." Then you ended the call. 

"Yes please. I will wait for you." I said to you over the phone even if I know you wouldn't hear me anyway. Tears after tears began to fall fron my eyes like the droplets of the rain falling on the window panes. 

I can't remember much the things that hapened after that call, but I know for sure that I cried myself to sleep  that night. That night as well felt like the longest night of my life. Holding on into my little hope, that I'll be waking up tomorrow with the kiss of the rays of sunrise and the rain will finally stop from pouring... bringing you back home to me.