final.

out of the shadows
Please log in to read the full chapter

Joohyun is trying her absolute best to keep a straight face while listening to Junmyeon’s speech, and she thinks she’s going to lose her mind. God, the speech is so bad. Actually, it’s more like stupid. Stupid because Junmyeon’s a freaking optimist who thinks the world is going to go back to normal after being terrorized by a goddamn villian who wanted to destroy the entire planet. He’s already talking about people being able to go outside and hang out when most of them are worrying about where to live (because most of their homes were destroyed during the battle). 

But whatever, right? Junmyeon can say whatever he wants because the general public is in love with him. Joohyun could practically see the love coming from the crowd’s eyes down from the stage. Speaking from experience, Joohyun knows that his fangirls are going to send her a load of death threats if she were to send a glare in his general direction. 

“...and thank you. The world is finally at peace!” Junmyeon ends his speech on an optimistic note and sends a smile in Joohyun’s direction. 

Joohyun gives him a weary smile back and walks to the podium to give her portion of the speech--until she’s cut off by the president stepping up to the mic. 

“Another round of applause to Suho for giving such an amazing speech. Thank you for all you’ve done to save the world! The same to you, Irene, for being such an amazing sidekick.” The president gives the both of them a smile and a gesture to leave the stage. 

Joohyun gives up on controlling her expression at this point because she’s absolutely dumbfounded on what just happened. It’s only when Junmyeon helps her walk off the stage that she begins to shake with fury. 

“What the actual ?” Joohyun collapses on the couch. “Not only does he cut off my entire speech, but he also calls me a sidekick. A sidekick?”

She covers her face in anger, because god, she doesn’t know how many times she and Junmyeon clarified that they were partners. Partners! 

“I’m sorry, Joo-”

She holds up her hand to signal Junmyeon to stop talking. Junmyeon’s too soft, too ing soft and optimistic. She knows for a fact that he’ll call the president to schedule a time for Joohyun to give her speech and clarify that they’re partners if she just asked, but lord, he doesn’t truly understand why she’s always so upset when something like this happens to her. 

She’s tired of being underestimated, discredited, and ignored for her worth. She knows that it’s not Junmyeon’s fault, but she’s tired of always being overshadowed by him. 

Joohyun stands up to go to her room.

“Please don’t talk to me for the rest of the day.”

On a rooftop of a random building, Joohyun closes her eyes and basks in the moonlight. It’s at times like these when she feels completely at ease. 

“Hey, sidekick.”

Joohyun opens her eyes and sees Wind Boy floating in front of her. Suddenly, the calmness is broken, and she can’t help to roll her eyes. 

“Oh my lord, please off.” Joohyun takes a step back and crosses her arms. “Aren’t you supposed to be busy doing some villain ?”

Even behind his mask, Joohyun could see him raise his eyebrow.

“And aren’t you supposed to be busy doing some hero ?” he retorts back and mocks her by crossing his arms as well. 

Weaving a hand through her hair, Joohyun sighs and says, “I’m off-duty. Can’t you tell?” She gestures at her casual outfit with her hands. 

Wind Boy scoffs. “Yeah, but aren’t heroes supposed to be on-duty whenever?”

“If this is you trying to tell me that you stole something again, I’m just going to call Suho. I’m not going to deal with your today,” Joohyun angrily retorts back. 

“Damn.” Wind Boy raises both of his arms in surrender. “The president and press really hurt your feelings today, huh?”

Joohyun narrows her eyes at the man. “It’s nothing I’m not used to. Plus, I didn’t check the news today. I can’t believe you’re more updated on me than I am.”

Wind Boys presses his lips into a straight line and repositions himself in the air so he’s sitting cross legged. 

“So you’re telling me that the strongest superhero I know is just going to let people walk all over her?”

Feeling a little bit called out, Joohyun flinches a little (and conveniently ignores the fact that the villain just indirectly complimented her). “What? I never said that!”

The man rolls his eyes. “If I were you, I would’ve just snatched that mic out of the old man’s hand and gave my speech while cursing him out. You deserved every bit of praise and credit as Suho, if not more, for defeating The Darkness.”

Joohyun opens and becomes dumbfounded even more as Wind Boy continues on with his little speech. 

“I’ve seen you so many times risking your life to save others, but you never get the praise that you deserve. Especially with defeating The Darkness this time, you’ve basically done seventy percent of the fighting and saving while Suho was injured and out fifty percent of the time. I don’t understand why I see so many articles with ‘Suho’ in the title when you’re the one who did most of the work.” Wind Boy sighs a

Please log in to read the full chapter